The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who's got the best signature? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4548)

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-19-2003 03:51 AM

Who's got the best signature?

One of the things I really like about this forum is the wonderful variety of signature quotations, links and comments. These can tell us a great deal about the person who chose them, and give us an opportunity to learn about the other reading everyone else does when they're not off wool-gathering in Middle-earth. Which signatures do you particularly like and why?

I'll start us off by naming some of my favourites:

Legolas (née Legalos) with
Quote:

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.
This is something that we should all bear constantly in mind. It's nothing more or less than wisdom.

Burrahobbit with
Quote:

Balin999 is better than you
I like the silliness, not to mention the regular accuracy, of this statement.

Burrahobbit cheekily sneaks in again with his current choice. This, I think, is all the explanation you need for the terseness of some of his posts:
Quote:

"Well, Baruch, many times I say only 'yes' or 'no' to people. Even that is too much." --Calvin Coolidge
Also I think that Sharkû deserves a mention for quoting Tacitus on the Germans in one of his.
Quote:

Celebrant carminibus antiquis, quod unum apud illos memoriae et annalium genus est, Tuistonem deum terra editum. Ei filium Mannum, originem gentis conditoremque, Manno tris filios adsignant, e quorum nominibus proximi Oceano Ingaevones, medii Herminones, ceteri Istaevones vocentur.
Which, for those without the benefit of a Classical education, means:
Quote:

In their ancient songs, their only way of remembering or recording the past they celebrate an earth-born god Tuisco, and his son Mannus, as the origin of their race, as their founders. To Mannus they assign three sons, from whose names, they say, the coast tribes are called Ingaevones; those of the interior, Herminones; all the rest, Istaevones.

the phantom 02-19-2003 09:43 AM

Besides the ones already listed here's some others that caught my eye...

eleanor_niphredil:
Quote:

Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to spend my time on this forum. And by the way, for any of you turning into a penguin, stop it.
Melkor the Morgoth:
Quote:

*insert funny frase here*
I also loved that one from Lush about the Russian imports. (there's a few of them to sample at my university)

Rimbaud 02-19-2003 10:13 AM

My current signature transcribes possibly my namesake's most illuminating addition to the exploration of Poesy. The line I leave in French is arguably the E=MC2 of all poetry.

Vision through exposition? Vice versa?

For favourites, (I fain comment on Bethberry's) I must point to the progenitor of this discussion. His quotes all comprise a haunting melancholia, a pretty play to the amused tone of many of his posts. There are more that have caught my eye - perhaps I will return and mention them another time.

InklingElf 02-19-2003 10:28 AM

One really caught my eye, it was Glorwingel's:
Quote:

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think
And thelastbattle's:
Quote:

"The greater part of valor is discretion."

Estelyn Telcontar 02-19-2003 12:12 PM

I've always enjoyed the signatures that have to do with the person's chosen identity, the nick. One of the first that I noticed on the site was burrahobbit's:
Quote:

What's a burrahobbit got to do with my pocket, anyways?
I must admit though, his present signature matches the personal style of his posts perfectly, so I second that nomination of yours, Squatter!

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]

eleanor_niphredil 02-19-2003 12:31 PM

Hey! thanks Phantom! Little me with a good signiture! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I like Airehiriel's. The scary barney is soooooo cool!

"I love you, you love me!"

Bêthberry 02-19-2003 12:58 PM

I fear I must begin this post with an apology, for I had inadvertently deleted my first response, immediately after Squatter started this thread. And that post suggested linked references to poesy such as Rimbaud has gone on to explore in his post which was originally subsequent to this one.

My initial thought was to gently tease Squatter about how this thread coincides with his new sig, which fascinatingly recontextualizes the lines from Owen's poem, drawing interesting comparisons with some of Rimbaud's previous sigs on poetry. Yet when I follow the link to the poem in its entirety, it keens me greatly, (if I can use that intransitive verb transitively) especially these days.

My own sig offers just two lines from a poem which I both respect and admire. (No, not my own, I hasten to add. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) It is a refined, exquisitely crafted poem of great beauty and breathtaking in its haunting, condensed expression. I suspect it is the melding of passionate feeling with tightly structured control which intrigues me so much. It brings me to my knees every time I recite it, in awe.

And btw, Squatter, you were prophetic, old chap.

Bethberry

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Diamond18 02-19-2003 02:01 PM

Ah, signatures, those fleeting things. Just when I really like someone's sig they go and change it. There have been so many that I liked... Hmmm... But for now what really pops to mind is one of the first sigs I noticed when I joined this site (by Lush):

Quote:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice,
From what I tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
I probably got it wrong though...

Lush 02-19-2003 02:59 PM

Cute thread, Squatter.

Diamond, off the top of my head, that is the correct version indeed. Mr. Robert Frost did me a giant favor by cleverly putting into words my entire personal outlook on the apocalypse. Please note, however, that I cunningly left off the last two lines.

Phantom, the one about Russian imports goes like this: "He had heard that Russia had three great imports: vodka, caviar, and girls. Having had the first two in exess he thought it necessary to try me." I rightfully got rid of it: too depressing due to recent events.

As for personal preferences, I enjoy Diamond's immensely. I also like Mithadan's: Tolkien related and poetic.

As well as Kalimac's and HerenIstarion's, because I know what they mean, and because, in Heren's case, the quotaion is takinen from my favourite book of all time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Galadrie1 02-19-2003 03:05 PM

I really like Diamond's, and Lush's old Frost poem was a definitely a favourite.

(I think that pretty soon we'll be seeing threads for best personal title and best location. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]

Diamond18 02-19-2003 03:33 PM

That's not a bad idea, you know, as some "From:" entries are very clever. But I'd rather these threads were named "Favorite" instead of best, because it's all a matter of taste.

Thanks, I'm glad you like my sig: I was considering changing 'cause it might seem macabre, but instead I added to it and made it all the more demented. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
(Edit: And yet, now I have changed it. Sorry, it was starting to bother me.)

Another one I've always liked is LadyElbereth's:

Quote:

I wrote your name in the sand but the waves washed it away,
Then I wrote it in the sky but the wind blew it away,
So I wrote it in my heart and there it will stay.
Lush, the bit about ice sufficing would have gone well with your Fair and Cold PT, though I do like the way you ended the poem at the line about fire. Either way, Frost is just so signature-able. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Merri 02-20-2003 08:11 AM

I nominate Rimbaud's:

"It is worng to say, 'I think'. One ought to say, 'I am thought'.

Balin999 02-20-2003 12:59 PM

um... I never knew that I actually was in a quote. Hm....
Actually, I like the funnier ones more than others. But, there is also one of the famous "Gandalf telling Frodo about death"-quote. That is one of the wisest comments in the whole LotR, I think.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-20-2003 02:26 PM

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses; particularly those who saw fit to nominate my own efforts. Perhaps one of these days I shall quietly slip some of my own poetry into my sig and see if anyone notices. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Just to keep this rolling, here are some more:

Lush's signatures are often eclectic and amusing. This is both, but beneath the surface is a regret for some past sordidness that alters the slant of the entire quotation. Nice.
Quote:

You are the last drink I never should have drunk. You are the body hidden in the trunk. You are the habit I can't seem to kick. You are my secrets on the front page every week.
I'm not a religious man; but the Bible is full of beautiful and powerful language. Raefindel's signature unashamedly announces her beliefs in fantastic style.
Quote:

Blessed be the Lord my Strength, Who trained my hands for war and my fingers to fight. Psallm 144:1
Keep 'em coming, folks

Raefindel 02-20-2003 06:04 PM

Why, thank you sir. It's a matched set; my signature, my personal title and my avatar.

Lush 02-20-2003 10:33 PM

Sordidness? I am utterly shocked. Surely you mean some other girl named Lush. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Raefindel, I always meant to compliment yours as well. Squatter, though, got there first. Another one I really like is onewhitetree's (Kate's): simple and touching.

Gorwingel 02-21-2003 02:33 AM

InklingElf it made my day that you noticed my signature and all, but, you spelled my name wrong in your post.

There is so many good signatures, that I could not just choose. They go from simple, to humerious, to poetic, but they are all simply wonderful [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Sapphire_Flame 02-21-2003 12:27 PM

I vote for eleanor's. Glorwingel's too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I also give a nod to Arien's signature. It's very impressive.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]

onewhitetree 02-21-2003 12:47 PM

Thank you, Lush. (: In the spirit of fair play (haha, there's a personal title for someone), I must admit that I stole it from Legolas. (For those of you who didn't notice it before I changed it last week, it was "The best God ever created was a new tomorrow".) Its a lyric from my favorite song in the whole world: Vidrar Vel Til Lofterasa, by Sigur Ros, the best band in the whole world.

My new one is from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, a deliciously evil book. Yeah, I'm fickle.

Lush 02-21-2003 04:42 PM

Bill Ferny's signature is great:

Quote:

Morning, Longshanks! Off early? Found some friends at last?
I don't know what it refers to (I can be quite the uncultured swine), but it's hilarious!

P.S. Kate, Sigur Ros rocks my world.

Mister Underhill 02-21-2003 04:46 PM

Must be that weekend thing again, Lush -- Ferny's sig is a quote from... Bill Ferny. They're his mocking lines to Aragorn as he and the Hobbits are pulling out of Bree.

Estelyn Telcontar 02-21-2003 04:55 PM

Yes, Bill Ferny's signature is another nice example of a link to the nick - I like it!

Lush 02-21-2003 04:55 PM

*I am sorry. I am unable to reply, seeing as I am busy being fitted for my dunce cap*

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-21-2003 06:05 PM

But Lush, I already had one prepared for you. Now I'll have to give it to Underhill instead.

Mister Underhill 02-21-2003 06:26 PM

I'll take it! I average ten episodes of stupidity, temporary insanity, and/or simplemindedness per day, so I go through duncecaps like McDonald's goes through french fries.

[ February 21, 2003: Message edited by: Mister Underhill ]

Diamond18 02-21-2003 10:58 PM

Pah, ameteur. I can't even begin to count my mental lapses per hour! There, a contest prize I can actually win...give me that cap right quick!

Well then, after saying that, JenFramp probably won't be thrilled about me naming her signature as a favorite, but I'm going to anyway...

Quote:

And seeing a picture of Jesus he cried out,
"Momma, he's got some scars just like me."
And he knew it was love, It was one he could understand.
He was showing his love, And that's how he hurt his hands.
It's part of the lyrics to a beautiful song by the modern bluegrass/folk band "Nickel Creek", which just happens to be my favorite band, though I don't really like bluegrass as a genre. Fancy that.

Beren87 02-21-2003 11:50 PM

I quite like Merri's OSC quote. You have to love the Ender's Game series, honestly.

doug*platypus 02-22-2003 05:10 AM

Sigs? The shorter, the better. Stop the madness.

Much appreciation to Sapphire Flame, Bill Ferny, doug*platypus (mmmm... shameless self-promotion...) and anyone else with a catchy one-line signature.

BWA HA HA HAAA!!!

Helkahothion 02-22-2003 07:45 AM

I have to say that Maika has a good one to.
Quote:

To many people miss the silver lining, because they are expecting gold
Or something like that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And the fool to wisdom sig is a good one too.

Greetings,

Anuion
________
Vaporizer Review

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-22-2003 07:53 AM

What a fantastic quotation that is. I must remember to use it more often in conversation. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Orual 02-22-2003 02:08 PM

Diamond has one of my favorites; it's another avatar-sig pair:

Quote:

Bugs represents the person we all want to be, whereas Daffy captures a closer approximation of the person we all fear we actually are. ~ Chuck Jones
Indeed indeed. I also like Merri's, though I didn't remember it until I read this thread. I am most definitely a Card fan. Up top, Merri! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~*~Orual~*~

burrahobbit 02-22-2003 02:45 PM

Clearly.

Durelin 02-22-2003 03:42 PM

I like Coral's sig. It goes hand in hand with life:

Quote:

God I'm bored.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

But, of course, I like mine too! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm so selfish...maybe arrogant is a better word though.

Ithaeliel 02-22-2003 04:16 PM

I have to say I like mine... it also goes hand-in-hand with life, and it's for all those people who have nothing else to believe in.

I do so like Eleanor-Niphredil's, the one about the brain the size of a planet.

eleanor_niphredil 02-22-2003 04:20 PM

Its to tiring to be perfect AND modest [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I do like yours though. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, thats what i say.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-23-2003 05:09 AM

Quote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, thats what i say.
I was laughing out loud when I read that. I quite agree with you, elanor.

*Raises a quart of fourteen-twenty and drinks Elanor's very good health*

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]

Nevvasaiel 02-23-2003 10:08 AM

love your sig, Durelin!

*still processing, ponders its meaning...*

Pipperin 02-23-2003 10:16 AM

I like Ithaeliel's! It made me laugh the first time I read it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

VanimaEdhel 02-23-2003 03:23 PM

Quote:

"Well, Baruch, many times I say only 'yes' or 'no' to people. Even that is too much." --Calvin Coolidge
burrahobbit and I have had some...interesting...conversations actually, starting with that quote...

Quote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, thats what i say.
I agree...I love that one.

burrahobbit 02-23-2003 03:30 PM

;)