The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Finnish TV- Better Than PJ? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18933)

Inziladun 08-24-2015 09:49 AM

Finnish TV- Better Than PJ?

I saw this today, and unsurprisingly, was completely unaware of it before.

I haven't had a chance to try to watch it yet, but maybe this quote from the article is a good sign?

Quote:

But while the prop budget might not have been up to much and though it was all shot on one location – the Ryhmäteatteri theatre – 'Hobitit’ does have a cult following and is largely remembered in its homeland as being a respectful take on a literary classic.
A "respectful take": something Jackson had difficulty achieving....

Pervinca Took 08-24-2015 01:55 PM

I sometimes wonder if Jackson got the idea of 'Frodo the Zombie' from Hobitit, though. ;) The 'pathetic behaviour at Weathertop' and 'get stabbed gormlessly' aspects seem to be there. One striking difference, though, is that Hobitit Frodo is about nine feet tall!

Pitchwife 08-25-2015 12:40 AM

Now come, you didn't really expect that such a jewel has gone undiscovered on these Downs before, did you? There was some discussion of it four years ago, but it certainly warrants some more and is definitely worth watching.

Inziladun 08-25-2015 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 701273)
Now come, you didn't really expect that such a jewel has gone undiscovered on these Downs before, did you? There was some discussion of it four years ago, but it certainly warrants some more and is definitely worth watching.

I wondered, but looking through the Movies threads was too much trouble, and a bit depressing. ;)

Aganzir 09-17-2015 02:16 AM

Five years on (almost to the day) since my post in the other thread and Lommy and I still haven't watched this! Should we do an episode-by-episode? ;)

Inziladun 09-17-2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 701899)
Five years on (almost to the day) since my post in the other thread and Lommy and I still haven't watched this! Should we do an episode-by-episode? ;)

By all means! With MST3K-style commentary. :D

Galadriel55 09-17-2015 04:16 PM

Two questions.

1. Does this adaptation have a Balrog?

...and...

2. If yes, does said Balrog have wings?

:Merisu::p

Pitchwife 09-18-2015 06:23 AM

Neither, I'm afraid - there's a mere suggestion of smoke and orange light, and any viewer who hasn't read the book is left puzzled what exactly happened to Gandalf. A pity, really, because I think they could have done a convincing Balrog in keeping with their general aesthetics - something like a vague dark figure with a backdrop of projected flames would have done the job nicely, and its shadow spreading from wall to wall would have been easily feasible with the right lighting.

I'd love to join an episode-by-episode discussion, which would however have to focus on the visual and dramaturgic aspects rather than the dialogue as far as we non-Finns are concerned (unless we turn this into Learn Finnish with Hobitit).

Zigûr 09-18-2015 06:51 AM

That's probably something we can give the filmmakers credit for. "A demon of the ancient world" doesn't sum things up too badly in my opinion. No surprise that they managed this for a scene in "Fellowship" which has a little delicacy compared to its sequels.

(That being said, of course, the look of the Balrog in the film is all wrong in my opinion. It's far too much like a Medieval devil based on a Greek satyr, with horns and hoofs. Such a Classical reference would never, in my opinion, have been intended in Professor Tolkien's work. It ought, in my view to look like a Fire Giant from Germanic mythology - a man with burnt-black skin and flaming hair. And no wings, I'm afraid.)

Pervinca Took 09-18-2015 12:10 PM

Pitchwife, I'm sure there's now a version with subtitles on YouTube.