The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What's their best line? What's their worst line? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9230)

Firondoiel 08-30-2002 08:44 AM

What's their best line? What's their worst line?

Okay, here's what you do. I am going to randomly pick a character from the FOTR movie and you put down what think is his/her best and worst line. If someone has already put down the line you thought of post a reply voting for that line. The lines that gets the most votes within a week to 2 weeks time (depending on how fast people respond to this)will be declared as the official best line and the official worst line. <P>Rule 1. You can put down up to three lines for the character's best or worst line.<BR>Rule 2. You don't have to put down a best and worst line. <BR>Rule 3. You can only vote once.<BR>Rule 4. The line has to be from the movie.<P>Okay, without further ado, the first charater is Aragorn. In my mind his best line is... <BR>"If by my life or death I can protect you, I will."<BR>Worst line...<BR>"The same blood flows in my veins, the sam weakness."

piosenniel 08-30-2002 08:59 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Worst line...<BR>"The same blood flows in my veins, the same weakness."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am curious - how did you come to the choice of this line for his worst one?

Eomer of the Rohirrim 08-30-2002 09:41 AM

I do enjoy it when he says "Indeed!"<P>But the best line could be "Be at peace, Son Of Gondor"<P>His worst line is unquestionably "Let's hunt some Orc!"<P>I defy you to find a worse line.

Elenna 08-30-2002 11:05 AM

Legolas.<P>Best line: "Goblins!"<P>Worst line: "This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn".<P>I just think that sounds really, really awkward. Like PJ just thought "I have to fit Strider's real name in here somewhere, and Orlie is always complaining about not having enough lines..."<P>And I love the line about goblins. It just sounds good.

Firondoiel 08-30-2002 11:43 AM

Piosenniel, the way a came to that line for his worst was because that line gets on my nerves every time I watch the movie!!! And we're not doing Legolas right now Elenna, we're doing Aragorn. We'll do Legolas next.

Jeli Baggins 08-30-2002 11:53 AM

good thing i read that u were doin Aragorn 1st! i was about to put my reply on Frodo! well i saved it 4 when u do him. <P>But about Aragorn, i think his best line is also... "Be at peace, son of Gondor." and i was just wondering, i read on another post sumwhere else how everyone dislikes the line "Let's hunt some orc." i guess i'll choose that 2 as his worst line. <P>(The reason i don't dislike it as much was because in the theater, my friend, who now lives in CA shouted out "MMMMMMMMM!!!! PORK!!!!" because she thought he said "let's go hunt some pork"!) lolol

piosenniel 08-30-2002 12:09 PM

<B>Firondoiel</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Piosenniel, the way a came to that line for his worst was because that line gets on my nerves every time I watch the movie!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>One last question and I promise to let this inquiry drop - Is it because it seems to make Aragorn appear weak that you dislike this line so much?<P>BTW - Welcome to the Downs!

Arwen Imladris 08-30-2002 02:50 PM

Best:<BR>Strider: Not nearly frightened enough. I know what hunts you.<BR>Because he is so smart and scary!<P>Worst<BR>Let's hunt some orc! <BR>Self explanitory, well maybe not. It is so out of character and just does not seem to fit.

Kettle of fish 08-31-2002 12:46 AM

I also vote for "Let's hunt some orc" as worst line. But I think it was because of the delivery.

Dimaldaeon 08-31-2002 03:11 AM

Best line<BR>Boromir: They have a cave troll!!! <P>Worst line<BR>Gimli: I'll be dead before i see the ring in the hands of an elf!!<BR>Dumb move being in Rivendell at the time, look closely the guy on Lregolas' left. Looks like he is about to lunge at Gimli.

Firondoiel 08-31-2002 12:55 PM

I don't like that line because it changes Aragorn's character from the book.

dragongirlG 08-31-2002 03:47 PM

Aragorn<BR>Best line: "I would have followed you into the very heart of Mordor." (Sorry for the inexact quoting)<P>Worst line: "Let us hunt some Orc."

Firondoiel 08-31-2002 04:10 PM

So far "Be at peace, Son of Gondor." is in the lead for best line and "Let's hunt some orc." is in the lead for worst line. I think the "winners" will be declared either Monday, Sept. 2nd. ot Tuesday, Sept. 3rd.

Eruwen 08-31-2002 04:58 PM

Best Line: <BR>"I would have gone with you to the end. Into the very fires of Mordor."<P>Worst Line:<BR>"Let's hunt some orc!"

gayare'dion 08-31-2002 07:41 PM

aragorn's best line: "i do not know what strength is in my blood , but i swear to you, i will not let the white city fall"

Eomer of the Rohirrim 09-01-2002 07:15 AM

The delivery? Look, the Terminator would say "Lets hunt some Orc"<P>Aragorn Son of Arathorn, Elessar, True King of Gondor and Arnor, would not. It's so far out of character it's unreal.

Firondoiel 09-06-2002 03:48 PM

Okay the worst line was "Let's hunt some orc." and there was a tie for best line. "I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor." and "Be at peace, Son of Gondor". The next character is <B>Legolas</B>.

gayare'dion 09-06-2002 08:14 PM

legolas : "this is no mere ranger, he is aragorn son of arathorn"

Jeli Baggins 09-06-2002 09:02 PM

ok 4 Legolas i choose.... <BR>*best line(s)* <BR> 1) "This is no mere ranger. He is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and you own him your alligence." <BR> 2) "There is a fell voice on the air."<BR> 3) "You mean not to follow them."<P>*worst lines* dang! i seriously can't find his worst line. i even skimmed though the script! sry!

Rose Cotton 09-06-2002 09:30 PM

I think Aragon's best lines where when he was in Bree.<P>And what's with everyone? I thought Aragorn's last line was great. "Let's hunt some orc!" It just get's your spirits up. I'm gonna stand against the crowd and say the Aragorn's best line is "Let's hunt some orc!"<P><BR>Oh, I just noticed. We're doing Legolas. <P>Best line: I vote for "Fell voice on the air" just cause it's fun watching him walk on the snow.

Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas 09-06-2002 10:33 PM

Legolas' best line? Well, in My humble opinion, its,<P>"((I forgot the first part)) Gandalf...What did they say about him? I have no the heart to tell you, for Me the greife is still to near"<P>I aploigze if I got some of it wrong and I deffently hit Myself over the head with an Orc for forgetting the first part.<P>Worst line?<BR>ORCS!<P>Thats just My opinion though...

Orodoliel 09-07-2002 03:07 AM

legolas:<P>Best: You mean not to follow them <P>Worst: There is a fell voice in the air <P>Sorry if I quoted them slightly wrong!

Maltaharma 09-07-2002 10:43 AM

I personally think Aragorn's best line is when he says "I will not let the white city fall!" Worst line: when they're at the council of Elrond and he's says, "...it has no other master!" Did anyone else noticed how wierd his voice sounded right then? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Never trust an elf." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eomer of the Rohirrim 09-07-2002 01:41 PM

Legolas's "Orcs" and "Goblins" don't really count for me because they are only one word each. Plus, they're kind of funny....<P>Legolas's best line is "I have not the heart to tell you, for me the grief is still too near"<P>And he doesn't really have many lines does he? So I'll say "Orcs" because he screws his face up as he says it and it's sort of bad.

Lady_Báin 09-07-2002 07:53 PM

best for legolas "you mean no to follow him"<P>or "lament of gandalf"..."I have not the heart to tell you for the grief is still to near" but i was sort of paraphrasing.<BR> <BR>worst<BR>"(some obscure word?) from dunland!"<P>or "the horn of gondor" i don't know he jst sort of roles his "r"s funnily, sounds sort of inconsistent.

Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas 09-07-2002 08:50 PM

I do the same with My " R "s...Whats that called???

gayare'dion 09-07-2002 09:24 PM

i like how aragorns voice, sounds, especially at the council of elrond. theirs something about it thats so cool

Rose Cotton 09-08-2002 10:11 AM

Aragorn always sounds and acts like nothing bads going on. Especially in Bree. Like: Oh ya Sauron's taking over, but I'm a Ranger, I can deal.<P>I still say his best line is "Let's hunt some Orc"

Arathiriel 09-08-2002 10:20 AM

I actually liked Aragorn's line of "Let's hunt some orc!"

Thriwien 09-10-2002 03:21 AM

The best: "Thou shalt not pass!!!!"<BR>by: Gandalf

Firondoiel 09-10-2002 02:31 PM

Okay in my opinion on Legolas...<BR>Best:"A lament for Gandalf...I have not the heart to tell you, for me the grief is still too near."<BR>Worst: "Orcs"

Anastasia 09-11-2002 11:07 AM

OK, I know that 30 people are gonna kick me when I say this... But I dont really think "lets go hunt some orc" was the worst line...<BR>I just crack up when I hear him say it, but I don't think its bad...<BR>Besides, it was in the book wasnt it?<P>Best:"<I>The world is changing. I feel it in the water, I feel it in the air...</I>" or words to that effect. So cool and mysterious.<BR>Worst:<BR>Arwen: Do you remember when we first met?<BR>Aragon: I thought I was in a dream.<BR>Tacky or what?

Anastasia 09-11-2002 11:19 AM

Maybe you should do a funniest line as well?<BR>Because there are a lot of funny lines in FOTR...<BR>Just a suggestion.

Dimaldaeon 09-11-2002 02:24 PM

I really hate this<BR>Sam: What are you doin' those wraiths are still out there?<BR>Damn that sounds way to american aren't the Hobbits meant to be miniature Brits.<P>I also think that Legolas' lines are some of the worst in the movie. <BR>Some crazy fan-girl is going to try to kill me now, right.<P>Aragorn and Boromir have the best lines. But Aragorn's accent keeps changing.<p>[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Dimaldaeon ]

Firondoiel 09-11-2002 02:30 PM

Anastasia, thank you for the suggestion but there already is a place were you can post the funniest lines.

Mattius 09-11-2002 04:35 PM

so what character are we on to now then?

Firondoiel 09-12-2002 01:11 PM

Results for Legolas...<P>Best: I have not the heart to tell you, for me the grief is still too near.<P>Worst: Orcs!<P>Okay, the next character is <B>Gandalf</B>.

Rose Cotton 09-12-2002 02:16 PM

Hm....Gandalf.<P>Best line:YOU SHALL NOT PASS! <P>I'll have to think of a worst line.

Kithrčna Greenarrow Legolas 09-12-2002 08:08 PM

Puuurrrrsonally, I like "Go you fools!"<BR>Its the selflessness thats put into them and motavates him to say it that realy gets Me...Of corse, I am a but lunny.<BR>Or "We must figure out what to do with the time thats given to us" Speech...Too bad Ic ant remember it to quote it! <P>*Dose a football tackle on Dimaldaeon and tosses her over the fence* Sorry, don't take it personally. Its born-reflex to do that kinda stuff to people who insult <B>L</B>egolas...

elengil 09-12-2002 08:37 PM

I dont remember who asked but no, "lets hunt some orc" is not in the book.. The line in the book reads "I will follow the orcs." in answer to the debate of whether to follow Frodo and Sam and thereby leave Merry and Pip to torment and death, or to follow the Orcs, which we all know he decides the fate of the ring bearer was no longer in his hands.<P>I was rather miffed at the lines that were seemingly needlessly changed.<P>Oh and for whoever asked about the r's it's called "rolling your r's" and it's apparently the correct pronunciation for many of the languages of Middle-Earth. <P>all in all I cast my vote as "lets hunt some orc" as among the worst lines of the movie. I think there were too many lines that seemed very out of character for the speaker.