The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Adūnaic Name Generator (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4500)

The Barrow-Wight 01-22-2004 04:47 PM

Adūnaic Name Generator

We have added the Adūnaic language to the Name Generator. Have fun.

P.S. Read the disclaimer before complaining that it "isn't a real translation".

Durelin 01-22-2004 07:09 PM

*applauds*

Love it...having so many names to choose from is wonderful!! Unfortunately, you had some fun with the types of race or creature of Middle-Earth you could receive. I have been a Loathsome Warg for years now. Very unfortunate. But I like Abraeke, my Adūnaic name. Not to be picky, but...could this be translated somewhere on the site? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Luthien_ Tinuviel 01-22-2004 09:48 PM

Very cool. But how did you find all the Adunaic roots, BW? That must have been a lot of work. Not like you don't always put a lot of work into the site. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gorwingel 01-23-2004 12:25 AM

I know this will make me look like an idiot... But what exactly is the Adūnaic language? To what race does it belong too?

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-23-2004 01:36 AM

Adūnaic is the tongue of the Protoss, the first race created by the Xel-naga...oops, wrong story! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here it is:

Adūnaic The language of Nśmenor. It came from the original of the people of Hador, who never forgot their mother tongue despite learning the noble tongue(Sindarin). And from it came the Westron tongue, the comon tongue of Middle-earth.

Orominuialwen 01-23-2004 10:46 AM

Very cool, BW. I like my Adūnaic name, Nakāda. I typed in my friend's name, and came up with Gimilzōr! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

The Barrow-Wight 01-23-2004 10:48 AM

Sharkū compiled the word roots used for the Adūnaic names, so the credit goes to him.

I'm glad to see that people are enjoying this latest addition to the Downs.

Finwe 01-23-2004 12:05 PM

Hmm... Nuzīritur, I rather like the sound of that. It sounds all Dark-Lord-ish. Very spiffy generator, BW! This site just keeps getting better and better!

Ainaserkewen 01-23-2004 12:06 PM

Wow, that's so interesting. My name is
Nīlūkhō, all the accents are confusing but it's fasinating. Thanks Sharku for the list and thanks BW for the add on. My friends (non-BDers) love the name generator. They're not total Tolkien lovers like me, but they love the names they can get out of the generator.

Lhunardawen 01-24-2004 03:20 AM

Ooh...Saphadtur, interesting name. I wonder what it means... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, I was talking to myself.

I agree with Ainaserkewen...thanks, Sharku! If not for the name generator, I would not be here in the forum. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Neferchoirwen 02-08-2004 02:56 AM

Quote:

If not for the name generator, I would not be here in the forum.
I nod my head to that as well! I was born (or rather, died) into this place because of the name generator. Thanks, Sharku! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thorongil 02-11-2004 01:58 AM

I got Zāirsīn. Whatever that is.

Btw, It says I'm a pockmarked Nazgul. Does anybody know what pockmarked is? I didn't find it in the dictionary.

Sirithheruwen 02-14-2004 01:01 PM

Quote:

If not for the name generator, I would not be here in the forum. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [/B]
Same here...

Banāthlak: Hmmm...reminds me a bit of Ben Afleck (sp?) whom I despise...but that's OK. I can always search under something else.

Zadnunaseke: This is another one I got from a variation of the order of my full name...

Ennarasāru: ...And this is another. I think this is my fave.

Oh, and thanks a ton to Sharku and the B-W!!! This is awesome!!!

ArwenBaggins 03-07-2004 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Thorongil
Btw, It says I'm a pockmarked Nazgul. Does anybody know what pockmarked is? I didn't find it in the dictionary.
Pockmarked means: 'marked by scars or marks caused by smallpox or acne'. Hehehe! You're a Nazgūl with acne! :D

I got Aglahadtrahanū. Nice and long. ::) I think I'll stick to Fėa.

~Fėa

Thorongil 03-08-2004 12:07 AM

Thanks for helping :)
Now i'm a health hazard:D

ArwenBaggins 03-08-2004 03:16 PM

Haha :D. You're welcome. :D

I tried another variation of my name and got Eįrņhū. I like that too! :p

~Fėa

Thorongil 03-09-2004 04:18 AM

That seems a little more manageable. All these names are a bit funny aren't they?

Heaven Net 07-09-2009 07:30 AM

Adūnaic Name Generator

Type your full name in the box to discover your true Middle-earth names according to the Red Book of Westmarch.

In Middle-earth, The Generator was a Tired Stoor. His Elven Name is Perlanthirion. His Hobbit name is Samwise Muddyfoot from theMarish. His Dwarven name is Kili Copperfist. His Orkish name is Golmazh the Crippler and his Adūnaic name is Ezendizōrnas.

Nerwen 07-11-2009 08:53 AM

Welcome to the Downs, Heaven Net!

But tell me, why the anagram? Would not your actual name, Heaven ENT, have been more Tolkienesque?

By the way, may I suggest Ar-Spāmbōtōr as your Adūnaic name? It just seems so... I don't know... so you, somehow.

Bźthberry 07-11-2009 09:12 AM

A quick note--the link to the Name Generator in the first post is no longer working.

Quote:

The requested URL /middleearthname.asp was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Nogrod 07-11-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bźthberry (Post 603378)
A quick note--the link to the Name Generator in the first post is no longer working.

But this will work...

And you not only get the Adūnaic name but also others - tested Barrow-Downs quality page!

Here's what I got when writing my Finnish name as it is...

Now according to the Red Book of Westmarch I am a Respected Half-elf by name of Teleplambe or Teleplambeion.

Would I be a hobbit, I would be Ferumbras Headstrong from The Far Downs.

As dwarf I would be Nįin Poolwater, as an orc Ghazwśrz the Meek... :)

And last but not least, in Adūnaic I would be Hikalkhazīr

Maybe I should try making my last name in English as it actually means something - the first name sadly doesn't and is thus outside the scope of any reasonable "tranlations"...

Estelyn Telcontar 07-12-2009 09:31 AM

Nogrod, there is no actual translation involved - the Downs name generator functions on a random principle. Sorry - I know some people would like their name with the same meaning in Elvish, and there is a website that has done something like that. I'll try to find it.

Estelyn Telcontar 07-12-2009 09:43 AM

Here's an earlier post by Gordis with lots of name-related links:
Names, names, names

Bźthberry 07-12-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 603413)
But this will work...

Thanks for the working link, Nogrod. Perhaps some Admin or Mod could use that to correct the faulty link in the first post? It will be more easily found in the first post than in a lone subsequent post, I would think.

Estelyn Telcontar 07-13-2009 07:26 AM

Yes, thanks for the correct link, Nogrod; I edited the first post in this thread to correct it. It's now working.