The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Middle-earth Flora & Fauna (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3893)

Tarien Ithil 10-01-2003 11:26 AM

Middle-earth Flora & Fauna

Let’s test your knowledge of the flora and fauna of Middle-earth! All you have to do is get the following question right and then continue with another flora/fauna question.

What was the name of the legendary wild oxen that lived near the Sea of Rhûn?

Enjoy,

Tarien

Niluial 10-01-2003 04:03 PM

I believe the answer is the Kine of Araw…

~Niluial

Telchar 10-01-2003 04:05 PM

The cows of Orome???

Tarien Ithil 10-03-2003 11:53 AM

Good answer Nil! That'll do. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Niluial 10-03-2003 12:02 PM

Oh yea, I got it right!!!

The lord of Eotheod, who was named Leod, tried to tame the most beauteous Horse his people had ever seen, but the Horse was wild and proud and threw Leod, who was then killed. What did they name the horse?

~Nilly

Tarien Ithil 10-03-2003 01:58 PM

The horse's name was Mansbane, later called Felarof. I hope I got that right........... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Niluial 10-03-2003 02:10 PM

And right you are! (Looks like Tarien and I are going to be the only ones playing this game… this is going to be funny!) Anyway… your go Tarien!

~Niluial

Tarien Ithil 10-03-2003 02:18 PM

Thanks Nil (and other peopel must also have a turn! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

In which river did the Kraken make its lair?

Niluial 10-03-2003 02:24 PM

This one is easy! And the answer is the River Sirannon!

~Nilly

Telchar 10-04-2003 02:49 AM

This question pussled me! To my knowledge Tolkien NEVER wrote anything about 'a kraken' let alone 'The Kraken', so I did a little research.

It seems that our friend David Day (may someone roast his balls over a slow fire)is on the move again. In A Tolkien Bestiary he describes the watcher in the water as a kraken created by Morgoth, BUT this is as usual his own invention of myth...

The Kraken of Norwegian legend is an enormous sea monster, capable of capsizing a ship. The earliest stories date from the 12th century and tell of a creature the size of an island. In 1752, the Bishop of Bergen described one as being a mile and a half across. Worrying words indeed, especially in a book seriously entitled The Natural History of Norway. In 1830, Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote his poem "The Kraken". By this time, there was huge enthusiasm for the study of the natural world. He combined the Scandinavian legend with his own view of a creature from the deep. We now believe that the Kraken is in fact a giant squid. It is the largest invertebrate predator on earth, growing to more than 20m and has the largest eyes in the animal kingdom. We know they exist. There are reports of them attacking ships in the 1930s, probably mistaking them for whales and one was washed up on a beach in Scotland not so long ago. But although the mystery of the Kraken is solved, the giant squid is still shrouded in mystery: as yet, scientists haven't seen a living specimen.

Pleased to share...
T

Niluial 10-04-2003 03:34 AM

Quote:

Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote his poem "The Kraken".
I studied that poem in my final year and it was actually included in our exam. It is interesting that you mentioned;

Quote:

To my knowledge Tolkien NEVER wrote anything about 'a kraken' let alone 'The Kraken'
I was wondering where The Kraken was in his books for I have never read anything about it in his books. I was about to leave this question out when I remember my metric year… but I got it right didn’t I? Anyway lets get back on Tolkien and not David Day (Sorry to ask but who is he?)and thank you for sharing with us [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!

Niluial

P.S. Just for anyone who intrested here is Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem:

The Kraken
Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides; above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumber'd and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages, and will lie
Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.

- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

[ October 04, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]

Telchar 10-04-2003 05:00 AM

Quote:

David Day (Sorry to ask but who is he?)
David Day is one of Morgoths many evil creations!

He has written such books as the Above, A Tolkien Compas and The Tolkien Companion and The Hobbit Companion - and they all suck!!!

AVOID ALL BOOKS BY DAVID DAY. No matter how pretty they may seem, Day's Tolkien books bear little resemblance to the Middle-earth Tolkien created. David Day just makes up stuff as he goes along and passes it off as if it's based on real research. Christopher Tolkien has even gone so far as to call Day "a literary burglar".

Tarien Ithil 10-04-2003 01:23 PM

Pardon me, but Telchar, I totally disagree!

David Day writes useful and clever reader companions which have help me a lot with the understanding of Tolkien. I have purchased one of his books and it is a wonder. Sorry, but i don't know wherethe heck you're coming from! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Back on subject, correct Nil! Your go.

Telchar 10-04-2003 04:10 PM

The disrespect David day have earned from more or less everybody who studies Tolkien seriously, should be enough to convince you, besides that even Christopher Tolkien (that profits highly the more hype there is around the works of his father) chritisises David Day for being an writer that knows little about Tolkiens works and still writes book about it for profit - Biggist problem is that a lot of people that doesnt know this about David Day takes what he writes for given fact... which I think is sad!

That you enjoy the books is fine, but please dont use anything found in David Day books as the base material for questions about the works of JRR Tolkien

Niluial 10-04-2003 04:35 PM

Ok, ok I think it is enough about David Day for one day (sounds funny). Lets stop arguing and get on with the quizzes!

In the War of the Ring, the Mearas did great service. Give an example of when they did great service!

Clue: something to do with Snowmane

Niluial

Tarien Ithil 10-05-2003 12:17 AM

Thank you, Telchar, for sharing that! I will be more cautious of him! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'll post something about Day in the Books forum, so i don't interupt this quiz! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry, Nil, was it because Snowmane carried Theoden into the Battles of Hornburg and the Pelennor Fields?

Niluial 10-05-2003 02:51 AM

And again you are correct! Um… I really do wish other people would answer the questions!

Tarien Ithil 10-05-2003 08:22 AM

OK, Telchar, you acn have my go. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I think other peeps should get a turn!

Telchar 10-05-2003 10:42 AM

OK, thanks.

What was the Sindarin word for westmansweed and what was it?

Arestevana 10-05-2003 04:16 PM

The Sindarin word was 'Galenas', and the plant was pipeweed.

Telchar 10-05-2003 04:25 PM

Indeed that is correct! Please proceed Arestevana [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 10-05-2003 05:43 PM

Well, things seem to have calmed down on the David Day front. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But, just for future reference, the topics in this forum are not for discussion of the pros and cons of the various commentators on Tolkien's works, nor indeed for any in depth discussion related to Tolkien's works. There are other fora specifically dedicated to that purpose, and I am glad to see that Tarien Ithil took the discussion concerning Day to the Books forum, where it belongs.

Let's keep to Quiz questions and answers, folks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Arestevana 10-06-2003 02:13 PM

In The Hobbit, what animal carries messages for the dwarves?

Evisse the Blue 10-07-2003 06:37 AM

The raven. Roac to be precise.

[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Evisse the Blue ]

Arestevana 10-08-2003 03:13 PM

Correct!

Evisse the Blue 10-11-2003 03:52 AM

what was the horse who mourned his master's passing?

Niluial 10-11-2003 06:44 AM

Damn I cant remember the horses name! I know it… its somewhere locked in my mind!!

Nilly

Estanesse 10-12-2003 04:43 PM

Is it Rochallor the horse of Fingolfin?
Who died of sorrow.

Evisse the Blue 10-13-2003 01:54 AM

Yes, that's the one.
Please proceed, Smiley face! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Telchar 10-13-2003 03:02 AM

Interesting - I never came across that - where is that from?

Telchar 10-13-2003 03:04 AM

Estanesse 10-13-2003 01:08 PM

How old was the son of Carc in the year 2789 of the third age.

Quote:

It’s from the history of middle earth

Telchar 10-15-2003 06:23 PM

Róac was probably taking flying lessons at the time being but a single year old ;o)

Estanesse 10-16-2003 05:04 AM

you have outstanding bird knowledge Telchar [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Telchar 10-16-2003 05:11 AM

Give me the names of at least 6 living things that flew in the 3rd age. (For example Gwaihir - and not eagle)

The Saucepan Man 10-16-2003 07:11 AM

Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, Fili, Kili, Ori, Dori, Nori, Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.

There, that's fifteen. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

OK, seriously:

Smaug, Scatha, Roac, Carc, Gwaihir and Landroval.

[ October 16, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Telchar 10-16-2003 05:53 PM

Cool answer Saucepans. I actually think that Scatha was refered to a 'the worm' and I always took he for being more like Glaurung, meaning not a winged dragon, and therefore not flying.

My substitute was Meneldur, but I think you should go on, on acount of your creative answer [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Gwaihir the Windlord 10-17-2003 03:14 AM

'Worm' is simply an old word for dragon. I have heard that in HoME it is said that Scatha flew.

The Saucepan Man 10-17-2003 07:47 AM

Interesting point about Scatha. I had assumed that he had wings. To avoid further discussion here, I have posted a new topic on the subject in the Books forum.

And now, a question.

Name three varieties of invertebrate mentioned in Tolkien's works as growing to a large size.

Telchar 10-17-2003 01:07 PM

Here goes:

The Watcher in the water
Ungoliant/Shelob big spiders

And thirdly (and Im just not sure): Ents/Hourns