The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Character Trivia (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4126)

Thinlómien 03-21-2007 12:49 AM

His name is Pyökkiluu in Finnish but I can't recall it in English... Something like "Beechbone"?

The Might 03-21-2007 07:56 AM

Pyökkiluu it is

Thinlómien 03-22-2007 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might
Pyökkiluu it is

:D

Well then. (By the way I had to check what he was in English and I was right about Beechbone... but I assume you all knew that already... :rolleyes: )

The next one:

Who had two birds as pets?

The Might 03-23-2007 07:51 AM

Good question.
I have been thinking, and thinking, and thinking and 20 seconds ago it came to me suddently.
Erendis received two birds as a gift and later let them go.

Thinlómien 03-26-2007 05:19 AM

Yes, you're right. Please take the thread. :D

The Might 03-26-2007 07:08 AM

Who was said to have lead the Silvan Elves of Lorien in the War of the Last Alliance?

Macalaure 03-26-2007 07:21 AM

I think this was Amdir/Malgalad.

The Might 03-26-2007 07:29 AM

Malgalad indeed

Macalaure 03-26-2007 07:31 AM

Thanks!

Who denied Arvedui the Kingship over Gondor?

The Might 03-26-2007 07:40 AM

Pelendur

Macalaure 03-26-2007 08:00 AM

..and back to you it goes. :)

The Might 03-26-2007 09:22 AM

Ok...What other folk were the Dunlendings closely related to?

Dimturiel 03-26-2007 11:26 AM

I know! The Dead Men of Dunharrow.

The Might 03-26-2007 11:37 AM

Correct
And I'll reward you by posting this new Estelyn smiley I just noticed: :Merisu:

Dimturiel 03-27-2007 11:44 AM

Heh, thanks, that's cute. :Merisu:
Ok, so tell me who were Thorin's nephews?

The Might 03-27-2007 03:41 PM

Fili and Kili right?

Dimturiel 03-28-2007 11:41 AM

Right. Do go on.

The Might 03-28-2007 12:42 PM

Who threw down his crown?

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-28-2007 01:19 PM

Wasn't it Fingon?

The Might 03-28-2007 01:58 PM

No

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-28-2007 02:25 PM

Oh, sorry. First, I meant Finrod :D Second, I now became to think it was actually Orodreth. Is any of these two correct? :)

The Might 03-28-2007 02:48 PM

Finrod is

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-28-2007 03:05 PM

Ah, so indeed. I knew only it was someone who did that because he had enough of Celegorm&Curufin, so...

Okay, another one. Who dwelt in a city which was named the same as his father? (I hope this is understandable)

The Might 03-28-2007 03:35 PM

What does city mean...a big settlement?

Gil-Galad 03-28-2007 06:38 PM

Orodreth, Gondors 16th steward and ruler of Minas Tirith in Gondor was named after Orodreth, brother of Finrod, who was in charge of the first Minas Tirith in Beleriand

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-29-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might
What does city mean...a big settlement?

Yes, a big settlement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
Orodreth, Gondors 16th steward and ruler of Minas Tirith in Gondor was named after Orodreth, brother of Finrod, who was in charge of the first Minas Tirith in Beleriand

Oh, this is why I wrote that I hope the question is understandable. Let me use what Gil-Galad wrote as an example: if Orodreth the Steward was to be correct answer, then he would have to live in a city not named Minas Tirith, but in a city named "Belecthor I." (this was his father). :D

The Might 03-29-2007 06:47 AM

I asked because I found the members of the Gamwhich family in the Shire that lived in the village with the same name...but it's not a city I guess

Anyway, what about Hama, son of Helm Hammerhand
He followed his father to the Hornburg and died during the winter, afterwards the city was named after his father

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-29-2007 06:52 AM

But he died at that time, right? So he didn't live in Helm's deep when it was named the same as his father, only before, when it was not named at all.
And, he didn't live there... quite the opposite, actually :rolleyes:

Gil-Galad 03-29-2007 07:32 AM

well i meant Father, as more of a analogy to the past, like in memory, not of the maternal sense, as the line of stewards(at least i think so) was connected to the royal family of Numenor which was connected to the Elven royal family.

So with Orodreth the elf being lord of the first Minas Tirith and Orodreth the man being lord of the second Minas Tirith, i just saw the connection there. if the grammar was changed in the question, like adding a comma after city, then this anwser would make more sense

Legate of Amon Lanc 03-30-2007 06:39 AM

Yes, but there is no comma and the question is far simpler than that, though it shows really constructive "riddler" thinking. Try something else :)

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-12-2007 04:18 PM

Okay, a hint time maybe...

The original question was:

Who dwelt in a city which was named the same as his father?

We agreed on that "city"stands for a "big settlement" here.

Now, here's the hint:

This "city"'s name had two parts, while one of them was the name and the second had the meaning of "city" or something like that. Like, for example:

Port Sauron

or

Aragornsville

Hope this helps. I don't want to see threads dead! :)

The Might 04-12-2007 04:36 PM

I would have said Ephel Brandir, but he had no sons...and it wasn't that big

Maybe Meneldil...Minas Anor/Anarion
I know it's not good, but I can't seem to find anything else.

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-12-2007 04:42 PM

Good attempts, nice attempts... though it is still not what I'm looking for.
This - "city" - is not necessarily named after the person's father. This is why I formulated my question the way I did - because I don't know about any evidence that it was named after him. It is the same name, though, so there probably is a connection, but as far as I know, Tolkien didn't write anywhere explicitely about any connection (like "X came and named this city after his father").
I might also add that the father never visited that "city" (unless you deduced that from the question, because otherwise I'd simply say "who lived in a city named the same as him").
Oh, and the name is exact. So no Minas Anor/Anárion, in that case it would really be "Minas Anárion".

Gil-Galad 04-12-2007 10:54 PM

Dol Amroth?

Imrahil's bloodline was said to be mixed with elvish blood of Amroth, of which the city is named after

thats all i got

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-13-2007 12:45 AM

No, Amroth was not Imrahil's father, as far as I know. This is really name of a real biological father of the person who dwelt there.

The Might 04-13-2007 02:37 AM

:mad: I can't believe it was right there before me all this time and I didn't see it, now I realise the question wasn't that hard, you just had to have a good memory with the names.

Celeborn lived in Caras Galadhon, and his father was also called Galadhon

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-13-2007 05:15 AM

Very good, very good! Once again you proved your good knowledge of obscure matters like names of Celeborn's family members... :cool:

Eagerly awaiting your next question. Though, I have still yet to answer the one at the Verbal Reasoning thread... ;)

Rune Son of Bjarne 04-13-2007 06:05 AM

I was going to object because I thought you had said somewhere that it was man. . .in a way so that it looked like you were talking about the race of men, but it seems that it was not the case. I must just have been really tired then.

Anyways I am quite annoyed now, because I spend over 2 hours searching for the answer last night and totaly messed up my sleep. I quicly found the possible cities, but non of them made any sense, because I was only looking to the race of men.

Legate of Amon Lanc 04-13-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
I was going to object because I thought you had said somewhere that it was man. . .in a way so that it looked like you were talking about the race of men, but it seems that it was not the case. I must just have been really tired then.

Anyways I am quite annoyed now, because I spend over 2 hours searching for the answer last night and totaly messed up my sleep. I quicly found the possible cities, but non of them made any sense, because I was only looking to the race of men.

Oh, really sorry, Rune... Though I really think I didn't write anywhere that it should be a Man... not even anything implying it...

Well, possibly you should follow a paraphrase of Boro's signature: "For your health, sanity and good sleep, please read carefully the thread."

Rune Son of Bjarne 04-13-2007 06:24 AM

I think it has more to do with bring tired than not reading through the thread carefully enough. . . This took place at 5-7 am