The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Don't you wish you were a Hobbit? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3060)

Melkor89 12-21-2003 05:50 PM

Don't you wish you were a Hobbit?

Don't you wish you were a Hobbit? I mean think about it. They live the most simple, happy lives. THey just plain enjoy living. They are sheltered and unknowledgable about all the evils of the world. THey live carefree. The world would be a better place if We were all a bit like the Shirefolk. What do you think?

The Perky Ent 12-21-2003 07:05 PM

There is no action. It would be nice but boring! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Rasputin 12-21-2003 07:40 PM

god no! they have no electricity and i would absolutly hate to think what a hobbit bathroom looks like [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Lyta_Underhill 12-21-2003 07:41 PM

Quote:

Don't you wish you were a Hobbit?
If I were a hobbit, I'd want to know a few Elves or seek the Ents or something like that, but I prefer the quiet life to constant conflict, so, yes, a Hobbit's life would be great! But I couldn't live without an Art to pursue or without the possibility of thoughts outside the realm in which I would live... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh yes, and I'd like to be independently wealthy! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:48 PM December 21, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]

Rasputin 12-21-2003 07:51 PM

Quote:

But I couldn't live without an Art to pursue or without the possibility of thoughts outside the realm in which I would live...

well you could be like that bilbo baggins. i hear he's cracked he is.

Gorwingel 12-21-2003 07:57 PM

Would I like to be a hobbit? *thinks* Well I don't know, I think it would personally be just a little too boring of a life for me. I am a traveler, I love to go everywhere and anywhere, and I get really bored when I have to spend a long time in the same place. I think I would rather be what I am, a human. But I do like their homes (or holes) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Laitoste 12-21-2003 08:33 PM

I've always thought that I was most like a hobbit-but more like Bilbo or Frodo. I wouldn't mind being one!

Feredir 12-22-2003 03:07 AM

I would difinately like to be a hobbit. Just plain and simple life in the Shire, where the discussions are about pipe weed and relations. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Fíriel of Ao Tea Roa 12-22-2003 04:38 AM

I find it difficult enough to fit into man´s armour. And all the arrows would be far too long to be drawn with Hobbit´s arm length. Nah, Hobbits are better off with me defending them as I am.

Though I wouldn´t mind curly hair.

Phervasaion 12-22-2003 07:15 AM

It would be good not having a care in the world and living my life hapily. But like other people have said it may get slightly boring and I would want more adventure.

dragoneyes 12-22-2003 08:06 AM

A hobbit's life boring? Someone looking at our lives could easily say that. The last exciting thing that I did was hunting nearly six weeks ago and hobbits could do that. I'd love to be a hobbit, I love physical work and cooking and running around and bare feet and I really don't see how a hobbit's life could be any more boring than mine. I doubt even the average Gondorian had a very exciting life outside of the War of the Ring.

Melkor89 12-22-2003 11:38 AM

thaks for all your interesting and deep answers..........keep em coming y'all

lord_of_rohan2003 12-22-2003 11:44 AM

Sure why not?If there is one major thing I would miss from the real world,it would be my air conditioner during those hot scorching summer months(being out in the heat to long makes me sick as a dog)But hey I rarely watch t.v as it is,noone else would have computers so I wouldn't need one,I preffer to cook from scratch anyway so I dont care about not having a microwave,I hate wearing shoes,having no car would be a bummer but walking is good exercise especially if your going to have the diet of a hobbit.So hey where do I sign up at?

Iris Alantiel 12-22-2003 12:25 PM

I admit it - I've actually always wished I was a hobbit. It would be the perfect life for me. Probably about 95% of the things that give me stress in my life would be completely eliminated, and I could spend my time doing all the things that I never have time to do to relax, like baking pies and growing flowers. I wouldn't find it hard to live without cars and computers and phones - well, maybe without phones, at least at first, but I would get used to it, and then I'd be a perfect hobbit. I'm already shorter than everybody else anyway, and if I was a hobbit, at least I would be living in a hobbit sized world instead of in this world where everything and everyone is too tall for me! And hobbits seem like generally a friendly kind of folk, more or less, which I think would be quite wonderful.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. If anyone's looking for me, I'll be in the Shire.

Enedbelethiel 12-25-2003 03:35 AM

I would normally agree and say that I would be all for being a hobbit, but I think I'm pretty partial to elves. I was always under the impression that Tolkien described the elves as being able to experience the most wonderful joy - more so than any other creature. But leading a hobbit's life definitely sounds good to me, too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Shire Flower 12-27-2003 03:35 AM

I probably would love being a hobbit. I like the sense of community and tons of relatives and all the eating, dancing and parties. Though I have been sort of spoiled by modern conveniences, if I had been born in the Shire, those things wouldn't bother me because I wouldn't know of their existance. Since life would be more simple, I probably would have less worries. And who needs adventure when you've got lots of juicy local gossip (like that mad Baggins for instance)?

However, if I were a hobbit, I would like to be the average height for a hobbit. Being a short hobbit would be, well, really, really strange. It would be like being half a halfling. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Lathriel 12-27-2003 08:01 PM

Don't need to ask me again. Of course I do. I have wanted to be hobbit ever since i first read the Hobbit. Their life is so simple and they don't have to do Algebra!or all that math crap. Well maybe stuff like 12 +36.
Yep gonna be a hobbit in my next life! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Firefoot 12-27-2003 08:50 PM

You bet I would like to be a hobbit! That would be so cool. Shire Flower, I agree with you 100%. Half a halfling, lol. Life would be simple and - barefeet all the way! Yep, hobbit's life is the life for me.

Knight of Gondor 12-27-2003 10:06 PM

Afraid not. I'd not be quite as content just living out a peaceful life. It's not in my nature to be content with my own doings and not be involved with the world's. Plus, I'd hate being short! Nay, my friend, I would say I'm suited best to be just what I said, a Knight of Gondor. Although I don't like that clunky-looking armor they wear. I'd prefer the clothes such as Boromir wore...nice, drapy, with a chain mail shirt underneath for protection. However, I am in love with Aragorn's two swords more than Boromir's, which I think is somewhat short. I like the two-handed ones best.

But my apologies, this isn't about Knights. In answer, no. I would prefer to live and defend the world of men. And maybe defend the world of hobbits as well!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:23 AM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Knight of Gondor ]

Niluial 12-28-2003 05:00 AM

I would love to be a hobbit and lead a straightforward life. No one cares what you look like, you can be as fat as you wish meaning eating as much as hobbits do. I would give up my life for a hobbit life any day. A hobbit life might be boring but not as boring as our lives. A hobbit can go on picnics, fishing, cook, eat, sleep and smoke pipes all day… a faultless life. I would love to be a Took though, the more adventurous type. They drink pints all the time, so I bet they are tipsy half there lives (nothing wrong with that!). Having a hobbits life would be ideal!

~Niluial

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:02 AM December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]

One of the Nine 12-29-2003 03:56 PM

If I could be a hobbit, and choose who I could be, I would definitely be Frodo! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It would be cool to go to Mordor. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Just kidding...

Kalimac 12-29-2003 04:57 PM

It would probably be great fun until an ear infection or burst appendix came along. Don't think I'd trade this life for that, though.

elenquesse 12-29-2003 05:47 PM

I think being a hobbit would be okay for a while, but I'm more the Bilbo type, actually interested in the world around me. I love books, and I do enjoy more intelligent thought than how this year's crop is growing. Although...I wouldn't mind not having to wear socks or shoes anywhere. And eating six meals a day.

Rilwen Gamgee 12-29-2003 08:16 PM

Quote:

I could spend my time doing all the things that I never have time to do to relax, like baking pies and growing flowers.
Yes, otherwise, I'd have cookies in the oven and a bright, blooming garden right now...

Hehe! I would love to be a Hobbit! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It has been one of my dreams since I became a Ringie. I could sit around, take a walk, not care about the troubles of the world, and appreciate the simple life. The only doubt is about medical care, but otherwise, yo-ho, yo-ho, a Hobbit's life for me! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Edit: Wait! Without computers I woudn't be able to come here! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:55 PM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]

Trippo The Hippo 12-29-2003 08:19 PM

I wouldn't trade this life for that of a hobbit. But of all the lives in ME I would pick the hobbit.

Angadraug 12-30-2003 11:35 PM

I'd definitly love to be a hobbit. I can easily go without electricity, t.v., phones, all that good stuff. The hobbits style of living looks like so much fun. And if the shire looked anything like it did in the movies how could you not want to be a hobbit. I mean look at the place, it was beautiful. Also I think it would be really cool to have a house that is built into a hill.

Olorin_TLA 12-31-2003 10:02 AM

Just need an apple-gun to get rid of Sandyman, then I'll be sorted. *locksandloads*

Emma Woodhouse 12-31-2003 10:25 AM

No way. They don´t have computers. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously? Hmm, I´m not really the person for quiet country life. Being a hobbit would be fun for awhile, I think I´d get bored quickly. I´d much rather live in Minas Tirth, or Edoras, a large city with stuff happening, and interesting people from everywhere coming along. I´m a curious person, and a bunch of people who are only interested in Mr Bracegirdle´s new cow would probably frustrate me quickly. But then, i can´t be sure of a hobbit life untill I´ve tried it out...so if anyone of you has booked a tour of the Shire, email me, okay? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

peonydeepdelver 12-31-2003 10:25 AM

I'd love it!

Admit it; the round doors and windows are just irresistible. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Kalimac 12-31-2003 03:31 PM

I'd say that since being a hobbit implies that you're born as a hobbit, electricity and stuff probably shouldn't factor into it so much - you would never have had them, and so wouldn't miss them. And in a way, you'd have the most comfortable standard of living in ME - I don't see even most Gondorians as possessing luxuries like tea-kettles [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. And you'd probably be a bit of a homebody by nature, unless of course you were a Took, and then you'd have the privilege of being well-off and well-placed enough that you'd have the time (and the money!) to go off on travels. So you'd be pretty well set.

I still don't think I'd do it, though - hobbits are long-lived in general, but their medicine still seems a touch too rudimentary. Granted, you don't miss things like pills and x-rays if you've never experienced them, but still...being ill and basically having to trust to nature for the cure is not at all fun.