The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   One Good Book Deserves Another (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5549)

Diamond18 10-06-2002 05:38 PM

One Good Book Deserves Another

We've had LotR meets the movies, commercials, and cartoons...what about LotR meets other books?

To make it easy, stick to famous passages from classic works of literature, so that even if people haven't read the book they'll have a chance to know what's going on.

Here's one from "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single hobbit in possession of a large burden, must be in want of a wight. However little known the feelings or views of such a hobbit may be on his first entering the barrow downs, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding wights, that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of them...to slaughter.

Eruialiwen 10-06-2002 06:15 PM

Hehehe that's good [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I was going to do a Romeo & Juliet about Aragorn and Arwen...but... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Diamond18 10-07-2002 04:16 PM

That isn't a bad idea, Eruialiwen...may I?

Arwen: "Aragorn, Aragorn! Wherefore art thou, Aragorn?"

Aragorn: "I'm right here!"

Arwen: "Thou art a dolt. 'Wherefore art thou' meaneth not, 'Where are you'? But rather, 'Why?' Why are you calléd Aragorn? Deny thy father and refuse thy name! What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet! So would Aragorn, were not he Aragorn calléd!"

Aragorn: "Milady, if Aragorn displeases you, I have others...Estel, Thorongil, Strider, Longshanks, Telcontar, Elessar, Elf-stone. Thou mayest take thy pick."

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Gayahithwen 10-08-2002 11:45 AM

Lord of the Rings meets The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams. Yes, this topic has been done before and Lotr meeting HGTTG has also been done before, but I like these topics and I tried to make my version of it at least a bit original...

©º°¨¨°º©©º°¨¨°º©©º°¨¨°º©

Pippin was still standing in the middle of the group where he had been put. He didn't look up at the scene around him. He just stood there thinking.

"We're trapped now aren't we?"

"Yes," said Strider, "we're trapped."

"Well didn't you think of anything? I thought you said you were going to think of something. Perhaps you thought of something and didn't notice."

"Oh yes, I thought of something," panted Strider. Pippin looked up expectantly.

"But unfortunately," continued Strider, "it rather involved being on the other side of these Black Riders." He looked longing at the fire they had just put out.

"But it was a good idea was it?"

"Oh yes, very neat."

"What was it?"

"Well I hadn't worked out the details yet. Not much point now is there?"

"So ... er, what happens next?"

"Oh, er, well the Black Riders that surrounds us will be attacking in a few moments and we will get killes. If you try to resist and fight back you can last for up to thirty seconds of course..." said Strider. He stuck his hands behind his back, raised his eyebrows and started to hum an old Gondorian battle hymn. To Pippin's eyes he suddenly looked very human.

"So this is it," said Pippin, "we're going to die."

"Yes," said Strider, "except... no! Wait a minute!" he suddenly looked behind them as he had seen something behind Pippin's line of
vision. "What's this elven army?" he cried.

"What? Where?" cried Pippin twisting round.

"No, I was only fooling," said Strider, "we are going to die after all."

He sat down on the ground and carried on the tune from where he left off.

"You know," said Pippin, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped between nine horrible Black Riders taken straight out of the old legends, with a man grom Gondor, and about to die of said Black Riders swords right in the middle of nowhere that I really wish I'd
listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen."

"Oh." Strider carried on humming.

[ October 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gayahithwen ]

Mintyztwin 11-14-2002 06:34 PM

From the Horse and His Boy. (Lost my book, probably not word for word.)

Frodo when he FINALLY reaches Valinor to Manwë: "Then it was you?"

Manwë: "yes. It was always me. It was I gave you the ring. It was I who made Gollum follow you. It was I who comforted you in the Marshes. It was I."

Or something vaugly like that. Y'know, when Aslan was talking to Shasta at the end of the book!

Nevfeniel 11-14-2002 06:51 PM

Okay, I know this says books so I'm going to find a slight loophole. I found an exerpt from Monty Python in my English textbook, so there! But I'm going to ask permission from the author of this thread before I post it, just to make sure.

Diamond18 11-15-2002 12:42 PM

Uncanny! I was just thinking about this thread, and how embarressed I was when I realized it was a "duplicate" thread. So thanks Mintyztwin and Nevfeniel for posting, but you should probably go do it in the original thread here. It's in the Books (I know, that's what I thought...what is a jocular thread doing in Books????)

There are some Monty Python ones there already, so you might want to scan for them before making your post, Nev.

Mintyztwin 11-17-2002 03:49 PM

To re-post on a redundant thread, I feel better now Diamond! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]