The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Sweet Ride, Leggy!" -- Cars of the Fellowship of the Ring? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5087)

VanimaEdhel 03-23-2003 06:42 PM

"Sweet Ride, Leggy!" -- Cars of the Fellowship of the Ring?

Here's an interesting discussion idea I came up with whilst I was in Florida (okay, maybe I did have too much sun): what kind of cars do you think the Fellowship would drive? Actually, the thought came up when my dad insinuated that the man driving the Ford on the road in Florida was Bilbo Baggins.

Personally, I think Legolas would have some little red Mercedes convertible. Aragorn would have a beat-up old pick-up truck. Boromir would have a big, flashy, gold Ferrarri or something. Sam I could see in a trusty station wagon. Gimli would be in a Hummer or something. Gandalf would have some dusty-looking, run-down-looking car that could really move like the wind. Merry and Pippin would have identical racing cars. Frodo would keep changing his mind and changing cars, I think.

For non-Fellowship members, I could see Galadriel having a Volkswagen Beetle. Saruman would have a big stretch limo (white first, then black) with a driver. Arwen would have some sleek, black car, I imagine (she is, after all, Evenstar - star of the evening). Gollum would have some grimy, icky, putrid-green, beat-up old station wagon of some variety.

Eep! Ran out of time! I'll come back later...

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-23-2003 06:46 PM

Faramir would have a second-hand Jaguar sport that would have its little quirks (the door won't open unless you tap it in a certain place, the windows won't roll down unless you stop the car then start it again, the air conditioning smells like rotten fruit, etc.) but it would run fairly well. Éomer would have a souped-up Dodge Viper. Éowyn would have a big ol' Chevy truck colored green. Denethor would have a Subaru that he would never touch for fear that he'd scratch it. And in the midst of it all, Treebeard would be riding a bicycle....

Meela 03-24-2003 12:57 PM

Treebeard on a bicycle... *dies laughing*

I think Faramir and Boromir should ride a tandem. Or Boromir and Denethor would have motor cycles, and Faramir follows, pedalling furiously on his tricycle.

Or Eomer and Eowyn in lederhosen, riding a tandem, or in a trailer attatched to a battered old jeep.

Haldir has a flash little red sports car, complete with sunglasses and headscarf, and Celeborn has a silver whatever with tinted windows.

Gandalf has a Skoda. Or perhaps Denethor does. No, all the old guys. Elrond, Bilbo, Denethor, Gandalf, Saruman, Theoden, etc.

GaladrieloftheOlden 03-24-2003 01:14 PM

As you said, Sam on an old trusty truck.... *cracks up*

Goldberry 03-24-2003 02:09 PM

Quote:

I think Faramir and Boromir should ride a tandem. Or Boromir and Denethor would have motor cycles, and Faramir follows, pedalling furiously on his tricycle.
lol! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Manardariel 03-24-2003 02:13 PM

lol, guys, lol!

Arwen: red convertible. Obvious.
Frodo: second-hand chevi in Babyblue

eleanor_niphredil 03-24-2003 03:10 PM

Sam and his van [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Orcs should ride Harleys [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hobbits on their trusty bikes [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Pippin and Merry in matching matiz's. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Meela 03-24-2003 03:15 PM

the nazgul have scooters. then unicycles or stilts

eleanor_niphredil 03-24-2003 03:32 PM

frodo and sam jetting it to mordor [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sapphire_Flame 03-24-2003 04:01 PM

Quote:

the nazgul have scooters. then unicycles or stilts
Heehee, Nazgul on scooters... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sam would definately have a big 'ol van. I mean, look how many kids he has! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I can see Gimli in a Hummer, actually. hm...

Legolas would have some speedy little sports car, in forest green naturally. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:

...Boromir and Denethor would have motor cycles, and Faramir follows, pedalling furiously on his tricycle.
Yes, yes, I can definately picture that.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] hee hee hee...

I don't know why, but I picture Gandalf in a Dodge Charger. With a Hemi.

Aragorn would have a beat up 1950 Dodge Pick-up, but it would still run great.

I'll be back if I think of more...

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess 03-24-2003 05:24 PM

haha...those are too funny. i think that bilbo would have one of those really getto catalacs...

VanimaEdhel 03-24-2003 05:50 PM

You just gave me a mental image of Bilbo at a stoplight, waving to pretty girls, with the music blasting so loud that the car thumps up and down with the beat. In my mental image, he also had on sunglasses, had in an earring, and wore many gold chains...heehee...

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess 03-24-2003 05:57 PM

oh wow...scary picture... literally. haha. thats great. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] lol

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 03-24-2003 06:15 PM

Lol!! The Nazgul on mopeds!!

For some reason I just imagined Gandy on one of those giant tricycles, with the humongous front wheels. And Frodo on a pink bike with sparkly streamers coming from the handlebars and a white basket on the front. Heh heh heh...

Faenaduial 03-24-2003 07:51 PM

Quote:

Personally, I think Legolas would have some little red Mercedes convertible.
I picture Legolas in a sleek "green" jaguar convertible. He would look great in a red car but I always think: elf--forest--Greenleaf. It must be a green car!

And I love the Nazgul on scooters. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Vuelve 03-24-2003 08:43 PM

lol bilbo in a pimp ride.lol
pimp daddy Bilbo LOLLOLOLOLOL [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
I see Saruman in this far out groovy 70s style van. and painted in big grovy letters is "Saruman of Psychadelic Colors, Man.."
or "Saruman of Shagadelic Colors, Man.."
comes complete with a tye dye paint job to match his "Groovy" bathrobe...

wwwwwwoooooowwwwww mental image [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: Vuelve ]

Sapphire_Flame 03-25-2003 04:05 PM

Interesting thought, Vuelve... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think the Nazgul would ride Harleys, then after the Ford (you know, during the whole "wraiths on wings" thing) they could have Apache choppers. Just my thought.

Sauron would drive a VW Beetle. Why? 'Cause he's an eyeball. Eyeballs are round. VW Beetles are round. 'Nuff said.

My brother insists that Saruman would drive a DeLorean. He also insisted that I tell that to all of you...Meh... *shrugs wearily*

VanimaEdhel 03-25-2003 06:21 PM

Sauron would use a truck shaped like a Visine bottle, for goodness sakes! What's wrong with you? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lindril Arvilya 03-25-2003 08:08 PM

Actually, you're more right than you think, Sapphire.
If any of you were at the Two Towers exhibit at the ROM in Toronto, you likely would have seen Sauron's car parked out front.
For those who didn't get to go:
Red Volkswagen Beetle, with black Ring-script on the metal part above the tires (sorry, don't know terminology), and "Lord of the Rings" written on the front and back. It was damn sweet and I want one. Stupid boyfriend didn't win it....

Gorwingel 03-25-2003 08:25 PM

You mean they were giving that Red Volkswagon Beetle with the LOTR logo on it at the Toronto exibition as a prize. I saw a picture of that at TheOneRing.net, at first I thought one of the staff members at the site owned it.

But I would have to say that Arwen would so drive a Silver BMW Z4 roadster (bought by Daddy Elrond of course)
And Frodo would drive a Mini, any of the hobbits could drive a Mini, except for maybe Sam.

Aduyuldaiel-MirkwoodPrincess 03-26-2003 06:41 PM

My cousins' co-worker went to that thing. he said it was awesome. she gave me the little book thingy...

i think that sam would definatly be driving a minivan, all beatup like my volleyball coaches.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

VanimaEdhel 03-27-2003 08:28 AM

And there would be Cheerios all over the back seat of the minivan. And at least one screaming child all the time. And there would always be Disney cassette tapes playing in the car.

Galadriel9 03-27-2003 10:11 AM

Hee hee, these are so funny, [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I picture Sam in an old but oh so reliable Volvo estate type thing, with orange juice, mushrooms(!) and crisps all crushed into the backseat. Also, Sauron in one of those black Chrysler gangster type cars(sorry, spelling car names is not my strong point!) [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quirkette 03-27-2003 12:02 PM

Gollum left his car parked by his favorite fishing spot, but someone stole it. Now he hitchhikes all over the place trying to get it back. He's rarely picked up (even with that long thumb he's got). No one wants to pick him up, because he looks so weird.

VanimaEdhel 03-28-2003 01:59 PM

Meanwhile, if my mom saw Gollum trying to hitchhike, she'd say, "Oooooh! Gollum! You need a little lift? Come on in!" Then she'd give him many hugs that he would not appreciate. My mom has officially fallen in love with Gollum...

Quirkette 03-28-2003 02:27 PM

That's so sweet. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'd pick him up, too.

Lindril Arvilya 03-28-2003 03:13 PM

I think Saruman should drive the Batmobile.

(And notice how the little green thumb is hitchhiking?)

VanimaEdhel 03-28-2003 06:53 PM

But not a black Batmobile! It would be a white one! And then he'd redo the paint job so it had many colors! Then he'd cruise around with the top down.

I imagine Grima's car breaking down a lot. He'd be the guy hitchhiking that you would not pick up, no matter what. He would be the guy that you hear stories about when people pick him up: "...and all they found were three of the driver's fingers".

Gandalf would probably have a five-horse trailer in the back...using all the room for Shadowfax, of course. Either that or Shadowfax would just run alongside the car.

Legolas would definitely have a convertible, though, so his hair could blow in the breeze as he went, making him even cooler looking.

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-28-2003 09:03 PM

Quote:

He'd be the guy hitchhiking that you would not pick up, no matter what.
Unless your name was Meela. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Everdawn 03-29-2003 05:09 AM

Aragorn= rusty Holden Ute...

and with the natural rivalry between aragorn and Boromir... boromir would have to have a Falcon

Meela 03-29-2003 10:06 AM

Quote:

Unless your name was Meela.
You got there before me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*stops and picks up Grima*

VanimaEdhel 03-29-2003 01:55 PM

Quote:

*stops and picks up Grima*
And they only found three fingers...

Yes, Aragorn would have a car that, when it was new, was very pretty, but is now beat-up. When he became king, he'd just clean the old car up a little so it sparkled more.

Arvedui III 03-29-2003 02:51 PM

I can see Legolas driving a lotus or masurati(sorry, I can't spell), Aragorn has an old mustang that gets revamped and costumized once he becomes king. Sam has an Oddessy mini-van, Frodo would have like a green camry or something, and Merry and Pippen would be racing around in their identical mini-coppers.

Boromir needs a falcon, and Faramir would be driving Eowyn around in his rusty Holden Ute. Denethor likes the falcon better then then Holden so he gives Boromir his sleek red SUV, along with his favoritism. Eowyn in turn would have some kind of a convertable, and Eomer would have a camerro, I don't know why, he just would.

I can see Gandalf with a white stock car that has a horse painted on the hood racing around and around the track. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lindril Arvilya 03-29-2003 06:17 PM

I think Frodo should drive an Austin Cooper. I just saw one on the freeway to Toronto. It seemed to be way, way out of its range. You should not put one of those things anywhere where it's required to go over 60 km.

Sapphire_Flame 04-02-2003 12:12 PM

Maybe Denethor would drive a Firebird... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Meela 04-02-2003 12:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe Denethor would drive a Firebird...
*gets in and drives off with him*

Airehiriel 04-02-2003 01:38 PM

Legolas in a green corvette...I don't know if he would put the top down, though. It may put tangles in his hair.

I love the thought of Haldir riding around with a scarf on his head to keep his hair perfect. Like the women in the 50's movies used to do!! LOL And the big movie starish sunglasses.

I think the beat up truck + Aragron is a perfect combination. It would have mud splatters all over. In fact, all the Rangers probably have them...ohhhh wait Rangers = Range Rover?! Possiblities!! It is a pretty versatile vehicle.

Elrond would drive a silver Mercedes Benz.

Arwen - any flashy car that Elrond bought her!

Galadriel - something that didn't pollute, perhaps a Focus. It's supposed to be a low emmission car. Or an electric car that she has to plug in all the time!

Iartellumawen 04-02-2003 01:44 PM

I think that that car thing is really funny. the cars fit perfect to the characters. especially Aragorn, and a beat up truck. (that is if they could ever convince him to use the road!)

Meela 04-02-2003 02:42 PM

Range Rover! Of course! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

No need to trek to Mordor on foot anymore...

Aragorn: *beep beep* comin' through! Watch yourself there, mate... oi! Get out the way!! *beeeeeeeep* oops, sorry madam... *beep* Sauron honey, I'm hoooome!"

Lalaith 04-09-2003 02:31 PM

Gandalf would drive Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang.