The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   In Memoriam - Quote Graveyard (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4595)

Amanaduial the archer 06-26-2004 02:00 PM

I hereby leave to rest my most long-standing signature, a faithful companion for some-long-time...

Quote:

Tell too many lies and there's no truth to go back to
It's from 'The Monstrous Regiment' by Terry Pratchett, one of my favourite books of all time - for those among you who haven't read it, I strongly recommend it and any of Terry Pratchett's works.

*sniff* R.I.P. ;)

HerenIstarion 06-26-2004 03:23 PM

Hallo, fellow TP fan :)

Monstrous Regiment is one I haven't got yet. My current 'Flappity-flappity flap! Cheep, cheep! Ach, poor wee me, cheepitty-cheep!' comes from Wee Free Men

:)

Kuruharan 06-27-2004 11:06 AM

Boo-hoo.

I'm going to retire my "Random Quote from Random Book" sig. Since I am making pathethic attempts to participate in the Chapter-by-Chapter discussion I thought I would replace it with a choice selection from each week's chapter (depending on how I keep up with the discussion, and I don't have a particularly good track record yet.)

Farewell Oh Random Sig! May your eyries receive you at the journey's end!

*weep* *weep*

Amanaduial the archer 06-27-2004 12:03 PM

Ah, my turn to say I haven't read that one, although I was curious about your sig, Heren ;). The Monstrous Regiment and Night Watch are probably my favourites - yes, Vimes is probably my favourite character. Along with Death - Mort was the first Pratchett book I read, so, well...

My current signature is from a completely different fantasy type though - Susan Price's 'Sterkarm Handshake'.

Bęthberry 06-27-2004 04:14 PM

*bows head for a moment of silence as she lays this one to rest:

"The sky had never seemed so sky, the world had never seemed so world ....Nothing ... had ever been so interesting."

Eowyn Skywalker 06-27-2004 10:27 PM

Sigh, I had to edit mine, and leave the oddness behind, in favor of an announcment!

Now, let us all weep, as I leave my lack of sense and dollars behind...
Quote:

Why should I make sense when I could make dollars??
<---Eowyn Skywalker is a proud member of the nearsighted elves foundation...
Middle-earth, the insane crossover site...
Maybe I should mention that I married Anakin today as well...

-Eowyn Skywalker

Amanaduial the archer 06-28-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry
*bows head for a moment of silence as she lays this one to rest:

"The sky had never seemed so sky, the world had never seemed so world ....Nothing ... had ever been so interesting."

Bethberry, I was curious about your sig: what is it from?

Bęthberry 06-29-2004 06:30 PM

Thanks for asking, Aman. :)

It is from Neil Gaiman's splendidly strange and frightening tale of a young's girl's courage and adventure, Coraline.

Aylwen Dreamsong 06-30-2004 01:34 PM

In the last few months I have probably gone through nine or ten different sigs, most of them old ones that I had decided could use some reviving but then quickly decided differently. In the end, I think I shall finally stick with this completely new sig:

Quote:

'The Mathemagician nodded knowingly and stroked his chin several times. "You'll find," he remarked to Milo gently, "that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly worth the effort."'
A quote from the wonderful 'children's' book, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. The book was written and published in 1961. It really is quite a wonderful book! It has been likened to Alice in Wonderland for its use of puns and plays on words. Highly recommended.

-Aylwen

Amanaduial the archer 06-30-2004 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Thanks for asking, Aman. :)

It is from Neil Gaiman's splendidly strange and frightening tale of a young's girl's courage and adventure, Coraline.

Ah! And I suppose you would never believe what I chanced to be reading yesterday? That's right - one of my friends declared that Coraline should have been a necessary part of my childhood (this would be the same friend who was horrified when I said I hadn't even heard of the Faraway Tree and thrust it upon me). I came to that point and smiled as I recognised it, Bethberry :)

Imladris 06-30-2004 11:13 PM

Alas, I must say goodbye to my standing sig and avatar.

Puss in Boots was great -- but a greater movie came along. Thus, Puss in Boots

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...ootsavatar.jpg

is to be replaced with Spiderman

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/...rmanavatar.jpg

And my awesome sig which is a mixture of Bill and Ted, Matrix, and Peter Pan

Quote:

Be excellent to each other! Party on, Dudes!
Purpose of life is to end, but to die will be an awfully big adventure.
is to be replaced with the tag lines of Spiderman 2 since the most excellent IMDB doesn't have the cool Spidey quotes up yet. *dark glower*

Cheers!
Imladris

Vuelve 07-01-2004 01:05 PM

I'm retiring
Quote:

"Pray for mercy from Puss in Boots!"
for a sequence from American Outlaws, but I'm keeping my avatar. I've grown quite attached to it.

Saraphim 07-03-2004 12:01 AM

My avvy needs a good make-over, and a trim. Here it is, may it rest in peace and ect.

Quote:

~Saraphim, Head of Eyeglass Repair
"You will find me in the matinee..." (Franz Ferdinand)
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." ~Faramir
Too long, too varied, and thus it ends.

Elennar Starfire 07-15-2004 09:46 AM

I was going to do a siggy serial...but I got bored with it too quickly. Anyway, I lay to rest my wonderful dreams quote:

Quote:

Darkness on the edge, shadows where I stand; I search for the time on a watch with no hands. I want to see you clearly, come closer than this, but all I remember are the dreams in the mist.

Fordim Hedgethistle 07-20-2004 05:16 PM

Please excuse this post, but I've finally got myself a siggie and I wanted to see it. It's not appeared in any of my old posts, so I'm hoping that it will appear on this one.

As this is my first, I have no old quote to consign to the graveyard. I can make one up, however:

"How extravagent you are, throwing away women like that. Who knows? Perhaps some day they might become scarce!" -- Louis Renault, from Casablanca

Estelyn Telcontar 07-21-2004 01:45 AM

Fordim, it's nice that you have a signature now! You do share one problem with some other newer forum members, unfortunately, so this is a good opportunity for me to remind everyone of our guideline for signature length.
Quote:

Please note that the new Downs policy is that all signatures must be three lines or less as they appear in your posts on the board.
( Barrow-Downs FAQ )
This is often a problem with poetry, since even a four-liner takes up more than three lines. That's why we ask members to find a way to keep their poem within that three-line maximum. Thanks! :)

Fingolfin II 07-21-2004 01:47 AM

Ironic, Esty- your signature's more than three lines too! ;):p

Fordim Hedgethistle 07-21-2004 05:31 AM

*ducks his head in newbie shame and runs off to fix it*

Estelyn Telcontar 07-21-2004 05:37 AM

Quote:

Ironic, Esty- your signature's more than three lines too!
That depends on the display mode/resolution, Fingolfin - I set it up to show exactly three lines on my screen, but perhaps mine is larger than yours!

Mariska Greenleaf 07-21-2004 05:51 AM

Quote:

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun."
I'm leaving behind this wonderful quote from Pablo Picasso, and changed my sig to a more up to date quote.
RIP!

Amanaduial the archer 07-21-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Fordim, it's nice that you have a signature now! You do share one problem with some other newer forum members, unfortunately, so this is a good opportunity for me to remind everyone of our guideline for signature length. This is often a problem with poetry, since even a four-liner takes up more than three lines. That's why we ask members to find a way to keep their poem within that three-line maximum. Thanks! :)

*gulp* Oh, and here I was thinking I had finally got away with it...;)

Fingolfin II 07-22-2004 01:00 AM

Quote:

I set it up to show exactly three lines on my screen, but perhaps mine is larger than yours!
Ah, I see. I thought it was a bit weird, the way it was set up....

Orominuialwen 07-23-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

RotK Soundtrack: $15, Hobbit vest:$20, 3 opening-day tickets for RotK:$30, Fabric for Éowyn costume:$50, Starting an orc sing-along in the parking lot after the show: Priceless
RIP That sig served me well. from January, to now, late July. The prices are in some places invented, since my brother's Frodo vest came from a rummage sale, so the actual cost was less than $1 US (it was a bag sale), but that wouldn't be very believable. We did start singing a parody of Y.M.C.A. called U.R.U.K. at 11:30 pm in the theater parking lot after seeing RotK for the first time -- we got some funny looks for that! :D :D

Orual 07-23-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

Half of this is in some archaic, proto-demon cuneiform. And I don't like to be rude, but the other half, I think they just doodled. --Angelus
RIP. It was pretty funny while it lasted, but I enjoy my new Faith quote.

Morsul the Dark 07-26-2004 04:23 PM

my old signature was

Sauron my lord gave my a ring and on it it said "morturo Sauron na esse a nazg" :eek:

Saraphim 07-27-2004 12:13 AM

My pointless siggy now rests here, replaced by yet another pointless siggy. For now at least.

Quote:

Some people are like slinkies, worthless, but fun to push down the stairs.
~~~~
Haggis: It's not just for breakfast anymore.
'Cuz my new one is so much better and all...

Eomer of the Rohirrim 07-27-2004 07:10 AM

I really liked that sig Saraphim, it provided justification for those times when I would gorge on haggis at 2am. :D

Saraphim 07-27-2004 12:51 PM

Thanks, Eomer. I just wish haggis was as easy to get ahold of here. And by the way, I love your new title!

Eomer of the Rohirrim 07-27-2004 03:02 PM

Thanks. I'm very proud to have it. :)

If only I could remember my old signatures, I might actually have something interesting to put here.

Orual 08-01-2004 11:16 AM

Adeus to Faith...

Quote:

"You'll love it, B. It's just like fun, only boring." --Faith
I'm indulging the musical theatre geek inside of me with my new quote from Les Miserables. I was able to see it in performance yesterday, so my next few quotes may be from Les Mis.

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-06-2004 12:40 PM

I shall now lay to rest my signature, one of which I have had for quite a long time.

Quote:

And so they stood on the walls of the City of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air.
I'm like a bad penny-- I always turn up.

Fare thee well, and may you never be forgotten.

Fea

Elennar Starfire 08-06-2004 07:27 PM

Your new one is great, Fea!

Imladris 08-06-2004 08:47 PM

Here is my oldest one, a quote by Albus Dumbledore:

Quote:

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."
I spose I like it so much because it speaks volumes of self sacrifice and nobility. Very Tolkienish come to think of it.

Feanor of the Peredhil 08-08-2004 11:12 AM

Why thankee kindly, Elennar, I rather like the new one myself.

Fea

Elennar Starfire 08-08-2004 07:22 PM

Now I leave behind one random friend's quote for another random friend's quote...
Quote:

The keyboard is mightier than the pistol.

Gil-Galad 08-08-2004 07:42 PM

i forgot my first one, but my new one (sorta) is in italics!

Gil-Galad 08-09-2004 09:19 PM

ah i remember it now!

Feed me a Dwarf for i am hungry

Morsul the Dark 08-09-2004 09:50 PM

Bows Head We...ok I gather ...ok Post here to say farewell to my last quote

"Fear the Black M for I am wiser than Sauron and my wrath greater, I am Morsul the Dark and all shall fall to me!"

Tosses Flowers on Grave..quote I'll always remem-- Hey look a penny!...What was i doing here again?

Gil-Galad 08-09-2004 09:52 PM

You were joining the huge crowd over my Quotes Grave...

Morsul the Dark 08-09-2004 09:55 PM

Oh yes =...walks over."Its sad Gil's Sigs are always the best"...tears stream down my face...looks over hey you yeah you is there food at this funeral?

OK enough thread wasting from me