The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Yet another quote that wasn't (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4302)

HerenIstarion 02-25-2004 12:15 AM

Nice try, but no cylindrical smoking thing. Attend to the fact that 'this high' bears positive implications, and Sam in Lorine, in fact, should be afraid of sleeping 'this high",

HerenIstarion 03-21-2004 04:41 AM

another hint, like it - the speaker is not human

btw, Evisse, is that C.S.Lewis quote in your sig, perchance?

The Saucepan Man 03-21-2004 06:18 PM

Gwaihir perchance?

Might it be the Lord of the Eagles, high in his Eyrie, commenting upon the commotion caused by the Goblins and Wargs who had trapped Gandalf, Bilbo, Thorin and co in the trees just east of the Misty Mountains?

Quote:

What is all this uproar in the forest tonight? One cannot sleep even this high what with all that noise.

HerenIstarion 03-21-2004 11:57 PM

cylindrical smoking thing :), that's indeed Lord of the Eagles. Over to you

The Saucepan Man 03-22-2004 07:24 PM

Thank you, HI. :)

This one should be fairly easy, I think:

Quote:

Indeed by rejecting such counsels, he may show his love for you the more.

HerenIstarion 03-23-2004 01:35 AM

Can it referr to Aragonr's decision to ride the Paths of the Dead? Probably said by Eomer to Eowyn...

The Saucepan Man 03-23-2004 07:53 AM

No, but Eomer is relevant to the (non-)quote ...

HerenIstarion 03-24-2004 12:27 AM

Than counel-giver should be Theoden. hum, gotta think about it a bit more...

Evisse the Blue 03-24-2004 07:01 AM

Quote:

btw, Evisse, is that C.S.Lewis quote in your sig, perchance?
Nope, it's Merry the Hobbit. ;)

Is it Gandalf to Theoden about Eomer rejecting Wormtongue's counsels?

The Saucepan Man 03-24-2004 07:39 AM

That's the one, Evisse. :)

Evisse the Blue 03-25-2004 10:57 AM

Thank you. :) Next up: (I'll hint if needed):

"I am of like mind. It is their luck and our evil fortune that it is not day. But still it may prove the best such as it is.

HerenIstarion 03-26-2004 07:43 AM

Could it possibly be Gandalf to Thorin concerning sheltering in a cave on a High Pass?:

Quote:

This won't do at all!" said Thorin. "If we don't get blown off or drowned, or struck by lightning, we shall be picked up by some giant and kicked sky-high for a football.
I am of like mind. It is their luck and our evil fortune that it is not day. But still it may prove the best such as it is. Well, if you know of anywhere better, take us there
a bit grubby, perhaps, but worth a try?

Evisse the Blue 03-26-2004 10:53 AM

sorry, that's not it. Shall I hint? I think I will: it's a conersation between two warriors.

HerenIstarion 03-27-2004 01:59 AM

May it be Eomer to Aragorn in the Helm;s deep (just before thay come out for a sortie?)

Evisse the Blue 03-29-2004 05:41 AM

You're right!

Yes, that's the one. more precisely after Aragorn says: 'Would that day were here and we may ride down upon them like a storm out of the mountains"

Shamelessly off-topic: Congrats Russia at the World Skating Champs! :)

HerenIstarion 03-29-2004 05:51 AM

off topic re: do people congratulate Irish upon Englishman winning a title?

(thanks nevertheless ;))

next up:

Quote:

I should not pop up and down in a way he does, what with his age in mind and everything. What is he excited about, anyway?

Evisse the Blue 03-29-2004 06:04 AM

(right, sorry, point taken. lol! great comparison there...

Is it Frodo and Sam when first seeing Tom Bombadil?

HerenIstarion 03-29-2004 06:11 AM

pas de quois, mademoiselle :)

Hum, in terms of time and space, it was a lot earlier and a lot to the East :)

Evisse the Blue 04-03-2004 08:39 AM

gracious as always, HI :)

Maybe a bit of a stretch but...It could be the dwarves about Bilbo when he was fussing over his plates and running to and fro from one to the other trying to keep his plates from being broken.

HerenIstarion 04-03-2004 02:05 PM

a bit too early

Well, Bilbo was not that old than, after all. And you forgot about 'a bit to the east' too. The one to be referred to is called 'fellow' in the actual quote immediately preceeding the non-existent one :)

HerenIstarion 04-10-2004 06:14 AM

more hints, than:

1. Naming dwarves and BIlbo you hit quite close
2. Look through final chapters of the Hobbit for it

:)

Evisse the Blue 04-10-2004 08:55 AM

A-ha!

It must be Bilbo to Thorin about that thrush:
Quote:

the old fellow seems very excited.I should not pop up and down in a way he does, what with his age in mind and everything. What is he excited about, anyway?

Hmmm, I think I discovered something interesting: you have a tendency to pick a lot of quotes from this particular chapter 15 of The Hobbit. :)

HerenIstarion 04-10-2004 12:44 PM

yes, certainly :)

pray proceed

edit: hum? Chater 15, is it? Honestly, it is unconscious... it was not me, I was set up, I ain't done it...

But if it is really the case, than you have additional tool to guess out my questions, eh? :D

Evisse the Blue 04-13-2004 09:07 AM

i love this game (V)

Who did not speak this and when?
Quote:

Such sadness as is strange to us Elves.

HerenIstarion 04-19-2004 04:05 AM

A number of people may have had uttered it on number of occasions. Would you narrow it up a bit, please? :)

Evisse the Blue 04-20-2004 03:51 AM

Ok -
1. the word sadness is mentioned in the previous sentence
2. it's from LOTR

HerenIstarion 04-21-2004 01:22 AM

ah, that helps :)

May it be Legolas upon hearing the song of the Rohirrim?

Quote:

That, I guess, is the language of the Rohirrim,' said Legolas; 'for it is like to this land itself; rich and rolling in part, and else hard and stern as the mountains. But I cannot guess what it means, save that it is laden with the sadness of Mortal Men.Such sadness as is strange to us Elves.

Evisse the Blue 04-22-2004 06:23 AM

You are correct, sir! :)

HerenIstarion 04-22-2004 06:39 AM

on we go, than :)

Quote:

Green they were and pleasant, and now lie bare and empty, and no merry sound stirs this dreadful silence

Evisse the Blue 04-26-2004 01:48 AM

Tom Bombadil about the barrows?

HerenIstarion 04-26-2004 02:01 AM

Nope :)

I'm going to become self-plagiarist with reagard to hints. So the hint runs again as:

Quote:

Hum, in terms of time and space, it was a lot earlier and a lot to the East

radagastly 04-28-2004 08:35 AM

If I may venture a guess . . .
It may be Thorin from The Hobbit speaking of the desolation of Smaug as they approached the Lonely Mountain in the chapter "On the Doorstep".

Quote:

The land about them grew bleak and barren, though once, as Thorin told them, it had been green and fair.
"Green they were and pleasant, and now lie bare and empty, and no merry sound stirs this dreadful silence."

HerenIstarion 04-28-2004 10:53 PM

near hit

It's not a ten mark, but nine and a half for sure :). Try to narrow it just a bit (Non existent quotes are usually extensions of direct quotes)

radagastly 04-29-2004 07:17 AM

Then perhaps it's Balin, from the next page:

Quote:

"There lies all that is left of Dale," said Balin. "The mountain's sides were green with woods and all the sheltered valley rich and pleasant in the days when the bells rang in that town"
"Green they were and pleasant, and now lie bare and empty, and no merry sound stirs this dreadful silence."

Is that what you had in mind?

HerenIstarion 05-02-2004 10:40 PM

Exactly :) Over to you

radagastly 05-03-2004 07:45 AM

To me then, though this is a little harder than I thought. I will hint as necessary:

Quote:

"Three-score and eighteen winters have come since that place was laid bare, if only for a little."
I hope that's not too easy, or too hard. It's hard to tell.

HerenIstarion 05-03-2004 08:06 AM

May it be Haldir to Frodo about Dol-Guldur? Since Sauron declared himself at Barad-Dur in T.A. 2951, and Frodo was visiting Lorien in T.A. 3019 that may be the case:

Quote:

There lies the fastness of Southern Mirkwood,' said Haldir. `It is clad in a forest of dark fir, where the trees strive one against another and their branches rot and wither. In the midst upon a stony height stands Dol Guldur, where long the hidden Enemy had his dwelling. Three-score and eighteen winters have come since that place was laid bare, if only for a little We fear that now it is inhabited again, and with power sevenfold

radagastly 05-03-2004 09:09 AM

Well, I guess that didn't take that long. You're dead on. Back to you.

HerenIstarion 05-04-2004 12:22 AM

Well, not that easy, but a bit of scanning through Tale of Years did the trick

Next one up:

Quote:

Bid him hasten, so he may come hither in a short while.

radagastly 05-05-2004 09:57 AM

I think you're trying to trick us. Could this be from the Council of Elrond? Gandalf quoting Radagast quoting Saruman:

" 'Saruman the White,' answered Radagast. 'And he told me to say that if you feel the need, he will help; but you must seek his aid at once, or it will be too late.' "
"--Bid him hasten, so he may come hither in a short while."