The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   In Memoriam - Quote Graveyard (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4595)

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-13-2004 08:09 PM

Can any mortal stop him?

That question continues to haunt you as you walk towards a derelict monastery near the graveyard. There, you find a library. Books were kept there that were almost untouched by the passage of time. You pass through the shelves, looking for the proper book. Upon seeing it, you took it, brushed off the dust, and read the cover.

"Of the Random Quoter. 'tis the proper one!"

You turn to the next page, and read.

"A Barrowdowner liked too much quotes, and cannot decide which one to choose. So he created the Random Non-LotR Beast, to chew on quotes and dispense of them soon thereafter. But the beast went berserk, and took its master.

"Now the monster waxes in might each day, as it consumes more sigs from every source possible: sometimes from other Barrowdowners...and, rarely, even from its master..."

You hear a dull thud and, from the window, you see quotes, freshly killed by the beast. Sometimes from other Barrowdowners, you repeat to yourself. Even from its master...

16) "So does that mean I can just stand here and look hot?" Gorwingel, Barrowdowner.

17) "Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor." Elizabeth I, Queen of England.

18) "Father of the exploding Fire-Elf." Finwe, Barrowdowner.

19) "Merry is the gayest of all hobbits." Dominic Monaghan, TRL.

20) "Sadly, one fact of life is that waiting slows time down. Am I right, people?"

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:54 AM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-13-2004 08:16 PM

Oh, yeah. I forgot. My former avatar...

http://www3.telus.net/~nfield/ChipChallenge/chip.jpg

My old avatar whose name was Chip.
Here now will you rest; have a nice trip.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:41 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]

Ainaserkewen 01-14-2004 02:21 PM

Oh Nilpaurion, I used to play that game to no end. Sadly, I lost the disk and never retrieved the game. My sister and I used to try and outdo each other in levels. Brings back memories.

Nuranar 01-14-2004 07:46 PM

I liked The Pirates of Penzance quote, and it's still so fun to sing, especially with three brothers to join in (bass, baritone, and tenor-rapidly-deepening-to-bass, respectively).

Quote:

For I am a Pirate King! And it is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King!
For I am a Pirate King! Hurrah for the Pirate King, hurrah, for the Piraaaaaaate King!
We can make an awful lot of noise, especially with a rousing song like that. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

But I get tired of too much silliness, at least when it's the same in my profile for too long, and especially when I've got something better. My next is from "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields," one of the most lyrical prose passages I've ever seen, and which last entranced me in the Kiev, Ukraine, metro. It takes something awesome to distract one from swaying and jerking in a subway. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-14-2004 11:57 PM

Wow...a Chip player. What's your best score? Did you finish it. Will I ever stop asking you? Oh, wait...

--------------------

You turn back to the book at hand, and flip the pages furiously. Is it here? you ask. Then suddenly, you stop, and read:

"How to kill the Random Non-LotR Beast:"

OK, then... you think, and continue:

"'Switch it off.' That's it?"

A loud groan comes from outside. Fearing the worst, you grab a broomstick(good choice... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), and furtively creep to the door.

"That's it! 29's all I can take!" said a voice.

"Y-you're the creator of the Random Non-LotR Beast! I thought you were dead!"

"Nah," said the fickle Downer. "But the 'Random Non-LotR Quote' thing is...I think I found myself a nice, new, permanent(I hope) sig for myself."

--------------------

"So, that was it?" an irate reader demanded.

21) "Patience is not only a virtue, but a job description."

22) "How many hobbits can fit in a bottle of Worcestershire sauce?"

23) "Familiarity breeds contempt, and children." Mark Twain, mortal.

24) "It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it" Robert E. Lee, mortal.

25) "Common sense is not so common." Pastor Dennis Heppner, mortal.

26) "I intend to live forever - so far, so good." Turambar, Barrowdowner.

27) "The worst thing at being an atheist is feeling a deep sense of gratitude and not knowing who to thank." Philip Yancey, mortal.

28) "More beer!" Lush, Barrowdowner.

29) "Semel insanivimus omnes." That's Latin. It means, "What kind of dumb-cluck do you take me for?" Chanticleer, The Canterbury Tales.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:28 AM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]

Mariska Greenleaf 01-15-2004 06:37 AM

Quote:

A cynic is someone who - when smelling flowers - looks around and expects to find a coffin.
RIP.

Ainaserkewen 01-15-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Wow...a Chip player. What's your best score? Did you finish it. Will I ever stop asking you? Oh, wait...
Indeed. I think I was up in the 70s for levels. Does it ever end!?!

Quote:

"More beer!" Lush, Barrowdowner.
Ah, Lush. Will your words ever be forgotten?

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-15-2004 11:25 PM

It "officially" ends at 144...but there's 5 more levels, so it's 149.

And now, I unveil my new sig here!

Quote:

Fix spot on monitor and stare...
Why are you reading this signature? Only weirdos read signatures! If you want to read signatures go look for a logbook.

Goldberry 01-16-2004 11:40 AM

It's time for me to say farewell to my sig and bring in a new one....goodbye, Mazer Rackham!

Quote:

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Pyroclastic 01-19-2004 12:23 AM

I am pleased to announce that I've been here at The Barrows not only long enough to call them The Barrows, but long enough to change signatures. Actually, I finally bothered to find an avatar, (I'm a Barrowdowns freak, why fight it), and needed a new sig to accomodate for the necessary appreciation link.

Nilpaurion, I swear I had not seen your new sig when I thought this one up five minutes ago. I looked at yours and thought, "Hey, I'm not as original as I thought I was! How disappointing!" Actually, I find it facinating that I'm not alone in my thinking.

Let's take a moment to remember those that have passed, and reflect upon our most recent loss:
Quote:

"That's a really ugly hat you're wearing."
"I'm not wearing a hat."
Thank you for your thoughts. My former sig will be much missed. By me.

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-19-2004 08:19 PM

Quote:

Nilpaurion, I swear I had not seen your new sig when I thought this one up five minutes ago. I looked at yours and thought, "Hey, I'm not as original as I thought I was! How disappointing!"
I'm not as original as you think, too. My sig was made from modified lines found in "Gilmore Girls," which are:

Quote:

[Rory: ] Fix spot on carpet and stare...
Quote:

[Emily: ] Why are you outside? Only animals eat outside! If you want to eat outside go hunt a gazelle.
Yes, I love the "Gilmore Girls."

Later days! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
->Elenrod

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:25 PM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-21-2004 08:15 PM

http://img-greenbooks.theonering.net...03_lego_th.jpg

My old avatar; Legolly Blonde.
Well it's a good thing his name is not "Bond"

EDIT: My new avatar is Augusta Ada Byron, the Countess of Lovelace. Which is not working...*resigned sigh*...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:30 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]

Rilwen Gamgee 01-24-2004 07:38 PM

Namarie, siggy:

Quote:

"Why are they called 'cookies' if you bake them?"
Ah, the wonderful quote provided by my sister... It makes a very good point, but if I kept adding more, my signature would get to long. So, here may you rest in peace! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Elennar Starfire 01-25-2004 03:54 PM

Dai stiho...

Quote:

At least the lettuce didn't answer her back... Of course, the fact that it hadn't suggested that it should have been in the compost heap several days ago.
<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:24 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]

Aylwen Dreamsong 01-25-2004 04:27 PM

My old sig:

Quote:

You cannot choose your battlefield/ The Lord does that for you...
But you can plant a standard/ Where a standard never flew...
Farewell. Oh, and to this:

Quote:

Ah, Lush. Will your words ever be forgotten?
Doubt it... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

-Aylwen

Imladris 01-25-2004 07:05 PM

Alas, I must bid farewell to Will Turner:

http://www.saber-x.com/WIP/bloomy.jpg

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:01 PM January 25, 2004: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Edit: this is also my old sig:

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys/ Painted wings and giants' rings make way for other toys...His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain... ~ "I'll sacrifice in Flames of Love for Thee"

And my new one is a quote from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." I just saw it a few days ago and the line just really stuck with me...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:58 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Elennar Starfire 01-30-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

I shine, not burn.
~*Proud member of S.A.M.!*~
Disco for Rosie, Queen of the Wave!
Namarie to these three unrelated siggies, sharing a barrow.

Lyta_Underhill 02-04-2004 12:51 AM

At last, I lay to rest a signature that has served me well for a very long time:
Quote:

"...I won't be rich, and I won't live in them cussed smothery houses. I like the woods, and the river, and hogsheads, and I'll stick to 'em, too." --Huck Finn
Somewhat earlier, I also laid to rest my "sleeping Frodo" avatar, which I think I had had even longer than the quote! I woke him up, put him in a tree and gave him a pipe and some pipeweed! Who knows, maybe I'll give him dinner one of these days! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.ardmore.net/~frodo/frodoamonhensmall.jpg

Rest well in the graveyard of the Barrowdowns! (how odd to have a secondary graveyard for those already entombed!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers!
Lyta

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:54 AM February 04, 2004: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]

Estelyn Telcontar 02-04-2004 08:01 AM

I chose a new "hope" quote for my signature, so the old one gets a decent burial here:
Quote:

His face was sad and stern because of the doom that was laid on him, and yet hope dwelt ever in the depths of his heart, from which mirth would arise at times like a spring from the rock. (JRRT)
Not without hope we suffer and we mourn. (William Wordsworth)

Alatariel 02-05-2004 10:20 AM

I think it's about time to move on to yet another Pricess Bride quote, so I will lay this one to rest.
Quote:

Vizzini: "Inconcievable!" Inigo: "You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

HerenIstarion 02-11-2004 05:05 AM

the most recent one is now laid to peace

<html><font color="red">It is the fate of all banisters worth sliding down that there is something nasty waiting at the far end.</font><html>

I will go with just my name beneath my posts for a while

Orual 02-13-2004 03:20 PM

Adeus to Brand New...

Quote:

Upon arrival the guests had all stared/Dripping wet and clearly depressed, he'd headed straight for the stairs...
Hello to Andrew Wells! I couldn't resist...I get "Angel" and LotR all in one nice, travel-sized package!

~Orual

Imladris 02-14-2004 08:13 PM

Here is another quote laid to rest, to live long and merrily and happily upon a green and black screen:

Quote:

I'd rather play poker with a gentleman who's duty it was not to cheat than with a philosopher who knew all the reasons not to cheat. -- C.S Lewis
I don't play poker myself, but the point applies to all things in life.

Cheers!
Istawen

Thorongil 02-17-2004 01:53 AM

Time to change the sig, but I leave the old one here. I took it from one of my Playstation games, it's well said:
Quote:

The only dependable thing about the future is its uncertainty.

Gorwingel 02-18-2004 02:12 AM

Goodbye Quote

Well I am finally going to say goodbye to my Viggo/Elijah quote...
Quote:

"He's mental. But in a good way!"-Elijah Wood talking about Viggo Mortensen
I have had it for a while, and it was making me look like a fangirl, so it is time for it to go. But I am going to keep the "Return of the King for Best Picture" part at least until the Oscars.

I am replacing it with a Cate Blanchett quote until I find a more suitable one :cool:

I think I may try to find a Simpsons one to go with my new Lisa avatar ;)

dancing spawn of ungoliant 02-18-2004 07:57 AM

Alas! The time has come to abandon my old quote...no hard feelings?
Quote:

It's so simple to be wise. Just Think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
-Sam Levenson
I need to get the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth...
Rest in peace.

Nilpaurion Felagund 02-18-2004 09:52 PM

Guess who's back, back again...

I plan on changing sigs again: This time I'm marketing links from them. I plan to own two to three of them, then let anyone else have it.

So, sayonara, au revoir, namarie, paalam, goodbye to this:

Quote:

Fix spot on monitor and stare...

Why are you reading this signature? Only weirdos read signatures! If you want to read signatures go look for a logbook.

Evisse the Blue 02-22-2004 02:13 PM

Laying this baby to rest

Quote:

"I go to bed late and get up late, when possible" JRR Tolkien
I'm keeping the Academy one for another week, at which point I'll either replace it with a harsher one, or with a celebratory one!

Nilpaurion, I have yet to see your new quote! This doesn't become you.:D

Nilpaurion Felagund 02-23-2004 04:36 AM

Change of plans...

shall be retained, but upon the unveiling of my sparkling new home page, this...

Quote:

I commit to Davy Jones' locker...or is it Barrow-downs' barrow? and replace it maybe with...

Quote:

I was thinking: Are you thinking? If you think I think you're thinking, then I think you shouldn't think at all.
making every occurrence of the word "think" or "thinking" a link. That makes seven links up for grabs.

Everdawn 02-24-2004 04:46 AM

R.I.P To this...

Quote:

The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train.
rest ye merry...

Elennar Starfire 02-25-2004 09:58 PM

Namarie and Navaer to this quote from the musical called Pippin.

Quote:

Morning glow, by your light, we can make the new day bright. All the phantoms of the night will fade into the past, morning glow is here at last.

Imladris 02-29-2004 08:58 PM

I was going to wait until March 1st to change my avatar and signature, but you know I was watching the Oscars and had nothing better to do, so here it is.

First of all, I changed my sig from this:

Quote:

I am, I believe, alone of all our race, the only man in human memory to have been shipwrecked and cast up upon a deserted ship.
to an old Scottish song. And the avatar was changed to the aurora lights. Yes, I changed them in honour of St. Patrick's Day. So the song's not Irish...

Former avatar:

http://joshuanitschke.saber-x.com/im...ja/avatar6.jpg

Evisse the Blue 03-01-2004 12:16 AM

Well, time to drop the sig that was untrusting of the Academy's mental abilities (Aceademy wise, I do not doubt their hearts, only the size of their brains). It seems that I was proven wrong, or that their hearts prevailed over their small brains. :D
*goes back to celebration*

Lush 03-01-2004 01:31 AM

Almost forgot this e.e. cummings gem:

Quote:

kisses are a better fate than wisdom
Agree or disagree, cummings was a charmer.

HerenIstarion 03-01-2004 02:40 AM

and to choose kisses instead of wisdom is the path of wisdom...

Rilwen Gamgee 03-02-2004 05:32 PM

I have resurected my beloved first siggy. Namarië:

Quote:

"Mom's cell phone battery died. Does that make it a 'dead ringer'?" - Dennis the Menace
Quote:

"How about 'Classical 92.5: The REAL oldies station! We’ll take you Bach and Rach-your-manin-off!'?"

Rimbaud 03-04-2004 08:54 AM

Imladris,

I recognise your old signature from Umberto Eco. Are you an appreciator? I love those books dearly. Lush, keep being wise for me.

Imladris 03-04-2004 09:06 AM

Quote:

I recognise your old signature from Umberto Eco. Are you an appreciator? I love those books dearly.
I think that when I have weeks of summer vacation ahead of me, I would appreciate it. As it was, I was only able to read it sporatically due to school and homework, and I had only gotten to page 100 and something before I realized I'd never finish it in time to return it to the library. It 's also one of those books that you have to have to read for a few hours everyday to really "get" it all in (he painted some lovely word pictures). But what I did read of it I enjoyed greatly and I plan on tackling it again (as well as the Rose one) this summer.

Cheers!
Imladris

Mad Baggins 03-07-2004 07:10 PM

Ta, darling!
Quote:

Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? Was there no communication in this car? Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?

Mariska Greenleaf 03-12-2004 09:33 AM

"Cynism is: buying a car because riding a bike is becoming so dangerous with all these cars. "

Enough Cynism! rip:smokin: