The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   pet names (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5045)

Ithildin 02-03-2003 10:51 AM

pet names

hullu [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
If I had a black stallion, I would name it Morannon!
What about you??? what Middle-Earth name would you give your pet??
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Inderjit Sanghera 02-03-2003 11:12 AM

Hi and welcome to the downs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A topic of this nature would be more welcome in 'Middle-Earth mayhem' or 'Novices and Newcomers', try searching for it.

burrahobbit 02-03-2003 05:49 PM

My cat is named Midnight!

Manardariel 02-04-2003 01:56 PM

I re-named our neighbours cat into Gandalf... only unfortunaty it´s a girl-cat, so now she´s Sindawen (grey girl).
If I had a pet, I´d go for Lúthien and Arwen for cats, Eowyn, Pippin or Strider for dogs and Sam for a pony (if I wanted one, which I don´t...)

Meela 02-04-2003 02:13 PM

my cats are called Gandalf and elentari (also known as gollum)

we have 7... 10... 12 spiders i think... they are named after actors, with a few random characters thrown in:

Karl Urban (resident mum- named karl cos didnt realise it was sprouting kids at the time)
Karl Jr.
Haldir (who climbed out of the window and never came back)
John Noble (plays denethor for those of u who havent memorised the cast list as i have)
Aragorn
Boromir
David Wenham (i hope u all know he plays Faramir!)

then theres Craig Parker (haldir) under the mantlepiece, Marton Csokas (celeborn) on the stairs, Miranda Dourif and Brad Bernard, who are drawing pins turned honourary spiders (dont ask...), and i think i named the kitchen one Faramir... and Yorgi lives in my room (unrelated to lotr)

if i had a horse id name it... something that i cant remember....

PeregrinTook 02-04-2003 02:20 PM

My fish is Frodo, and the two cats, well, we got them before I'd even heard about LotR (uh, same with the fish, but I can rename him it's not like he anseweres when I call him by his name or anything...), and, so, my cats aren't named after any LotR characters 'cause they're too attached to their names... But I would have called them Pippin and Merry!

nevlhachien 02-04-2003 03:32 PM

i played with somebody else's dog thats name was frodo and he was so cute! if i got another cat(i have 2 already) id name it smeagol b/c i think that is the coolest cutest name. oh another good cat name would be legolas. well i could go on and on about pet names so i better stop. oh i have a fish named bob. maybe i should re-name him something like...........faramir or if anyone can think of any thing cooler for a red beta.
namarie
-Nevie

Meela 02-04-2003 03:36 PM

found it! i would name a horse either haetathra or eomer or brego (although that is reserved for my son if i ever have one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

eleanor_niphredil 02-04-2003 03:40 PM

I had two little hamsters called Merry and Pippin, who acted really in their characters until Merry ate Pippin. Now THAT I would love to see in the movie!

Meela 02-04-2003 03:41 PM

lol!!!

Manardariel 02-04-2003 04:04 PM

Ugh. Your hamsters ate each other???????
I don´t want to think about it....... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

eleanor_niphredil 02-04-2003 04:15 PM

think about it? try coming home to one and a half hamsters! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Shy Hobbit 02-04-2003 04:40 PM

We got all of our pets before I saw LOTR, but if I get a grey horse, his name will be Gandalf.

This isn't a pet, but I'm naming my 68 Mustang Shadowfax. I'm gonna paint it white with the blackout headlights.

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 02-04-2003 05:11 PM

Merry ate Pippin? I had a dream where Pippin ate Merry's waistcoat, but that is another tale.
cat: Elbereth/Galadriel/Elrond/Oh any elf names ( i know i know Elbereth is not an elf...)
dog: Any of the hobbit's names/Strider
fish:Feanor
pony: Fatty Lumpkin/Bill/Stybba
hamster/guinea pig etc:Pippin/Merry/Fatty Bolger/Bilbo/any fat, cuddly sounding name

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]

Vardadurwen 02-04-2003 05:38 PM

I don't have any pets, but my aunt had two cats named Bilbo and Frodo. Also, my dad named his french horn Gandalf and my uncle called his '76 Cougar Gollum!

luin'loki 02-04-2003 05:48 PM

When I'm grown up I'm going to get a cat and name it Legolas and a dog and name it Pippin or Merry depending on the personality and a horse and name it after whatever horse Legolas and Gimli ride on in TTT. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

nevlhachien 02-04-2003 06:38 PM

lol! Merry ate Pippin! that is crazy. my friends dog ate her hamster. so....what should i name my fish? i still can't decide. it has to be a ME name. someone help me!
namarie
-Nevie

Rose Cotton 02-04-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

think about it? try coming home to one and a half hamsters!
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! Now I'm going to have nightmares!

female dog: Rosie
male dog: Samwise, Strider
female cat: Galadriel, Morwen
male cat: Samwise, Faramir

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 02-05-2003 05:03 PM

im going to get a jack russell terrier and name it Pippin, if i get two itll be Pippin and Merry, and im going to get a cat and name it Elbereth...thats such a catlike name, practically ALL elven/valar names are. And of course if I get a pony it will be called Bill, and if i get a horse it will be called Shadowfax/Brego/Hasufel/Arod depending on what colour it is.

BTW, Gimli and Legolas ride on a horse called Arod. At least they do in the books, im not sure about the movie.

[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Horse-Maiden of the Shire ]

Meela 02-06-2003 02:19 PM

hasufel and arod: eomer whistled and called their names in the movies

elven maiden Earwen 05-26-2003 07:29 PM

I have two little black kittens named Eärwen and Arwen(my lil sis named Arwen) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And people think I'm obsessed [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Tarien Ithil 05-27-2003 11:48 AM

Hmmmm....I would have called my budgie Eomer if I'd thought about it at the time! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But my cat's middle name in Undomiel! (just thought you'd like to know that!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anything but Arwen 05-27-2003 12:08 PM

Well,not quite the same, but my cat, Simba, is now known as Shinyhouse, because a couple of years ago i had just read the silmarillion, and theres a dictionary of elvish in the back, and i noticed

Silm : Shiny

Bar: House...

And it was so damn stupid that it stuck...

Anything but Arwen 05-28-2003 06:58 AM

Well, my friend has two dogs, called Strider and Boromir, and two cats called Sauron, and,um, Voldemort...

I dont ask...

[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

mark12_30 05-28-2003 11:55 AM

We named a basset-beagle Thorin Oakenshield, once. But after all-out war against him for a month and a half, and ruined rugs, we returned him to the pound. Stiffnecked dwarf! Ruined rugs!! We then got a lab-greyhound who was downright angelic. I wanted to name her "Angelina" but hubby said no. We compromised, and "Lena" won out.

We haven't done any middle-earth pet-names since. Thorin was NOT a good precedent...

peony_foxburr 05-28-2003 10:24 PM

My very first cat strayed into my life the same year I first read LOTR, so naturally had to be named Frodo. (His sister, however, got a very non-Tolkien name of Prudence) They were some sort of Maine Coon Cat/tabby mix with long hair--unfortunately, when the boarding school year ended I was told I couldn't bring them back, and my parents wouldn't let me keep them because my father was (allegedly) allergic to them. The semi-happy ending was that my WONDERFUL aunt (for whom I was named) placed them in a no-kill animal shelter near San Diego and they were adopted. But Frodo did live up to his name in that we said goodbye before I was ready...Since my current menagerie allhave non-ME names, I am plugging them into the Name Generator so they, too, can participate in RPGs and internet forums [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Yavanna228 05-29-2003 08:39 AM

Maybe I will re-name my fish Beren or something. Right now his name is Simon, but, alas, that is not a Tolkien name. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Beren the goldfish. Sounds good to me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace

purplefluffychainsaw 05-29-2003 01:49 PM

Loni, where'd u get that dragon??? It's BEAUTIFUL!!!! SOrry, had to come out.

Right... My dragon is called Elennar... mmm... Elennar...

If I ever get a black cat it is going to be Gilmor... ANd no one can stop me!!!

My daemon is Romen. She's a bob cat and she'sEven more Beautiful than Loni's dragon.

Okay, that's enough random stuff for now. Tell me if I've freaked you out yet...

(I had hardly any sleep last night. I'm tried. So just don't say anything. My brain cell hurts... **Dodges Leo**)

peonydeepdelver 06-01-2003 11:19 AM

In one week I'm getting an 8-week old grey Netherland Dwarf rabbit, whom I've decided to name Pip. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Since he is a Dwarf rabbit (hey Gimli! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]), he won't get much bigger than two pounds, and Pip is short for Pipsqueak and of course Pippin [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . He's so adorable and loves to cuddle and look around from your shoulder.

Lasgalen 06-02-2003 02:59 PM

I used to have a dog named Pippin and one named Beren. Right now I don't have any LotR dogs. (unless there is an Angelo somewhere that I overlooked [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

Amanaduial the archer 06-03-2003 01:40 PM

I intend to have a pony called Pippin, or Pip, when I'm older. Odd that such a sweet name comes from the name of a falcon- a Peregrin.

Yavanna228 06-03-2003 01:52 PM

Oddly enough, Aman, the word/name Pippin can mean 'apple' or 'a highly admired or very admirable person or thing.' Just another useless tidbit! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace

Lasgalen 06-03-2003 03:26 PM

Also, Pip is a disease of fowl that is like Bronchitis.

akhtene 06-03-2003 03:34 PM

My pet is a cute little tortoise called AGATHA. My daughter chose that name for her, as her shell looks like some of my agate earrings; as simple as that. Never thought of giving her any Tolkien-related name.
Just the other day re-reading 'Farmer Gilles' I discovered that Agatha was the name of the Farmer's wife, probably as placid and round a lady as my dear tortoise. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ElenCala Isil 06-03-2003 06:37 PM

Well, naturally my semi non-exsistant hamster's name is Frodo. I've also named the voices in my head, Smeagol, Deagol, Gollum, Merry, Pippin, Frodalf, Frippin, and Mippin.. the rest are currently unnamed as they don't talk that often. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

peonydeepdelver 06-25-2003 12:39 PM

Quote:

Oddly enough, Aman, the word/name Pippin can mean 'apple' or 'a highly admired or very admirable person or thing.' Just another useless tidbit!
Yes, and oddly enough, my rabbit loves apples! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Yavanna Kementari 06-25-2003 07:47 PM

Wow it has been a really long time since I last posted! * bows to every one (old and new members alike)*

I don't have a pet named after a character, however, I do have a daughter that bears the name Lalaith. It is elvish for laughter [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] because she makes Aulë and I laugh. This is a cute thread! Welcome to all those who are new hope you enjoy your haunting experience!!
-(~(~> Yavanna

Silmiel of Imladris 06-25-2003 07:48 PM

If I ever go another horse that was young enough to rename I would name it Narfaroth which is elvish for Fire Hunt.

Alatáriël Lossëhelin 06-25-2003 09:50 PM

Quote:

I'm naming my 68 Mustang Shadowfax
Shy Hobbit: I'm envious. My very first car in 1969 was a 68 Mustang. Alas...sold long, long ago.

I have a minature Schnauser that I named 'Worf' after my favorite Klingon, and I call my Ford truck 'Strider'.

purplefluffychainsaw 06-27-2003 06:30 AM

I might be getting two new kittens and they are SO going to be Elrond and Elros. Only, my mother might not let me name them because I named our other cat. (Tobias - this was ages before I found LotR!) So then it'll have to be their nicknames...