The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5145)

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-27-2008 08:09 AM

Well, to keep to the topic, it happened that today I was reading a part of a book from which I am supposed to write a paper. The book is in English, and at one moment the author wrote this:

Quote:

...It is my hunch that Niebuhr...
You can think of what I filled in that the writer's hunch said the poor Niebuhr was :D

Eönwë 05-28-2008 07:48 AM

When you have nothing to do so every 10 minutes you constantly check if there have been any new posts.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-28-2008 09:36 AM

Oh, I know precisely in which "stage" you are currently, Eönwë :D I have gone through it too...

Now, there's one thing which I consider a rather scary sign of addiction, which I should as well post to the BD Dreams thread, but... I had a dream today which I don't remember, almost at all, but what I remember is that I posted on this thread about some sign of addiction... I don't actually recall what it was, but I remember it was quite serious. The most serious thing however was, that the dream was so vivid that I was not sure whether I really haven't posted that sign here...

Rune Son of Bjarne 05-28-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 556646)
Oh, I know precisely in which "stage" you are currently, Eönwë :D I have gone through it too...

I belive this is one of the most common signs of addiction, at least it is the one that has been mentioned the most. I think this is at least the third time I have read people mentioning on this thread.

Eönwë 05-28-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 556646)

Does that mean its got better or worse?;)

Lhunardawen 05-28-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 556635)
When you have nothing to do so every 10 minutes you constantly check if there have been any new posts.

When you have a thesis proposal to do but every 10 minutes you constantly check if there have been any new posts. :D

Volo 05-29-2008 11:44 AM

Haha! We were walking in the city with Lommy, when I saw two girls (from our school) carrying a sign saying "I ♥ MAC".

Thinlómien 05-29-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volo (Post 556728)
Haha! We were walking in the city with Lommy, when I saw two girls (from our school) carrying a sign saying "I ♥ MAC".

Indeed, poor them, because we laughed at them quite a lot. :D Anyway, it was plain hilarious as the sign was very big and there was nothing else on it (except in very small print at the bottom).

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-29-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 556679)
Does that mean its got better or worse?;)

No comment :D

Though seriously, I think it's been better for some time, however I am quite convinced it will return someday ;)

Oops... (who readeth, understand...)

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-31-2008 02:15 AM

Double-posting?

When you have BD dreams about five days in a row, and are somewhat saddened by the fact that you don't remember their content well and thus can't post them.

Also, when all of a sudden you start thinking of weird similitudes, like "He is thin like Lómien." :rolleyes:

Lhunardawen 05-31-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 556856)
When you have BD dreams about five days in a row, and are somewhat saddened by the fact that you don't remember their content well and thus can't post them.

Seconded. For the past couple of days, when I wake up, I can barely even remember who were the Downer-subjects of my dream no matter how hard I try, much less what happened in the dream. It's frustrating.

Groin Redbeard 05-31-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

I never seem to have enough of those moments!:D

mark12_30 05-31-2008 02:20 PM

...and every time you check, you're tempted to add a post to the RPG that says

WILL

SOMEBODY

ELSE

ngphwqzbgrffglnksnrg

Lhunardawen 06-04-2008 04:08 AM

I just realised that all this time, I've been unconsciously imagining Arthur Weasley as Nogrod.

Thinlómien 06-04-2008 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen (Post 557461)
I just realised that all this time, I've been unconsciously imagining Arthur Weasley as Nogrod.

:D:D *dies* Oh, the hilariousity. And I really have to admit there's a similarity! :D

Mithalwen 06-04-2008 06:44 AM

Hopefully not plug collecting... :p

When you see an Irish pub called Finns - and think of Lommie and co.

Eönwë 06-04-2008 11:31 AM

When you see PM (for Prime Minister) and immediately think of Private Messaging.

satansaloser2005 06-04-2008 10:37 PM

Heh. Nice one. :)

I was listening to the TV and they were interviewing some random Finnish guy. I immediately looked up to see if it was Noggie. :rolleyes:

Gwathagor 06-04-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 557586)
Heh. Nice one. :)

I was listening to the TV and they were interviewing some random Finnish guy. I immediately looked up to see if it was Noggie. :rolleyes:

And was it?? :eek:

satansaloser2005 06-04-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 557587)
And was it?? :eek:

Hehe. Sadly no. Our lovely modgod and resident Tom Bombadil is MUCH more interesting than was this fellow. (It was the Travel Channel and the guy was like eighty)

Lhunardawen 06-06-2008 03:47 AM

I assign walks down the BD memory lane to Orthanc.

Whoops, wrong thread.

I was searching for something (still am, as I post this, actually) in the announcements subforum and couldn't help re-reading some of the threads every so often. It's time-consuming (and I'm supposed to be doing something else, but who here isn't? :p) but I'm having a lot of fun! Look, I even unearthed this for y'all. :) I'm quite sure Enca won't mind (even if she no longer wanders here)...

Oddwen 06-06-2008 08:24 AM

I work at a secondhand store where we accumulate a copious amount of clothes. I was putting away some of the said garments when I could have sworn I saw a shirt that said "Abercrombie of Rohan". I flipped back to it, but it had morphed to that other boring trademark. :(

Eönwë 06-06-2008 04:15 PM

I saw a van with the words "Mac tools" on it, and did a double take, then I thought: what is Mac doing in England?

Volo 06-06-2008 05:10 PM

When a friend has internet on his phone and while ordering a meal you decide that one just must try if one can enter BD by phone and post a post on the Addiction thread. Half way the post he was half way his meal, and then I pressed some button which deleted my whole message. :( I'm not getting such a phone.

satansaloser2005 06-06-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volo (Post 557983)
When a friend has internet on his phone and while ordering a meal you decide that one just must try if one can enter BD by phone and post a post on the Addiction thread. Half way the post he was half way his meal, and then I pressed some button which deleted my whole message. :( I'm not getting such a phone.

Been there, done that. Well, gotten on the Downs via a friend's cell, that is.

A Little Green 06-07-2008 03:35 AM

I consider it a serious sign of addiction that I start laughing aloud at some seemingly ordinary passages of Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre. Like these:

Quote:

It was from companionship with this baby-phantom I had been roused on that moon-light night when I heard the cry...
Quote:

There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.
Quote:

Though haughty Hate should strike me down,
Right, bar approach to me,
And grinding Might, with furious frown,
Swear endless enmity.

:rolleyes:

satansaloser2005 06-07-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen (Post 557461)

HAHA! Now you have me doing the same thing! Blast....

The Day's over, and I'm still expecting posts for some reason. And nobody's even on IM, so I've got nothing to do....dagnabbit.

Durelin 06-08-2008 12:16 AM

Well, I won't say this is about my addiction to the Downs, really...it's more about how much the 'Downs has meant for me (yes yes, take the sappyness out of Mirth, I know!)... On my high school class ring (I almost didn't bother to get one), I had inscribed on one side just below the stone my year of graduation very traditionally, and on the other, 'Durelin'.

Makes me more fond of it than I'd ever thought I'd be, in addition to the old name of my school being on there, too (they're changing locations after a looooonnng time, and so changed the name because the name was connected to the place...) Yeah, I think I'd answer to 'Durelin' if anyone ever started calling me that "in RL".

satansaloser2005 06-08-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durelin (Post 558482)
Well, I won't say this is about my addiction to the Downs, really...it's more about how much the 'Downs has meant for me (yes yes, take the sappyness out of Mirth, I know!)... On my high school class ring (I almost didn't bother to get one), I had inscribed on one side just below the stone my year of graduation very traditionally, and on the other, 'Durelin'.

Makes me more fond of it than I'd ever thought I'd be, in addition to the old name of my school being on there, too (they're changing locations after a looooonnng time, and so changed the name because the name was connected to the place...) Yeah, I think I'd answer to 'Durelin' if anyone ever started calling me that "in RL".

Awwww, that's cool, Dure.

Hehe is it sad that I answer to Sally on a regular basis? *shifty eyes*

Rikae 06-08-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 558548)
Hehe is it sad that I answer to Sally on a regular basis? *shifty eyes*

Not any sadder than the fact that I still think of Mac as Mac...
then again, I can't pronounce his real name correctly anyway (now THAT is sad).

A Little Green 06-09-2008 11:02 AM

Speaking of Mac... I think it's a sign of addiction when you are watching a Germany - Poland football match and your thoughts go like "Ooh that one looks just like Mac... Hey he's German as well!" Here is a pic of him. (Actually he only looks like Mac from a distance and only when he looks grim or scowls at the camera, but still...) :D

satansaloser2005 06-09-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitanna in the Sigs Thread
I spent the last semester of school studying WWII. Many coming months of my life will be pretty heavily involved with research and papers regarding WWII and Nazi Germany. And yet it took Groin Redbeard's signature to remind me yesterday was D-Day.

Who else saw WW and immediately thought....well, you know....

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-11-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

The first month on the Barrow-Downs I was on almost 24-7 that bug got me good!

When you are driving around town and you see a sign that you think says Rikae and then you turn back and realize it said Rilke... And I thought for a moment that Rikae had come to my city...

Or when you and your friend were on the Downs so regularly that I started calling her Lauri and she called me TGEW... and when your sitting down at lunch and the only thing you can talk about is the Barrow-Downs!

Volo 06-11-2008 03:08 PM

George R.R. Martin is one annoying guy, having names like Moat Cailin, Lord Mormont and Lommy Greenhands in his novels. Gah, freak.

edit: And not only that but in the town of Turku there was a great big sign of Aga on some building, apart from having three or so boats floating together with names from Kurt Vonnegut's Deadeye Dick (ok, not Tolkien or BD, but I was reading that at the time).

Thinlómien 06-11-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volo (Post 559304)
George R.R. Martin is one annoying guy, having names like Moat Cailin, Lord Mormont and Lommy Greenhands in his novels. Gah, freak.

I gather you haven't met Val yet (or Anguy)... ;):p

Volo 06-12-2008 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 559325)
I gather you haven't met Val yet (or Anguy)... ;):p

Aargh (again)! I truly wonder who leeked him information on Downers-to-be. article?

Rikae 06-12-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 558966)
Who else saw WW and immediately thought....well, you know....

I think that all the time.

Macalaure 06-12-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Little Green (Post 558806)
Speaking of Mac... I think it's a sign of addiction when you are watching a Germany - Poland football match and your thoughts go like "Ooh that one looks just like Mac... Hey he's German as well!" Here is a pic of him. (Actually he only looks like Mac from a distance and only when he looks grim or scowls at the camera, but still...)

Hehe... but Metzelder always looks grim or scowls at the camera. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eonwe
I saw a van with the words "Mac tools" on it, and did a double take, then I thought: what is Mac doing in England?

It seems like I'm owning a huge franchise and don't know it! :eek: There's a restaurant chain "Mac Steaks" in NY and a chinese restaurant "Mac Wong" around the corner here.

I need to sue all these people. *evil grin*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikae
I think that all the time.

Is it a sign of non-addiction if I don't get what you're talking about? :confused:

Lhunardawen 06-12-2008 12:52 PM

Mac, WW! From what planet are you? :p :D

Aganzir 06-12-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macalaure (Post 559428)
It seems like I'm owning a huge franchise and don't know it! :eek: There's a restaurant chain "Mac Steaks" in NY and a chinese restaurant "Mac Wong" around the corner here.

I need to sue all these people. *evil grin*

And iMacs. Did it happen to be intentional that you chose to be an apple farmer in the DW? ;)