The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Books (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What do Elves eat? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=1095)

dragongirlG 05-29-2002 09:27 AM

What do Elves eat?

No, seriously. I mean, what do they eat? They make lembas, and probably eat it, but what else? Meats, venison...I found some stuff in The Hobbit, but I'm wondering what else.

orlandoandsaran 05-29-2002 09:34 AM

I wonder....do elves eat meat??

Raefindel 05-29-2002 10:58 AM

Yes Elves eat meat. Many Elves were hunters.Food of the Elves here's a link to another thread on this topic.

Luineglin 05-29-2002 11:10 AM

... (whispers) what if they eat man and each other...

Eärendil 05-29-2002 11:25 AM

Lol! That makes some nasty pictures in my head... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Luineglin 05-29-2002 12:00 PM

yeah that would be nasty ...shudders... anyways im sure they food what else? hmm maybe i souldnt say that out loud

Naurlothwen 05-29-2002 02:02 PM

Excuse me elves do not eat man!
*shudder* *shudder* thats revolting!

Naurlothwen 05-29-2002 02:03 PM

haha I have the same poem as you [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

greyhavener 05-30-2002 10:57 PM

But perhaps the do enjoy a nice roasted dwarf now and then...Seriously the fruits of the forest would make sense, nuts, berries, game, some leaves and flowers. I guess the ones by the sea would have fish.

orlandoandsaran 05-30-2002 11:05 PM

Eww greyhavener....
Roasted Dwarves??
Ew.....*pukes*
Hmm...but maybe when elves are really desperate....they kill their own mates and eat them to stay alive.
ahaha
I also want to know whether can elves die from starvation?
i think they can....

dragongirlG 05-31-2002 08:45 AM

Thanks Rae.

Tarthang 05-31-2002 09:47 AM

Roasted Dwarves!? C'mon, the meat would be too tough. A nice tender Hobbit would be more like it. Why do you think only te adventuresome Hobbit's earned the title Elf Friend--all that adventuring made their meat too tough for eating.

Rosseiliantiel 06-03-2002 07:23 PM

Normal food, plus miruvar (well, they drink that) and lembas. no man, dwarf, orc, or anything....
i hope...
urgh, i may be sick
Do elves eat choclate? popcorn? PIZZA? NO??!!!o dear [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

The Silver-shod Muse 06-04-2002 09:44 AM

Do you think there are any Elven groups that practice agriculture? After all, the Elven civilizations of old could hardly have survived on nuts and berries. Think of Nargothrond. Advanced civilizations begin with efficient agriculture, and ME's societies could hardly have been an exception.

Starbreeze 06-04-2002 12:45 PM

This reminds me of the Concerning Hobbits thread from ages ago.
I agree, nuts and berries would have featured in their diet, but I also agree that some agrigcultural basis must have been established, and I would imagine would continue still.

Raefindel 06-04-2002 01:52 PM

Yes, it IS starting to sound like "concerning Hobbits", and, Yes, Elves had agriculture. Remember when Galadriel gave Sam a box of soil from her ORCHARD?

Nufaciel 06-04-2002 02:37 PM

We did a thread about this not too long ago, though I can't remember which forum it's in....

Gimli Son Of Gloin 06-04-2002 04:03 PM

Quote:

But perhaps the do enjoy a nice roasted dwarf now and then...
Quote:

Roasted Dwarves!? C'mon, the meat would be too tough.
Is this Insult Your Dwarf week?

Naurlothwen 06-06-2002 04:16 PM

Yes I agree elves do have agrilculture. Maybe NOt large aounts of it but still...

Roasted dwarf? phuffl. *gag* *gag* I personally could not think of such a thing.

If Galadriel has an orchard then isnt there reason to believe that elves eat APPLES? They probably eat all the fruit (or close to all) that we eat.

Naurlothwen 06-08-2002 07:22 AM

Elves will not when desperate kill there mates to keep them alive by the way, it just isnt done.
You see starving families on the streets with hmans. Yet these people never eat each other even when they are really really hungry.

Besides Legolas, in the lord of the ring hardly ever seemed to eat. Its poddible that elves just dont need to eat as much so Im sure they could survive through hard times for a little while.