The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Collection Grows (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5489)

Samwise 12-18-2002 08:05 AM

The Collection Grows

A few days ago I got him...Frodo!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Now my Sam and Bill won't be quite as unnerved surrounded by my bear collection...*though I keep telling Sam they're harmless...* I mean gee, Bill's even let one of my tiny ones ride him, as skittish as he is... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
  • So, now my LOTR collection consists of:
  • Sam and Bill (my prize peice) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
  • The special edition TV Guide with all 4 Hobbits on the cover
  • A magazine I can't remember the title of with the page open to an article about LOTR---again w/a picture of all 4 Hobbits
  • "The Arms of the Hobbits"--a plaque with replicas of the 4 Hobbit swords and of course, the weapon of all weapons, Sam's saucepan [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
  • Sam's dear companion, Frodo
  • A stack of newspaper inserts about LOTR/TTT, and one that includes a large article about Li'l Mr. Wood
  • ...and lastly, a Spanish version of the book, "A Bad Case of Stripes". (Yeah, I know it's not LOTR, but there is a site where you can hear this book being read by Sean Astin) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]

Meela 12-18-2002 10:41 AM

cool! i have mainly newspaper articles- i buy 3 of each paper with lotr features [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
and i have 3 action figures- soon to be 7!
and all my cinema tickets from fotr, and a lot of pictures... and a mug, and an elvish dress (not from lotr itself, but elven [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
and probably a load of other stuff i cant remember...

TolkienGurl 12-18-2002 12:53 PM

Books:
*Red Book Edition of The Lord of the Rings (love the map!!!)

*The Hobbit, illustrated with pics from the cartoon [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

*Boxed Edition of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings

*Hardcover 1 novel edition of The Lord of the Rings

*2 versions of The Silmarillion (1 from 1979, and the other is the second edition published in either 1999 or 2001)

*Unfinished Tales

*The Book of Lost Tales 1

*The Tolkien Reader

*The Tolkien Companion by J.E.A. Tyler

*The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth by Ruth S. Noel

*Farmer Giles of Ham & Smith of Wootton Major (1 book)

*The Hobbit Companion by David Day

*Finding God in The Lord of the Rings by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware

*A Tolkien Bestiary by David Day

*The J.R.R. Tolkien Trivia Quiz Book by William C. MacKay

Videos:
*FotR VHS
*FotR DVD
*FotR Collectors' Edition Extended DVD

Calendars:
*The 1980 J.R.R. Tolkien Calendar 'The Great Illustrators Edition'

*The 1981 J.R.R. Tolkien Calendar 'The Great Illustrators Edition'

*Tolkien Calendar 2000, Illustrated by Ted Nasmith

*Tolkien Calendar 2001 The Lord of the Rings, Illustrated by John Howe

*Tolkien Diary 2001 The Lord of the Rings, Illustrated by John Howe

Magazines:
*Entertainment Weekly #682; November 15, 2002; "LORD OF THE RINGS" "Talking Trees, Furry Feet & Hot Elf Action: The Making of THE TWO TOWERS"

*TIME; December 2, 2002; "Return of the Rings" "Good Lord! THE TWO TOWERS is even better than the first movie" "PLUS: Why we crave fantasies now"

Figurines/Action Figures:
*Gandalf the White

*Ringwraith and horse

*Little pewter figurines: Sam, Merry, Pippin, Boromir, Gimli, Aragorn, Galadriel, and the Balrog

Soundtracks:
*The Fellowship of the Ring

*The Two Towers

Miscellaneous:
*Dark red LotR journal with gold lettering in Elvish (really cool)
*THE ONE RING with the Boromir bookmark (Bwahahaha! I am Sauron!!!)
*A mini Lorien leaf with the Merry & Pippin bookmark
*Gandalf the White bookmark
*Deck of trading cards

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]

steve 12-18-2002 03:56 PM

I got all Lotr action figgures from the movies, (i got 2 of aragorn on his horse and 2 of arwen on her horse so i could mouth eomer and the rohan soldier) i got a few of the Lotr figgures from the old Toy Vault collections (galadriel barrow wight and a big witchking) i got all the books, like everyone else doesnt, i got all the hidebrant lotr art printed out and hung on my walls, i got the lotr card sets, i got the very old the hobbit card set, and lastly i got the animated version of sam and frodo's ROTK animated adventure (yes the one with all the singing

-Imrahil- 12-18-2002 07:55 PM

I have the big LotR book with all 3 books in it. Has the cool cover drawing with Frodo, Sam, and Gollum looking at the Black Gate. Also have the smaller books for traveling and computer room.

Pookabunny 12-18-2002 08:58 PM

I've got a pair of socks that are too small, so I call them my "Hobbit socks". [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Morai 12-19-2002 06:36 PM

Let's see, I have:

1) LOTR VHS (non-extended)

2) Too many prized Frodo/Mr. Wood pictures, and articles

3)USA Today Official TTT Poster

4) I think my friend is going to give me a LOTR bookmark for christmas

5) My Unoficial Frodo Impersonator Costume. (All bought seperatley at the local discount store)

Orual 12-19-2002 08:40 PM

I have six action figures (Sam, Frodo, Pippin, Merry, Legolas, and an orc that came with Merry and Pippin), three One Rings (isn't that wrong?), two bookmarks, the "Return of the Rings" TIME magazine, the USAToday poster and all those puzzles and games and stuff from that one, the review from EW (I was horrified by the "B" rating, but then I saw it...le sigh!), and tomorrow I think our paper will have a review in it, so I'll save that. I also have all the clippings from the last Oscar coverage in our paper, and a picture of Orlando Bloom from USAToday a while back.

~*~Orual the Collector~*~

-Imrahil- 12-19-2002 11:59 PM

I just bought the Frodo and Sam action figures. Awesome little things!

I want Treebeard next.

Samwise 12-20-2002 09:50 PM

Oh! I totally forgot about my LOTR video!!!
And NO FAIR about the action figures! I haven't been able to find them anywhere!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Hobbit socks... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I like that.

Pookabunny 12-21-2002 08:23 PM

I also have some jeans that are getting smaller. So with those jeans and my hobbit socks, I can have an outfit the shire would be proud of! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 12-22-2002 12:41 AM

Samwise... you can get a lot of FOTR action figured at KBee Toys (and they are on sale now)! They also had some TTT figures, but I think that my mom says she's seen the most at Target. I believed I am receiving a stock pile for Christmas... YAY!

Also, have you seen the wonderful Sam and Frodo figures from Applause??? You can see them at their website... www.applause.com - they look most like them than any other figures I've seen!!!
I must now go to join pio at our LOTR merchandise anonymous meeting...

Tigerlily Gamgee 12-22-2002 01:32 AM

http://www.psy-strike.com/toys.jpg Here's Frodo and Sam... but the website has so much more great things, and these are the ones that are really hard to come by.

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]

Samwise 12-22-2002 05:34 PM

Oh..those are sooooooo cool.....*writing down website address....* Much thanks, Miss Tigerlily!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Raefindel 12-23-2002 11:54 AM

Sounds great Samwise!

I've been gathering the Movie cards (not the trading card game) and I got 2 really cool ones. One is a foil of Legolas the other is a piece of movie memrobelia; a piece of Pippin's cloak.

Gorwingel 12-23-2002 03:43 PM

I have a rather large collection which includes
My large FOTR final poster
a small collection of trading cards
the official LOTR movie guide and the TTT visual companion
The bookmarks(bought ones and free ones from Library)
Multiple magazines(including ones I carried all the way from Britan)
Ian McKellen signed water bottle from when I met him in Seattle
And leaf pin from Lorien, from the Noble collection
Oh and my collection is still growing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Gorwingel 12-23-2002 03:45 PM

Oh yeah, the DVD's of course, theatrical and extended [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And both Soundtracks, I just got TTT recently
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And the daily calender, which I cannot wait for the New Year so that I can use it [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ December 29, 2002: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]

Samwise 12-23-2002 04:28 PM

Quote:

the other is...of movie memrobelia; a piece of Pippin's cloak.
Only a peice of the cloak? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Raefindel 12-24-2002 01:18 AM

Ya know, Master Samwise, I asked for the "whole cloak" and they cut a hole in the cloak and gave me the piece! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Samwise 12-24-2002 01:24 AM

Hm. Now that dosen't seem fair in th' least, Miss Rae. Cheapskates.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 12-24-2002 11:53 PM

OOOoooo! Rae! I was given a collector's card with a piece of Sam's traveling coat in it! I don't know where my friend got it, but it is truly a treasure now.
I got some great giveaways at the midnight showing too: A Fan Club mag, a free long sleeve T-shirt (compliments of a local radio station and New Line Cinema), some Decipher cards, and the same friend that gave me the above gave me a set of those toys that come in the German prize eggs!!!! It was so fun!

Samwise... I found the Frodo and Sam at Suncoast Videos... do they have those by you? They are so cute, and quite sizeable! I also got the Treebeard with Merry and Pippin (the Applause not the Toybiz version).

Samwise 12-25-2002 06:18 PM

No, Miss Tigerlily, 'fraid I never heard of it. Oh, well. My "Sam" is still trying to convince my "Frodo" that my bears are friendly, anyway, and I don't know what my bears would do if I had a Sam and Frodo with "arms" drawn. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Morai 12-25-2002 07:59 PM

Hmm...some more additions on Christmas.

1) Finding God in LOTR (By Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware)

2) And I forgot to mention that "The One Ring" came with the bookmark that my friend gave me.

Nianna Telmnar 12-25-2002 08:09 PM

Well, I don't have the money to go out and buy all this wonderful stuff, but for Christmas I got this beautiful dark green suade shirt. It has long sleeves and the coller laces up. I call it my "elf shirt". I figured I could post that here since someone talked about their "hobbit socks". very cute by the way...

Marsyas 12-25-2002 08:13 PM

My collection is as follows:

2 movie posters from FotR
The 4-disc extended edition collectors set
dvd - compliments of my wonderful boyfriend
All three books
The Silmarillion
And my friend - she has all the knowledge on
this stuff that I could possibly want!

*~Marsyas~*

Samwise 12-25-2002 10:59 PM

Oh, yeah, I forgot....
  • "The Nine Walkers"--a card from the LOTR Trading Card Game--encased in plastic. My first ever purchase off of Ebay. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

akhtene 12-28-2002 06:03 PM

Oh, how lucky you all here are!!!
I can't get hold of anything so cool - nothing seems to be on sale here, and I've no idea how you buy things by Internet.
And what makes it absolitely unfair - my daughter has stuffed the flat with her H-P stuff. Why can't I? Why aren't they selling anything???
I've only got books (in English and in Russian), the film in English - had to search hard for it... and lots of 'rubbish' in my poor computer.
Just say you are sorry for me... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood 12-28-2002 06:27 PM

I just bought some more stuff today so now I have:

-The LOTR series
-The Silmarillion
-The Book of Lost Tales part 1
-The Book of Lost Tales part 2
-The Unfinished Tales
-The Lays of Beleriand
-The Atlas of Middle-Earth
-The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth
-The FoTR DVD
-The FoTR extended version DVD with book ends
-The Hobbit Companion(though I'm an elf)
-FoTR soundtrack(still got to get the TTT soundtrack)
-a bow and arrow(its just related to this stuff)
-a pretty elvish looking dress

Hmm... I think that's it. Yep and my collection shall continue to grow!!

Faye Took 12-28-2002 07:18 PM

Well I have

-Frodo, Sam, Nazgul, and Legolas action figure.
-FotR and TTT soundtracks
-TT movie poster that has the TT
-3 FotR posters
-YM magazines with Elijah and Orlando, Time Magazie with TTT pictures.
-Newspaper articles and pictures
-Trading Cards
-FotR DVD and Extended DVD (with bookends)
- National Geographic DVD
-FotR Video game for PS2 and The Two Towers Video game.
-The Silmarillion
-LotR Trilogy

I think thats all...not quite sure.

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood 12-29-2002 04:56 PM

*slaps head* I forgot some others:

-The Hobbit(pretty green hard cover)
-A map of The Hobbit
-YM magazines with Orlando and Elijah
-National Geographic DVD
-The Hobbit cartoon an VHS(yes i know, kinda scary)
-The Lord of the Rings cartoon on VHS(also a bit scary)

Okay this time I think I'm done...

Samwise 01-02-2003 12:01 AM

Well, tonight I got a late Christmas gift from my "LOTR expert" friend. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The Samwise Gamgee action figure w/Moria mines battle action base from Toy Biz. Not quite as nice as the ones above, but not bad, either. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]He even comes with a sword in one hand and a saucepan in the other, so he can "whack" the Orc that's sticking its head through the door (okay, yeah, I've played with it.....) ;D

Quote:

"I think I'm beginnin' to get th' hang of this!"

Raefindel 01-02-2003 12:36 AM

Tigerlilly, you're the only one I ever heard of who also had a piece of a cloak! They must be special!

Tigerlily Gamgee 01-02-2003 01:14 AM

Really? Wow.
I've seen the costume cards on Ebay, but I have no clue where my friend got it (though I know she went to the Toronto exhibit, so I suspected that she got it there... since it was a costume exhibit... maybe...).

Raefindel 01-02-2003 02:03 AM

I want this; http://www.noblecollection.com/image...e/NN2836L2.jpg

Morai 01-02-2003 10:50 PM

If it's appropriate, I'd like to add my memories of TTT. I absolutely fell in love with Frodo and Gollum all over again.

Tigerlily Gamgee 01-03-2003 01:03 AM

Ooooo!!!! I saw that at Noble Collections, Rae! It is lovely. I am also fond of the Rivendell inspired necklace, but I spent my wad on the Evenstar pendant... so my LOTR jewelry buying is currently at a hault.
I kinda hope they make a replica of Eowyn's necklace because I plan on dressing up as her for ROTK.

Samwise 04-23-2003 06:17 PM

Quote:

So, now my LOTR collection consists of:

Sam and Bill (my prize peice)

The special edition TV Guide with all 4 Hobbits on the cover

A magazine I can't remember the title of with the page open to an article about LOTR---again w/a picture of all 4 Hobbits

"The Arms of the Hobbits"--a plaque with replicas of the 4 Hobbit swords and of course, the weapon of all weapons, Sam's saucepan

Sam's dear companion, Frodo

A stack of newspaper inserts about LOTR/TTT, and one that includes a large article about Li'l Mr. Wood

...and lastly, a Spanish version of the book, "A Bad Case of Stripes". (Yeah, I know it's not LOTR, but there is a site where you can hear this book being read by Sean Astin)
Added: some interesting little "viewmaster" type thingies that each focus on one character--in this case Gandalf, Frodo, Bilbo, Aragorn, and (((shudder))) the Ringwraiths (hm. That's 9 characters...oh well.) The guy I bought them from said there's another series he'll soon have for sale, which had BETTER include SAM!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Soon I'll have one of Li'l Mr. Wood (OOC), and I hope to find one of Sean Astin.

[ 9:32 PM November 29, 2003: Message edited by: Samwise ]

Alatįriėl Lossėhelin 04-24-2003 09:55 PM

My collection consists of:
*several sets of paperback copies of the Silm, the Hobbit, & LotR (from current versions with movie photos to the old psychedelic ones with emus/eggplants)
*BoLT part 1 & 2
*history of LotR parts 1-4
*Tolkein Illustrated Encyclopedia
*Atlas of Middle-Earth
*paperback of Bored of the Rings
*the Alan Lee illustrated centenary of LotR
*the Annotated Hobbit
*first American ed Silm
*collectors ed Hobbit
*first ed collectors ed LotR
*unabridged audio cd's of Silm, Hobbit & LotR
*theatrical release dvd FotR
*extended version dvd FotR
*approx 200-300 photos from the film that cycle as screensavers/wallpaper in both my home computer & my work computer
*miniature replica of Sting (letter opener size)
*full-size replica of Sting with scabbard
*full-size replica of Strider's ranger sword
*(the full-size replica of Narsil is still on back order)

My son & one or two friends are envious. My daughter and the rest of my friends (and co-workers) think I've gone off the deep end. However, the collection has acquired a life of its own and will continue to grow. I may have to get a part time job to help pay for my addiction, but obsession requires sacrifices.

Alatįriėl Lossėhelin 04-24-2003 10:04 PM

Quote:

the one where you can push a button on Sam's back and he whacks an orc on the head with the saucepan in his hand!
Samwise: Where did you find that?!?!? I don't go in for action figures, but I think my collection needs this one. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ::We wantss it preciouss. We wantss it. Musst have it.:: (I meant to ask on my previous post, but I hit the 'add reply' too quick.)

Samwise 04-24-2003 10:05 PM

Quote:

*miniature replica of Sting (letter opener size)
*full-size replica of Sting with scabbard
Oooh...I've always wanted a full-size "Sting" It's just explaining to my mother why I bought a sword.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]