The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ask Elrond... (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18899)

Mithalwen 06-09-2015 10:51 AM

Ask Elrond...

There was a thread just before the Downs Downtime on Bomabadil which included a debate about what Elrond knew about him. I am not sure I want to get back into that since it got rather bad tempered, however it did occur to me that Master Elrond, the great lore master knew a lot about Middle Earth that his creator Tolkien didn't. It is one of the great strengths of Middle Earth, and for me a great joy, that it has been possible to explore via the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and HoME the vistas glimpsed in the works published in the author's life span, Nevertheless apart from the notorious Bombadil and Balrog wings there are various things that Tolkien either didn't ever mention, left incomplete or unreconciled: some of these must have logically been known to Elrond.

For example, and this will come as no surprise to those who frequent the same quizroom threads as me, I would love to know Gil-galad's parentage and indeed correct names. Yes I know the versions, that CRT regrets his choice for the published Silmarillion; but last word doesn't necessarily mean definitively final word, we know JRRT was scribbling notes pretty much to the end.

There are other things of course but I will wait until I have seen what, if anything piques the curiousity of others. What would you ask Elrond if you had the chance?

Lalaith 06-09-2015 03:17 PM

Where are Alatar and Pallando? Are they happy?

Can you find me some proper Avari and no, Eol doesn't count....

Galadriel55 06-09-2015 03:45 PM

The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-Earth and Over-heave and of the Sundering Seas... :D

Seriously, though, I'd ask him to teach me a couple of these beautiful Elvish songs. :Merisu:

Inziladun 06-09-2015 03:46 PM

I'd ask why he chose to be counted among the Elves, and if he had any insight why his brother chose Men.

Mithadan 06-10-2015 08:26 AM

What's the deal with the Stone Giants that Bilbo was talking about?

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-10-2015 08:57 AM

What's the deal with the Were-worms Bilbo was talking about...

And where in the name of all was Gandalf called "Incánus"?

Mithalwen 06-10-2015 09:15 AM

I want to know when Gil-galad gave him Vilya - and when and how did Glorfindel get back.

I also want to know thwhy Eomer hadn't seen Arwen and Galadriel when they passed through Rohan en route to Minas Tirith, AND stayed in Edoras.

And Elladan and Elrohir... what did they decide. Maybe I don't want to know that since the answer might be too sad.

Zigûr 06-10-2015 09:40 AM

I wonder if for Elrond it was ever troubling to be counted among the Wise and yet to have never dwelt in the Blessed Realm or to have received direct communication from the Valar (as Círdan had).

Faramir Jones 06-11-2015 04:58 AM

What I would ask Elrond

1. In your long life, meeting so many people, who impressed you the most, and who impressed you the least, leaving aside Morgoth and Sauron?

2. Were you one of the singing and dancing Elves who greeted Bilbo and the dwarves in The Hobbit?;)

Pervinca Took 06-11-2015 11:31 AM

Why did you send Frodo to Mount Doom when it was already obvious that he wouldn't be able to destroy the Ring?

mormegil 06-11-2015 12:16 PM

I would want to know if I could take up residence once he left.

I would want to better understand how putting his power in a ring made Sauron more powerful.

I would also want to know what the fate of Túrin is after death.