The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Know Yer Mates, or a Member Above Ye (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11039)

HerenIstarion 08-11-2004 01:35 AM

Know Yer Mates, or a Member Above You

I'm in two minds as to where the following thread may belong, but, as it deals with people, it seems to suit in this here subforum more. Nevertheless, I'll gladly accept the decision to move it to Mirth in case such a decision is made.

So far with preliminaries, let me explain what it is all about. This is a kind of game I've spotted on another board, and there, in its turn, it appeared from somewhere else (the source was not provided). It was quite to my liking, so I've decided it would be nice to have something of the kind here too.

The gist of the thing is as follows:

The participants get to know other members of the board, having some fun along (I hope) The goal is achieved by providing fact or two about the author of the immediately preceding post. The facts which are exposed may be deducted out of author's other writings, found out by visiting member's profile or his/her homepage. Any information will do, but with a proviso - personal information, not otherwise published by the person you deal with, should not be revealed w/out permission (i.e., if you happen to know some of BD members IRL, do not reveal address, real name, age or any other information unless you know the person won't object).

So, participant number one gets 'squeled on' by participant number two, the latter, in turn, undergoes similar 'informing' by number three and so forth endlessly, unless we are bored or members run short :)

There is no prohibition on joining the thread several times, just try to have several posts in between your appearences. Let's say, 10 posts in between would be just to the T.

I will break said rule for the first time, just to let you have an example of what I'm driving to, so post number two will be by yours truly again :)

Let's go!

HerenIstarion 08-11-2004 01:48 AM

let's pretend it's not me, but virtual 'participant #2' :)

HerenIstarion lives in Georgia, and he's real name is George Lashkhi (see, I've just read the post above me and seen it all there)

When abroad, practical jokers he happens to meet always refer to him as 'George from Georgia'. Corny joke, to his taste (that is personal information which is not published, but I happen to know H-I won't object if I inform you about it)

He works in a bank (seen in his user profile)

========================================

Now I hope all's clear. The comments concerning the source of the information I've made in brackets are not mandatory.

Join in and have fun. And no flaming! - ask each other by PM to remove/edit something which is not to your liking, and do it in a courteous way :)

cheers

Estelyn Telcontar 08-11-2004 02:05 AM

HerenIstarion is 26 years old and was one of the very early members of the Barrow-Downs forum, since he joined almost four years ago. He can speak several languages, including Russian, and his English gets better all the time! :)

InklingElf 08-11-2004 02:11 AM

Estelyn Telcontar:She resides in Germany and is also a musician and translator. Estelyn is also a much-loved moderator of the Barrow Downs Forum -- in the areas of The Books etc.

(BTW:Great idea H-I you've outdone yourself once again!)

Estelyn Telcontar 08-11-2004 06:21 AM

(As a member who remembers a lot of older threads here, I'd like to add a couple of links as source material for this thread:

The masks of inscrutability
All About You (Part 2) (also look for Part 1)
Tolkien Coming of Age Club 2 (also part 1 as well as the Middle-Age and Teen Club threads)
...and the various regional threads, all here on the Barrow-Downs forum.

That gives you plenty of extra information to use, at least for those people who posted there!)

The Barrow-Wight 08-11-2004 06:39 AM

Estelyn Telcontar

Estelyn walks. And walks and walks and walks. Just look at the number by her name, and you'll see an incredible 1350 miles. Perhaps it is even higher as you read this.

If I recall correctly, her title, The Ghosted Princess, comes from the fact that for a time she had difficulties remaining in the chat room, constantly being disconnected. The problem was so persistent, that she cleverly used the /ghost command to chase away the lingering remains of her nick that would stay in the chatroom after such rude disconnections. It is one of my favorite titles on the Downs.

HerenIstarion 08-11-2004 07:13 AM

First drop-down of the system :)

Well, not yet ten posts after my previous, but I have to correct the course, so I'm in as an emergency mechanic type of guy - as InklingElf was, accidentally, dropped out the chain. Please note that next person to post should provide the facts about the Barrow-Wight, not me ;)

===========================

So, InklingElf lives in San Francisco,CA, studies arts and flies kites in her free-time, is a little bit sarcastic sometimes, and probably expresses her sarcasm into her writing, which she does a lot too

===========================

Don't forget, next participant does the Barrow-Wight, not me ;)

Rimbaud 08-11-2004 07:17 AM

Bw

BW is very familiar with Germany and its inhabitants. :D Mr Wight has occasionally answered to Squasher...

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-11-2004 07:58 AM

Rimbaud is a poet who frequents the quiz room. He alludes to his appearance as being somewhat short and greenish.

Fea

Gil-Galad 08-11-2004 09:23 AM

Fea is 17 and enjoys Music, art and (hopefully) Tolkiens works!

Amanaduial the archer 08-11-2004 09:24 AM

Despite her name, sixteen year old American Downer Feanor is female, and seems to reside largely in Middle Earth Mirth.

No nonsense but with a generous sense of humour, Feanor is no fan of makeup.

Has a toy bunny rabbit called Jaime ;)

Gil-Galad 08-11-2004 09:27 AM

seesh to many cross-postings...first Pio then you...

Mithadan 08-11-2004 09:45 AM

Amanaduial is a 15 yer old (almost 16) British student. She is musically inclined and similarly creative in her RPGs. She also has a reputation for speaking her mind... ;)

Gil-Galad 08-11-2004 09:56 AM

Mithadan is a mysterious fellow but a long time downer

Son of Númenor 08-11-2004 10:14 AM

I can do you one better, Mith. You're a Miami-based lawyer and sports enthusiast. And you're probably hoping that Gary Sheffield will break a leg or A-Rod will unexpectedly retire and go soul-searching in East Asia... preferably before the playoffs roll around. :D

Mithadan 08-11-2004 10:47 AM

Mike Mussina and Kevin Brown going on the DL would do just as well. ;)

Morsul the Dark 08-11-2004 10:57 AM

I think SoN is my victem?

He likes Old Threads

He Hates th Movie Sauron

and Hes 5'7 with a bit of a belly He has a manly hairy chest lol

and he hates excersize

Son of Númenor 08-11-2004 11:01 AM

Quote:

and Hes 5'7 with a bit of a belly He has a manly hairy chest lol
Heh, I knew that description would come back to haunt me. For the sake of people who may not have read that particular post in 'How do you imagine other BDers?', allow me to clarify: the description is (almost) totally false. :D
Quote:

Mike Mussina and Kevin Brown going on the DL would do just as well.
Well, those are a bit more plausible than the scenarios I suggested.

:rolleyes: :smokin:

Mithalwen 08-11-2004 11:01 AM

I reckon Gil-galad is next up.... He is 6"2 which is a bit scary since he isn't yet 15 and is a Scorpio. He is a very efficient "sheep dog" on the quiz board and his own questions can be fiendish :D

Morsul the Dark 08-11-2004 11:18 AM

Mith likes the UT

she's 5'10 and hates elves with beards

Mithalwen 08-11-2004 11:59 AM

Verily ...indeed beards in general other than on Viggo :D ..Oh bother can't do you.... NB Morsul is the next target........

Evisse the Blue 08-11-2004 12:15 PM

Morsul is very persistent (especially in the Quiz Room). He's a Downsalholic and hangs around the Downs too much for his own good. In fact, he should be doing his homework right about now, instead of hanging around ME Mirth.:D He loves the LOTR movies and hasn't read the Silm yet. He also likes Harry Potter.

EDIT: Right, hehe, no HW in summer. Fine season, summer. :p

Morsul the Dark 08-11-2004 12:19 PM

very good although it is summer right now so I have no hw at the moment so I get to hang out here all day

The Only Real Estel 08-11-2004 01:03 PM

Morsul the Dark's real name is Andrew & he hates rock music :cool:.

Morsul the Dark 08-11-2004 01:19 PM

Estel read the books first

one of his favorite battles is gandalf vs balrog

your hard to find info on

Gil-Galad 08-11-2004 01:21 PM

You got your name from an RPG, which you play as a sixth Istari

Morsul the Dark 08-11-2004 01:22 PM

did i say that?...its not true...looks at all old posts...

Gil-Galad 08-11-2004 01:24 PM

yes you said that i remember... Morsul the Dark, of the Istari, Wrath greater then Sauron and so on

The Perky Ent 08-11-2004 01:25 PM

Gil-Galad got his avatar from Homestarrunner.com

Gil-Galad 08-11-2004 01:25 PM

Perky has a distinct likeness for Calvin and Hobbes cartoons and its characters

Son of Númenor 08-11-2004 01:27 PM

Ahem

From post #1:
Quote:

There is no prohibition on joining the thread several times, just try to have several posts in between your appearences. Let's say, 10 posts in between would be just to the T.

The Perky Ent 08-11-2004 01:29 PM

Alrighty! I'll hold off for a while!

Amanaduial the archer 08-11-2004 03:35 PM

So this would be...Gil Galad who I am doing now? Hmm, well being as he has posted here rather frequently over the last page...

Gil Galad is searching for a Trogdor avatar (sorry, I have nothing...)

Imladris 08-11-2004 03:37 PM

Aman loves the film Sound of Music (post 319)

Estelyn Telcontar 08-11-2004 03:49 PM

Imladris is a student; she loves the Harry Potter books and got a movie poster for that reason. She wishes she had green eyes. (source of info: I know where she blogs! ;) )

Firefoot 08-11-2004 04:21 PM

It's fun to go dig up inforformation about people. More so than I thought it would be anyway. Esty, I can't find much, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. :rolleyes: ;)

Estelyn first got her LotR book from her boyfriend 31 years ago, and she still has it.

Morsul the Dark 08-11-2004 04:30 PM

firfoot is christian and likes hiking

Sirithheruwen 08-11-2004 07:37 PM

Morsul is named Andrew, much to Fea of the P.'s chagrin. He also posted only 8 times a couple days ago. ;)

Gil-Galad 08-11-2004 09:27 PM

Sirithheruwen is rather friendly though her avvie might scare some people

Child of the 7th Age 08-11-2004 10:02 PM

Hey. this is too much fun to pass up....

Gil-galad likes to lift weights and plays hockey, which potentially makes him a very dangerous guy when he gets mad! :eek:

~Child