The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ladders (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9978)

Rose Cotton 09-05-2003 07:30 PM

Ladders

In the Two Towers the movie, during Helms Deep, Aragorn shouts in elvish "Ladders" and Gimli is seen replying "Good." How did he understand the elvish? We've already been told in Lothlorien on the Extended DVD that Gimli dosn't understand the language. I though maybe some people were saying "Ladders" in english but I didn't hear anyone. Is this a little blooper?

The Only Real Estel 09-05-2003 07:39 PM

I think there's another spot were this is addressed, but since I don't know where it is, here' smy explaination:<P> I do think it's a blooper. There's a theory that Legolas may have taught Gimli some elvish (unlikly), but why would he teach him the elvish word for 'ladders'?

Finnguala 09-06-2003 07:28 AM

Yup, I noticed that too. But it's all very confusing! Legolas said something about aiming at the Uruks necks, but I don't think anyone heard it, because he spoke VERY soft.<BR>And Aragorn screaming orders in Elvish and a few minutes later in the common language...

dancing spawn of ungoliant 09-06-2003 07:55 AM

But it is good that Aragorn gives orders in two languanges since all the rohirrim can't understand elvish.

The Only Real Estel 09-06-2003 12:02 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But it is good that Aragorn gives orders in two languanges since all the rohirrim can't understand elvish.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> True, but as far as I could tell, the elves were with Aragorn & the Rohirrim were with Theoden. So that shouldn't be the reason for it.

Evisse the Blue 09-06-2003 04:58 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Legolas said something about aiming at the Uruks necks, but I don't think anyone heard it, because he spoke VERY soft <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Maybe he was actually speaking in Ossanwe-Kenta (sp?), telepathy that is, with his fellow Elves and he was actually 'thinking aloud' . well, a theory...

The Only Real Estel 09-06-2003 05:22 PM

I think he was more saying it to the elves that were around him. Perhaps it would seem to forward to shout stuff to all of the other elves, since he's not their commander. I don't know about that last bit, but I think he was saying it more to those around him than anything. <P><BR><B>EDIT</B> Happy 600th post day to me <p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]

Phrim 09-06-2003 06:18 PM

My guess is Gimli was just reading the subtitles like everyone else.<P>

Angadraug 09-06-2003 10:48 PM

Or maybe Gimli just knows elvish. When the elves and dwarves were friendly with eachother they spoke eachothers languages all the time. The walls to Moria in the FOTR the password was the Elvish word for friend. So maybe as tradition they all are taught how to speak the language, either to hold conversations with them or just to make fun of them in their own language.

Elentári 09-07-2003 09:16 AM

Er...no they didn't, because the Dwarves never taught their own language to anyone else, did they?<BR>Yes, maybe he had a little TV screen in his prosthetics and read the subtitles...hehehe

Finnguala 09-10-2003 04:54 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think he was more saying it to the elves that were around him. Perhaps it would seem to forward to shout stuff to all of the other elves, since he's not their commander. I don't know about that last bit, but I think he was saying it more to those around him than anything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But what's the point of saying that, if only a few Elves can hear it?!! Ah... you know what.... I DON'T KNOW!! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Yes, maybe he had a little TV screen in his prosthetics and read the subtitles...hehehe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*Lol* But of course! How silly of me! I might have know! <p>[ September 10, 2003: Message edited by: Finnguala ]

dancing spawn of ungoliant 09-11-2003 07:52 AM

Maybe even Legolas was a bit nervous due to the battle and he reminded himself where to shoot the arrows...oh well, this is just speculation.

The Only Real Estel 09-11-2003 09:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But what's the point of saying that, if only a few Elves can hear it?!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Good question. I guess telling it to about 10 archers is better than none. & remember, elves have really good ears, so more of them could've heard Legolas then we think.