The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Password (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10279)

Pervinca Took 07-01-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 711972)
East, Pervinca.:p

It's the heat ....

Huinesoron 07-03-2018 03:03 AM

Quote:

1. FREDA - Morwen's daughter, sent away - A hobbit disenvowelled by everything - First contact (for many) (LotR: TTT (Movie))
2. E - Lorien's unwitting betrayer - The classic dawn bird - The world turned upside-down
3. MIKA MILOVANA - Mrs. Bilbo - A shiny rock, or perhaps a bit more like me - The first of its kind (ever) (The 1966 Hobbit film)
4. ADUNAPHEL - The only female Nazgul - I'm out, I tripped (accented) - Under the iron crown (Iron Crown Enterprises' MERP)
5. LITHARIEL - The princess of the shore - A Latin rock, an Elvish maid - Darkness in the darkness (Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor)
6. EVANGELINE LILLY'S TAURIEL - Legolas' first best friend, but in real life... - Not a Maia, not a flower, and definitely not genderbent Orome - Just below Erebor (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)
Pulling it onto the page.

The final source is the only non-licensed source on the list; it made the news a few years back, when it appeared in English translation. The character is mentioned on its Wikipedia page, but her name can also be constructed if you imagine what a paleontologist would call a genus she wanted to name 'Dawn Bird'.

hS

Nerwen 07-03-2018 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 711979)
Pulling it onto the page.

The final source is the only non-licensed source on the list; it made the news a few years back, when it appeared in English translation. The character is mentioned on its Wikipedia page, but her name can also be constructed if you imagine what a paleontologist would call a genus she wanted to name 'Dawn Bird'.

hS

I believe you're referring to that Russian parody/fan-fic/whatever? Now what was it called...?

Edit: "The Last Ringbearer" and the character is EORNIS.

Huinesoron 07-03-2018 04:52 AM

Dingdingding!

1. FREDA - Morwen's daughter, sent away - A hobbit disenvowelled by everything - First contact (for many) (LotR: TTT (Movie))
2. EORNIS - Lorien's unwitting betrayer - The classic dawn bird - The world turned upside-down (The Last Ringbearer)
3. MIKA MILOVANA - Mrs. Bilbo - A shiny rock, or perhaps a bit more like me - The first of its kind (ever) (The 1966 Hobbit film)
4. ADUNAPHEL - The only female Nazgul - I'm out, I tripped (accented) - Under the iron crown (Iron Crown Enterprises' MERP)
5. LITHARIEL - The princess of the shore - A Latin rock, an Elvish maid - Darkness in the darkness (Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor)
6. EVANGELINE LILLY'S TAURIEL - Legolas' first best friend, but in real life... - Not a Maia, not a flower, and definitely not genderbent Orome - Just below Erebor (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)

[Theme: Female characters added in non-Tolkien works]

Hesperornis ('Western Bird') is a Cretaceous aquatic bird; Enantiornis and Ichthyornis date from around the same time.

And... Pervinca Took guessed the password, so you're up!

hS

(PS: It's not often you find a list where TTT-M is the entry most faithful to Tolkien's writings...)

Pervinca Took 07-03-2018 08:53 AM

Well done, Nerwen! And well done with another very tough set of clues, Hs. You are certainly teaching me new things!

I have a couple ready, but my laptop is at home, so I can't post one until tonight.

EDIT: PAGE 100! It says something about the scope and skill of Tolkien, that we are on page 100 of a thread devoted to creating and solving often cryptic clues about his works. I doubt if there are many other writers (if any) whose works one could do that with.

Galadriel55 07-03-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 711982)
EDIT: PAGE 100! It says something about the scope and skill of Tolkien, that we are on page 100 of a thread devoted to creating and solving often cryptic clues about his works. I doubt if there are many other writers (if any) whose works one could do that with.

Hear hear! Consider also that we don't even think of "anything Tolkien-related" as being enough of a theme anymore, since it's so broad.

Dare I request an anniversary password? ;)

Pervinca Took 07-03-2018 01:49 PM

What do you have in mind? I didn't write the two I have with the thought of an anniversary. I knew we were getting near to page 100, but hadn't realised quite how close we were. And I hadn't thought of marking the occasion with a 'special' password.

If I can't think of a special password straight away, maybe the next password setter can. Failing that, page eleventy-one isn't all that far off, either. ;)

The next password is special to *me*, though. :)

Pervinca Took 07-03-2018 05:19 PM

And here it is!

1. Tess’s kindest boss. Empty location?
2. He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
3. See the fairies’ midwife dance backwards – a measure of the place!
4. Tree meets flatbread of South Yorkshire village here.
5. Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.
6. A blow is dealt to the lazy morning in confusion here.
7. Scans scattered around amongst a shop in transit here.

Galadriel55 07-03-2018 07:45 PM

2. The wife who turns back - possibly the biblical wife of Lot, which would productively give us Tol S...? Tol Sirion? No "irion" that means ocean.

Galadriel55 07-03-2018 07:52 PM

1. Crickhollow. A little bit of recap reminded me that Tess of the d'Urberville's dairy farm employer was Crick.

Pervinca Took 07-04-2018 12:08 AM

CRICKHOLLOW: Tess’s kindest boss. Empty location?
2. He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
5. Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.

Indeed - Dairyman Crick/All the week/On Sundays Mister Richard Crick, plus 'hollow' for empty. (Although I believe her first boss - Alec D'Urberville's *mother*, was kind enough too).

LOT = TOL is correct as an element of 2, but it isn't Sirion to follow.

I guess you have (correctly) provided an S for 'Saruman initially,' but there's another bit before that.

Huinesoron 07-04-2018 02:33 AM

#2 could be TOL FALAS (or Tolfalas), with falas being Sindarin for 'shore' ('meets the ocean').

... no, hang on, it's TOL ERESSEA: Tol + ere S, sea.

hS

EDIT: #5 is striking me as a non-cryptic clue for the Prancing Pony, which definitely had a non-impenetrable stable.

Pervinca Took 07-04-2018 02:48 AM

Correct!

TOL ERESSEA: He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
THE PRANCING PONY: Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.

Galadriel55 07-04-2018 08:34 AM

3. Bamfurlong, again with the help of a google search.

Pervinca Took 07-04-2018 09:15 AM

TOL ERESSEA: He turns back (as did his wife, with dire consequences), before Saruman initially meets the ocean here.
BAMFURLONG: See the fairies’ midwife dance backwards – a measure of the place!
THE PRANCING PONY: Stable, but not impenetrable, one might say of a part of this establishment.

Yes. (Queen) Mab, backwards, plus 'furlong' (a measure of length/distance).

Huinesoron 07-06-2018 07:35 AM

Okay, I'm going to give a guess of REFUGES for the password, and a stab at HENNETH ANNUN for #4 based primarily on it fitting that description and containing the letter U. It also has the letters for 'nan' (bread), so I can at least see a possibility of it fitting the clue. :)

hS

Pervinca Took 07-06-2018 08:12 AM

Password: REFUGES

Correct password!

You are also correct with NAN for the flatbread element, but Henneth Annun is the wrong refuge.

Huinesoron 07-06-2018 08:35 AM

NAN ELMOTH? It's got the tree, but is there a village called Oth? Google doesn't think so.

... oh, wait, no U. Which means it can't be Nan-tasarion, either.

Hmm.

hS

Pervinca Took 07-06-2018 10:16 AM

Both wrong, I'm afraid.

If it makes it easier, the theme is less broad than the password and is only *particular* refuges.

There is also an 'odd one out' amongst them.

Galadriel55 07-06-2018 06:00 PM

Well they're all so far hobbit refuges, including Tol Eressea as Frodo and Bilbo's final refuge from the world and its burdens. I don't know if Nan Curunir counts as a refuge.

Pervinca Took 07-06-2018 10:30 PM

Nan Curunir is not one of the answers.

Nan doesn't have to *start* the answer!

They are all places where the Ringbearer found refuge. Tol Eressea is the odd one out because it's the only exclusively post-quest refuge.

Nerwen 07-07-2018 03:07 AM

LAURELINDÓRENAN for #4? "Laurel" is self-explanatory, but I don't know about the rest. "Indore" is a city in India, but is there a Yorkshire village with such a name? Google is no help.

Pervinca Took 07-07-2018 03:44 AM

LAURELINDORENAN: Tree meets flatbread of South Yorkshire village here.

Specific theme: places where the Ringbearer took/was offered refuge.

For shame, Nerwen! I know you wanted to see Middle-earth and rule your own realm, but surely you haven't forgotten LAURELIN?

There is a large village called DORE, which used to be in Derbyshire but is now in South Yorkshire. If there is an Indian takeaway or restaurant there, and you ordered NAN there with your meal, or you lived there and made one yourself, you could call it a DORE NAN!

:D

Pervinca Took 07-13-2018 03:20 AM

There aren't that many options left, surely? ;)

Galadriel55 07-15-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 712040)
There aren't that many options left, surely? ;)

Rivendell? Weathertop? Henneth Anun? Bombadil's house?

Pervinca Took 07-15-2018 03:56 PM

None of the above names. One of the above places.

Pervinca Took 07-16-2018 04:55 AM

Plus another is close, but I would not call that specific place a refuge.

6 is composed from two fairly easy synonyms.

7 is composed from two perhaps somewhat harder synonyms.

Pervinca Took 07-17-2018 05:07 AM

Another hint (or more a point to make it fairer for all) - the shop you need for number 7 appears a lot in Europe, and I checked online and I believe it is in Australia and the USA too. But I don't think there are any in Canada.

Huinesoron 07-17-2018 08:00 AM

#6: ITHILIEN is an anagram of HIT + LIE IN.

#7: IMLADRIS is an anagram of MRIs + ALDI... but I have no idea where 'in transit' comes from.

Only got these because you'd narrowed the field down to four locations. ^_^

hS

Pervinca Took 07-17-2018 10:39 AM

Correct! Well done, Huinesoron.

'In transit' was because the letters of ALDI had to go into transit, as well as the letters of MRIS needing to be scattered.

LAURELINDORENAN: Tree meets flatbread of South Yorkshire village here.
ITHILIEN: A blow is dealt to the lazy morning in confusion here.
IMLADRIS: Scans scattered around amongst a shop in transit here.

Specific theme: places where the Ringbearer took/was offered refuge.

Crickhollow was the one I wasn't quite sure qualified as a refuge, as Frodo had bought it rather than been offered sanctuary there. (He did take refuge there, though - from the road. His quest had begun and he had already (unknowingly) seen or sensed a Nazgul or two).

I think the idea of making it just the Ringbearer's places of refuge might have come from that piece of literary criticism that said that Frodo needed digging out of about 6 Homely Houses before he even got to Elrond's. ;)

Well done everyone, and over to Huinesoron.

Huinesoron 07-18-2018 03:28 AM

Nice! Tricky, but that's what we come here for. :)

This one took me quite a while to make work; I suspect it's been done before in some form, but I'm still pleased I found some version that hung together.

1. A Time Lord, a fool? He chooses.
2. Earn ill an elvish title, but outside the youngest asks: he fairy enough?
3. Engulf a dubious panda for one who's missing one.
4. In the south, the pages could say what Tolkien got.
5. Haughty? Not entirely: say rather he knows where he's going.
6. Not one of the six (or seven?), but of their kind: forget his name and say what he is.
7. Born green and grey: one to his name, but whence the other? Not just his father's son.
8. Son of the last to rule; by title he could sail inland from the Havens, but find only one.

hS

Pervinca Took 07-18-2018 04:07 AM

5. Aragorn ... most of 'arrogant' for 'haughty' ... 'gorn' for where he was going? :D

Huinesoron 07-18-2018 04:34 AM

1. A Time Lord, a fool? He chooses.
2. Earn ill an elvish title, but outside the youngest asks: he fairy enough?
3. Engulf a dubious panda for one who's missing one.
4. In the south, the pages could say what Tolkien got.
5. A RAGORN - Haughty? Not entirely: say rather he knows where he's going.
6. Not one of the six (or seven?), but of their kind: forget his name and say what he is.
7. Born green and grey: one to his name, but whence the other? Not just his father's son.
8. Son of the last to rule; by title he could sail inland from the Havens, but find only one.

Indeed! Off to a good start.

(All right, I was actually just slurring 'Arrogan' to get his name, with 'knows where he's going' as a straight clue. But your version was so good I decided to claim it was my idea all along. ^_~)

hS

Pervinca Took 07-19-2018 01:31 AM

Hmmm ... that was the only easy one, though!

As for number 1, 'Who' might give us 'Hu-' - but fool?

Unless the 'Time' part could be AM.

SAMWISE chooses in the Haunted Pass. His name has AM and means half-wise.

I think you can guess that I'm not very confident with this one. ;)

Huinesoron 07-19-2018 02:58 AM

The answer is not SAMWISE, but Samwise is the second half of the answer. You've got the fool (I feel a bit mean saying that), but where's the Time Lord?

hS

Pervinca Took 07-19-2018 06:12 AM

I guess it would have to be in the form Ban or Sam, then. Or Berhael, IIRC from when he and his master were being praised with great praise.

I wonder if the Time Lord is one of the Valar - but none of them are really in charge of time. Not even Mandos.

I found a list of Time Lords, and Andred and Androgar are the most Tolkienian-sounding ones. I can't really stick Sam or Ban on the end of either, though.

Huinesoron 07-19-2018 07:04 AM

No, you're overthinking it (like I can talk!). The second half of the answer is 'SAMWISE', and the Time Lord is a Time Lord.

hS

Pervinca Took 07-19-2018 11:52 AM

Oh! MASTER SAMWISE.

The Master is a Time Lord.

Pervinca Took 07-19-2018 12:06 PM

I'm going to have a guess at MERIADOC for the password, because I think the theme might be members of the Fellowship.

Not that any of the other Fellowship members fit, initial-wise. :D

Errrrr ...

Maybe the theme is leaders. If Meriadoc is right, that gives us a king, a mayor and a Master of Buckland.

EDIT:

6. Dwarf-Lord?
7. Oropher?

Huinesoron 07-20-2018 03:59 AM

1. M ASTER SAMWISE - A Time Lord, a fool? He chooses.
2. E - Earn ill an elvish title, but outside the youngest asks: he fairy enough?
3. R - Engulf a dubious panda for one who's missing one.
4. I - In the south, the pages could say what Tolkien got.
5. A RAGORN - Haughty? Not entirely: say rather he knows where he's going.
6. D WARF - Not one of the six (or seven?), but of their kind: forget his name and say what he is.
7. O - Born green and grey: one to his name, but whence the other? Not just his father's son.
8. C - Son of the last to rule; by title he could sail inland from the Havens, but find only one.

[Theme: Members of the Fellowship]

You're on fire! I'll happily give you 'Dwarf' for #6 (the actual phrase in my notes is 'Dwarf of Durin's line', because I really wanted the D to be Durin... but it wasn't, so 'Dwarf' it is), but I can't put Oropher in for #7 - he definitely wasn't in the Fellowship.

hS