The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

Lhunardawen 03-15-2006 01:09 AM

We'll just have to catch him off guard.

You know you're terribly addicted if you toy with the idea of forming an elaborate plan to get Anguirel to put a smilie on a post of his. *evil smilie*

Thinlómien 03-15-2006 05:54 AM

Lhuna, if you need help with your plan, you have my sword.

Lhunardawen 03-15-2006 06:34 AM

We'll see how it fits. ;)

Hookbill the Goomba 03-15-2006 06:43 AM

You know you're addicted to the Barrow Downs when you find yourself attaching THIS to your collage / school / work place notice board. Or something like that.

OR

You nearly fall off your chair when you see that The Saucepan Man has overtaken Lalwendë as the top reputation person! :eek:

Cailín 03-15-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
You nearly fall off your chair when you see that The Saucepan Man has overtaken Lalwendë as the top reputation person! :eek:

No! It cannot be! Nothing makes sense anymore in this world. :eek:

Thinlómien 03-15-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba

So that's why she's posting in the books right at the moment trying to be intelligent! :eek: ;)

Lhunardawen 03-15-2006 06:59 AM

Oh sorrow for the once invincible Lalwendavem...

Look what you and your lycanthropy have done, Wolfman Sauce. For shame! :p

Thinlómien 03-15-2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Oh sorrow for the once invincible Lalwendavem...

But if you add Lal's and davem's reputations, they surely ARE invincible...

The Saucepan Man 03-15-2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cailín
No! It cannot be! Nothing makes sense anymore in this world.

Not quite sure how to take that ... ;)

Actually, I feel rather a fraud as my reputation has been fattened on naught but a diet of Werewolf, Crazy Captions, Survivor and a certain parody RPG. Not one Tolkien-based discussion related rep in sight (probably because I have not engaged seriously in any Tolkien-based discussion for a while). :rolleyes:

But just imagine how invincible Lalwendë would be if she also played Werewolf ... :eek:

And, to bring this back on topic, you know you're addicted to the Downs when you spend precious hours not just strategising about and playing Werewolf, but also posting a thread with a lengthy analysis of each game.

As Mith said, borderline Aspergis ...

Lhunardawen 03-15-2006 08:21 AM

Quote:

Actually, I feel rather a fraud as my reputation has been fattened on naught but a diet of Werewolf, Crazy Captions, Survivor and a certain parody RPG. Not one Tolkien-based discussion related rep in sight (probably because I have not engaged seriously in any Tolkien-based discussion for a while). :rolleyes:
Don't say that, SpW...you'll be dragging in a lot of us as well! :o

Hookbill the Goomba 03-16-2006 08:15 AM

I think THIS is a sign that I'm obsessed! :D

Kath 03-18-2006 11:30 AM

Spending half an hour trawling through the member's list in order to find an answer, and making a list of those PT's that caught your eye as you went so you could use them as MSN names later.

the guy who be short 03-18-2006 02:58 PM

One of your motives for learning Latin is that everybody on the Downs does, and you want to fit in and understand them.

Anguirel 03-18-2006 03:01 PM

Every self-respecting Tolkien fan should be able to say odi et arceo profanum vulgum...

Thinlómien 03-19-2006 01:24 PM

When you think peace has been restored, when Lalwende has reclaimed her place at the top of the reputation list.

Diamond18 03-19-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Actually, I feel rather a fraud as my reputation has been fattened on naught but a diet of Werewolf, Crazy Captions, Survivor and a certain parody RPG. Not one Tolkien-based discussion related rep in sight (probably because I have not engaged seriously in any Tolkien-based discussion for a while).

Eh, they're overrated. From one Mirth/Roleplaying addict to another, never be ashamed of rep points gained from being creative rather than canonical. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbil
I think THIS is a sign that I'm obsessed!

Yes... yes it is. It's quite lovely, though. I had just noticed today how gigantic the Crazy Captions thread is, and my eyes popped out. Like this: :eek:

As for my own contribution... I know I'm obsessed when I leave for months only to be drawn back in by the insidious charms of the black and green... even though green text on black background gives me headaches. :rolleyes:

Thinlómien 03-20-2006 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamond18
As for my own contribution... I know I'm obsessed when I leave for months only to be drawn back in by the insidious charms of the black and green... even though green text on black background gives me headaches. :rolleyes:

GREEN? It's light blue, or turqoise, but not GREEN! :eek:

JennyHallu 03-20-2006 08:14 AM

Green like grass, Lommy...sorry.

You know you're addicted to the barrowdowns when you find yourself referring to RL things that happened toNight and realize no one else understands the concept of 24 hour days, rather than 12.

Thinlómien 03-20-2006 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Green like grass, Lommy...sorry.

No! You're colorblind! Look at your reputation boxes. They are green. The text is light blueish(?) turqoise.

JennyHallu 03-20-2006 08:24 AM

I forget you're European...

Find a picture of Kentucky bluegrass...

The text has more blue in it than the lime green boxes, I would never call it a jewel tone, but I think it's green. Maybe I'm crazy...

I'm probably crazy but I live in a democracy...majority rules, and it's green. ;)

Thinlómien 03-20-2006 08:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The text has more blue in it than the lime green boxes, I would never call it a jewel tone, but I think it's green. Maybe I'm crazy...

I'm probably crazy but I live in a democracy...majority rules, and it's green. ;)

Lime green! No way!

The first picture is lime green. The secong picture is green. The ball at the beginning of this post is green.

JennyHallu 03-20-2006 08:46 AM

This is the exact color of the text on the forum. It looks greener when it isn't surrounded by all the black, gold, and grass-green of everything else.

Diamond18 03-20-2006 10:21 AM

You know you're obsessed when you argue about the exact shade of the text, and provide samples.....

:D

Jenny's right though (like me :p), it's green, though kind of a turqoise green rather than a straight green. The rep boxes and the ball icon are different shades of green. But still, if you ask the Barrow-Wight, the color scheem is green/gold/black. G'ahead, PM him. :p

AbercrombieOfRohan 03-20-2006 10:30 AM

I was listening to a song called Core N'Gato (Cor-ay nin gato) and every time they sang the chorus I thought they were saying Tol-in, Tol-in Gaurhoth. :rolleyes:

Hookbill the Goomba 03-20-2006 10:46 AM

You know you're obsessed when:

- The Barrow Downs is your home page.

- When you tell your teacher at school / college (Or boss at work) that you think s/he should be lynched.

- You spend a long time making a collage of as many crazy captions pictures as you can be bothered getting hold of.

Thinlómien 03-21-2006 05:53 AM

Okay, I agree it's not light blue, but it's clearly turqoise, not green. Whatever even the BW says. Unluckily, all sensible persons who can tell turqoise from green happen to be somewhere else so your democracy, Jenny, really isn't democracy.

Hey, Hookbill, you visit this thread quite often! What do you (or anyone else) think about the colour?

JennyHallu 03-21-2006 07:41 AM

Actually, this is the color of turquoise...

See how blue? The site is definitely green.

EDIT: And that's the definition of democracy. Majority among whoever votes rules, regardless of how many people don't vote. An abstention (not voting) is counted as a vote for the majority side. Robert's Rules.

Hookbill the Goomba 03-21-2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien
Hey, Hookbill, you visit this thread quite often! What do you (or anyone else) think about the colour?

I think its irrelevant. :p

A sign that you’re addicted to the Downs...

You are happy when you’re sick because you go green and look Wightish! :D

Thinlómien 03-21-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Actually, this is the color of turquoise...

See how blue? The site is definitely green.

They're nearly the same color! (The text and the gemstone.)

I think this is a sign of being badly addicted: you debate with a person you don't really actually even know about the text color of the forum.

And Hookbill, I hope you get better, though you will lose your wightish color... :)

JennyHallu 03-21-2006 12:30 PM

Thin: No it isn't...

;) :rolleyes:

Try thinning food dye with water, Hookbill. With a large paint brush you could easily maintain your Wightish shade.

Thinlómien 03-21-2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Thin: no it isn't.

I've started to see the text as greenish turqoise, and that's entirely your fault! :eek:

Quote:

And that's the definition of democracy. Majority among whoever votes rules, regardless of how many people don't vote. An abstention (not voting) is counted as a vote for the majority side. Robert's Rules.
What if most of probable voters don't even know about the "election"?

Hookbill the Goomba 03-21-2006 12:34 PM

I've had a cold all week and it got a bit worse today so I came home from College. :(
I used to be all pale, (more than usual) but the green Wight colour is cool! :D

Lets crawl back on topic, shall we?

Thinlómien 03-21-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I think this is a sign of being badly addicted: you debate with a person you don't really actually even know about the text color of the forum.

That's not surely off-topic, is it?

JennyHallu 03-21-2006 12:39 PM

Crawls painfully from happy place...

Oh fine. (But it's still green. :P)

You know you're addicted to the barrow downs when you compulsively hit refresh and you're not even playing werewolf...

Diamond18 03-21-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

You know you're addicted to the barrow downs when you compulsively hit refresh and you're not even playing werewolf...

Hahahahahaha! *oh dear* I've been doing that, too.

Kath 03-21-2006 04:29 PM

You know you're addicted when you come home from a long day at school and rather than doing the coursework you swore you'd do in return for a lesson off, you come on here and spend the next hour refreshing the page to keep up with a werewolf game you're not even in anymore!

And to drag this ever so slightly back off topic, I always thought the text was green, but that may have been due to popular opinion!

Nilpaurion Felagund 03-22-2006 03:40 AM

Ummm . . .

How about 'Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to a Barrowdowner'? ;)

Oh, brother . . .

the guy who be short 03-24-2006 11:58 AM

You spot Downer lookalikes on your way to school. I regularly see my Eomer and Orominuialwen lookalikes.

Mithalwen 03-24-2006 12:05 PM

You have a panic attack when some technical glitch means you can see the Downs but not post or read PMs. It happened this lunchtime but I don't know if the problem was with the computer I was using or the site. My hotmail inbox disappeared too..

Hookbill the Goomba 03-24-2006 12:49 PM

This actualy happened!!!

When you are walking around town and see someone in a large Snoopy costume and cry out (a little too loudly) "Its Eomer of the Rohirrim!"
I then had to explain to a friend of mine what I meant. :o