The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Members - Introduce Yourself Here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2941)

Gil-Galad 07-24-2004 03:47 PM

meh...i guess the dead make good fighters, don't disobey commands, don't run away from dragons and they don't stop fighting after a random body part falls off

Thorongil 07-24-2004 03:48 PM

Ok, Morgy, just a question: What's PPC?

There you have it Gil-Galad. Death isn't so bad after all is it? :p

Gil-Galad 07-24-2004 03:51 PM

yeah that last part comes in handy i guess... body projectiles!!!

Morgul Queen 07-24-2004 04:12 PM

The PPC. *settles down in chair for a long explaination* All of you who already know this, just pass this post by.

I suppose that you know of Fanfiction? *sees nods and continues* Well, there's such thing as Bad!Fic. Really Bad!Fic. Like Celebrian...*shudders*

Anyway, you know of the dreaded Mary-sue, right? The 'perfect' girl who comes into a story and makes all the canon characters fall in love with her.

Quote:

'Oh, Legolas,' Princess SugarPlumFairy of Random Flying Forest sighed. 'Willest thou lovest me forever?'
You know the type. They're horrible and will send canon characters out of character too.

Quote:

Legolas smiled bashfully. 'Foreverest my love. I willest lovest thou forever.'
Occassionally they use bad english like the bits above.

The PPC hunts them down, kills them and restores the plot. PPC stands for Protectors of the Plot Continuum. Several other departments deal with different offenses, bad geography, acts of violence, and my department deals with Silmarillion canon violations.

That's the PPC explained. If you want to find out more, go here: PPC Site

Thorongil 07-24-2004 07:18 PM

Seems like you're doing a most needed job. Keep up the good work!

Lady Gamgee 07-25-2004 07:15 PM

Hi. I'm new, just joined today. Like everyone here, I'm a huge LOTR fan ... SamWise being my fav. character. I've watched the movies & am in the process of reading the books. Started with "The Hobbit", and am now in the "Two Towers" book. Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself & I look forward to hangin' around the boards & talking with y'all! Have a good one! :cool:

Gil-Galad 07-25-2004 07:31 PM

welcome to the downs...for a good look at being dead read my sig

ninlaith 07-25-2004 07:56 PM

Welcome to the Barrowdowns Lady Gamgee.

Everdawn 07-26-2004 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Gamgee
Hi. I'm new, just joined today. Like everyone here, I'm a huge LOTR fan ... SamWise being my fav. character. I've watched the movies & am in the process of reading the books. Started with "The Hobbit", and am now in the "Two Towers" book. Anyhow, just wanted to introduce myself & I look forward to hangin' around the boards & talking with y'all! Have a good one! :cool:

Welcome, and have fun decomposing with the rest of us wayward souls!

Lady Gamgee 07-27-2004 11:38 AM

Thank you all for a warm welcome. I'm really enjoying it here so far :D

Marien 07-27-2004 01:16 PM

i'm new

hey i'm new and have been a fan of lotr since i was like 6. i'm thirteen now and really confused and yah. my fav is legolas and aragorn cause their pretty cool

Gil-Galad 07-27-2004 02:08 PM

Welcome Marien and Lady Gamgee...i'm sure you'll enjoy being dead, alot of bonuses to it! (look below in italics)

Bekah 07-28-2004 02:24 AM

Quote:

Bekah: Welcome back. I hope it hasn't been anything bad that's kept you away. If so, I'm very sorry, and if not, what have you been waiting for?
Oh, nothing terrible. I'm just really busy with school and everything else.

Morgy asked a question about PMs which is probably going to be asked again, so I'll answer it here.

Down at the bottom right-hand corner of the PM, there are two boxes: forward (which is bigger), and quote. Click on quote; if you don't want to keep the quote of the PM you're replying too, just delete it.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, a hugely warm welcome to everyone new.

Oh, and I'm going to try to get Alk to put up my pirate pic as well in the Downs Photo Gallery...

Congratulations, Morgy. PPCing is a noble career in the fanfiction world. :D

Lots of love to everybody,

~ Elentari II

Nuindacilien 07-28-2004 09:38 PM

Hello all! I'm new here. I have a question. How do you get the avatars to download? I tried putting one in, but it said the URL wasn't right, even though it was a jpeg.
I usually hang around at tolkienonline, but this place looked fun, too, so I decided to give it a try. :D
Anyway, I'll probably be back sometime tomorrow. Namarië!

~Nuinda

Alakfaithien 07-28-2004 10:49 PM

Hello!

Hello I'm new here, I just joined this afternoon, but I don't know how to work or do anything on here so if someone could tell me or somthing it would be GREAT!!! If you want to know more about me or anything, don't be shy, just ask! :rolleyes:
Namarie
~Alakfaithien~

ninlaith 07-29-2004 01:04 PM

That's a pretty neat name Alakfaithien. Welcome to the Barrowdowns! :D

Nuindacilien 07-29-2004 10:01 PM

?????

Can anyone help me, or are you just ignoring me? :confused: :( I really have no idea what I'm doing here.

~Nuinda

Alakfaithien 07-30-2004 12:10 AM

Thank you Linlaith. I tried to change it to Lalaithamin, ( My Laughter ) but I found out that I can't. Kind of a uh-duh thing, but who knows!

Alakfaithien 07-30-2004 12:11 AM

Sorry I meant Ninlaith! :p

Thorongil 07-30-2004 12:16 AM

Well, Nuindacilien, what you're doing here is probably discuss Tolkien's works, enter some quiz & quote games or play an RPG. That's what we do here. Welcome to the Downs and have fun.

Imladris 07-30-2004 12:30 AM

I think what Nuindacilien was asking was how to change the avatar judging from this post:

Quote:

Hello all! I'm new here. I have a question. How do you get the avatars to download? I tried putting one in, but it said the URL wasn't right, even though it was a jpeg.
If it was a JPEG then it wasn't a true URL. There is an option that says to "Use Custom Avatar." Click that and then upload it in the bottom space. The space that says to upload avatar. It won't have the "http://" thing there either.

A JPEG is an image shared on your computer, not an image on the web.

Cheers
Imladris

Thorongil 07-30-2004 12:37 AM

That's weird. How can she have written two posts, when her post count says 1? That tricked me.

ninlaith 07-30-2004 08:53 AM

It's ok Alakfaithien, I forgive you. Welcome to all newcomers.

Bungo Baggins 07-30-2004 02:32 PM

Hello all! I was looking at different LOTR forums and I think this one seems to be the coziest in my opinion.
-Bungo

Child of the 7th Age 07-30-2004 02:48 PM

Bungo,

Welcome to the Downs! We hope you enjoy your stay here. We are indeed the deadest and the cosiest sight on the net.

If you enjoy RPGs, come down and introduce yourself in character in the Green Dragon Inn, which is in the Shire, and take a look at the Red Book of Westmarch.

Hope to see you arrive.

Cami Goodchild (Shire Mod)/Child of the 7th Age

Gil-Galad 07-30-2004 11:25 PM

Welcome all and come over to the Quiz Room!...

Morgul Queen 07-31-2004 02:27 AM

Oh, I just realised something...My LO (Lust Object *winks*)...or rather, LO's...actually, I'll just put my main ones down, shall I?

OK, My (main) LO's are Denethor (of Gondor, not the one from the First Age), Feanor, Celebrimbor, Elu, Celeborn, Thranduil and Elrond.

Yes. There are actually many, many more than that, but as has been pointed out frequently, I am fickle. The above are the ones that I stick to no matter what.

Should probably add Figwit to that as well....

wilwarin538 07-31-2004 12:31 PM

Welcome all newly dead. Hope you enjoy the Downs!!!

~Wilwa~

Gil-Galad 07-31-2004 01:19 PM

nice new pic Wilwa by the way...mine of course is original

Isowen 07-31-2004 01:34 PM

hey. Im Isowen (which is my name in elvish) and I've been on this site for ages but I've just joined the whole forum thingy. It looks like lotsa fun! I love everything to do with lotr, but particularly elves, as I think they're so interesting and magical and I think Galadriel is the most interesting elf i've ever heard of!

Gil-Galad 07-31-2004 01:37 PM

Welcome to the downs!!!

(for a idea of being dead read my sig in italics...nobody does anyway)

InklingElf 07-31-2004 02:56 PM

Welcome dearies!Rest assured that even if the Downs is full of weird conspicuous weirdos, Tolkienologists etc. etc. I'm sure you'll find it quite homey in here :D

Bekah 07-31-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InklingElf
Welcome dearies!Rest assured that even if the Downs is full of weird conspicuous weirdos, Tolkienologists etc. etc. I'm sure you'll find it quite homey in here :D

What she said. ;)

Welcome everyone. If your question still wasn't asked satisfactorily, Nuindacilien, ask one of the mods, like Estelyn Telcontar. It probably was, because Immy usually knows what she's doing, but just in case.

Or you could try downloading the jpg to the net. I use www.villagephotos.com, but that's because I don't know anywhere better.

Cheers,

~ Elentari II

Nuindacilien 07-31-2004 04:08 PM

Thank you Immy and Elentari. I tried again, and it didn't work, so I'm just giving up. I can live without an avatar. It's not the end of the world. :rolleyes:
Elentari, I tried the villagephotos thing, too, but it's not working yet either. I think my connection is slow (I still have dial-up).\
Thorongil: I was wondering the same thing. I don't know why it only shows that I've posted once. Maybe it will change after I post this.
Well, I'm off to try the avatar thing again!

~Nuinda

Marien 07-31-2004 05:55 PM

hi

my name is jesse, i'm new here and i really hate introducing myself. i have know idea what to say

okay that is good enough for me

Gil-Galad 07-31-2004 07:47 PM

just pretend its a AA meeting... "Hi my name is Gil-Galad and i've been an acholholic eversince my friend Celebrimbor got messed up and let Sauron into his land..."

Nuindacilien 08-01-2004 09:58 PM

Elentari: Thank you, I think I'll try that. I'll let you know if it works! :D

~Nuindacilien

Bekah 08-02-2004 02:36 AM

Welcome Marien, or Jesse, whichever you prefer. I'm sure you'll find your way around soon and feel like an oldie in no time! We're all pretty friendly, and if you're unsure about something feel free to PM me. I can't promise I'll be much help, but you can PM me all the same.

I'm actually fairly up-to-date atm, so I can call newcomers by their first names.

Because I think this is a recurring issue, if one wishes to reply to a PM click on the 'quote' button down at the bottom.

Cheers,

~ Elentari II

Witch-King 08-02-2004 02:53 AM

Greetings!

ohtatyaro 08-02-2004 09:14 AM

I'm the cheeky one - just welcomed a week ago, and now look at me! I'm welcoming ppl here :D

Welcome! Witch-King :):)