The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   vBulletin 3.0 Gold Questions (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10487)

symestreem 03-28-2004 07:43 PM

I have verified that my posts are not being eaten. It seems to be operator error- apparently you have to let the thread reload part way before you close it out for the post to appear.
I apologize, noble board, for impugning your honor.

Sharkû 03-28-2004 08:10 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely wait for the redirect to be done. You can always use more windows if you're impatient.

Hilde Bracegirdle 03-30-2004 11:17 AM

Spiders in "Who's On-line"

Curiously, some green spiders are showing up in the "Who's on-line" screen.
To be more specific they seem as though they might be guests, as they are green, but instead of listing "Guest" my snap shot shows two that read Googlebot (Google) Spider and one that reads Zyborg (Looksmart) Spider. Are these spiders poisonous? If not what does this designation mean? That they have found the site via a search engine?

Sharkû 03-31-2004 03:12 AM

Quote:

That they have found the site via a search engine?
Yup, you're perfectly right. In some cases you can easily tell with which search engine, too. I have to admit I do not know the exact way in which spiders are registered on Who's online, but I suppose you become a normal guest once you move from the originally linked destination to somewhere else on the site.

Hilde Bracegirdle 03-31-2004 04:55 AM

Ah, so an invasion by spiders can be a good thing for the Barrow Downs! Thank you.

Mister Underhill 03-31-2004 11:02 AM

Actually I think the "spiders" are bot programs that scan the web, caching links, pages, and content for use by search engines. So when you see one, it means that an automated program is "visiting" the Downs.

Hilde Bracegirdle 03-31-2004 11:12 AM

I think "spider watching" is becoming my new pastime! Currently there is an Ask Jeeves Spider in Haudh-en-Ndengin and a Looksmart one in the achives of Rohan.
Fascinating! ;)

Nilpaurion Felagund 03-31-2004 11:38 PM

The Angmar Clan...

I've looked at my Group Memberships and found this group there. What's it for?

I think it's for the mods and admins.

Yeah, I think so. But I can't assume.

Sharkû 04-01-2004 08:17 AM

It's just part of a test of the new VBulleting features, ignore it.

Maédhros 04-04-2004 10:11 AM

Translations from the Elvish Private Forum

I have been trying to post a fairly big post in the Private Forum, yet when I try to do it, I get the following message: That I followed an invalid link.
Does this have anything to do with a character restriction in a post?

piosenniel 04-04-2004 03:28 PM

Maédhros

I was having the same problem in the Shire with one of our very long informational posts. Many of the sections on it were in "bold".

I had to go back and remove all of the previous "bold"s and change them to CAPS to get the edit to go through.

Is there any way to resolve this restriction problem for the TftE forum and the RPG fora?

~*~ Pio

Child of the 7th Age 04-04-2004 04:27 PM

I am having a different problem with editing, also in the Shire. I do not know if this is a problem with the site, or AOL who is my ISP.

My new posts go through just fine. However, yesterday and today, the posts I edit give me a note that the website has "timed out". It took me about eight tries to get an edit through. I did keep checking on another window so I knew when it finally "clicked".

Again, this may be solely a coincidence, but these posts did have some text in bold.

Child

Maédhros 04-04-2004 05:18 PM

piosenniel
As I looked at my post, I have found out that it had only one title in bold and that was it. I have several little parts underlined but that is mostly it. What I'm trying to post is an 11 page long post about an almost finish part of our work. I wonder if the reason that it can't be posted is that it exceeds the forum limit size of a post or if it is something else entirely.
Just to note that they are far more longer posts in that section of the forum that existed before the migration to VBulletin.

The message that i get from the forum is: Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

HerenIstarion 04-04-2004 11:45 PM

you have followed the link

I have encountered similar problem. Solution was found as to split the post into parts

Sharkû 04-05-2004 05:09 AM

I think it has to do with posts being especially long, and causing errors during connection/'upload' of the message. There is no limit on post length per se, but errors are more likely to occur on long posts I guess. Always save long posts somewhere (word processor, cache), retry if failed; split into two parts as mentioned by Heren if it still fails.

Bêthberry 04-05-2004 07:36 AM

A solution of sorts

When both BW and I were unable to edit The Golden Hall thread in Rohan a couple of weeks ago (a very simple edit of adding one name on one line), I simply copied the entire thread into a new thread and deleted the old one. There were no problems starting a new thread. Maybe this idea will be of use on other forums.

Miriel Undomiel 04-07-2004 02:04 PM

Just one question: what are these 'groups'? I've got a box in my user cp asking me to jain the Angmar Clan. What is this??? :confused:

The Barrow-Wight 04-07-2004 02:40 PM

It's nothing. Ignore it. If it becomes something, we'll let everyone know.

Sharkû 04-07-2004 06:46 PM

Time must be cyclical after all, I could have sworn that question was asked and answered not even some 10 posts above. Weird.

HerenIstarion 04-07-2004 11:49 PM

I don't seem to locate 'reply' button in private messaging, so have to 'forward' my replies instead. Is it just me? For I get messages starting with re: original title, so, presumably, some people must have reply button after all

piosenniel 04-08-2004 12:12 AM

HerenIstarion - check your PM's and give it a try!

Scroll to the bottom of a PM you've been sent. At the bottom right corner is a 'forward' button and a 'quote' button. Choose the 'quote' button - it sends back a reply to the one who sent you the PM you want to reply to that includes the PM text sent you.

I think it's strange they didn't just call it 'reply' - but they didn't! :rolleyes:

~*~ Pio

HerenIstarion 04-08-2004 12:22 AM

Seemingly, it works. Thanks :)

Hilde Bracegirdle 04-14-2004 10:43 AM

Forgive me my ignorance and also if this has been brought up before but...

I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to print out a portion of my printable version without the last sentence on most pages getting decapitated. The curious thing is that the bottom of the bounding box prints out just fine.

The method I have been using is to select the portion of the text I want to print and paste it into a Word document, printing from there. I have tried to change margins and fonts, but to no avail. Has anyone else been experiencing this? Have you found a good way to print with out printing the whole thread's page?

piosenniel 04-14-2004 11:54 AM

Using the Buddy List

Someone walk me through this version:

On the last version I had the opportunity to look at my Buddy List and send a PM from it. Now when I look at the buddy list it simply lists the names as black text on a white background with no way of clicking on one or a number of them to send a PM.

Am I missing a way to send PM's directly from the Buddy List?

~*~ Pio

EDIT: Thank you kindly, BW! :D (answer below)

~*~ Pio, blind as a bat at times . . .

The Barrow-Wight 04-14-2004 12:03 PM

Sending PM's to Buddies.

Go to QUICK LINKS and choose OPEN BUDDY List.
Click the box by the buddy you want to PM.
Click the PM USERS button.

Sleeping Beauty 04-16-2004 03:57 PM

Just a quick question: You know little preview box that comes up when you hover or just click once on threads, why does it only show up on posts I haven't read yet and not on posts that I have? Is it just a board thing for new posts or is my computer just being random? :rolleyes:

Gorwingel 04-28-2004 09:17 PM

Ok, I just have a quick, little question...

Now I know that the little green box (the one that says "Gorwingel has started on the path to adventure... blah..blah" when you put your cursor over it) has been asked about before, and that we kind of know what it is for. But I was just wondering... today I was just doing my regular reading of various threads, and I noticed that Saucepan Man had two little green boxes instead of just one! *gasp*

Now is the extra box because of Saucepan Man having many messages in his reputations, or is it because of something else?

An answer would be greatly appreciated :cool:

mark12_30 05-11-2004 08:05 PM

It's because he's "As faithful as Samwise." So's Esty, now, I think.

Barrow Wight-- the way that PM'ing is set up right now, the system automatically saves a copy of each PM I send, unless I remember to tell it not to. It also defaults to "Ask For Read Receipt", or whatever it's called.

I've looked for a way to default these to OFF and I haven't found one yet. Any suggestions?

Orcrist 05-14-2004 04:22 PM

Is there a way to change my name without having to re-register? There probably isn't, but I just thought I'd ask.

The Barrow-Wight 05-14-2004 06:55 PM

Nope. We decided long ago that if we allowed people to change their nicks it would only lead to mass confusion.

Imladris 06-03-2004 11:11 PM

I changed my email address and now I'm getting emailed responses to all of my subscribed threads. I went into my profile and checked the option not to have an email response, but I'm still getting them. Do you know why, and how I can fix it?

Cheers,
Imladris

Hilde Bracegirdle 06-05-2004 08:11 AM

Has anyone else experienced occasional trouble getting the 'add post' and ‘edit’ boxes to show up. It usually seems to happen when I am in a bit of a hurry. :)

Mister Underhill 06-05-2004 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imladris
I changed my email address and now I'm getting emailed responses to all of my subscribed threads. I went into my profile and checked the option not to have an email response, but I'm still getting them. Do you know why, and how I can fix it?

You can manage your subscribed threads in the "List Subscriptions" area of the User Control Panel. You can delete subscriptions or change the e-mail update type (none, every post, weekly update, etc.) using controls similar to the ones used to manage your PMs.

Imladris 06-09-2004 03:27 PM

Thank you, Mr. Underhill.

Alas, I have yet another question. Do links in your signature affect your character count? The reason I ask is because I see people with sigs longer than mine, yet I cannot add another short sentence in mine. In fact, I was changing one of the links (replacing it rather), and that's all I changed but the sig said that I had gone over my 250 character count...

Cheers,
Imladris

Orominuialwen 06-12-2004 01:31 PM

Location and Subscription

I've been trying to change my location so that I can update my miles to Rivendell, which I haven't done since before we switched from UBB, but I can't find where to change it. I've looked all over my User CP, to no avail. Am I just overlooking it?

Also, is there a way to change the option that subscribes me to a thread so that the default is to not subscribe? I don't always remember to change the little box before I post, and the swarms of e-mail can get quite bothersome, particularly to people with limited mailbox space. Do I just have to try and remember every time, or is there something else I can do?

Thanks,
Oromin

Sharkû 06-12-2004 08:34 PM

I'm too lazy to verify it, but hyperlinks and unless I'm mistaken tags used to count towards the character limit in signatures, and likely still do, yes. In a way it makes sense, too, since code is code.

Thread subscription per default / do not subscribe can be edited in your Control Panel - edit options.
Location is under edit profile...

Orominuialwen 06-13-2004 02:36 PM

Thank you! It's hard to believe I didn't notice that before. :o

Mad Baggins 06-17-2004 04:37 PM

Odd...

Whenever I try to post with just a quote or URL, it tells me to lengthen my message to one character. Why?

Mad Baggins 07-04-2004 08:44 PM

Can I get my question answered, if possible, please?

Mirkgirl 07-05-2004 02:24 AM

Well I believe I can answer this one (:

The quotes (apparently the URLs too) aren't counted to the minimum characters check, which apparently is set to 1