The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What does your screenname mean? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10980)

ohtatyaro 07-30-2004 04:34 AM

What does your screenname mean?

I've made a search, but I haven't found anything to match it exactly. I mean, there were topics like 'where you youget that nick", but this topic is meant to find out what does your nick mean

Mine is quenya for 'warrior' :)

Rimbaud 07-30-2004 04:48 AM

<-- Pretension.

Fordim Hedgethistle 07-30-2004 05:29 AM

Hip hip huzzah! I've been waiting for someone to start this thread so I could crow about how smart I was in creating my screen name.

"fordim" is an archaic verb that means to obscure by casting into darkness (one fordims the living room couch by turning off the lamp)

"hedgethistle," well, OK isn't so smart as it's just a compound of (obviously) 'hedge' (in the sense of a bordering hedge meant to mark the boundary of a property for protection: cf the hedge between the Shire and the Old Forest) and 'thistle'.

So now that I look at it, I guess it's not that smart at all. :( But my SN means "an obscuring protective hedge composed of thistles" -- it seemed appropriate insofar as it's meant to be a mask behind which the 'real' me (whoever that is) can hide.

paavo 07-30-2004 05:53 AM

<---- My name. :D

Estelyn Telcontar 07-30-2004 06:24 AM

<-- Hope Strider - The first name is the feminized version of Aragorn's Sindarin name, chosen during a time when I needed hope, and the last name the Quenya version of his Ranger name, chosen because I am a walker.

Boromir88 07-30-2004 08:39 AM

Exactly what it is.

Boromir is exactly Boromir, lol, in a mixture of quenya/sindarin it means "jeweled hand," and it also means "faithful jewel." The 88, just stand for nothing to deal with LOTR, it's the year when both my grandparents died.

Elennar Starfire 07-30-2004 09:29 AM

Heh, mine's got the meaning right there in it!

Morsul the Dark 07-30-2004 09:30 AM

Morsul means Dark Wind

Morsul the Dark is the sixth Isatiri(making this up don't search for it) who was corrupted and now wishes for ME Domination

PaleStar 07-30-2004 09:47 AM

Do they have to have a meaning? If so, I suppose my name refers to the light of Earendil's star..

piosenniel 07-30-2004 09:48 AM

<---- Lady of the Holly

Prickly about the edges and the pretty red berries are mildly toxic ;)

Morsul the Dark 07-30-2004 09:49 AM

Doesn't have to but it is fun to make believe :p that's what this site is about FUN! :D

Sapphire_Flame 07-30-2004 10:18 AM

Sapphire because I have a sapphire ring my dad gave me. Flame because I'm a pyro. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmili.../firedevil.gif

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~

Imladris 07-30-2004 12:55 PM

Imlad is the Elvish word for a valley or dell, and ris in this context means 'ravine', though it comes from a root-word meaning 'cut', referring to the deep, narrow nature of the valley. Tolkien uses the more picturesque old word 'riven' in his English translation of the name, 'Rivendell'.

Definition courtesy of Encyclopedia of Arda

Heh, I didn't even know it meant that...learn something new every day...

Esgallhugwen 07-30-2004 01:41 PM

If my name were to be actually translated it would have been Lossefalme, but since I found this out today, after the fact that I used the Barrow-Downs name generator and chose the name Esgallhugwen, I have been trying to find what it means.

In the appendix of The Silmarillion it says that esgal means 'screen, hiding' as in Esgalduin the 'hidden river' that ran through Doriath.
wen of course means 'maiden', and I have absolutely no clue as to what hug could mean. Except of course when I joke that it means I am an Elven maiden that hides from hugs.

Saraphim 07-30-2004 01:54 PM

"Saraphim" is a misspelled form of the archaic word "seraphim" which is the plural form of "seraph" meaning "flaming spirit". The word is used to refer to a group of angels.

I named myself this because I was thinking of Feanor, whose name means "fiery spirit". I don't have a particular liking for Feanor, I just thought that was pretty nifty. So here we are.

I think it was Nilpaurion Felagund who said that the misspelling on my name would make the translation into "flemming spirit". This is marginly less nifty, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

Encaitare 07-30-2004 02:47 PM

Encaitare is the Quenya translation of my "real" name, Jamie. (But what's reality, anyway? Such an abstract concept ;) ) It means "One who supplants."

Diamond18 07-30-2004 03:51 PM

Cold Hard B... (if you know the Jet song, you know how it ends)

Diamond, the hardest substance found in nature, was known to the ancient Greeks. They called the gemstone adamas, using the same word they used for any unbreakable or indestructible substance, such as the hardest metal, or for anything unmovable. They spelled the stem of this word adamant-. Later, Latin writers borrowed these Greek words, sometimes spelling them adamant-, adamas and sometimes adimant-, adimas. The spellings adamant-, adamas in time gave us the English noun adamant, meaning "an imaginary stone of great hardness", and the adjective adamant, meaning "firmly fixed or decided". The "i" spellings in Latin were later changed from adimant-, adimas to diamant-, diamas and came to be used only for the gemstone which we now call diamond.

(courtesy of Merriam-Webster)

Though really, it just means that I like Pippin and would marry him if I could. :p

(and 18 was how old I was when I signed up)

the phantom 07-30-2004 04:36 PM

the phantom- it's what my parents named me.

It means "We don't take this parent thing seriously".

The Only Real Estel 07-30-2004 07:42 PM

Hope.
You needn't pay attention to 'The Only Real' bit, it's not meant to be translated The Only Real Hope. I only added that bit on because I messed up my e-mail address when I created Estel, so I couldn't get my password :rolleyes:. I can't say I chose it for the meaning either (though it worked out well), I chose it because it was a name of Aragorn's that I liked-and I had already been using it for 3 or 4 months in the chat room anyway.

Morsul the Dark 07-30-2004 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the phantom
the phantom- it's what my parents named me.

It means "We don't take this parent thing seriously".

:eek:

Boy I hope your joking :)

Elven Hunter 07-30-2004 08:42 PM

well, I think it pretty obvious what my name means. I chose it because if this was ME, I would like to be an elf warrior. I also like hunters when playing video games. I guess thats why.

Elianna 07-30-2004 09:10 PM

means 'star-gift'. Star part is 'eli', gift part is 'anna'. Guess that makes it Quenya...

I actually got the idea from a Star Trek DS9 episode when they were trying to convince Kira that her name was Iliana and that she was Cardasian. This was the only name I've heard that made me think "That's a really pretty name", and I realized that with only a little tweeking, it would be Elvish.

I also like reading name books, and found out that it's a real name in Hebrew meaning "My Lord has answered me." Cool huh?

Lhunardawen 07-30-2004 09:12 PM

I actually thought your name, Elven Hunter, means something else... :)

<-- Maiden of the region of Lhun...and couldn't be more appropriate because I claim to be friends with Gil-galad. I even claim that he was the one who gave me the name. Thanks, Barrowdowns name generator. :)

StarJewel 07-30-2004 09:51 PM

My name, in Quenya, would be "Ellimire". Sadly, both my first and second choices at the time, Miriel or StarMaiden, were already taken. Still, I like StarJewel.

Nilpaurion Felagund 07-30-2004 10:33 PM

Nilpaurion has the elements paur, fist, and -ion, son.
I don't know what Nil means. Although I think it came from -(n)dil, lover of, devoted to.

As for Felagund, well, I needed a surname. Finrod is great - no, wait. He's the greatest. And he has no son. So I pop up. :)

Amarië, it's me! Your son!

I don't have a son.

Great. Thanks a lot, mom.

Fingolfin II 07-30-2004 10:45 PM

<---- My name means 'Finwë, wise Finwë', according to the Shibboleth. The 'II' is because when I joined this forum, I knew that someone would already have taken the name 'Fingolfin'. And I was right ;).

Feanor of the Peredhil 07-30-2004 11:00 PM

Feanor of the Peredhil means straight up "Fiery Spirit of the Half-Elven." Fiery spirit in honor of my fiesty attitude and love of fire, half-Elven because of my love of Nature and desire for pointy ears. ;)

Fea

Diamond18 07-30-2004 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark

[Originally Posted by the phantom
the phantom- it's what my parents named me.]

:eek:

Boy I hope your joking :)

Don't believe a word of it. His name is Philip. See Post #32

Diamond never forgets a secret revealed.

Elven Hunter 07-31-2004 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
I actually thought your name, Elven Hunter, means something else... :)

hmm.. what would that be? If there was another meaning for my name maybe its for targeting elves too.. maybe, close friends of mine who have split personalities saying that they're elves. when they turn around.. Haha! watch out for my arrows :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 07-31-2004 07:29 AM

Indeed, Elven Hunter. Although I realized soon after I saw your name that you were an Elf who likes to hunt, I can't force my imagination away from a very well trained human who creeps around Lothlorien killing Elves. Kind of disturbing, I know...

Lalwendë 07-31-2004 09:01 AM

<--- Means 'laughing maiden' or 'merry maiden'. I chose it because I like a fair bit of mirth and merriment! Instead of using my real life hobbit-style name, I was going to choose something clever based around my name but it was taking far too long to think of anything so I chose this instead, then I could get on with posting! I do wonder if there is an equivalent name for 'impatient maiden'.

Evisse the Blue 07-31-2004 09:28 AM

I like reading about other people's names! But mine is nowhere near that interesting. Evisse means ... absolutely nothing. *gasp* It's a completely made up name of a fictional character from a story one of my friends made up a while ago in response to a challenge. I liked the sound of it so I borrowed it. And the Blue part is a tribute to my dog who's called Blue. I decided to add a colour because the original Evisse from the story was a witch.
I've wanted so many times to change my name since then, having found smarter, prettier and more Tolkien - related names, but alas, it is not possible...

The Perky Ent 07-31-2004 11:54 AM

Oh, I've got a really thought out explanation for this! The , comes from the english word the, meaning the definite article used before singular or plural nouns and noun phrases that denote particular, specified persons of things. Perky, comes from the adjective meaning Having a buoyant or self-confident air. And finally, Ent, comes from the word Ent, meaning a large, life-like tree. When you connect them all, you get The Perky Ent: A self-confident large, life-like tree that is used before singualr or plural nouns!

Ok, seriously now. I chose The Perky Ent, as it is a good name. Not everything in life has meaning. I'm not actually an ent (though I don't admit it often), there is no heroic story of me traveling the seven seas in search of a perfect name. It just happened. Actually, my predicessor was The Hasty Ent, but, when introduced to the magic of sugar, The Perky Ent took over. And I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Isowen 07-31-2004 01:25 PM

Mine just means Isowen, its actually my name in elvish! everyone else's is interesting though (some are fun too, others a little confusing)

Gil-Galad 07-31-2004 01:36 PM

well you should all know what mine means...

'Ereinion' means 'descendant of kings'; 'gil-galad' is 'star of radiance'

InklingElf 07-31-2004 03:05 PM

<---no pun intended/elf hah!

Morgul Queen 07-31-2004 04:33 PM

Queen of Dark Sorcery, chosen during an extremely fangirlish mement when I first joined the LotR fandom.

I much prefer Morgul now, but you can call me Morgy if you want, or Agent Darkling if you want to get my attention for some reason or another.

Oh, and Perky? Ent comes from the Anglo-saxon word meaning 'Giant'.

*grins*

Gil-Galad 07-31-2004 07:49 PM

Morgul Queen could also mean Dead Queen...

Oddwen 07-31-2004 08:27 PM

Odd= well, odd and
Wen= maiden in Elvish.

Rather simple, but I really like it.

Elven Hunter 07-31-2004 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
... I can't force my imagination away from a very well trained human who creeps around Lothlorien killing Elves. Kind of disturbing, I know...

You're right. Actually, when I was deciding on my name, my first choice was Elf Hunter. And that was its meaning, but I thought it would be scary for other people so I changed it to Elven Hunter being on the good side of the elves.