The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Real LOTR Places (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5514)

Brinniel 09-27-2002 09:46 PM

Real LOTR Places

I know people have posted LOTR street names and such, but here are some actual pictures of places with LOTR names.

Rivendell Apartment
http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net..._rivendell.jpg

I would like to eat here.
http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net...0102_grill.jpg

And it's Rohan!
http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net...0102_rohan.jpg

NazgulNumberTen 09-27-2002 09:53 PM

there is a restaurant called the hobbit. i have been there.

Tigerlily Gamgee 09-28-2002 12:38 AM

I know where a Pippin's Tavern is. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Rose Cotton 09-28-2002 05:28 AM

I once saw a place named Galadriel's Jewlery Store. Too bad I didn't get a picture.

Lady_Báin 09-28-2002 08:04 AM

there's a store called Gimli's golf store but i don't have a digital camera/scanner so i can't share.. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] but it's fun to think of dwarves playing golf

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]

Anastasia 09-28-2002 08:28 AM

I know an office company called Lorien. I pass it on the way to my friend's house. Only the O doesnt have an accent on it.

Isilya 09-28-2002 01:09 PM

In Minnesota, there's a travel agency called Hobbit Travel!!

VanimaEdhel 09-28-2002 01:32 PM

Yeah: I know about the Lorien thing. Once, I was bored so I typed lorien.com and it took me to the company site...I got freaked out and left the website...

Orome 09-29-2002 01:35 PM

there is a middle earth music hall near my house, i have never gone though. the website is http://www.middle-earth-music.com/

Tigerlily Gamgee 09-29-2002 02:31 PM

Oh yeah... there is a store in Ann Arbor, MI called Middle Earth. They have a bunch of new age items (jewelry, candles) and a bunch of pop culture things (lots of tees), but not too much LOTR stuff [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 09-29-2002 02:32 PM

You should sent those to the BW. He has a section for LOTR signs, maybe he'd make one for places. I plan on taking pics of these when I get the chance.

Kithrèna Greenarrow Legolas 09-29-2002 02:47 PM

Heheh, If I ever deside on takeing a road trip(When I get older, that is) I'm deffently gonna visit these places [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Isilya 09-29-2002 03:03 PM

I'll join ya!!

Aryan 01-31-2003 02:16 PM

i passed the sigh for a place called Tuckborough well i think thats how it was spelt but the thought flashed through my mind that if i ever learn to drive, i'm gona go there [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] maybe i'll meet some hobbits, maybe i'll meet some Tooks..maybe i'll meet Pippin!!!! YAY!!

Arien 01-31-2003 02:26 PM

I have been in to a Archer shop called Legolas'.

And........

I live near a Farm called Buckland farm.......... I guess that kind of relates

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 02-01-2003 11:23 PM

I put this in another thread but about two or three hours from my town is a town called Gimli. Heh heh heh...

Morgul Queen 02-06-2003 08:39 PM

Well I live near a place called Kaitoke reserve, but it is known through out the world as Rivendell...

Maylin 02-06-2003 08:49 PM

during youth group camps, my group is usually with a group from BRANDYWINE!

Brinniel 05-26-2003 10:41 AM

A phone book can do wonders. I found a Greenleaf Cafe and several Greenleaf stores (most likely started up by fangirls [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). I also found in the phone book Greenwood Apartments.

Shy Hobbit 05-26-2003 07:02 PM

There is a nearby apartment complex called Brandywine [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] There's also a Greenleaf auto repair place.

Tarien Ithil 05-29-2003 11:44 AM

I know of a daycare centre just down the road called Bilbo Baggins [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. My little cousin goes there!

Oh, and there's a fire brigade around here called Bree-gade! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
(don't know if that counts!) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lossentilien 05-29-2003 12:41 PM

There's a sports/camping type store near me called Rohan.
And no one's mentioned Gandalf Airlines! Not exactly a place, but still.
This doesn't really count, but before Orlando Bloom did LOTR, he was in a show called Midsomer Murders, and there was a garden in his episode called Lothlorien....spooky huh?

purplefluffychainsaw 05-29-2003 01:28 PM

HA! I know where OB lives and it's near me! Sorry, had to come out... I've been supressing it for AGES. Anyway, on the way to the beach once I passed a place called Rivendell. Mum was going to fast to have a proper look though [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] And there's a place by me called Buckland hill... I should propably go see what's up there... Hobbit holes?

Brinniel 08-16-2003 12:14 AM

My family was driving along the Oregon Coast when we passed a sign which my dad swears said Hobbit Trail (though I can't back that up myself). I never got a chance to get a good look at it, but I think it was a hiking path.

Meela 08-16-2003 06:19 AM

I know a house called Lothlorien.

Daisy Brambleburr 08-16-2003 06:52 AM

Well, I live close to a place called Buckland and my dad has a pair of 'Rohan' trousers!

Lord of Angmar 08-16-2003 07:35 AM

Quote:

there is a middle earth music hall near my house, i have never gone though. the website is http://www.middle-earth-music.com/
I went to the website, and was disappointed when I found nothing really Middle Earthy about it. Then, I looked at the performance schedule and there was a band slated to play called "Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams."

In Maryland there is a golf shop called Baggins Golf and Game.

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]

Goldberry 08-16-2003 08:38 AM

I once passed this place with "ENT" written in huge letters on the side of it. And there's a town nearby my house called Moira; it always reminds me of Moria....but that doesn't really count...

Yavanna228 08-16-2003 08:58 AM

Well, as some of you probably know there is a Brandywine in Pennsylvania somewhat close to where I live. There's a battlefield there from the Revolutionary War. It's in a lovely part of the country. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-16-2003 09:36 AM

It's amusing to see people re-using Tolkien's names just as he did with older ones. As a result of his references there are some places in England that have received Tolkienian associations.

In the Royal County of Berkshire, about twenty miles from where I live, there's a town called Newbury. This is either a coincidence brought about by Tolkien's use of English naming systems or a deliberate re-use by him of the real place.

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]

ElenCala Isil 08-16-2003 10:07 AM

There's a chain of some sort of company thingy called 'ELF' downtown from where I live

arianrod 08-16-2003 08:32 PM

Quote:

there is a restaurant called the hobbit. i have been there.
Yup, the good ol' Hobbit Cafe. We have one in Houston. My current goal in life (well, maybe that's a bit dramatic, but oh well) is to get a job there ASAP. I love it there...

Sleepy Ranger 08-17-2003 01:46 PM

Ive said this in another thread but I'll say it again Rohan is a common name in my country.Its even my friends name. And my name is an elvish word and my names been around long before Tolkien was born [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Im serious.

Melephelwen 08-18-2003 08:46 AM

I saw a sign in Zambia with something 'Shire' - it was the only part of it I got, because we drove to fast past it, but I'm sure.
And I saw a 'Hobbit Guest House' in South Africa...

purplefluffychainsaw 08-19-2003 08:50 AM

There's a place up by Oxford called Bagshot!!! I wonder... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Oh yeah, and there's a pub called the Green Dragon in Wales! But the dragon on it looks more like a griffin
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: purplefluffychainsaw ]

Orominuialwen 07-17-2004 04:17 PM

There is a Greenleaf, Wisconsin. I once looked through the whole index of strret names in my area and found streets named Greenwood, Greenleaf, Merry, and Ent. As soon as I learn to drive I plan to go and take pictures of their signs. There is also a Bag End Sound Productions, LothLorien Housing Co-op, and a company that repairs fax equipment called Shadowfax around here. :D

My grandma has been to a restaurant called Bilbo's in Alexandria, Virginia. I wonder if the picture Brinniel posted is of it?

One of the Nine 07-17-2004 04:37 PM

Well, not much 'round here, but there is a street called Greenwood about a block away from where I live. Travel it all the time. It's a pretty street.

You know, it never occured to me that there would be that much Tolkien stuff in regular every day life, but it might be that it came from when the book first came out, 20 years ago maybe? The book was probably just as big of a hit back then as it was and still is now. Some of these names might have been made shortly after they came out, buying licences to the names and whatnot. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

elfearz1 07-17-2004 10:45 PM

My sisters and I went to this used CD store in a city about a half hour from ours and I saw on some directions (I think it was on a garage sale sign) and the house was on Greenleaf dr. I didn't get a chance to take pictures though.

Lalwendë 07-18-2004 10:55 AM

Up in Whitby, North Yorkshire, there's The Middle Earth Tavern. I think the name, though, is post-Tolkien (although it's been called that for at least 15 years). It's quite old, and on the harbourside (Church Street) so you can watch the boats in the marina while you sup your ale. Most importantly, it does a cracking pint of Theakston's Old Peculier, and there's plenty of fish and chip shops nearby. Mmmmmmmmm.

Also in North Yorkshire, there's The Green Dragon Inn. This is a really old country pub, and at the back, there is Hardraw Force, the highest single drop waterfall in England, which has a very 'magical' atmosphere.

Mithalwen 07-18-2004 11:07 AM

With the house named Lothlorian (sic) in the Midsomer Murders, I wondered whether it was it was a little joke/ tribute since it has no significance to the plot. Bloom got offered LOTR the day before he was offered the part in MM and filmed it first.....

Rohan is in France..... most English county names end in shire.... and Tolkien did reuse typical elements ... There is a Micheldever between Winchester and Basingstoke for instance