The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Which place in Middleearth is mostly close to your Heart? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2688)

Amanfalath 06-25-2003 03:27 AM

Which place in Middleearth is mostly close to your Heart?

Between the golden leaves of Lothlorien I have born;there is no better place than my home...
Ai galwen Lothlorien
Mallen derria gelaidhlhess
Si galwen vea gussad
Enia tegia galwin lyr
Si galwen vea gussad
Tegi enia golw o thin nenena
A peda noi,ur urieb
Mi durnen henenon,nah echima
Duath,pedena beth tolothe
Melloniaur,henenon echien
Nermo mi,vea loralenon
Ai galwen Lothlorien
Ai atenothien echi
Mi lor nin cuinothos
Ai galwen Lothlorien

Estelyn Telcontar 06-25-2003 04:46 AM

Since this post is not a book discussion, I'm moving the thread to the Novices and Newcomers forum. Perhaps you could give us a translation of your poem, since most of us don't know which language it is?

Amanfalath 06-25-2003 05:41 AM

I have a translation only in german,but I will try to fix it in english.

[ June 25, 2003: Message edited by: Amanfalath ]

Amanfalath 06-25-2003 06:11 AM

The translation could be such...
O fair lan Lothlorien
Gold stand the leafage of the trees
Here so fair as nowhere
Who covers fair dreams to us
Here so fair as nowhere
The arts of this land amount us
The truly glanse of elven hand
must shine to whom it once saw
and stayed it forever thare
in black waters saw I ,but not myself
Dark,the furure creid
Old friend,I saw you there
sorrowing while I have slept
I fair land Lorhlorien
Will I ever see you again
In my dream you will grow up again
I fair land lothlorien [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Olorin 06-25-2003 09:04 PM

Hmm, either Lorien, Rivendell or Valinor. All such magical places.

Maylin 06-25-2003 10:26 PM

i dont know, i love the ageless feel of Rivendell and Lothlorien, but I love the simplicity of the Shire as well. There is no place on earth like either of them, sadly.

GlingleglingleglingleFairy 06-25-2003 11:00 PM

Minas Tirith, certainly. I can't live not being near the sea, and though Rivendell and Lothlorien are enchanting, I can't love them as they're too perfect for me.

Wren 06-26-2003 12:44 AM

The thought of Mirkwood seems to get my blood pumping more than any others. Maybe because it is such a mysterious and evil place, but inhabited by the good elves as well.

The same could be said of the Old Forest with it's Old Man Willow, the Barrow Wight close by it's also the home of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry.

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Wren ]

Meela 06-26-2003 01:43 PM

Minas Tirith is my home, but I feel a strong connection to Rohan. But I always feel particularly attached to Dol Amroth, and to a certain extent Mirkwood. And most definitely Arnor.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 06-26-2003 01:54 PM

i like mirkwood too, i didn't picture it to be so evil or horrible place, especially the northern part of it would be nice. but even better place could be the fangorn forest - so old and mysterious. or maybe just the bay of belfalas - sand, the sun and the sea [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Meneltarmacil 06-26-2003 02:56 PM

I would have to say Edoras and Rohan as a whole. Being in the bright sunshine, looking across the seemingly endless plains, plus there are also mountains nearby, and I've always liked mountains. The whole place seemed, i don't know, more "alive" than Minas Tirith or anywhere else built by Men.

Phoenix 06-26-2003 03:01 PM

I would have to say either the Shire or Lothlorien. I would have said Valinor, but it is technically not in Middle-Earth.

Arod 06-26-2003 03:14 PM

Rohan definately. Since I am an equine enthusiast it is the only place for me to be. Outside of that I really do have a strong connection to Rivendell with it's beauty and grandure.

Silmiel of Imladris 06-26-2003 04:26 PM

Imladris (Rivendel) is my favorite by far but I would also be happy in Eryn Lasgallen. (Greenwood the Great, Mirkwood, ect.)

Gorwingel 06-26-2003 09:14 PM

Probably Rohan, the planes, fields and horses, oh what a wonderful place to be.

Finwe 06-26-2003 09:26 PM

The place in Middle-earth that touches me the most is Rivendell. Its atmosphere of perpetual autumn always enchants me. Of course, the fact that it's also populated by tall, dark, handsome Noldor might also add to that love! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

arianrod 06-26-2003 11:06 PM

Rohan or the Shire deffinatly. Both are just such wonderful places: Rohan has the fields and the horses and the valient, brave people. The Shire, of course, has the hobbits and such a simple, carefree way of life.

Ophelia 06-27-2003 11:23 AM

My favorite place would be the Shire . Green grass , lots of flowers and other stuff I just can't live without . But still Rohan is a place I would like to live because of the horses . I need to ride to live normaly .
And hi Arod . finally I meet another horse lover . [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Snowdog 06-27-2003 11:33 AM

There is nothing like the sunset over the Twilight Hills as you sit by the shore of Lake Evendim on Midsummers Eve. I would live in the city of Annúminas, and when I was away, I would be found drinking at the Forsaken Inn.

Phantom der Oper 06-27-2003 01:15 PM

I'm the only one to live in Mordor. Darkness, no Elves around...a really sweet place.

Finwe 06-27-2003 01:24 PM

Do you really detest us Elves that much? Why would you want to live in Mordor? I'm just curious.

Wren 06-27-2003 05:55 PM

dancing spawn of ungoliant
Haunting Spirit

Member # 8143

posted June 26, 2003 03:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"i like mirkwood too, i didn't picture it to be so evil or horrible place, especially the northern part of it would be nice. but even better place could be the fangorn forest - so old and mysterious. or maybe just the bay of belfalas - sand, the sun and the sea"

Mirkwood didn't start out evil of course. When it was called Greenwood the great it must have been very beautiful and glorious. I'm sure that was the reason the elves settled there in the first place. But thing's changed, and Mirkwood became evil when Sauron took up residence.

Lyra Greenleaf 06-27-2003 05:55 PM

The Shire is very important to me, but I've always loved the descriptions of Ihilien and Dol Amroth sounds really lovely...

Daisy Brambleburr 06-29-2003 09:01 AM

The Shire is closest to my heart. It sounds like a perfect land, simple and green and quiet. Lots of emphasis on food and peaceful living, lovely. But I also feel connected to Minas Tirith to some extent. Odd, because they are two very different places. I feel that elvish lands are too good for me, to be honest!

Lyta_Underhill 06-29-2003 09:52 AM

I could live forever in Rivendell, but Fangorn Forest intrigues me, and I could use some Ent-draught about now! (I'm guilty of searching for Ents around my home already! )And I've got one area that is well hidden in trees and rocks I call Rivendell--it is much more like Fangorn or the Old Forest out there though! As long as I don't get swallowed up by Old Man Willow, I'm OK with that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Cheers,
Lyta

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]

Amanfalath 06-30-2003 08:11 AM

Lothlorien,Caras Galdhon on a hill clad with Mallorn trees is my home..though I have learned the skill to fight with sword and to shoot my arrow in Mirkwood.I'm a wanderer and have been traveling all over the Middleearth...I found my home on the top of high mountains and in the mine of Moria...
but not in Morgoth!
But Lothlorien will always stay deep in the abys of my heart... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Darby 06-30-2003 12:02 PM

Me? I was always drawn to Tom Bombadil's home. That's the sort of land I'd like to live in.
"They were in a long low room filled with the light of lamps swinging from the beams of the roof; and on the table of dark polished wood stood many candles, tall and yellow, burning brightly."
The house is (in my own opinion) the most comfortable sounding of all of them with the possible exception of Bag End, and the descriptions of the woods and downs somehow makes me think of my own Canadian Shield type environment (even though I know Tolkien was probably going more for Northern England). I would love to live in a place with such a sense of history.

*RohirrimGUY* 06-30-2003 05:02 PM

The place for me would be Edoras or Rivendell. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lathriel 07-07-2003 04:33 PM

I like fangorn forest and Rohan but The Shire is my favourite place and I fully realized that when I read The Scouring of the Shire because that chapter made me feel very sad.

Kates Frodo Temp 07-07-2003 09:12 PM

I'm so thrilled to find fellow Shire lovers! I believe the Shire was Tolkien's idea of a perfect world. All the other places seem somehow above me.

I know this isn't really the place, but I can't help mentioning how well the movies represented the Shire. It was all so wonderful. I haven't cried during the movies, but when I listened to what I affectionately call "the Shire music" on the soundtrack I started with the sniffles.

Well, that's my little speech in honor of the Shire! BTW, Sam rules!

Ascalótëion 07-08-2003 02:39 PM

Oh, the SHIRE!

Most definitely the Shire. It reminds me of an idyllic view of an England long gone, and of the perfect world to live in... *sniff* I want to live there. Wish it was real.

Alatariel Telemnar 07-08-2003 03:50 PM

Can't...decide... theres just too many wonderful places... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Golden Elf14 07-09-2003 10:34 AM

Rowan...

Aragost 07-11-2003 08:37 PM

Most Definetially the Tower of Guard, Minas Tirith, the white city.

[ July 11, 2003: Message edited by: Aragost ]

Eldawen of Lorien 07-15-2003 07:46 PM

I have to say Lothlorien with it's fading beauty. It has such a strong sense of emotion and magic, and it seems a lot like how Valinor might be. I also love Rohan with the glory of old still lingering.

Tinuviel of Denton 07-15-2003 09:54 PM

Ithilien. It is still beautiful, but with an air of being under siege. Or anywhere that Elves live. Eryn Lasgallen, Laurelindorinan, Imladris...

Tarien Ithil 07-17-2003 08:10 AM

I come from Rivendell, at evening time when the crescent moon comes out............

Nehani 07-17-2003 01:08 PM

Mirkwood holds my heart, for I have lived in a deep forest my whole life, and I wish not to leave. But Rivendell would do fine!

Lady Dwarf 07-19-2003 02:13 PM

My heart dwells in Khazâd-dùm, not as it was after Durin's Bane was awoken, but before. A wonderful place where gold and gems and iron became alive in the hands of skilled smiths. Where stone grew and flowered like young trees. Torchilght dancing on the intricate carvings of the kings of ages past. To look into the Kheled-zâram and see the crown of Durin, it would be indescribable.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Orothoniel 07-20-2003 01:58 PM

I prefer the Grey Havens or Alqualonde (do I write this correctly?) I want to live as close to the sea as possible. But I could also be happy in Imladris, Fangorn or Mirkwood.