The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Members - Introduce Yourself Here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2941)

One of the Nine 12-29-2003 03:48 PM

Hola!
I am not Spanish! I don't even speak it.
I am 1 of the 9, and the barrowdowns is the coolest LotR website I have seen so far. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Athaniel 12-30-2003 09:33 AM

Hello, my name is Athaniel. I registerd yesterday. I am presently doing a Diploma as a translator and interpreter. Before that I did an M. A. Degree in History and Philosophy. When I was forteen I read LOTR for the first time. I got the English original this Christmas. Although the translation was very good, you cannot beat the original. I am wondering whether any of you have seen the movies? Since I heard about the films I felt reluctant to go, because I did not want my imagination being populated by the characters of the film. Also I heard that much was changed and I found many characters unfitting when watching a magazine on the making of the movies. But what really convinced me not to go was the statement by Tolkien's biographer M. White that Tolkien himself would have hated the film. What do you think?
I hope we are going to have some nice conservations.
Greetings
Athaniel [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

DarkRose 12-30-2003 11:30 AM

Welcome, welcome, Athaniel!

I'm sure you'd enjoy making a trip to The Movies forum, if you're interested in conversations or debates about the movies. You'll find that many of us have seen the movies and have much input to offer. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Enjoy being dead. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

- DarkRose, local Flower of Death

Faralas 12-30-2003 01:55 PM

Greetings my fellow Wayfarers! I am Faralas, who is actually a character I created for an RPG that I'm in the process of writing and developing. 'Tis indeed good to be dead.

I've been trolling this site for a while and find it wonderful. I read the trilogy many years ago (well over 20) and actually took a course on it when I was in college (back in the First Age). *g* I now realize there is a lot about it that I had forgotten, especially with the movies' release. I'm quite fond of Jackson's interpretation of the Trilogy and look forward to seeing the Return of the King.

I'm a full-time writer and (as noted above) am in the process of developing an interactive fiction fantasy/adventure game for a publisher in the UK. (I live in the US - east coast). So, that about sums up moi. I'm so glad I found this website.

Enjoy!

Faralas

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:24 AM December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Faralas ]

FairLadyGoldberry 12-30-2003 01:56 PM

Ok well lets see...I've been browsing these forums for awhile but I just recently joined. I'm a sophmore in high school, I've been a LOTR fan for awhile...and I'm just happy to belong to this merry little Tolkien society! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Phervasaion 12-30-2003 02:18 PM

Welcome to the downs fairlady. Its good to see you enthusiastic about joining and have a great time.

Emma Woodhouse 12-31-2003 08:16 AM

Hello everyone! *loooks around happily*

A friend told me about this site and I saw the forum...it looks like fun! At least it´s not a place where I get "Fur-reak" hissed into my ear when I tell people I had about two hours of sleep cause I went to the RotK midnight prmiere!:P ;-)

What else can I say...I love Tolkien, I love the movies, I love the books...and I´m really exited to meet some fellow "lovers"! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

suilad&stuff,
Emma Woodhouse, the only elf at Hartfield

PS. In case you were wondering about my screenname: Jane Austen is one of my other obsessions, and I just adore Emma.

Bekah 12-31-2003 02:46 PM

I have been very busy recently, and probably will not frequent the Barrowdowns as much as in former days, but I wanted to again welcome all newcomers to the best LOTR in the world (that's my opinion, anyway).

Enjoy yourselves, but remember to post well and on topic and ask questions in PMs if you need to (feel free to PM me).

Many cheers and Season's greetings!

~ Elentari II

Aragorns Twisted Angel 01-01-2004 12:03 PM

Howdy all! I'm new around here!

Elennar Starfire 01-01-2004 02:23 PM

Hurrah! More cool members! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Greetings all, and enjoy thy deceasedness!

(And Happy New Year!)

Finwe 01-01-2004 03:07 PM

Yes indeed! Happy New Year to all you new members!

Aragorns Twisted Angel 01-01-2004 10:59 PM

Hannon le for the warm welcome! Glad to be here mellon-nin

merry_of_the_shire 01-02-2004 06:36 AM

Hi, im new here and im going to tell you alittle bit about my self. im 17,female.i live in england.im a student at ashford school of art and design. i look very similar to a hobbit because im short,i have curly hair,eat loads, etc. anyway im a massive fan of lotr,i base all my art projects on lotr. im hoping in three years time to live in new zealand and become an artist. i really like talking to new people. so if you fancy a chat email me im also a very good listerner.

And there you'll be in my arms just sleeping

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:38 AM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: merry_of_the_shire ]

Livesiel Greenleaf 01-02-2004 01:19 PM

Hi, I'm Livesiel Greenleaf, wife of Legolas Greenleaf. My daughter is Tanraugwen.

Annalaliath 01-02-2004 02:10 PM

Welcome, Mery of the shire, you remind me of me! but I am an animation student in New Mexico at TVI. the only difference is I am something of a Dwobbit. A tall one at that. So, I do end up eating alot and my stuborness is legend....

Have fun on the Barrow Downs, enjoy being dead.

Memory of Trees 01-02-2004 06:30 PM

Hello! My name is Memory. I have been visiting the BDs for about a year now, but just died about ten minutes ago. I am really excited, especially about the RPGs!

See you around!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:32 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Memory of Trees ]

Aiya 01-02-2004 08:45 PM

Well, I 'died' aaaaages ago, stayed in this under-world for a time - posting infrequently - then drifted away because of life's darn siren call. But curiousity always appears when you least expect it, and I wanted to come back. Considering that membership has changed completely since I was last here, I re-introduce myself.

Aiya translates as hail, as in the interjectory. My interests are Fantasy (LotR especially), Music (Flute especially), Writing, Reading, Linguistics and Speechwriting. I'm from Downunder, in Sydney.

Anyway, here's to a good afterlife surrounded by friends.

Aiya

The Dark Elf 01-02-2004 09:25 PM

Hi i'm Mack I registered today. I'm 14 so I don't have much to say.

Melkor89 01-03-2004 12:29 PM

what is PMing and how do you do it?

Imladris 01-03-2004 02:05 PM

FAQs -- scroll down until you come to the PMs

High King Fingolfin 01-03-2004 10:22 PM

Hi! I'm HKF. You could say I'm not a newcomer because I've been reading over my sister's shoulder since she first joined. As you may have guessed by my signature, her name is Orominuialwen. I've been a member for a while, but haven't been able to post. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Rilwen Gamgee 01-05-2004 06:22 PM

Yessss, new corpses, preciousss! But they isn't fresh, oh no. *Gollum gollum*Not good to gobbles them upsy...

Many cold, morbid, slimy, deathly welcomes to all newly-deads! enjoy your... "eternal", shall I say, stay. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Don't worry, nothing bad will happen. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Annalaliath 01-05-2004 07:08 PM

Hi ya Newly deads. Have fun here. Enjoy being dead!!!!

Lord Vaughn 01-07-2004 02:40 AM

Hullo there!Welcome to your newest member, straight from the endless continent of Atlantis,the magnificent and all powerful Mage of Silence,Lord Vaughn Avalon!

Please,to anyone who reads this message and think that I'm a boastful newbie,I'm not.
I'm just trying to get your attention. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

DarkRose 01-07-2004 06:57 AM

Greetings, Lord Vaughn! A warm welcome to the Barrow Downs!

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Keep up the enthusiasm, and I hope to see good posts from you! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy being dead! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- DarkRose, Flower of Death

master_of_puppets 01-07-2004 01:07 PM

i wouldnt call myself new as i used 2b a fanatical member a couple of years ago... from around 2001... but i had a lot of exams on so didnt come online much and my account canceled. altho my poems are still on the fanfiction bit! but yeh, i've rejoined!

i initally got into the books after seeing the first movie- i ran home and burried my head in the books reading for 4 conscutive days before ending. im currently half way through the Silmarillion tho ive re-read LOTR and the Hobbit many times. im also very into music, especially the Rolling Stones but also Dire Straits, Jacko, Queen, Led Zep, Elton JOhn, the Darkness and others.

well theres a bit about me... thank you for your time!

Lomiel 01-07-2004 03:40 PM

Rrgh, I am a stupid Lomiel, yes. I didn't realize that there was a strand for intros [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . Heheh. Bah, I was hoping to save that careless mistake for a rainy day. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

Anyway, I'm really not as absent minded as all this. Really. Trust me.

I've been to a few message boards in the past and I'm the extremely (yeah right) mature age of 15, so I shouldn't be a hugely glaring newbie. If I am, you can smack me. Not really, but....

So that's the basic story on me. A little insane, but....yeah that's about all there is to it. OH! And I'm also a decent roleplayer, just to let you know, I'll probably be mostly hanging out there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

See you all around!
~Lomiel

Elladriar 01-08-2004 10:23 AM

Hey, i'm new here! just spent about half an hour looking for this forum...but now that i'v found it there really isn't much to say about me apart from, i'm a fan of the books erm i love sports and i have a thing for cheese *drools*! ok well, thats all you really need to know, off to explore the Barrow-downs. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

paavo 01-09-2004 11:28 AM

Hi all! another newbie reporting in. so a little about me: as you have probably quessed from my name (ok, maybe you haven't) I'm Finnish. I am 16 years old and of course a huge fan of Tolkien. Other interest are aikido, volleyboll, badminton, soccer, table-tennis etc. I quess that's all. Glad to be here. and I almost forgot, I can't resist mokkabars
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:30 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: paavo ]

Angalhugwen 01-09-2004 12:39 PM

Hello all! My name is Angalhugwen in elfish, but my real name is Ana. I'm excited to read and read on this site as well as post when possible. :) TTFN

Eruanna Losille 01-09-2004 01:24 PM

Vedui'! I'm Eruanna (which I just found out is supposed to be Eruanne, but oh well.) I'm a newbie who's seen all three movies, read the Hobbit and is working on the Fellowship. (I don't get the 'enjoy being dead' thing, but if I read the chapter about Barrow Downs, I think I'll clue in) Oh! And I'm trying to learn how to read/speak Quenya and write Tengwar. (I'm a langauge lover) Um...ok that's about it. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Rosie- Posie Peatfingers 01-10-2004 09:01 AM

Hi, I'm Rosie.(If anyone's wondering where I gt my wierd name it was off some hobbit name generator- not the barrow downs one) I'm 16 years old and still *sigh* at school. My favourit ME chracter is Frodo... closely followed by Pippin. I'm rather obsessed with Hobbits... in fact I'm even beginning to suspect that I have some Hobbit blood in me. Im short, always thinking with my stomach, I don't like heights or boats and enjoy researching my family history. The only thing that's missing is the hairy feet.... but perhaps that's not such a bad thing. I adore Fan Fiction in it's many shapes and forms particularly as concerns Hobbits. I'm currently reading the Silmarrillion (hope I spelled that right) I'm about a third of the way through. Quite apart from enjoying the book (which I am) I am hoiping it will upgrade me from being just another silly teenage girl with a crush on Elijah Wood to a Serious Tolkien Fan... Small hope.

Autumn Dawn Tinuviel 01-10-2004 11:41 AM

Greetings to all! I just joined the posting board. However, I have been visiting the site for a quite sometime now....a couple of years, in fact. I don't know what took me so long to join the forum, but I am here now. My name really is Autumn Dawn (even though I was born in the summer and at night....my mother has a sense of humour, see). Well, there's my intro...usually I am more longwinded than this (which I am sure will become evident in subsequent posts)... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ElizabethGreenleaf 01-10-2004 03:58 PM

Greetings MiddleEarthlings-
my name is Elizabeth -nothins special bout me. ah...i love Legolas LOL i loves the Lord Of the Rings- there really isnt anything to tell bout me thats "special"
How do u put a pic as your picture thing

Missy Evenstar 01-10-2004 09:06 PM

Hey I'm a newbie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] My friend sent me to this site. It's so very cool. I love it!

I actually at first didn't like LOTR. But then I had to read them in one of my classes in college and I LOVED them. I've since read "The Hobbit" and re-read "The Fellowship" and "Two Towers". And am currently working on re-reading "Return of the King". I just saw the movie and it was SO good. I cried for the whole last part of the movie.

My favorite character in LOTR is Sam. I love him because he's so loyal to Frodo. And willing to follow him even into Mordor where he knows they might not come back from. Well I think I've babbled on enough. Bye now! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ElberethVarda 01-12-2004 08:37 AM

A very old story....

I joined back in September but have come here only once since then. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sparrow 01-12-2004 08:04 PM

Hi everyone. I'm Sparrow. I just joined the site and figured this would be the place to sign in appropriately. I am not familiar with anyone at this website on a personal basis and just found it by browsing the Internet, but I would like to thank all the moderators and administrators for their excellent work - the site is very well set up. A gave the Forum Policies and FAQs a good read, so it seems like I am all set.

~Sparrow

Finwe 01-12-2004 08:24 PM

Welcome all newbies! Have fun being dead!

Alchisiel 01-13-2004 02:33 AM

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site and new to The Lord of the Rings. I saw The Fellowship first then decided to read the books. I've gotten so far as the Return of the King and am waiting to see the movie first. I don't want to know what happens until after I see rotk. It seems I'm older than most-I'm 31. I live in the States. Well see you all later!!

Estelyn Telcontar 01-13-2004 03:01 AM

Welcome to all newcomers! Alchisiel, you'll find that there are quite a few members who can top your age easily! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Some of us read the books back in the 60s and 70s, when fandom was just beginning, and are enjoying the opportunity to share that enthusiasm with others of all ages here. Have a good time on the Downs!