The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Copy-Cat Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4215)

Gayalondiel 04-10-2002 02:21 PM

oh no, i have to find another? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

ok, how about
Quote:

...was an Elven-king
the (...) is NOT the same both times. Once its a name,once its a few words. sorry its poor, i'm running out [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 10, 2002: Message edited by: Gayalondiel ]

Gwaihir 05-25-2002 12:37 PM

I can see it's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread, but I've just wandered in and I think I know that quote,
Quote:

...was an Elven king
Sam says it once, "Gil-galad was an Elven king...", singing The Fall of Gil-galad. I think Legolas says it again when he's singing in Lothlorien "...Of old he was an Elven king..."

merlilot 06-25-2002 11:55 AM

Yeah, you are right, but you probably need to wait for the questioner to answer you... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Sigh. *hugs Pippin* poor guy ... in a trance and all! *hugs him again* Who else thinks Pippin needs hugs? (Like after throwing the rock down the well and everyone is so mean to him?)

Gwaihir 06-25-2002 12:51 PM

Well, he's been gone a while... What's that rule? Wait one week? I think it's been long enough so I'm going to post the next one, hope that's ok. I've seen this quote about six times in the book and two of them are obvious, so... I'd say find three or four and then you can have a turn.

Quote:

They are coming

By the way, you're right. Pippin goes through alot more than he's given credit for. Imagine the guilt after Gandalf falls...

merlilot 06-25-2002 07:36 PM

Awwwwwwwww.....*hugs Pippin again* We know you didn't mean to be so clumsy and goofy!

Ummm, I know it was written in the Record-book (does that count?), and if I am not mistaken, Gandalf and Gimli say it immediately before the Company is attacked.

Gwaihir 06-26-2002 04:11 AM

Right, it was in the book and that counts as a quote because Gandalf reads it out loud. Also, after he finishes reading, when they hear the drums, Legolas and Gimli repeat it (I know you said Gandalf and Gimli, but I'm pretty sure you were thinking of this). Those were the two obvious ones I was talking about, can you find any more?

merlilot 06-26-2002 02:23 PM

Gimme a hint: were the other quotes in the same chapter?
And yes, I was thinking Legolas.

Gwaihir 06-27-2002 06:47 AM

Well, it was said lots of times... Though as far as I know none of them were in the same chapter as the ones you found. Lets see... I can think of one or two times when they say it in The Two Towers, and at least one in Return of the King... Here's a hint, in RotK they say it in rejoice. I hope that helps.

merlilot 06-27-2002 09:52 AM

ok, "They are coming"

Gandalf reads it from the Book of Mazarbul
Legolas says it when they hear feet coming
Orcs from Isengard taunt the Northerners, sayin "They're coming!" as all the Orcs run, with Merry and Pippin in tow.

I can't find the one in ROTK...Is this enough?

Gwaihir 06-28-2002 07:07 AM

I guess that's enough. I seem to remember them saying it at Helm's Deep but I haven't checked on that one, so I didn't count it. They also say it in RotK when Pippin and Bergil (is that the kids name?) are watching the riders come in the chapter Minas Tirith. I think it's said again at some point, but I can't remember right now. Good job!

merlilot 06-28-2002 10:27 AM

After all that work, I pass...I can't find any, but I am not looking hard enough, I guess. Someone else can go.

Lindolirian 06-28-2002 10:47 AM

Hey! You have my picture. I'm Agent Elrond!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Lostgaeriel 11-12-2002 06:04 PM

This thread has been dead a long time.

New copy-cat quote:
Quote:

So be it
said by 3 persons, that I know of.

hobbitlass 11-17-2002 12:59 PM

I can think of a ton of people but it is from the movie and that doesn't mean it was said in the book.
Give a hint before this cool game is dead again!

Lostgaeriel 11-18-2002 07:10 PM

This quote is from the book The Lord of the Rings. I found it said by three different persons. It may have been said even more times. (I think the tone of the language may be some clue.)

No more hints until someone gives it a good try. I have no problem with threads lying dorment for months. A thread is not really dead unless the last question has been answered and no one has asked a new question. Six days is hardly any time for a thread to lie about. Let's wait for someone who is keen enough to take the time to look up the quotes. Open your book, Hobbitlass! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

This game is supposed to be more difficult than a regular quotes game.

P.S. I never post a quote that I have not verified from the print source.

hobbitlass 11-19-2002 12:31 PM

You misunderstood me. I clearly remember Gandalf saying "so be it" in the movie when Frodo decides to go to Moria, but Gandalf did not say that in the book. At least not in that particular scene. That's why i brought up book/movie.
And yes I do open my books, I had been looking up a handful of other quotes and was tired when I got to this one. I usually answer with direct quotes or at least give background info.
And I commend you on your patience. I don't have much. And if you dont believe me than you can go to quiz room, one thing in common page 6 and see how I really messed that up for myself [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] .
I do intend to have a go with this one. I love challenges. Unless someone beats me to it. So no hard feelings I hope [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] .

Lostgaeriel 11-23-2002 08:30 PM

Sorry about my previous reply, hobbitlass. I misunderstood your meaning completely.

I would give you a hint, but I can't think of a hint that won't just give the answer away. Wait! This isn't much help, maybe, but there's no need to look in The Two Towers for any of the 3 instances of the quote:
Quote:

So be it

hobbitlass 11-24-2002 07:21 AM

Actually, that helps much because that's where I've been looking. And I still am. Remember, I never said I was quick in finding answers though! Let us not be hasty. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Thank you for the clue.

hobbitlass 11-24-2002 08:21 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes! I finally found them, at least two of them. Here goes...
Quote:

"...Ghan-buri-Ghan will not lead you into trap. He will go himself with father of Horse-men, and if he leads you wrong, you will kill him."
"So be it!" said Theoden.
AND
Quote:

Boromir looked at them doubtfully, but he bowed his head. "So be it", he said. "Then in Gondor we must trust to such weapons as we have."

Lostgaeriel 11-26-2002 06:10 PM

Ooh! hobbitlass! You found one I didn't recall - BONUS MARKS for Théoden. For that I give you the victory.

If you want to add to your fame & glory, there are two (or more?) to go. The two I'm thinking of are together and they're related [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] to your second quote.

Well, hobbitlass, to save you rifling through the book - the other 2 instances I found were Denethor & Faramir as the Captain of Ithilien reported to the Steward of Gondor in The Siege of Gondor.

[ December 09, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]

hobbitlass 12-04-2002 06:50 AM

Quote:

for a little while
both times are said in RotK

hobbitlass 01-02-2003 07:07 AM

It has almost been a full month, so I suppose a hint should be given.

Person #2 said it to person #1 as a reply to what person #1 said.
Then person #1 kind of repeats the dialogue at person #2's gravesite.

Or you can read copy-cat of copy-cat because this had already been done. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It's hard coming up with one and then having two threads going. Oh well. Did not mean to be a copy-cat ijn that way [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: hobbitlass ]

Russandol 01-23-2003 04:06 PM

I shall pick this thread up again if you don't mind Hobbitlass [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

There is another instance of that quote in ROTK ...

Quote:

Boromir it was that drove the enemy at last back from this western shore, and we hold still the near half of Osgiliath. For a little while. But we await now a new onslaught there.
Beregond to Pippin in the embrasure of the sixth circle of Minas Tirith

And of course the two you were referring to:

Quote:

'As a father you shall be to me,' said Merry.
'For a little while,' said Theoden
&

Quote:

'Théoden King, Théoden King! Farewell! As a father you were to me. for a little while. Farewell!'
I am sure there are quite probably others that I've overlooked .. it's a common enough phrase .. I wanted to revive this thread as copy-cats are good at making you flick through your books again !

hobbitlass 01-24-2003 05:51 AM

Ah! It has re-awakened. Very good, your turn.

Russandol 01-24-2003 06:26 AM

Agh .. what did I do ... a madness took me, but it has passed ... come baaaaack !!!

Hmm .. this is a torment chasing up for these things .. right, here's mine

This is just for LOTR and I've found it twice and if there are more instances, I'll stand corrected ....

Quote:

Time is short.

eleanor_niphredil 01-24-2003 11:07 AM

First time:

Quote:

"I have stayed already to long," answered Gandalf "time is short. but if there were a year to spend, I would not tell you all."
second time was Gandalf again:

Quote:

"On Shadowfax! We must hasten. Time is short. see! the beacons of Gondor are alight"
Ta da!

[ January 24, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]

Russandol 01-24-2003 04:25 PM

Have a cigar Eleanor!!

Your turn now .... muahahaha [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

eleanor_niphredil 01-25-2003 04:38 AM

Dont mind if I do. How about this one?

Quote:

I've made up my mind.
Shouldnt be to hard...

Galadriel55 11-18-2010 10:06 PM

I think that's Aragorn to Gili and Legolas when deciding whether to keep up the chase or take a break during the night. I don't recall any different occasion, though. Gandalf in Moria when deciding which way to go, perhaps?