The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tolkien Events 2014 (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18718)

Faramir Jones 04-22-2014 10:06 AM

Tolkien Events 2014

As in 2013, there doesn't seem to be a general thread for this, so I've set it up.

I'll probably be going to the Oxonmoot in September, it being a day longer this year. Is anyone else thinking of going?

Hookbill the Goomba 04-22-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faramir Jones (Post 690788)
As in 2013, there doesn't seem to be a general thread for this, so I've set it up.

I'll probably be going to the Oxonmoot in September, it being a day longer this year. Is anyone else thinking of going?

Yes, I'm thinking of popping down to the moot. Will have to think of a show stopping costume, though. :p

Faramir Jones 04-23-2014 03:19 AM

Your Saruman will be hard to beat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba (Post 690802)
Yes, I'm thinking of popping down to the moot. Will have to think of a show stopping costume, though. :p

That's true, Hookbill. As someone who was there, your Saruman Manero, sorry Saruman of Many Colours, will be hard to beat! :D

Estelyn Telcontar 06-05-2014 05:52 AM

It's not easy for me to get away from home now, but I do have hopes of being able to come to Oxonmoot in September! I'd love to see all of the regulars again, and it would be marvelous if other Downers could join us for the first time.
As for costume, I will certainly think of something - it may not be a funny parody though. After a few years of being silly I find myself wanting just a pretty dress!

Bêthberry 06-05-2014 09:00 PM

I'm hoping to attend, but no guarantees yet. Have an idea for a costume but nothing super.

Aganzir 06-07-2014 04:28 PM

I haven't booked Oxonmoot yet but I've booked the flights, so count on me and m'lady Kath being there!

Faramir Jones 06-10-2014 11:50 AM

Good news

Nice to hear, Aganzir and Kath, that you'll be along! :D

It'd be great to see you there, Bêthberry, if you can come. ;)

I know what you mean, Esty, about getting tired of being silly! :D For some years, I sent people funny Christmas cards, but then got tired of keeping it up...

If any Downers are interested in coming to Oxonmoot for the first time, they'll be guaranteed a warm welcome from us 'older folk'!

Estelyn Telcontar 06-16-2014 09:13 AM

The Downers are the most fun group at Oxonmoot and if no other BD members come for the first time, we simply adopt other guests and recruit them for the site!

Lotrelf 06-16-2014 11:29 PM

I wish I could come, but that's just IMPOSSIBLE.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 07-01-2014 02:06 PM

I didn't get both DTG lighters last time, so I have to go this year. It would be nice to form a Downs quiz team this time if anybody fancies it.

Bungo 07-11-2014 03:50 PM

Hi everyone,

it has been a very long time since I logged into BDs - nearly a year. However, having bought my tickets I logged to to see who else will be coming to Oxonmoot. Good to see some of the BDers we met last time will be there.

This will be my second time at Oxonmoot, and this time I'll be coming with both daughters. So two more young ladies to play table football and dress up on Saturday night.

Now it is my second time I know to get planning on a costume!

best wishes

Bungo

Aganzir 07-12-2014 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungo (Post 693144)
This will be my second time at Oxonmoot, and this time I'll be coming with both daughters. So two more young ladies to play table football and dress up on Saturday night

Will they be wanting beards? ;)

Faramir Jones 07-12-2014 07:42 AM

I'm game

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Squatter of Amon Rûdh (Post 692829)
It would be nice to form a Downs quiz team this time if anybody fancies it.

I'm game if you and others are, Squatter. :smokin:

Faramir Jones 07-12-2014 07:45 AM

Looking forward to seeing you three

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungo (Post 693144)
This will be my second time at Oxonmoot, and this time I'll be coming with both daughters. So two more young ladies to play table football and dress up on Saturday night.

Now it is my second time I know to get planning on a costume!

I'm looking forward to seeing you three, Bungo, and your costumes as well.

Bungo 07-14-2014 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 693155)
Will they be wanting beards? ;)

Hi Aganzir,

When I mentioned having a beard to my youngest daughter she grinned like a cheshire cat - so that would be a big yes! She cannot think of anything better than being a dwarf. You met her last year when she came as 'Young Arwen'.

My elder daughter has not been to Oxonmoot before and she is keen to come as one of the elder race. So the question of a beard led to a wrinkled nose and the kind of disdain one might expect of the fairer folk. However, I am sure she will be equally keen to play table football!

Great to hear from you,

Bungo and daughters

Bungo 07-14-2014 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faramir Jones (Post 693159)
I'm looking forward to seeing you three, Bungo, and your costumes as well.

Yes, we are all looking forward to it. And I hope you will come costumed-up too!

Estelyn Telcontar 07-30-2014 12:41 PM

I just registered for Oxonmoot! So looking forward to meeting the Downers who will be there!

Faramir Jones 07-31-2014 07:08 AM

Me too!

I'm following Esty by saying that my registration for the 'moot was confirmed; so I'm looking forward to seeing you all! :D

Estelyn Telcontar 08-10-2014 09:16 AM

Who's coming on the first day of Oxonmoot, Thursday? I'm arriving before noon - anyone want to meet for lunch?

Faramir Jones 08-11-2014 10:27 AM

Lunch in the Eagle and Child at 12 noon?

Esty, at the last Oxonmoot there was an arranged lunch in the Eagle and Child on the Friday at 12 noon. This year, while nothing has been arranged, I was told to just turn up at 12 if I was there. It appeared that booking in advance made no difference to the speed of ordering last year.

I'm certainly considering turning up at the Bird and Baby at 12 noon on the Thursday. Could some of us arrange to meet up then? :cool:

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 08-11-2014 02:08 PM

I booked my place tonight. I should be in Oxford by noon, but it may take a while to ditch the car. The Eagle and Child isn't my favourite Oxford pub, but I'll go there if that's where everyone will be. That's two for the quiz team. Anyone else fancy a stab at it?

Faramir Jones 08-16-2014 08:28 AM

I'll be there

I'll be there if you are, Squatter. :)

Faramir Jones 08-16-2014 10:28 AM

St. Giles's Fair

Out of amusement, if anyone is coming to Oxford earlier than the 'moot, on Monday, 8th - Tuesday, 9th September, he or she might be interested in St. Giles's Fair:

http://england.prm.ox.ac.uk/englishn...iles-fair.html

http://www.headington.org.uk/oxon/stgiles/fair/

http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/...tGilesFair.htm

It sounds like the sort of stuff hobbits would enjoy! :D

Estelyn Telcontar 08-30-2014 08:50 AM

That does sound interesting, Faramir, but though I will be in England, I'll be spending the first half of the week in London.

As for the B&B, I'm not too enthused - it's liable to be crowded. How about if we meet at the pub Hookbill suggested - Far From the Madding Crowd? It's central and easy to reach from the train station. We can meet there around 12 noon, and there will still be opportunity to go to the B&B (or Lamb and Flag, which I like better) sometime during Oxonmoot or when it ends on Sunday.

Who'll join me at lunch on Thursday?

Pervinca Took 08-31-2014 05:37 PM

I will be there, but not until Thursday evening.

Hookbill the Goomba 09-01-2014 02:09 PM

I'm trying to decide weather or not to take the train down. If I do, then I'll have to get one that arrives some time after noon, so I'd miss the meet up. :(
We can work something out, though, I'm sure. I can get a train that arrives in Oxford at just after noon and swing by FftMC, probably around half past, depending on how quick my little legs are.

Unless I can get descent parking for overnight in Oxford, in which case I might drive down.

Estelyn Telcontar 09-02-2014 05:55 AM

I don't think waiting for someone who comes a bit later will be a problem - time flies when we Downers get together! However, for those who can't be there that early, we should find an unoccupied spot on the Oxonmoot time table and get together then. Photo proof is expected, and we always have a good time!