The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Formendacil and Nienna Announce Their Engagement (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17323)

Formendacil 05-02-2011 08:33 AM

Formendacil and Nienna Announce Their Engagement

Because of the fact that this site played a central role in our original acquaintance and in the earlier stages of simple friendship development, it seemed fair that the "breaking news" of our engagement on the Internet should be made here, rather than Facebook--though the paparazzi have already leaked it there.

Approximately two years ago, I met Nienna, while I was meeting one Feanor of the Peredhil, whose roommate she happened to be. In the aftermath of that meeting, we became friends and when I was looking to make a major change in my life plans--and in so doing move as far away as I could from western Canada--I made a choice to go somewhere I knew people: namely Boston, where I had met the aforementioned ladies.

This fateful decision and the fact that Nienna was the person I knew best in Boston eventually led to our friendship developing into a romantic relationship, and even before I moved to Boston, we were "a couple" (as any Downer who was at Bostonmoot could probably attest). Yesterday I got down on one knee and pulled out a ring, and asked her to marry me--and she said yes!--thus putting us in line for becoming the next in a string of "Downer Married Couples."

Given the importance this website has played in allowing us to meet each other, you all have our thanks on that basic level, but you are quite a bit more than just that. Many of you have become the extended social circle that has provided a number of real-life friends, and it is highly conceivable that a number of you will be posting to the "I met a fellow BDer" thread in the wake of our nuptials (which, for those inquiring, is tentatively dated for "June-ish, 2012").

Inziladun 05-02-2011 08:38 AM

Let me be the first to congratulate you here, my friend! All the best wishes for your future happiness. :)

Rumil 05-02-2011 09:57 AM

Many Congratulations Formendacil and Nienna!

:D

Feanor of the Peredhil 05-02-2011 12:49 PM

Congratulations, my darlings. You know I've always wished you both nothing but the best. Unless you try to dress me in pumpkin orange (I am glaring straight at you, Formykins), in which case I am boycotting your wedding and sabotaging the hen party.

:Merisu:

Pitchwife 05-02-2011 01:15 PM

Now if that doesn't beat the royal wedding!:D I'm glad for you two and wish you all the best for a happy future marriage!

Eönwë 05-02-2011 02:25 PM

Wow! Congratulations Formy and Nienna! :D

piosenniel 05-02-2011 02:30 PM

Congratulations to you both! Wishing you a very happy life together!!

:cool:

~*~ Pio :D

Boromir88 05-02-2011 03:48 PM

Love both of you very dearly, you know this :D

Galadriel55 05-02-2011 03:52 PM

<-- For your future, Formy and Nienna! :)

Congratulations!!! :D

I wish you all the best!

Nienna 05-02-2011 04:44 PM

Thank you all for your congratulations and well wishes. For those who'd like the story in a bit more sappy version:

Formendacil and I were going out to my back yard to take some new pictures of us together. We were all dressed nice and I wanted a new picture of us together. We got out to the spot and then instead of pulling the camera out of his pocket he pulled the little ring box and got down on his knee. It was very adorable. And the ring is gorgeous (if a tad big).

Mnemosyne 05-02-2011 05:19 PM

Oh, no, not again... :rolleyes:

No, seriously, congratulations to the both of you.

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-02-2011 05:46 PM

I of course join the host of congratulations - this is wonderful news. I am very happy for the two of you, and I will save a prayer or two in your direction. And now that I think back, I must smile at the beauty of your "story". I just remembered certain Form saying somewhere randomly about three years ago something about wondering if meeting Downers in person might not be hazardous. I could perhaps put it a bit more differently (and it of course goes for both of you) - "it is a dangerous business, my dear Frodo, going to meet a 'Downer... there's no knowing where you might be swept off to". Just like with Bilbo, however, such a way of "being swept" might be a wonderful journey. So all the best for you two, sharing the journey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 653748)
Now if that doesn't beat the royal wedding!:D

Surely! I mean, really, this is something that really makes me happy, and interests me far more than some random royal folks (bah). Such a thing beats all front page news... and now I would really wish somebody to try to tell me that we live in a merciless and unfeeling world!

I just hope that Form and Nienna are not going to suffer from exactly the same thing as the royal family did, being in the center of attention of all 'Downers as celebrities, and that we offer them enough privacy to enjoy this happiness :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nienna (Post 653758)
Thank you all for your congratulations and well wishes. For those who'd like the story in a bit more sappy version:

Formendacil and I were going out to my back yard to take some new pictures of us together. We were all dressed nice and I wanted a new picture of us together. We got out to the spot and then instead of pulling the camera out of his pocket he pulled the little ring box and got down on his knee. It was very adorable. And the ring is gorgeous (if a tad big).

Only a small remark in the end - a tad big, you say? Just, well, you know, I suggest checking it in front of a fireplace. I mean, just in case. We all know Form is a nice guy, but... just in case.

:)

Boromir88 05-02-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 653761)
Only a small remark in the end - a tad big, you say? Just, well, you know, I suggest checking it in front of a fireplace. I mean, just in case. We all know Form is a nice guy, but... just in case.

No no.

Crikey, this one's a beau'teh. Form-tested, Boro-approved...erm, ahem, Ni-approved too. :p

Durelin 05-02-2011 08:24 PM

Congratulations! To happiness! :)

Kuruharan 05-02-2011 08:42 PM

Congratulations! :)

As one who has recently attained the married state, I can tell you that a happy marriage is the most wonderful thing in the world.

Rikae 05-02-2011 10:34 PM

Congratulations! I wish you both all the best!

(...but what kind of hopeless geek marries someone they met on a Tolkien forum? :rolleyes:)

Eomer of the Rohirrim 05-03-2011 05:44 AM

Ah me! History, indeed, is much like an endless waltz: the three beats of war, peace and Barrow-Downers getting married continue on forever.

Many congratulations to the happy couple. Nienna, I don't know you so well, but I trust you are aware that your future husband is an esteemed scholar of Wargs and Wargdom in general; so I'm sure that the marriage will indeed be blessed.

alatar 05-03-2011 08:15 AM

Wow! Congratulations! :)

Maybe the Downs should start running ads for wedding gowns, halls, Rings, etc. ;)

satansaloser2005 05-03-2011 08:23 AM

Oh, flipping seriously, again? Not another one. *grumble grumble grumble*

Ahem. I mean....

SQUEE! ^_^

Congratulations to the both of you! Now I wonder who will be next? :rolleyes:

Rikae 05-03-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 653789)
Congratulations to the both of you! Now I wonder who will be next? :rolleyes:

My money's on any of the grumblers. :p

Nerwen 05-03-2011 03:18 PM

*throws confetti*

The Wolfy-game dating site strikes again!:smokin:

Nogrod 05-03-2011 03:33 PM

If someone would count the number of active posters and the intimate relationships come reality thereafter, the Barrow Downs would beat any "match-making" sites easily! :D

(love your comment Rikae!!!)

All the best to you, you good people!

Lhunardawen 05-03-2011 09:50 PM

I already expressed my greetings in another corner of the interwebs but I guess it's much different saying it as Lhuna, so...

Congratulations (again), Form and Nienna! :)

(Is it just me, or does there seem to be a pattern emerging?)

Eomer of the Rohirrim 05-04-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerwen (Post 653808)
*throws confetti*

The Wolfy-game dating site strikes again!:smokin:

:D

I'll need to let mum know that her description remains valid.

Oddwen 05-04-2011 10:16 AM

Congratulations to you both! :D

Estelyn Telcontar 05-04-2011 12:14 PM

Congratulations to the two of you! I wish you all the best!

But really, Formy, you should watch out - someone could make an inappropriate connection between this news and your signature:
Quote:

Wake now, wake now! War is kindled.
:p

Loslote 05-04-2011 07:01 PM

Happy news much? ;) Congratulations! :D

Galadriel55 05-04-2011 07:17 PM

Making predictions...

I'll wager that in a few years there'll be a thread called "Yet another new 'Downer" started by Form and Nienna. How likely is this to happen? Pretty likey, methinks. :Merisu: :D

I'm so happy for you both! *jumps on her bed from over-excitement*

Lalaith 05-05-2011 02:15 PM

Dear Form and Nienna, many congratulations.

Hilde Bracegirdle 05-05-2011 03:50 PM

Oh yes! Best wishes for a long and happy life together! And many thanks for sharing your happy news with us.

Thinlómien 05-07-2011 05:44 AM

Kind of feeling the same as Lhuna - it would be appropriate to congratulate you here too. So, once more, congrats dear Formy and Nienna! All the best to both of you.

Blind Guardian 05-12-2011 05:47 PM

Congrats to you two! I hope you are happy together!

Folwren 08-26-2011 09:36 PM

I'm rather late, but I just saw this today...

Congratulations, Formy and Nienna! That's really exciting. :D Hoping the best for you and that your marriage is a blessed one.

-- Folwren

Legolas 12-30-2011 12:51 PM

I totally missed this as well - am terrible about checking the 'other' forums sometimes.

This is awesome. Congratulations to the both of you. I know this is at least the second instance of folks coming together after meeting through BD!

Any chance of a bit of Tolkiendom making its way into the ceremony? I can understand where it could be considered cheesy or whimsical, especially to family/friends looking on with no connection themselves, but it could also be done tastefully and appropriately.

Many who might criticize such should consider that they may be willing to have some sappy love song off the radio to serve them similarly. Is that so different? :rolleyes::D

Mithalwen 12-30-2011 03:43 PM

Legolas, you have a bit more catching up to do...which do you think is the other one and we will fill you in....I mean there are babies who are no longer really babies now.....

Feanor of the Peredhil 06-27-2012 08:43 AM

Barrowdowners have trouble holding still for photos...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...41682834_n.jpg

Even [or especially] while celebrating the nuptials of Mr. and Mrs. Niennamendacil.

(From the left: Encaitare, Bethberry, Lariren Shadow, Boromir88, Rune, Ni, Formy, me, Wilwa, Glirdy, and Mirandir. Photo credits for this particular shot go to Mira's fella with a shoutout to Mira for disappearing with me in the middle of the Reception to go buy more batteries.)

--

(I'd hold off on posting pics until they're back from their honeymoon, but they're all over Facebook already from just about everyone in attendance.)

--

MANY CONGRATULATIONS TO MY SISTERBIRD AND MY HONORARY BIG BROTHER!

Inziladun 06-27-2012 09:42 AM

Excellent! :)

Many congratulations to both, and my prayer for a long and happy life together.

Boromir88 06-27-2012 10:24 AM

Pictures are everywhere, but I just have to put up a couple of favs...like teaching Wilwa the electric slide

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...43010216_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...26372951_n.jpg

It was a beautiful wedding and much love to the bride and groom. :D

Galadriel55 06-27-2012 10:27 AM

Congratulations!!! :D My best wishes to you both!

Bethberry, beware - you'll be pestered for details the next smial moot! ;)

PS: looks like you all had loads of fun there!

Kuruharan 06-27-2012 10:44 AM

Hooray!

Huzzah and huzzah again!

Best wishes now and for all your days to come!