The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Middle-earth Pants (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18313)

Lalwendë 02-17-2013 01:39 PM

Middle-earth Pants

Now, if you are British, your concept of pants will be completely different to that of an American Downer and by now you will be sniggering.

But either way, if you dare, someone has designed leggings, swimsuits and some very nasty dresses with Middle-earth themed prints. If you ever wanted to say you had Thorin Oakenshield on your bottom then now is your opportunity:

Middle-earth Pants and other horrid things

It's safe for work, it's OK. You may want to get the nailbrush on your brain though.

Now, is it me, or do these garments look so entirely tacky because they are on typical models instead of geeks, or are they tacky full stop?

Either way, it got me laughing about what other things you might design. Such as Balrog Winged Spectacles. Or One Ring Shades. Or even Big Bombur Pants for those days when you need a cover up?

Bęthberry 02-17-2013 02:16 PM

Obviously a movies spinoff. I wonder--do you suppose they have the OK to use those pictures from New Line/Zaentz/whoever?

I rather doubt the Estate was involved. ;)

Galadriel55 02-17-2013 03:14 PM

"Off to battle swimsuit". Go on then, fight that swimsuit.

Don't you think the Legolas dress is gorgeous? :rolleyes:

The map ones are more original, and so is the You Shall Not Pass one. Bit they're still far below the pass line of what I consider wearable clothing. :D

Tuor in Gondolin 02-17-2013 03:28 PM

The You Shall Not Pass dress is more of a guideline
then a rule (depending on, you know...).

Morthoron 02-17-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin (Post 681445)
The You Shall Not Pass dress is more of a guideline
then a rule (depending on, you know...).

Wouldn't that be "You shall not pants"?

The unshapely geeks likely to wear those may look like they are wearing Bag-ends (TM). Definitely Frodon'ts.

Lalwendë 02-17-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry (Post 681437)
Obviously a movies spinoff. I wonder--do you suppose they have the OK to use those pictures from New Line/Zaentz/whoever?

I rather doubt the Estate was involved. ;)

If CT sees those leggings...

Now, I like to think he's fine with a Frodo Lives or an Eomer and Aragorn Went In the Van t-shirt but I'm not so sure about the use of the maps.

I would add a word of caution for anyone thinking to rush online and buy some. There are some photos of 'normal' people modelling them on the site and I have to say that with the unfortunate skin colour they have, from a distance they may look more like you have gone out sans culottes and with a bad case of varicose veins...

Ardent 02-17-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë (Post 681451)
If CT sees those leggings...

Now, I like to think he's fine with a Frodo Lives or an Eomer and Aragorn Went In the Van t-shirt but I'm not so sure about the use of the maps.

I wish I had not looked. It's like Lydia the Tattooed Lady: "with a view of Niagara that nobody has"

Guinevere 02-18-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë (Post 681451)
I would add a word of caution for anyone thinking to rush online and buy some. There are some photos of 'normal' people modelling them on the site and I have to say that with the unfortunate skin colour they have, from a distance they may look more like you have gone out sans culottes and with a bad case of varicose veins...

Would you believe it: this afternoon I encountered a young woman wearing exactly those "Middle-Earth map -leggings" (combined with a short red coat and black highheeled boots). And it looked exactly the way Lalwendë feared! When I saw the girl approaching from far away I had the impression of bare legs with varicous veins or bruises, and thought "what the heck??" until she war near enough to see the details. (I read your post only afterwards)

Faramir Jones 02-21-2013 12:08 PM

Nasty!

Lalwendë, you've discovered some nasty stuff. :eek: The ones I had a laugh at were the Witch King Leggings, and what the site said about them:

This guy was Sauron's second in command for over 4000 years, he invaded the kingdoms of Arnor, he's responsible for the fall of the kings of Gondor, he wields a sword and a mace (or a flail depending on your adaptation) and it took the most badass of all badass chicks to finally bring him down. So all in all he's a pretty epic fellow. He did stab a Hobbit once but we won't hold that against him.

Composition: 83% Polyester Bright, 17% Spandex
Washing: Please hand wash cool.
Designer: James Lillis
Made in: Australia

I can imagine the now disembodied wraith full of wrath at the lack of respect shown him, particularly at the percentage of polyester used, and vowing, if he ever gained physical form again, terrible revenge on James Lillis in particular, and Australians in general. :mad::D

Elyna of Rivendell 06-29-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faramir Jones (Post 681555)

I can imagine the now disembodied wraith full of wrath at the lack of respect shown him, particularly at the percentage of polyester used, and vowing, if he ever gained physical form again, terrible revenge on James Lillis in particular, and Australians in general. :mad::D

Oh dear I'd better be careful (I'm Australian) :eek: I get what you mean about the leggings though, my friend actually has some but i haven't had the heart to tell her they look a little scary when shes wears them...

Thinlómien 08-23-2013 02:37 PM

Ha, great. The Gandalf dress made me crack up, and come up with really lousy puns about uncloaking. I kind of like the map leggins though, but what you guys said about the effect from a distance might sadly be true. Some of this is just unbelievably silly. Names of all the dwarves on your legs? Maybe for the horny fangirls but really... Lastly, the Gondor swimsuit is quite cool, it would look better if it was just black on the back though.

Holbytlass 08-24-2013 05:06 PM

i hate leggings as pants...ugh, chronic camel toe

and legolas has his hand in an inappropriate spot on that bathing suit-publicly