The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Quotes in other languages (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10571)

HerenIstarion 01-08-2003 12:49 AM

Aragorn to Pippin about Merry:

Quote:

His grief he will not forget; but it will not darken his heart, it will teach him wisdom

Estelyn Telcontar 01-08-2003 01:49 AM

That's right, HI - please continue!

HerenIstarion 01-08-2003 03:57 AM

I think it's time again to add some eastern flavour to this game. Georgian:

Quote:

<font face="AcadNusx">coli gamixda avad, kai xani ukve loginadaa Cavardnili, da vRelav. Tanac saxuravidan kramiti waiRo qarma, da saZinebelSi wyali Camogvdis. eqims unda gamovuZaxoT, da mSeneblebs kide, oRond egeni sul agvianeben xolme. xoda vifiqre, rame ficari, an tilo mainc xom ar geqnebaT, erTi-ori dRe rom gadavagoro
as a clue: "kramiti" is tile (or tiles) and "eqims" the doctor (in a grammatical sense (alas, I do not know the terms) that he's object of action, not subject of it). In case doctor himself were to act, in Georgian it would have been "eqimi" than. "mSeneblebi" are the builders.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Elven-Maiden 01-12-2003 04:59 PM

Your clues confused me more than your quote did. It's been 4 days since you posted that, could you please give us a slighter more illuminating hint?

HerenIstarion 01-14-2003 01:29 AM

no hobbits act in the book where quote is derived from

Eruhen 01-14-2003 10:11 AM

Does that mean that it's from the Silm?

LePetitChoux 01-15-2003 01:55 PM

The chances of a doctor being in Silm are Slim! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Riiight...anyway, I'd guess it was from one of the Adventures of TB or one of the other Tales from a Perilous Realm, or Roverandron.
Am I right? Am I? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Elven-Maiden 01-15-2003 05:43 PM

Hmm, I don't think it's in Roverandom. But I could be wrong.... What about the book whose name I forget that deals with a man and a faery star that was baked into a cake?

HerenIstarion 01-17-2003 01:07 AM

the story is about a painter

Guinevere 01-17-2003 04:53 AM

Oh, now it makes sense at last! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
It's from "Leaf by Niggle" !! (Somehow I had never been considering anything else than LotR...)

"My wife has been ill for some days, and I am getting worried," said Parish. "And the wind has blown half the tiles off my room, and water is pouring into the bedroom. I think I ought to get the doctor. And the builders, too, only they take so long to come. I was wondering if you had any wood and canvas you could spare, just to patch mw up and see me through for a day or two."

I don't understand anything except the clues you gave, but it must be that, I guess. Am I right? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

HerenIstarion 01-17-2003 07:42 AM

Exactly, i've just gave myself freedom to omitt "said Parish" part. Pray proceed

Eruhen 01-17-2003 10:48 AM

Agh! *slaps himself in the head* I even have that book and have read it several times! Gahhh! Better luck next time, Eruhen.

Guinevere 01-17-2003 02:11 PM

I hope you don't consider this quote as too short, but it's such a lot of work translating ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"Ho qualcosa a fare davanti alla fine. Devo eseguirlo signore, se mi capisci."

busybee 01-20-2003 09:50 AM

Is it Italian? Becasue some of the words were on this Italian dict. I saw but some weren't.

Guinevere 01-21-2003 03:03 AM

Yes,Busybee, it is Italian indeed .

Eärendil 01-28-2003 11:24 AM

Um, I think we need a clue here..... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Guinevere 01-28-2003 02:12 PM

I'm sorry, I thought it would be almost too easy, because my last Italian quote was solved immediately, and because Heren Istarion seems to know all European languages anyway... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"ho" is the 1st pers. singular of "avere". It means : I have
"devo" is the 1st pers.sing. of "dovere", it means: I must
"capisci" is the 2nd pers.sing. of "capire", it means: you understand.

[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

LePetitChoux 01-28-2003 02:50 PM

Quote:

I must do something before the end. I must do it sir, if you understand me.
Sam.

Guinevere 01-29-2003 08:33 AM

That's right, PetitChoux . (Well, almost. "I must see it through, sir, if you understand") Since you know latin you probably would have managed without my hints ! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your turn!

LePetitChoux 01-31-2003 11:40 AM

Quote:

"On idet podalshe ot vreda, Ya tebe govoriu," otvetil _______. "Vidish li, On dragotsenniy. Ya ne doveriayu svoim parnishkam, i tvoim tozhe, da i tebe samomu, kogda s uma shodish ot nedostatka veselia. On napravlen tuda, kuda menys ustraivayet, i kuda ty ne popadesh, esli ne budesh normalno sebya vesti. Naverh, govoriu zhe. On tam v bezopasnosti.
Good Luck! You're gonna need it, unless you're HerenIstarion, and understand it anyway... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Elanor 01-31-2003 12:36 PM

Wow, I have just discovered this thread! It's brilliant [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . What a great multi-lingual place the Downs is. I have no idea about that last one though. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: Elanor ]

LePetitChoux 01-31-2003 04:19 PM

Clues:
PODALSHE OT VREDA=further away from harm
DRAGOTSENNIY=precious (masc.)
GOVORIU= I say/am saying

I didn't translate it literally, to keep the Russian properly grammatical (If someone will point out a big error now, I will be VERY embarrassed.) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Elanor 02-03-2003 02:24 PM

I still have no idea [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Where are all the Russian speakers when you need them? This has been bothering me all weekend (I know, I know [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and nobody I know speaks any Russian - believe me, I've asked everyone.

LePetitChoux 02-04-2003 01:00 PM

This one really gives it away (I think):
bezopasnosti=safety

akhtene 02-05-2003 05:48 PM

Uph, it took some brain-work, I mean finding out who was talking (not actual translation, hehe [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )
Quote:

"He's going out of harm's way, I tell you," answered SHAGRAT, "See? He's precious. I don't trust all my lads, and none of yours; nor you neither, when you're mad for fun. He's going where I want him, and where you won't come, if you don't keep civic. Up to the top, I say. He'll be safe there."

Elanor 02-06-2003 02:21 PM

Yay! I had no chance, even with the giveaway clues, I couldn't find the right quote. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

LePetitChoux 02-06-2003 03:04 PM

Yes, yes. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Elanor 02-15-2003 02:39 AM

Akhtene?

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Elanor ]

LePetitChoux 02-22-2003 10:53 AM

This thread seems to be dying out, so I'll do another quote to pass the time. It is in Russian (again! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and from the top of the screen...
Quote:

Tebe nado bilo bit' korolevskim shutom, i zarabativat' na hleb i poloski, kopiruya ego sovetnikov
[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: LePetitChoux ]

LePetitChoux 02-23-2003 02:24 PM

No-one? It is quite simple, really.

zarabativat'=to earn
sovetnikov=advisors/cousellors

HerenIstarion 02-24-2003 01:15 AM

Gandalf to Saruman:

Quote:

You should have been the king's jester and earned your bread, and stripes too, by mimicking his counsellors

LePetitChoux 02-24-2003 04:08 PM

Of course you're right, HerenIstarion!
Please do continue. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

HerenIstarion 02-25-2003 02:04 AM

ola, ola. Thanks.

next one (Georgian):

miTumetes wagviyvaneT! – ver gauZlo _____ mTels am maRalfardovanebas. – daRlilebi da mSivrebi varT, grZeli gza gvaqvs daleuli da napirze avadmyofi megobrebi gvelian! iCqareT da nu gvalaparakebT mets, Torem, ise ar moxdes, qalaqis Tavi ufro didxans gesaubroT SemdgomSi

clues - maRalfardovaneba - solemnities
- avadmyofi - sick, ill
- Tavi - head, governor, chief
- iCqareT - make haste

Elanor 03-05-2003 01:00 AM

Nobody? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Is that Georgian? What an interesting looking language, with all those capital letters. Anyway, I have no chance at all, I can't make head nor tail of it. There must be somebody here who can solve it... (please!)

Guinevere 03-06-2003 03:53 AM

Well, I'm not the one who can solve it, either, though I've been pondering over it for some time!
Perhaps we need more clues, Heren-Istarion, since nobody else understands Georgian . [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] (I sure wonder how that language sounds!!)

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

HerenIstarion 03-10-2003 05:15 AM

daRlilebi da mSivrebi varT - we are tired and hungry

capital letters re:

Elanor, it's different character set, it just looks English so you'll be able to read it. To see it as it is intended to be seen, one may download and install AcadNusx.ttf

Copy and paste it into Word application and select AcadNusx font and see how it is supposed to look like

if the link above is not working, try the following: AcadNusx.ttf

Guinevere 03-13-2003 03:58 AM

Well, at least I'll try. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I have found a passage which contains these words which you gave as clues, but the number of the other words doesn't correspond with it.
It's in "The Hobbit", when Bilbo and the dwarves arrive in Lake Town.

Quote:

"Then all the more reason for taking us to him," burst in Fili, who was getting impatient at these solemnities. "We are worn and famished after our long road and we have sick comrades. Now make haste and let us have no more words, or your master may have something to say to you."
Could that be correct? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
(Quotations in a totally unknown language are more difficult than "fill in the blank"!)

HerenIstarion 03-13-2003 04:07 AM

You've nailed it! :)

Have a go

BTW, number of words can not be equal since Georgian uses verbal suffixes and prefixess in most cases where Indo-European family uses pronouns

yours truly

Guinevere 03-13-2003 03:08 PM

yippie!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hm, in what language shall I post now ? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'll use Swissgerman dialect again [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] because I'm too lazy to translate into French or Italian...

Quote:

Es tuet mer schüli leid." hät er gseit "Gang sofort! Scho immer sit dere Nacht i Bree simmer ä Plag gsi für dich. Aber es isch d'Art vo mim Volch, liechti Wort z'bruche i söttige Ziite, und weniger z'säge als mer meined. Mer händ Angscht, z'vil z'säge. Es raubt öis di richtige Wort wänn en Gschpass nüd aapracht isch."
Good luck!

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Guinevere ]

Elanor 03-13-2003 03:16 PM

Ooh, that's tricksy! I can speak German, so some of that makes sense. I just have to think....

Aagh, I know it, I just can't find it! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Elanor ]