The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Kili the Romantic (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17992)

Boromir88 06-13-2012 12:51 PM

Kili the Romantic

Say it aint so Joe!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...12-future-100/

I hope this is just non-spoiler spoiler where there's like a 3-second scene of Kili's infatuation with Tauriel and we then just move on to better things...but somehow with The Hobbit I'm always feeling the worst. I'm even imagining bearded jokes galore and the dwarves getting imprisoned because Kili is schmoozing on the pretty-elf warrior lady of Thranduil's court. Forbidden romance subplot for the win! *headdesk*

Aganzir 06-13-2012 12:57 PM

As long as it's Kili, not Fili...

This is blasphemy though. Come on, we already had Gimli pining for Galadriel (which is all fine and canonical). Do they think every decent dwarf needs an elf to lust after? Eww.

My inner khazad disapproves.

Boromir88 06-13-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 670851)
This is blasphemy though. Come on, we already had Gimli pining for Galadriel (which is all fine and canonical). Do they think every decent dwarf needs an elf to lust after? Eww.

I think this is where my cynicism about The Hobbit is coming from...we just get a rehashing of certain plot points for the sake of nostalgia...and it's really annoying. Kili supposedly an infatuation with Tauriel. I can only assume Legolas is in the film so he can be at the Battle of Five Armies to give us some more shield-sliding CGI spinning tricks, and obviously lines like "Goblins!" "He's here!" :rolleyes:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm also not very hopeful. Granted my reading of The Hobbit is biased by the fact I read it after LOTR, and thus have never seen it as a "prequel" to LOTR, but as a separate, precise story in a large and expansive universe. But, I'm really worried by PJ et all, seemingly wanting to recycle LOTR storylines, only using different characters.

Inziladun 06-13-2012 01:31 PM

The really sad bit is that the whole thing is plausible.

Hey PJ: that's why hardcore Tolkien fans have been so critical of your movies. Not that you're much fussed about it, naturally.

Pitchwife 06-13-2012 01:31 PM

The most fascinating piece of information in that 'spoiler' is that Tauriel is apparently 20 feet tall, revealing her maternal descent from the Misty Mountain giants.

Also:
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/a...tchwife/pj.jpg

Galadriel55 06-13-2012 02:57 PM

You know what I like about this? What I really really like about this? What made me proud and happy like saying "I told you so" makes you feel?

I like that most of the comments on the bottom are against this romance!

PS: They would choose Kili. He's the Elf that's called a Dwarf.

Mithalwen 06-13-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 670854)
The really sad bit is that the whole thing is plausible.

Hey PJ: that's why hardcore Tolkien fans have been so critical of your movies. Not that you're much fussed about it, naturally.

Especially since I haven't seen any casting for Galion... and the progress reports have the dwarfs in open barrels not packed in as in the books..which rather suggests that the escape from the king's palace is not going to be as in the books.

Morthoron 06-13-2012 03:44 PM

Fill the canon cannon with offal, and fire the fodder in one farcical fusillade of flippant flummery. Kili the elleth-killah! :rolleyes:

Sarumian 06-14-2012 05:47 AM

And then let's leave Gandalf with his fire-works back in the Shire and let the Strider lead the Company to the Loonely Montain. It's gonna be just right.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-14-2012 12:36 PM

Good god! Do we really need romance in The Hobbit? It seems that all of the Hobbit news is about one dwarf having a romance or another elf being included for romances. Wasn't there a rumour that Bilbo is also supposed to have a love interest? Not every film needs to be filled to the brim with love and romance. I think that audiences would be perfectly fine with the book turned to film as it is, not Peter Jackson's This Movie is Kind of Like The Hobbit, But Not Really.

Kitanna 06-15-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 670929)
Wasn't there a rumour that Bilbo is also supposed to have a love interest? Not every film needs to be filled to the brim with love and romance.

Obviously it does.

This whole Tauriel thing is just silliness. I've got an idea. Tauriel should be married to Legolas, but she falls in love with the dashing Kili. They make their escape in barrels and their love is shunned in Laketown. The rest of the movie is spent following them as they look for a home.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-15-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitanna (Post 670958)
Obviously it does.

This whole Tauriel thing is just silliness. I've got an idea. Tauriel should be married to Legolas, but she falls in love with the dashing Kili. They make their escape in barrels and their love is shunned in Laketown. The rest of the movie is spent following them as they look for a home.

That would perhaps be better than what they will probably do to the poor book.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 06-26-2012 04:45 AM

Quote:

Obviously it does.

No, that would make it difficult to incorporate the Tauriel-Kili-Smaug love triangle. Invent Legolas a different girlfriend.

Tuor in Gondolin 06-26-2012 06:11 AM

Well, there is a female dwarf shortage so maybe (at least in PJ's world)
it's common for dwarves and elves to get a bit kinky. After all, after a
few centuries a "she-elf" might be interested in a romantic change. ;)

But you're forgetting the most dramatic addition I imagine PJ and
friends would be interested in (the Stone Giants tossing around dwarves
during the storm). :(

Lalwendė 07-07-2012 07:19 PM

What perhaps annoys me the most about this is that Aidan Turner is a brilliant actor and currently seen as quite cool and 'cult' in the SF geek world after his role as Mitchell in Being Human. If they have him do this kind of thing as Kili, he'll be ridiculed! Orlando Bloom has always been seen as a bit lightweight after playing Legolas in the way Jackson wrote him. Who could watch him in Pirates without thinking about Captain Obvious? I really don't want to see Aidan Turner to be viewed as some corny bit of fluff, because he's more than capable of playing dark and tormented characters.

Still, they can keep on coming with all of this nonsense and I'm always going to be excited about this film.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 01-07-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin (Post 671489)
(the Stone Giants tossing around dwarves
during the storm). :(

Funny, that's just what they ended up doing.

davem 01-08-2013 03:47 AM

Battle of Five Armies: Kili & Tauriel either die together, or she just fails to save him (weepy scene like Theoden's death in Eowyn's arms syle of thing). Chill dudes - its a Jackson film. If you don't want to see it I'll write you a note.

Ulvenok 01-08-2013 07:06 AM

Blockbusters need romances, don't kid yourself this is a blockbuster. It's made for the masses, that is 7-80 year olds. I bet 75% of the people watching the movie would love to switch out any canon element for something more epic. That is why Christopher Tolkien I guess after watching the hobbit movie has announced that no more movies will be made on his father's mythology. :D

William Cloud Hicklin 01-08-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulvenok (Post 679240)
Blockbusters need romances, don't kid yourself this is a blockbuster. It's made for the masses, that is 7-80 year olds. I bet 75% of the people watching the movie would love to switch out any canon element for something more epic. That is why Christopher Tolkien I guess after watching the hobbit movie has announced that no more movies will be made on his father's mythology. :D

Christopher Tolkien is in something like the position of the son of a legendary chef, forced to watch Papa's name slapped on a wildly successful worldwide chain of burger joints.

davem 01-08-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin (Post 679247)
Christopher Tolkien is in something like the position of the son of a legendary chef, forced to watch Papa's name slapped on a wildly successful worldwide chain of burger joints.

Annoying for him, certainly, but no-one's being force fed the burgers. And if papa sold his right to the name being used then I don't see how you can impute any fault to the buyer for using what is their own property in whatever way they see fit.

William Cloud Hicklin 01-08-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem (Post 679250)
Annoying for him, certainly, but no-one's being force fed the burgers. And if papa sold his right to the name being used then I don't see how you can impute any fault to the buyer for using what is their own property in whatever way they see fit.

From an economic and legal perspective, you're absolutely right. As a question of taste, however, the son doesn't have to like it.

davem 01-08-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin (Post 679251)
From an economic and legal perspective, you're absolutely right. As a question of taste, however, the son doesn't have to like it.

But the existence of the films (which no one has to watch) doesn't affect the books. I might as well argue that CT shouldn't have published the early drafts of LotR as they spoil all Tolkien's efforts at creating a believable secondary world by showing us the stages in the creative process. In a real sense they 'break the spell', but nobody is forced to read them.

Pomegranate 01-08-2013 04:05 PM

Given that Tauriel is the only female character in the Hobbit movies - apart from Galadriel, but you know, it seems that Gandalf has dibs on her, as Celeborn finds out in LotR "Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him" - it is an obvious choice that all the other characters should fall for her. Not only a boring triangle, but rather Bilbo-Fili-Kili-Legolas-Thorin-Thranduil?-Beorn-Bard-rest-of-the-dwarves fight for the love of the elf-maiden. Actually, maybe that's what the battle of the five armies will be about, let's just forget the Arkenstone.

I guess Bard should win the fight, so PJ can repeat some Aragorn-Arwen scenes.

Mithalwen 01-08-2013 04:32 PM

You mean someone will snog a horse?

Nerwen 01-08-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem (Post 679255)
But the existence of the films (which no one has to watch) doesn't affect the books. I might as well argue that CT shouldn't have published the early drafts of LotR as they spoil all Tolkien's efforts at creating a believable secondary world by showing us the stages in the creative process. In a real sense they 'break the spell', but nobody is forced to read them.

But having read them, people can have an opinion on them, no? The actual argument you're putting up relies too much on the hypothetical reader having a very naive concept of creativity- but if you want to, you can certainly say you found them unenlightening, uninteresting and a waste of time. Just as people who have watched a movie can have an opinion about that. (Yes, even Christopher Tolkien.)

Morsul the Dark 01-08-2013 10:20 PM

I don't expect an abundance of beard jokes... the song in rivendell is rife with them and was cut.

Michael Murry 01-09-2013 12:33 AM

When Studio Executive Committees Make Movies

A Fraud at Any Price

First "Itaril" was tried. That failed.
Then "Tauriel." The thoughtful quailed
to think that simply changing names
might sell what cheapens and defames:
an elf-lord/elf-chick "romance" or
an inter-species "love," which for
the tent-pole, popcorn-munching mob
most certainly will do the job,
extracting payment, sight-unseen,
for bad-to-worse upon the screen.

Michael Murry, "The Misfortune Teller"

Sapphire_Flame 01-09-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pomegranate (Post 679267)
Given that Tauriel is the only female character in the Hobbit movies - apart from Galadriel, but you know, it seems that Gandalf has dibs on her, as Celeborn finds out in LotR "Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him" -

Okay, that gave me the best laugh I've had all day. HAR. :D

While I'm generally very positive about these films, this business with Tauriel does make me uneasy. PJ doesn't write that Action Girl type of character very well, if nothing else. Having a romantic angle with Kili, however, would make it much worse, as it would cheapen both Gimli's infatuation with Galadriel and his friendship with Legolas. Really, the only somewhat good way that dynamic could be played is if it's a one-off thing of Kili mooning over the pretty elf lady, with Fili and Bofur (and maybe Nori?) heckling him about it mercilessly afterward. They'd be speaking for the audience, really.

Considering that the Tauriel character seems to be being phased out of the series merch, we might not have too much to worry about ultimately, though. I hope. *crosses fingers*

Lalwendė 01-09-2013 04:44 PM

There's still this strong rumour that she's not going to be in the final cut. The action figures of Tauriel are short packed (and you should get one now if you want one), and no others are.

However a clue is in the Lego Mirkwood set - if she's in it, then it's likely she will help Legolas to rescue the Dwarves from the spiders. Lego sets generally replicate planned scenes, though are planned a long time in advance - and the set I bought does say 'special preview set' on the box. So it may not come to pass *crosses fingers*.

Mithalwen 01-09-2013 05:31 PM

Might it not just be that they expected her to be in the first film when there were just two but now she will be in the unexpected middle one so they will reissue unser correct film.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 01-09-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulvenok (Post 679240)

The Adventures of Tintin didn't have romance. It also didn't have unnecessary female eye-candy characters either. In fact, they went most of the film focusing on two men and a dog. I fail to see how Tintin, a honest-to-goodness movie could get away with no ridiculous romances or fluff, but The Hobbit can't.

Nerwen 01-10-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 679336)
Might it not just be that they expected her to be in the first film when there were just two but now she will be in the unexpected middle one so they will reissue unser correct film.

That seems more likely to me. After all, if she does play a major role, they might not be able to write her out now.

elvet 01-10-2013 07:19 AM

I keep seeing Kill the Romantic as the title of this thread. Faked me out more than once.

alatar 01-10-2013 09:38 AM

elvet, until you just pointed that out, I too always saw it as 'kill.'

Welcome to the Downs!

Juicy-Sweet 12-21-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Obviously it does.

Haha pretty much spot on :)