The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Members - Introduce Yourself Here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2941)

Faramir Jones 03-20-2018 08:46 AM

Good to have you back!

Good to have you back, Eldorion! :)

Rhun charioteer 06-16-2018 10:32 PM

I'm not a "new" member per se but I haven't introduced myself.

I was first introduced Tolkien and LOTR through the cartoon movies in the seventies and then Jackson's movies and I read the books six years later.

Anyway Tolkien's legendarium has since I was introduced to it been a passion of mine and I have always wanted to read and learn more about the wonderful world Tolkien created.

Inziladun 06-17-2018 02:41 PM

Well, welcome anyway, Rhun charioteer! You've already made some interesting contributions here.

Faramir Jones 06-20-2018 10:02 AM

Welcome!

As Inziladun said, welcome to you anyway, Rhun charioteer! Please don't worry about the delay in introducing yourself. I lurked for a long time before I decided to join, let alone make any contributions...

Merrymatt 08-20-2018 09:17 PM

Greetings and Bienvenue Fellow Tolkien Fans
My name is Matthew Rascoe or Merrymatt by others, I’m an aspiring comic/film writer and Tolkien has been a major hero for my entire reading life.

Pervinca Took 08-20-2018 11:06 PM

Welcome on board, Merrymatt! :)

Galadriel55 08-21-2018 05:21 AM

Welcome, Merrymatt! I see you found the RPG subforum already. I hope you enjoy the rest of the site as well.

Huinesoron 08-21-2018 06:23 AM

Welcome, Merrymatt; I think you're the first actual new person to post on this thread since me, so doubly welcome! :)

hS

Merrymatt 08-21-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 712387)
Welcome, Merrymatt! I see you found the RPG subforum already. I hope you enjoy the rest of the site as well.

I intend to spread my love of Tolkien throughout this forum

Galadriel55 09-08-2018 07:30 PM

i want to welcome the [currently] newest member of our forum, Lobelia's Umbrella. I don't know who you are but your screen name is beautiful. :cool:

Pervinca Took 09-09-2018 03:31 AM

Indeed! A brilliant, hobbitty name. Welcome aboard, Lobelia's Umbrella.

Barandiun 04-10-2020 07:19 PM

Hi! My name is Tyler and I like hobbits. I'm TheGreatElvenWarrior's significant other.

Galadriel55 04-10-2020 07:26 PM

Hi Tyler! Welcome to the Downs! Hope to see you around the forums in the coming days. :)

Do you prefer to use Tyler or Barandiun?

Urwen 04-11-2020 02:42 AM

Well, it seems I've never introduced myself either, so I'd like to remedy that. I am Marie aka Urwen, oldest child of Hurin, tamer of geese and lover of Meglin.

Pervinca Took 04-11-2020 12:50 PM

Welcome aboard, Baranduin/Tyler!

TheGreatElvenWarrior 04-16-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 722338)
Hi Tyler! Welcome to the Downs! Hope to see you around the forums in the coming days. :)

Do you prefer to use Tyler or Barandiun?

G55, I just asked, and Baranduin is great! :D

Imladviel 10-20-2020 11:28 AM

Hello, hello, hello!

It's been a while...

I used to be a regular here in 2003ish... my username back then was Niphredil Baggins. I can't log in to that account because I made it with my university email. Not being an university student anymore (no, I didn't graduate, I dropped out), I don't have access to it.

I don't think anyone remembers me, and it might be better to make a new start anyways, as I have changed much from that constantly drunk chaotic half-hobbit persona I adopted.

I'm honestly surprised this place is still here! :eek:

Inziladun 10-20-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imladviel (Post 729292)
I used to be a regular here in 2003ish... my username back then was Niphredil Baggins. I can't log in to that account because I made it with my university email. Not being an university student anymore (no, I didn't graduate, I dropped out), I don't have access to it.

I don't think anyone remembers me, and it might be better to make a new start anyways, as I have changed much from that constantly drunk chaotic half-hobbit persona I adopted.

Welcome back! I remember seeing you here and there, but that was during my own 'sabbatical'; I didn't really get back to regular visiting until 2008.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imladviel (Post 729292)
I'm honestly surprised this place is still here! :eek:

It amazes me also. When I look back on where I was when I joined, and how much in RL has changed, that this place is still around is a great comfort to me. :)

Hope to see you more!

Imladviel 10-21-2020 07:04 AM

Thanks, Inziladun!

I realized I didn't actually tell anything about myself. I am almost 39 years old, I am owned by one cat, I live alone and am unemployed. I have also recently become an aunt!

I am in the risk groups for corona because of an illness, so I have decided to isolate myself as much as possible. This means I am at home a lot and getting bored, which is why I had the idea to see if this old haunt was still here. :)

Inziladun 10-21-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imladviel (Post 729301)
I realized I didn't actually tell anything about myself. I am almost 39 years old, I am owned by one cat, I live alone and am unemployed. I have also recently become an aunt!

Congratulations on you Aunt status!

Quote:

I am in the risk groups for corona because of an illness, so I have decided to isolate myself as much as possible. This means I am at home a lot and getting bored, which is why I had the idea to see if this old haunt was still here. :)

Well, there's certainly a lot here to peruse. Just after the Covid onset there was an uptick of activity. I'm anticipating more when the Amazon LOTR series emerges.

Galadriel55 10-21-2020 11:24 AM

Welcome back, Imladviel! Once a Downer, always a Downer? ;) I am too recently dead to have met you before, but looking forward to seeing you around!

Now that I think of it, I have been dead 10 years this month. 10 years, and it is still too recent. Also, several more years and I will have been on the Downs for longer than I lived without it. I am having a mid-death crisis, maybe.

Blind Guardian 10-21-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

I have also recently become an aunt!

For some reason I read this as "I recently became an adult" and was very confused. I even reread it multiple times...

Anyways, welcome/welcome back!

Blind Guardian 10-21-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 729303)
Now that I think of it, I have been dead 10 years this month. 10 years, and it is still too recent. Also, several more years and I will have been on the Downs for longer than I lived without it. I am having a mid-death crisis, maybe.

OMG me too! I was 13 when I first found the Downes, but I didn't make an account until I was 14. Now I'm 24... geeze time flies!

Galadriel55 10-21-2020 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Guardian (Post 729310)
OMG me too! I was 13 when I first found the Downes, but I didn't make an account until I was 14. Now I'm 24... geeze time flies!

Same here, down to the years! :eek: Except I made an account within the hour of finding the Downs at the tail end of 13 - never thinking I would need it for more than one post.

Hey! Let's celebrate the double digits this weekend. Throw a Downer skype party or something. Do a bit of favourite passage reading, play online 20 questions, tell Tolkien jokes. Downers used to do skype reads, maybe we can revive the tradition.

Imladviel 10-22-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 729302)
Congratulations on you Aunt status!

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 729303)
Welcome back, Imladviel! Once a Downer, always a Downer? ;) I am too recently dead to have met you before, but looking forward to seeing you around!

Thanks! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Guardian (Post 729309)
For some reason I read this as "I recently became an adult" and was very confused. I even reread it multiple times...

Anyways, welcome/welcome back!

I'm never going to be an adult. :p Thank you!

araxhiel 12-12-2020 09:58 PM

Hi all!

My name is Anton, and although I was aware of this forum, I never registered before (yeah, procrastination is kinda strong).

I knew about TLotR since I was a kid, as where we used to rent movies they had a copy of the 1978 animated movie (but my mom never choose that to take home LOL). A decade later, Peter Jackson's movies happened, and that was my first real approach to Tolkien's work.

Unfortunately, the only book that I've read of this series was the Silmarillion (around 2003) and being honest, I had the intention to read the other books, but never read them (procrastination strikes again...).

This next year I'll try to correct that, as I have decided to read all the books (and that's also a personal goal for next year)... Although I'm kinda nervous, as I'm attempting to read them in English, instead a translated version (The Silmarillion that I read back then was a translated version).

P.S. Sorry for my grammar mistakes, even after all these years I still have a long feud with grammar/verbs.

Inziladun 12-13-2020 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by araxhiel (Post 729560)
Hi all!

Welcome, araxhiel!

Quote:

Unfortunately, the only book that I've read of this series was the Silmarillion (around 2003) and being honest, I had the intention to read the other books, but never read them (procrastination strikes again...).

This next year I'll try to correct that, as I have decided to read all the books (and that's also a personal goal for next year)... Although I'm kinda nervous, as I'm attempting to read them in English, instead a translated version (The Silmarillion that I read back then was a translated version).

Well, as a native English speaker I can tell you that The Silmarillion is usually considered rather difficult for the average reader; LOTR (and especially The Hobbit) are considerably easier. Maybe, then, you've already done the hard part! ;)

Quote:

P.S. Sorry for my grammar mistakes, even after all these years I still have a long feud with grammar/verbs.

Your post is entirely understandable, and that's what matters.

Galadriel55 12-13-2020 12:38 PM

Hello Araxhiel!

It's exciting to have new people join! Welcome to the Downs!

And join the Translated Tolkien club! I knew Tolkien exclusively in Russian for years before I ever read the English copy of the books. I find that I relate to them differently, they have a different feel. I tend to prefer The Sil, The Hobbit, Children of Hurin and the other smaller works in the original English, but have a very soft spot for the Muravyov-Kistyakovsky translation of LOTR. It's actually been years since I read LOTR in English, and was planning to do a cover-to-cover of that at some point. I think my point is, translations count too! And are equally fun to discuss, when you get a few people with bilingual Tolkien experience together. :)

Mithalwen 12-13-2020 05:21 PM

Hi, I have recently been adopted by very much non identical twin kittens. They don’t have Tolkien names unfortunately as I work with their mother’s person and got too used to their original names.

Fordim Hedgethistle 12-14-2020 10:37 AM

*whew*

Far from new but it feels like a fresh start -- I could not remember my password for the Downs and could not find it saved on either of my computers! For several days I was entirely locked from my account, before finally finding my login information on my old phone.

So, that was close.

*re-engage lurk mode*

Rune Son of Bjarne 12-14-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle (Post 729569)
Far from new but it feels like a fresh start -- I could not remember my password for the Downs and could not find it saved on either of my computers! For several days I was entirely locked from my account, before finally finding my login information on my old phone.

So, that was close.

*re-engage lurk mode*

What a harrowing near death experience.

Welcome back amongst the dead! :smokin:

hamidradami 12-24-2020 12:51 PM

Hi everyone my name is hamid radami, I'm an absolute fan of Middle earth world, I remembered when I was 14 I watched 3 the Lord of the Rings movies then I bought The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth and playing a lot after that I realized The Silmarillion book, what a masterpiece, right now I'm playing another Lord of the Rings game(Divide and Conquer mod for Medieval II) It's a strategy game, so you can raise an army and attack the other factions in middle earth when I searched about the Morgoth I found your community, so I decided to register, my other hobbies are watching anime and movies, so I hope we have a great time with each other here.
Sorry if I have any mistake in my grammar, English is my second language.

Pervinca Took 12-25-2020 08:41 AM

Welcome aboard, Hamid!

Galadriel55 12-25-2020 09:17 AM

Hi Hamid! Welcome to the Downs!

Soriman the Whide 03-26-2021 12:05 AM

2021 new user coming through. This place is dead right?

Huinesoron 03-26-2021 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soriman the Whide (Post 730149)
2021 new user coming through. This place is dead right?

Hi Soriman, welcome to the Downs! Naturally the place is dead - I myself am a ghostly Prince of Cardolan (apparently).

Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.

:D

hS

Mithadan 03-26-2021 10:36 AM

Welcome Soriman. Define "dead" please and enjoy your stay here.

Soriman the Whide 03-26-2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithadan (Post 730163)
Welcome Soriman. Define "dead"

Seems as though an ent might keep pace here.

Formendacil 03-27-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soriman the Whide (Post 730166)
Seems as though an ent might keep pace here.

I've been describing myself as a "treeish" user for something like eight/nine years, so at this point the Ents might be the active ones in this particular Fangorn...

But welcome to these shady woods all the same. I am enjoying your username if only because, in the wake of reading Tolkien's Chaucer, it's making me think that it would be an excellent and not implausible alterative Middle English spelling for our favourite master of Isengard.

Galadriel55 03-27-2021 07:52 AM

Welcome, Soriman! I think this place is suitable for Ents and Huorns and trees and merry hobbits alike, even hasty wizards have their place. Take your pick and enjoy!