The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Orcrist (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12726)

deal_with_it 03-31-2006 08:48 PM

Orcrist

Why didn't Dain use Orcrist during the Battle of Dale or loan it to Gimli for the Quest?

Is it some sort of Dwarven ritual? Thorin wouldn't have cared. He's dead.

alatar 03-31-2006 09:11 PM

I would say that there are two reasons for leaving Orcrist, "Biter," where it lay. First, as many peoples and races honored their dead by burying them with the dead's possessions and beloved artifacts, like Thorin with his sword and the Arkenstone, one doesn't then wait a while to take the objects back from the dead. Also, my guess is that these magical and great items have to be 'lost,' or there would be nothing fun to look for in later ages (plus you don't want a First Age weapon on the streets during the Fifth Age...).

I cannot see Dain or his folk to be so desperate as to desecrate the tomb of their 'father' just for the use of a sword.

Welcome to the Downs.

Eonwe 04-01-2006 02:41 PM

If I recall correctly, its broken in the Battle of Five Armies. Perhaps there was not skill to reforge it?

Thinlómien 04-01-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eonwe
If I recall correctly, its broken in the Battle of Five Armies. Perhaps there was not skill to reforge it?

I can't check right now, but I think it wasn't.

deal_with_it 04-01-2006 08:44 PM

The Goblin Cleaver

I never heard it was broken, but I may be wrong :) I just wasn't sure (if it was whole) whether or not it was buried with THorin or not. If it was I could see not digging it up, but in a life threatening situation I might take that chance.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp

"The sword of Thorin Oakenshield, discovered by him in a troll-hoard on his journey to Erebor, and buried with him after his death in the Battle of Five Armies.

Notes
1 Exactly what happened to Orcrist at Thorin's funeral isn't completely clear. The Hobbit tells us that the sword was placed by Thranduil 'upon his tomb', and that it 'gleamed ever in the dark if foes approached' (The Hobbit 18, The Return Journey). These quotes seem to suggest that Orcrist wasn't actually buried with Thorin, but instead just laid on his tomb.

In The Lord of the Rings, there's a suggestion that this may have changed. We are told there that Orcrist '...lay now upon the breast of Thorin...' (The Fellowship of the Ring II 3, The Ring Goes South). This seems to suggest that the sword was actually placed within Thorin's tomb, and not just placed on it, though this text is admittedly ambiguous."

Eonwe 04-02-2006 11:32 AM

Hmm, I seem have a propensity for making things up... :rolleyes:

Elu Ancalime 04-02-2006 06:41 PM

Quote:

These quotes seem to suggest that Orcrist wasn't actually buried with Thorin, but instead just laid on his tomb.
In all seriousness (well...a little humor) what if it fell off? :confused: :rolleyes:

Its another one of those slip of Tolkiens from transferring information from series to series. My guess is that Tolkien meant it to be placed on his tomb, then rather on his chest. Like was aforestated. He would have meant for whatever was written in The Hobbit to stand, since for one he wrote it first. Perhaps!
________
Chrysler lebaron

Rumil 04-08-2006 08:22 AM

I guess one benefit of leaving orcrist on top of Thorin's tomb was that the Dwarves could tell if orcs were close to the Lonely Mountain by the gleam from the sword (as for Sting), and so avoid being surprised.

I'd imagine some sort of very solemn duty guard of dwarven soldiers guarding the tomb of Thorin and able to raise the alarm if Orcrist lit up, must have been exceptionally boring!

The Sixth Wizard 04-29-2006 09:02 PM

I'm sure it's just a thing that they do with their kings, I mean Boromir wasn't that important and the Horn of Gondor went with him to the sea.

lathspell 05-12-2006 10:24 AM

The actual quote from the Hobbit runs thus:

Quote:

Actually is was some days before Bilbo really set out. They buried Thorin deep beneath the mountain, and Bard laid the Arkenstone upon his breast.
"There let it lie till the mountain falls!" he said. "May it bring good fortune to all his folk that dwell hereafter!"
Upon his tomb the elvenking then laid Orcrist, the elvish sword that had been taken from Thorin in captivity. It is said in songs that it gleamed ever in the dark if foes approached and the fortress of the dwarves could not be taken by surprise.
So it seems clear that the Arkenstone was lain upon his breast by Bard. Thranduil did indeed lay Orcrist on his tomb. Another point is the rumour about the songs in which it was said that Orcrist gleamed if foes approached the mountain. I mean, why sing anything like it if you can't see the blade anyway? It is, I think, a heartening thought after all the dealings with Smaug that you wouldn't have to worry anymore about such things, because if another Dragon came from the north the sword would gleam. Wether the story is true... who knows?

Now, back to the original question of this thread. Why didn't Dain fight with Orcrist?
If I remember correctly, in mythology dwarves generally are very reluctant to use one another's tools. There most beloved tools for crafting or weapons in battle were therefore not lightly used by another dwarf. I do not know if Tolkien used this dwarven characteristic in his books, but it might be. Then Dain wouldn't have taken Orcrist from Thorin's tomb, unless he had no other choice.
Another reason could be that what Orcrist was for Thorin, Dain's axe was for him. It is said in UT that Dain wielded his axe with great power. Maybe he had a greater power when fighting with his axe then with Thorin's sword. It is like Aragorn and Anduril. Anyone can carry Anduril and stab an orc with it, but Aragorn is the only one who van actually wield the power of the sword.

greetings,
lathspell