The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Members - Introduce Yourself Here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2941)

Estelyn Telcontar 11-26-2003 03:23 PM

New Members - Introduce Yourself Here

Greetings to all new members! This is the place to introduce yourself and be welcomed by other members. Feel right at home! (The old thread is closed due to its length.)

If you haven't read any information about posting on the Downs yet, please check out the Forum FAQ thread. Should you have questions that aren't answered there, you're welcome to send a PM (private message) to me or to Legolas, moderators of this forum, or to the moderator(s) of the forum on which you'd like to be active.

Linaeve 11-26-2003 08:02 PM

Hallo! I'm new . . . and I see I'm the first to post an introduction- yay! *ahem*

My name is Linaeve, but you can call me Lina. Linaeve supposedly means tree of song in some language or the other, and I'm told Lina means light in Italian. That said, I'm a senior in high school. Don't talk to me about colleges because I WILL slap you . . . or something! I swear, every time someone finds out I'm a senior, the first question out of their mouths is, "Do you know what college you're going to yet?" This craze with colleges is just one of my many pet peeves- I could go on raging about it forever.

Anyway, I'm a converted Tolkien fanatic. I was getting irritated because when the first Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies were due to be released, everyone was comparing the two, and I was convinced that nothing could beat Harry Potter. Well, one of my friends convinced me to read The Hobbit. I ended up devouring the rest of the books in about a week and a half, maybe even less. I'm so glad I found this site!

My other passions include classical music, philosophy, anything I don't know much of, Chinese literature and history, and Judaism. You can find a pretty complete list of my hobbies in my profile. Anyway, this introduction is much longer than I planned it to be! I'm glad you lasted this long, and I'm even happier to be here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 9:04 PM November 26, 2003: Message edited by: Linaeve ]

Amarantha_Daisy 11-26-2003 11:56 PM

Welcome, oh newbie! You're the first one to say hi, I'm the first to respond. *I feel special!*

Quote:

Don't talk to me about colleges because I WILL slap you... or something!
I know how you feel...I'm a junior in high school and people are already asking me about collage. I can't stand it!

Any-woo...Welcome to the 'Downs! You'll love it here, I'm sure. We're all friendly corpses [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Enjoy being dead, and if you have any questions, just ask!

Ainaserkewen 11-27-2003 12:30 PM

Gasp! It never fails. The official welcome line here is "Enjoy being dead" I wonder how often I've said that? Not that it's bad or anything, just interesting how people have come to say it automatically.

Moving along: Hey Lina...welcome to the downs. A converted LOTR fan, eh?(little canadian lingo for you, [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) Me too. But I didn't get into Harry Potter until after I was converted. I have this problem that I get real skeptical about new fads. And when HP came out I just gave it the cold shoulder. I didn't read the books until I got them for christmas(2001) and didn't see the movie until it came out on video(who knows when) However, I hopped onto the LOTR bandwagon almost immediately after seeing the movie. I'm still pretty weary of new fads, but old habits die hard, I suppose.

-Smiles!

Kates Frodo Temp 11-27-2003 03:52 PM

Welcome! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Enjoy being not alive! (See, I didn't say dead, did I?) My, how this site's membership grows! Have a great time.

BlackCaptain 11-27-2003 11:18 PM

Hello, Im BlackCaptain formerly of thetolkienforum.com...

I hope to have some great discussions with the lot of ya!

Feanorian 11-27-2003 11:21 PM

Hello, I too have come from the The Tolkein Forum. I look forward to having some interesting discussions here.

Eolynne the Sad 11-28-2003 09:35 AM

Hello to all. I'm probably one of the elder newcomers, as I have children pondering the dreaded "C" (College) question... I sympathize! Enjoy your youth and remember, your life is a journey. Every day can bring a new joy, a new sorrow, and always new horizons!

Elennar Starfire 11-28-2003 12:19 PM

Quote:

Don't talk to me about colleges because I WILL slap you... or something!
---------------------------------------------
I know how you feel...I'm a junior in high school and people are already asking me about collage. I can't stand it!
I'm a freshman, and I also have been asked that. Give me a year to get used to high school, at least! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] So many people think you need to have your future planned almost from birth, or something like that. Oops, I'm ranting. *stopstopstop!* ok, I will stop now.

Anyway, greetings to all new newbies or old newbies. (did that make sense? ummm...I think not) Enjoy thy deceasedness here at the 'downs! (is 'deceasedness' a word? Well, it is now!) And remember, Chatese is annoying to those who do not chat much and do not understand it. Here you have time to write properly.

[ 1:23 PM November 28, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]

Ainaserkewen 11-28-2003 04:05 PM

Quote:

Enjoy being not alive! (See, I didn't say dead, did I?)
Quote:

Enjoy thy deceasedness here at the 'downs! (is 'deceasedness' a word? Well, it is now!)
You all make me so happy with your imaginations.

Welcome to all, and happy thanksgiving to all Americans. I did the turkey thing weeks ago, but I'll say it anyway.

Nienna, sister of Feanturi 11-29-2003 07:05 AM

Hello, I'm Nienna and I've never been on any discussion forums before EVER so I bet I do something stupid and make a fool of myself....
Phew I'm glad I got that off my chest. I ntorduce myself, hmm. I have been deeply in love with Pippin ever since I read LOTR two years ago. I am still at school (unfortunately) but I don't live in America and so don't know what grade I would be in. I love writing and hope to be an author some day....

ElentariGreenleaf 11-29-2003 08:15 AM

Welcome to the 'downs Nienna! Ah, a Pippin fan. Yes, I guess he is a very likeable character. School is very unfortunate... I still have to go to school. I'm in yr11, so I only have 2 and a half yrs to go, then I'm free! Free I tell u! An author you say? Ah, I shall have to compete with u then if we both get books published ^_- [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Linaeve 11-29-2003 07:05 PM

Quote:

I'm a freshman, and I also have been asked that. Give me a year to get used to high school, at least! So many people think you need to have your future planned almost from birth, or something like that. Oops, I'm ranting. *stopstopstop!* ok, I will stop now.
Well, I don't know if this'll make you feel any better, but my cousin already had a college counselor when she was a freshman! He helped her pick out the right courses to take and everything. And then supposedly there was a Chinese couple that named their son Harvmit, after Harvard and MIT. Now that's crazy!

Anyway, just so's we don't get off topic- welcome to all fellow newbies! And I will say that I do enjoy being dead oh so very much! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Aethelwine 11-30-2003 08:16 AM

Yay! New corpses!

Everybody, enjoy your stay here! You must, 'cause you'll never be leaving... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] *an evil villian kind of laugh can be heard*

Alright, alright! I'll stop!

Nienna, don't worry. Eberybody here's as nice as you can ask from corpses. And we have a whole section for Newcomers! Nobody will laugh at you or anything!
BTW, Pippin is kewl! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Eolynne, wisdom from an elder! I'm sure you'll spark some good discussions in the Books-forum!

BlackCaptain and Feanorian, I'm sure you'll enjoy your endless stay here! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And then there's ofcourse Linaeve. Enjoy your stay here! I hope to see you in some interesting (or plain fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) discussion soon!

Love to ya all,
Aethelwine.

Annalaliath 11-30-2003 04:42 PM

Hi all you newly deads. I am a sophmore or something in college, I am not too sure we don't use too much of that kind of designation. But you will like it once ya get there. By the way chat speak is a nono and you should read the old Novices and newcommers for some good advice. Watch the old people here and see what they are doing and read all the rules before you jump into an RP.

That'll be all.

Feared Half-Elf 12-01-2003 01:24 PM

Nienna, your not the only person who doesn't live in America, not by a long shot!

Technically I'm not a New Corpse, but I've only just found this thread.

I'm in Year 10, for all those in England. I was converted to Lotr when a new girl in my class at school joined our gang and mysteriously liked Legolas. Now I'm into the whole shebang. My friend regrets the day when she let on that she liked him, because now I won't stop talking about Lotr and the BD.
For other hobbies of mine, I've been a fan of archery since I was 11. I've done it several times now and hope to join a club soon. I enjoy Geography, for some strange reason, and I play the Saxaphone. I'm currently Grade 4.

Thats all, Vanya Sulie!

Ainaserkewen 12-01-2003 04:33 PM

Quote:

Nienna, your not the only person who doesn't live in America, not by a long shot!
Well said, Yeah Canada!

I have no idea what kind of schooling everybody is in. I'm just in Grade 11 in high school if that counts. I'm 16 and this is my 12th year in school, K, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.

Quote:

and I play the Saxaphone.
Anybody who plays an instrument or sings or does something musical (even appreciate it) has got my thumbs up.

Quote:

and I've never been on any discussion forums before EVER so I bet I do something stupid and make a fool of myself....
Do not worry about a thing, I was brand new once as well and you pick up very quickly. Happy hunting.

Happy days, and happy hearts...hum a tune today.

Imladris 12-01-2003 10:23 PM

After the first few idiotic posts/topics you write, you soon learn what and what not to do. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I also discovered the search button soon after I joined (strange I never saw it before).

So -- enjoy your fine coffins! Ignore the stench of decaying flesh (it disappears to a vague remembrance of your smelling oragan), amble in the bare bones of things, and remember that becoming a wight is the most pleasantest experience of your dead life!

Imladris

Celegorm 12-02-2003 03:12 PM

Hi, I signed in yesterday, but I visited this Forum before.

I like the quiz' here.

The first time of LOTR in my life was the Bakshi-movie. Since that time I read a lot of Tolkien's work. I'm nearly finished with HoME.

As my name shows, I'm more interested in the Sil. Since someone has "stolen" my favorit name Maglor (wich I use in some other boards), I decided to go down the line. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Oh, and before you make the mistake: I'm female. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

If someone likes to know more about me, feel free to visit my HP.

Anyway, I hope, I don't make to much orthography-mistakes.

And I hope, I'll enjoy this forum and we'll have fun here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ShadowElf 12-02-2003 04:41 PM

Hey, My name is Kevin, ive been a member for a bit but havent talked lately. My friends nicknamed me the "Keeper of Bara-dur" because of my knowledge of Mordor. If u wanna talk about anything in Middle Earth, im me me aim sn is Ninjaishad. See if u kno more than me.

Tar-Alcarin 12-02-2003 08:49 PM

My name is Kevin too acutally. I a, just into Lord of the Rings. I have read the books before the movie came out THANK YOU VERY MUCH, and obvisously like the Kings of Numenore a bit too much. I have known about this site for a while now bu have never joined the forums. Thank the Valar I wasnt King when Numenore sunk below. Stupid Tar-Palantir [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I am Also a freshman at high school but I think there is only one person who knows more than me about LOTR at school. I started to read the books in 6th grade and have been hooked ever since. I, for some reason got into LotR and have never really known why. Now my sister is a "wannabe-ringer" and i will never forgive her.

I wonder if PJ will have the dwarves at Pelennor since the Elves were at Helms Deep.

[ 10:01 PM December 02, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Alcarin ]

Donlammenion 12-03-2003 05:42 AM

hi peeps i've been a way for a while but hope to make a healthy return i'm lee in life but don will do fine in tolkien. it feels good to be back [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Castamir 12-03-2003 07:06 AM

I'm Castamir. I've been interested in Tolkein for 21 years, and have read The lord of the rings 25 times fully, and the sil 18 times fully, as well as all of the others at leastb 10 times. This probabley sounds really sad but i don't care.
I v'e done a family tree, showing the decent from Finwe to Aragorn II. Cheers

Estelyn Telcontar 12-03-2003 08:11 AM

Welcome to all newcomers! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here.

Castamir, you sound like a candidate for the Tolkien Coming of Age Club - it's not a formal group, just a thread for those who have known Tolkien's works 18 years or longer to gather and share their experiences. I'd also like to invite any other newcomers who fit into that category - come on over, pull up a rocking chair and enjoy the fellowship!

Firefoot 12-04-2003 03:23 PM

My name is Firefoot. I have been a LotR freak for almost two years now. I don't like the movie near as much as the book. When I started the Hobbit I had no idea what it was about and by the time I was on the second page I was hooked. I finished LotR in about nine days over spring break.
~Firefoot

Finwe 12-04-2003 05:59 PM

Have a wonderful time being dead Firefoot!

BTW, Firefoot was my favorite horse in LotR, and Eomer was one of my most favorite characters.

Caoimhin 12-05-2003 11:18 AM

Hi everybody!

The name's Caoimhin, or just Caoi for short (or if you're lazy). In case you're wondering what the name means, it is the Irish/Gaelic version of my real name (Kevin). I had a brother who posted here a while back (Barodir, though he never posted much and only did some of the RPG's) who got me interested in the forums, and I just rediscovered the forums as of late.

I've been a LotR fan since the first movie came out (though I did read the Hobbit long before that). Afterwards, I was entralled with Middle Earth, and quickly went to read the Trilogy and anything else I could get my hands on.

I'm definitely looking forward to wasting all my time on the forums now. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Imladris 12-05-2003 01:51 PM

Welcome Caoimhin!

Quote:

I'm definitely looking forward to wasting all my time on the forums now.
Hehe, so true...so true.

Annalaliath 12-05-2003 02:51 PM

Hi FIrefoot and Caoimhin I hope you both enjoy the deadness of this realm.

Welcome and enjoy.

Orominuialwen 12-05-2003 04:10 PM

Quote:

Technically I'm not a New Corpse, but I've only just found this thread.
*blushes* Me too. When I first joined, I was very confused and I don't think I even looked in this section. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] But, by now I've been here more than 6 months and have become a wight. Don't fell bad I'f you're rather lost here- when I first joined, I didn't know how to have an avatar, or quote anybody! Now I'm just fine- although I've still never started a topic (All the good ideas I have hve already been used [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) Enjoy your death one and all! I've never really found anybody on the 'Downs who isn't nice and understanding. To put it bluntly, no one laughs when you make mistakes (and I should know, I've made more than my share!) Have fun! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oromin

Dunraukion 12-07-2003 06:42 PM

Hey all! I'm new to this forum.. be nice.. Or i will kill you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm Naz.. From Norway.. Or if it's middle earth that count's i would say i would fit perfectly into.. Rohan.. I am a great Horse rider! As good as they come norwegian Style.. Uhm.. What more is there to say? I am no wannabe Elf person.. I am a true human.. Really.. Legolas is cool and all but he is so weak!! In hand-to-hand combat.. without swords he would stink! but Boromir, Aragorn, Faramir, Eomer and all the other cool humans in LotR (I will not mention any because i am tired and i want to sleep. And yes i have read the books!! Twice.. Once in each language [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) they are big strong guys and they are so much cooler! Maybe they don't live that long but hanging around the same girl for 4-5000 years will make you sick of her! Soo.. What more is there to say.. I play basketball! Which is fun.. Norway's best team.. Not lost a game in the series for like.. 5-6 years straight.. I'm 16 years old.. Uhm.. well.. Yeah..

Dunraukion

Ascavása 12-08-2003 11:42 AM

Hello all! I am Ascavása. I come from Combe. Both my parents were killed by orcs went they came charging through our village. I ran as far as I could. And now, I'm on my way to Breredon.

Actually, I am writing a book about all this. hehehe.. Wish me luck!

Oroaranion 12-08-2003 02:55 PM

im new. i think i'm in love with the eorlingas, but there you go. im off to read the books now. laterz all

Rilwen Gamgee 12-08-2003 06:02 PM

Yes! More new, freshly dead bodies! Enjoy thy death and enjoy hanging out with the rest of us "LotR" and Tolkien fans! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Good luck with your book, Ascavása!

Annalaliath 12-09-2003 09:42 AM

Hi yall, Welcome. Have fun here, we are all dead! All dead! Oh yeah, I am a New mexico person, that is part of the US for those who don't know. But anyway, just thaught I would Welcome the Newly Deads.

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar 12-09-2003 08:12 PM

Hello, I am Tuor Turambar. Dont ask me why, i think i mistyped somewhere and it has stuck with me. Anyway, I am new here, but I have known about this site for a while. Unfortunately, I was not aware there was a forum.
And im in middle scool, for those of you who care. Nothing more shall you learn. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:14 PM December 09, 2003: Message edited by: Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar ]

Nilia 12-10-2003 05:15 PM

Hi, I'm Nilia. I am a freshman in high school. I have been to this site a lot, but I didn't realize that there were message boards. I read the Trilogy in seventh grade and was immediately hooked. And that's about it.

lord_of_rohan2003 12-10-2003 06:10 PM

Hi im a Lord of Rohan and im a alch....oh sorry I thought I was at another message board [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well lets see here,I have only been a Tolkien fan for a short time.After I saw the first movie I thought"hey this is pretty cool"So I ran out a few days latter and bought all 3 books,and ever since then I have been a fan of both books and movies.

Anyway that's me saying hi and I hope there isin't to many tuff newbie initiations around here.Till then.....

Aredhel Ar-Feiniel 12-11-2003 12:18 AM

Hey, IM Aredhel Ar-Feiniel, and im VERY surprised that my name was not taken as there seem to be a LOT of members here. Anyway, I got really into LOTR after the first movie came out. (please dont hurt me! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )read the books and have been reading them ever since. Its kinda weird becuase I iwll come across poeple who are talking about the movie and i will be correcting them on what the hell they are saying, it gets me really annoyed. Anyone else had that problem?

Anyway, my faves in LOTR are, Aredhel (of course) Fëanor, Elrond, Legolas, Théodred, Éomer, Glorfindel, Éowyn and Boromir, oh! oh! and Grima, (just because he is creepy)

I like Literature, concerts and i know a LOT about actors/actresses/movies, some may say its obsessive to check the entertainment news websites twice a day, but i dont care. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Annalaliath 12-11-2003 12:59 PM

Wow! Much more fresh m... I mean Newly Deads. Have fun yall, and enjoy being dead.