The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   In Memoriam - Quote Graveyard (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4595)

Galadriel55 03-27-2011 12:44 PM

It's interesting to see the different siggies people used to have.

I changed mine quite a few times. I'm not sure I remember which ones I had. Some of them:

*Elen sila lumenn omentielvo

*Wise and fearless and fair

*дороги трудны но хуже без дорог

*It's the work that's never started as takes longest to finish

*Everyone falls sooner or later. It's where you land that makes the difference.

And my current sig, which I'm going to change soon: I am alive for two reasons. The first I won't mention, and the second - so that I could read Tolkien.

Hm. I feel that I missed a few. I changed it more often than that.:confused:

Galadriel55 04-13-2011 07:48 PM

Bye bye old siggy!

Quote:

Не копи печали про запас
~Олег Митяев

Pitchwife 04-14-2011 11:19 AM

G55, has Google Translate been drinking again, or does your old sig really mean "No copy of sorrow in store"?:D

Galadriel55 04-14-2011 03:30 PM

Pffffffffff! :D That's what you get when you translate literally, and kind of using synonyms. It really means something like "Don't store your sorrows for later".

Azrakhor Akallabeth 04-14-2011 08:19 PM

Не копи печали про запас

My translator says, "Don't save grief for an emergency." Makes sense to me. I always whip mine out in Traffic Courts, whenever I look in my wallet, and when I consider what my someday future mother-in-law will look like. :(

Galadriel55 04-14-2011 08:42 PM

"про запас" actually means "for a back-up" or "for a case of emergency". However, it is more accurate in the overall meaning the way I translated it, I think...

*pulls hand away from keyboard: must...not...discuss...Russian...!!!...*

OK. Seriously. I'm probably boring y'all to death with my Russian. Why does it keep coming up in so many threads that I post in? I have to stop.

Galadriel55 05-20-2011 02:46 PM

My past two sigs:

Quote:

Looks foul, and feels foul as well.

Between major and minor there is but half a tone.
Quote:

Она хоть бывшая, но поданная русская ~
To avoid problems with Google Translate (which is probably drunk again :D), the latter one means She, though the former, is true/loyal/something-I-can't-translate Russian.

I think my new signature is very appropriate, considering that those Downers who are in school/Uni are going though the same pains as I (hetic studying and exams). It means, Hold on, people! Summer is comming soon! :p

Kuruharan 04-20-2012 06:03 PM

A tradition in need of reviving

Here lies...

Quote:

He was terrible at intrigue. Forgot which goblet he'd put the poison in. Wasn't finished gloating to his enemy when he keeled over.
...which I stole from some Dragon Age DLC (I think...I actually don't remember).

I replace it with

Quote:

Nobody has more control over you than you yourself

Formendacil 05-04-2012 05:15 PM

Laying it to rest where I can find it again...

It has been a very long run (almost three years, if I am right), but my quote from Sigurd and Gudrun has been replaced.

Quote:

'Wake now, wake now! War is kindled. Now helm to head, to hand the sword. Wake now, warriors, wielding glory! To wide Valhöll ways lie open.'

Kuruharan 06-24-2014 09:18 PM

A tradition in need of further reviving

I hereby do lay to rest:

Quote:

A government's job is to disappoint those whom they govern.
A statement made by a friend of mine intending to be satirical...but is completely true in every way.

I replace it with this:

Quote:

...wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.
- The House at Pooh Corner

Galadriel55 06-24-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuruharan (Post 692179)
I hereby do lay to rest:

Quote:

A government's job is to disappoint those whom they govern.
A statement made by a friend of mine intending to be satirical...but is completely true in every way.

Isn't that a statement made by some...one? I remember reading it while searching up someone's famous quotes. Maybe it's morm's qoute's author. But then there are so many true quotes of that nature about the government that maybe it just sounds similar.

Kuruharan 06-25-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 692183)
Isn't that a statement made by some...one?

Why yes. It was a statement made by a friend of mine who currently lives in Kentucky. ;)

Quote:

I remember reading it while searching up someone's famous quotes. Maybe it's morm's qoute's author. But then there are so many true quotes of that nature about the government that maybe it just sounds similar.
It probably just sounds similar, or maybe my friend was quoting somebody and I didn't realize it.

Kuruharan 07-13-2014 04:50 PM

Its life was tragically short...

...but necessity compels.

Here lies

Quote:

...wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.
To be replaced by

Pitchwife 07-20-2015 01:46 PM

Exit (after a long time, and still beloved) Dead Moon:
Quote:

It's OK, you don't have to run and hide away / It's OK, we've all seen better days / It's OK, OK OK OK / It's OK, we love you anyway. - Fred Cole
Enter Blyth Power:
Quote:

All my fingers ached to hold that pen again
All the ink was frozen on the page

Kuruharan 07-20-2015 02:15 PM

The Return to the Past, and thanks to Pitchwife for reviving the thread again

In my excitement about the Ten Year Anniversary Werewolf game, I forgot to properly memorialize the greatest piece of music ever written.

Alas.

Now, however, the game is finished (for over a month now) and I think it fitting, since it had a brief time in the sun (and nearly a year to the day too), to revive...

Quote:

Here lies...

Forever shall the fame of that game be sung!

Kuruharan 02-05-2016 10:18 PM

A tradition in need of further, further reviving...

Here lies...

Quote:

I have chosen something a little more uplifting this time...

Galadriel55 02-08-2016 10:32 PM

Laying down this signature - the most long-lived signature so far:

Quote:

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Bill Watterson
Celebrating the 5555th

To be replaced with this unearthed gem:

Quote:

"If you try and lose then it isn't your fault. But if you don't try and we lose, then it's all your fault." ~Orson Scott Card

Kuruharan 07-26-2018 11:30 AM

A tradition in need of further, further, further reviving...

Life changes have, alas, not permitted me to be too active on the Downs recently...or indeed this year when I look at my posting history. :o

However, today in my internet rummagings I came across in a very old blog a very Tolkienesque sounding phrase that I do hereby adopt as my new signature for a time:

Quote:

...finding a path that cannot be found, walking a road that cannot be seen, climbing a ladder that was never placed, or reading a paragraph that has no...
Therefore, I do lay to rest what has been a rather long-standing signature of mine:

May it rest in peace.