The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   if you could be either Eowyn or Arwen which would you be? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3563)

lady evenstar 10-09-2003 02:40 PM

if you could be either Eowyn or Arwen which would you be?

I would rather be Arwen because she's an elf and elves are cool.

kittygirl02 10-09-2003 02:44 PM

Elves bug me at times because, well I just think that have too many advatages. Like enhanced sight, hearing, lifespan,aging, and looks. But that's probably because I am mortal, imperfect, and sometimes jealous.
But, no dougt, Eowyn all the way. I can relate with her at least..

Eomer of the Rohirrim 10-09-2003 03:19 PM

Just remember that a lot of Elves would be jealous of you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, on the topic, though the thought of being either one of Arwen or Eowyn makes my head spin, I'll have to choose Arwen. She pretty much just sits around for thousands of years and then has a big fancy wedding with the King of Men. Eowyn has to put up with a few years of being harrassed by Wormtongue.

Arwen1858 10-09-2003 05:18 PM

I like Eowyn well enough, she does some cool stuff. But I would definately say Arwen. I LOVE the elves, and Arwen is one of my favorite characters!! I love the story of her and Aragorn. It is simply beautiful!

Shiva 10-09-2003 05:20 PM

As much as I LOVE elves, I have to admit that I would rather be Eowyn in this case. As a human, (and a woman for that matter) in this time, she is the perfect example of strength and courage. Her change also from the cold, lonely shield-maiden to an open-hearted bride to Faramier is truly amazing!

Eowyn is definately my choice! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Araathwen 10-09-2003 05:21 PM

Arwen most definitely. Even though she takes a mortal life, look who she ends up with!!!

Cheers

Lily Bracegirdle 10-09-2003 06:32 PM

Eowyn for me. She gets to be a hero of the War without getting saddled with the responsibility of being Queen afterwards. Plus, Ithilien would be a great place to live once the Men and Elves spruced it up a bit. And Faramir would be a lovely husband.

Arwen had to wait thousands of years before getting married, got stuck being Queen (formal banquets -- yawn) and then watched Aragorn get old and die in front of her eyes. Sure, he lived much longer than Eowyn or Faramir, but she was married for what, about 4% of her life? And after that she withered away and died. Doesn't sound like so much fun too me.

Cheers!

-Lily

kittygirl02 10-09-2003 06:37 PM

Yes, well, if you were mortal, then being marriend and dying seems like a long time to a mortal. To an immortal, well, that is like 4% of theire lives, so that would suk.And to Eyown, she was treated harshly, and Faramir saw her inner beauty,and they go married. So, if you were basicly tortured for most of your life, then one person seeing your inner beauty must be a wonderful feeling.(Thsi is coming from a person who struggles with depression, and knows what true sadness and being broken is all about)

kittygirl02 10-09-2003 06:41 PM

But when i said inner beauty, i didn't mean it like Eowyn was not pretty or fair. Just that she was cold.

Meela 10-10-2003 05:41 AM

Eowyn. More interesting life, more involved. It's quite tempting to be an elf and queen, but Eowyn's life is less tragic. Plus I rather prefer human, I think. And Faramir.

Ophelia 10-10-2003 10:03 AM

Most deffinetly Eowyn . Firstly I'm not so graceful and feminine in my actions , and besides I think it is quite boring to live forever , so I'll pass the life of an Elven princess .
And secondly - I do not live without horses and if to live somewhere than it must be among horses [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

-Ophelia-

kittygirl02 10-10-2003 12:22 PM

Meither am I. not so graceful or feminine iny my actions, but I have my moments.
I think every girl at some point has some moment of femininity, but some people try to steer away from it so that they look like tomboys.

Daisy Brambleburr 10-10-2003 01:37 PM

Eowyn, definatley. She sure had guts.
I'm not too fussed about being an elf, I certainly wouldn't want to live forever and see everything I love pass on. Although Eowyn had a hard life, she got her man and stuck to what she believed in. She was vert determind and brave, and I can identify with her when she is called 'cold'.

Aethelwine 10-10-2003 01:54 PM

Quote:

Meither am I. not so graceful or feminine iny my actions, but I have my moments.
I think every girl at some point has some moment of femininity, but some people try to steer away from it so that they look like tomboys.
Why are you spying on me?

But to stay on topic, Eowyn for sure! I love her, she's my favourite female character ever! She's so cool. She's a warrior, but feminine at the same time. She can still love, even though she seems so cold. And in the end, she gets her prince (or should I say steward [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) on a white horse... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

She's most like me. Both in character (really, I'm almost exactly like her! the only thing being I don't wear, and hate!, skirts and dresses), and appearance in a way. I mean, I'm not as tall and fair as her, but I've got the same hair and eyes. Now I only have to learn Old-English, and I'm ready! Serious, even before I knew Old-English was the language of the Rohirrim, I already wanted to learn it. Isn't that a coincidence or what? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Navaer!

Aethelwine.

andreadawn 10-10-2003 03:25 PM

Well, it depends on whether we're talking about the book-world or the movie-world. In the book world I'd rather be Eowyn, she's a corageous, complicated woman. However, in the movie world I would rather be Arwen, so I could play in all those scenes opposite Viggo.*now making the sound Homer makes when he sees a donut*

kittygirl02 10-10-2003 03:28 PM

MMMMMMM..classic

Finwe 10-10-2003 06:29 PM

Eowyn all the way!

Honestly, who would want to sit around for a century and weave a banner???? I mean, it's like, come on girl! Get a friggin' life!!!!!!!!

Eowyn, on the other hand, took charge of her life and took some risks. And she lived in a country teeming with horses!!!! I really think she had a much richer, and fuller life than Arwen did.

kittygirl02 10-10-2003 06:31 PM

Yes, most deffinetly. Her life may have been shorterm but she lived it fuller. In my book, it's what you do, not how long you live.

Shenaran 10-10-2003 07:33 PM

Eowyn for sure...I'm way to bold, I welding a sword and I even kind of look like her.
I have long blond hair.

kittygirl02 10-11-2003 11:35 AM

Nice.....

Eomer of the Rohirrim 10-11-2003 02:08 PM

But Arwen just lazed around for thousands of years in the Elven paradise of Rivendell, soaking up the sun and (probably) reading magazines and eating chocolates, fully content in the knowledge that she was the foremost contender for most gorgeous specimen on Middle Earth.

Lily Bracegirdle 10-12-2003 07:06 PM

But, Eomer, is that a pro or con? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, that sounds like a poor sort of life. I hope Arwen didn't spend her 2000-odd years like that. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

-Lily

kittygirl02 10-12-2003 07:42 PM

That's one of the reasons Elves bug me because most of them don't do anything with their lives exept laze about and be sad at the changing world about them.

kittygirl02 10-12-2003 10:16 PM

The only Elf who doesn't bug me is Galadriel.At least of the female elves.

Rilarien884 10-12-2003 10:43 PM

Isn't there some happy medium between these two? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Just kidding, I know there isn't. Anyway, I think I'd have to pick Eowyn. Arwen has a great life, being an elf and all, getting hitched to Aragorn, having a great family, awesome abilities, the prettiest elf around, etc, etc, etc, but she didn't have much adventure.

Eowyn stood up for herself, battled with the head honcho of wraiths, could kick butt, and she found herself in a happy ending with Faramir. A harder life than Arwen's, but just as satisfying.

Really, too bad there isn't an in-between cause that would be the best of both worlds doncha think [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

AL

Diamond18 10-12-2003 11:03 PM

Éowyn seems to be the most popular choice... and I have to go with the flow. I'm not really anything like her. Okay, I'm nothing like her. Personally, I prefer the kind of lifestyle Eomer describes for Arwen, except I like to write, read or watch movies when I sit around. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But I find Éowyn more interesting than Arwen, and if I'm thinking about being someone other than myself I may as well go with someone very different. Though, I guess I am somewhat similar to Éowyn in one thing: her desire for adventure and acclaim. Only, I'm happy to live my adventure vicariously though stories, and I want my acclaim to also come from those stories!

But the clincher? She married Faramir! Come on! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You put book-Faramir's lovely personality with movie-Faramir's good looks and there's no way either Aragorn can compete.

Gorwingel 10-12-2003 11:47 PM

Eowyn
Because I've liked her in the movies, and I have liked her in the books. She is just so cool. But, yet, she is so much braver than me. Though I do like adventure (just not fighting, unless I am guaranteed survival), but the cool thing that she gets to do is wield a sword, and I would love to do that.

Finwe 10-13-2003 08:27 AM

I actually think Eowyn had the best of both worlds. She got to ride, hunt, fight, etc. along with all the Rohirrim, but later, once she came to Gondor, she got all the adoration from Faramir (and much of Ithilien, I'd say!). That's another reason why I like Eowyn's life more.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 10-13-2003 11:08 AM

I think its harsh to criticise Elves because they supposedly 'laze about' and 'do nothing'. If you were stuck on Middle Earth with thousands upon thousands of years ahead of you then you would spend quite a lot of time just walking in the gardens too.

kittiewhirl1677 10-14-2003 08:26 PM

I think I would be... Arwen. Although you would call me a perfectionist, picking the most brilliant, beautiful, and interesting of the two, I still say Arwen for all those reasons. It's a hard choice because Eowyn is so brave, and she's a shield-maiden after all. I guess I just have a bigger liking for Arwen.

Sillabub 10-15-2003 12:52 PM

Oh this is easy. I'd rather be Eowyn anyday!
Well, maaaybe Arwen because she gets to become queen of Gondor...Hmph. Aethelwine, Good luck on learning old english! Araathwen, I agree with you completely. And kittygirl02, I feel for ya, hang in there!

Anyhow, Despite the fact that I reallly like the elves, I could never be one myself. I doubt I'd be a numenorean either, but that has no relovence. And Faramir is cool, despite the fact that I turn green at the thought of marrying him...

LainaValinor 10-16-2003 12:32 AM

Arwen, without a doubt.
While Eowyn remains high in my esteem, and I think that she is a remarkable, courageous character, I cannot but choose Arwen. My reason, quite simply, is the love factor. She gives up everything (and this includes all the garden-strolling and laments and songs and other sundry Elvish pursuits) that she has known in order to stay with Aragorn. I admire this absolute love, and I can only think it would be an amazing love to experience.

That and I *really* want pointy ears.
Oh. And Aragorn's pretty...well... yeah. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Arwen1858 10-16-2003 02:22 AM

LainaValinor, I really like what you said!! That's why I'd rather be Arwen, too. You just did a really good job of putting it into words. Oh, and welcome to the 'Downs!!

I like Eowyn a lot, but there are several reasons I'd rather be Arwen.
  • To get to live in Rivendell and Lothlorien!!That would be so wonderful!!
  • She's an elf. (well, half-elven. Close enough.) I absolutely love the elves!
  • I'd love to have pointy ears!!
  • Her love for Aragorn. Their story is so beautiful! She gave up so much to be with the one she loved.
  • I also would rather marry Aragorn than Faramir.

Elennar Starfire 10-17-2003 12:29 PM

Hmmm, this is a hard question. If I could choose any race to be, I would be an elf, but my personality is more like Eowyn's. I would like to be a mix between the two, but if I had to choose one, I would be Eowyn.