The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   King of Kings (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=14535)

Groin Redbeard 12-31-2007 04:40 PM

King of Kings

This thread is about who you think is the best King of all time, in Middle Earth. The person can be Male, Female, Dwarf, Man, Elf, or even a Hobbit (if you can find any Hobbit kings).;)

I'll start the thread.

Dáin II Ironfoot
Fought in the War of Dwarves and Orcs. King of the Lonely Mountain during the War of the Ring. Durin and was the son of Nain and the grandson of Gror, who led a company of Dwarves to settle in the Iron Hills.

Dáin II Ironfoot had all the trappings of a great King: Loyal to his kin and friends, amazingly honest for a dwarf, strong leader/warrior, and a wise ruler.

There you have it. I’ve nominated my “King of Kings” now you nominate yours!:)

Have fun,
-Grion Redbeard

TheGreatElvenWarrior 01-01-2008 07:14 PM

Hmmm. I think I will have to not go for Thranduil! Maybe... well the thain of the Shire was knida like a king, so I'll have to go with..

Paladin Took the father of Peregrin Took

He defended his home and town from Saurman's guys during the Scouring and... well raised Pippin (and didn't kill him first)

Dwarven Warrior 01-04-2008 11:25 AM

Nice Thread Groin. I think Elendil tops them all, even Dain II.:smokin: If it wasn't for him all of Arda would have fallen into darkness.

mormegil 01-04-2008 11:32 AM

How about Elessar? I think he did more on a grand scale and for more people than most could claim credit for and faced greater odds to get there than most.

Groin Redbeard 01-04-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mormegil (Post 542080)
How about Elessar? I think he did more on a grand scale and for more people than most could claim credit for

Elessar's deeds as a king, in my opinion, weren't as impressive as when he was a ranger, but he was a great king.

Quote:

and faced greater odds to get there than most.
Very true. Those that are well tried in life usaully make the best leaders.:)

Gwathagor 01-04-2008 05:00 PM

Golly, this is a hard thread. You can't very well compare between races and ages; each monarch needs to be considered within their own particular context. Seriously, I could just choose Illuvatar and trump all of you. So, perhaps a better idea would be to select, say, the greatest king of the third age, or the greatest king of the dwarves, or something like that.

Legate of Amon Lanc 01-05-2008 11:12 AM

Okay, I made my choice and it is based more on feeling, if someone told me: King of Kings in Middle-Earth? What would I reply, simply as that. It does not have much to do with the fact that the king would be the best ruler, the kindest, most powerful and most famous and victorious over most enemies and with most heroic deeds behind him or anything like that, but who is THE king for me, is the King of the Mountain, Thorin Oakenshield.

The Might 01-05-2008 11:29 AM

Well, why not go with something different and take Brytta.
Not often do you find a ruler that is generous to all, especially to the needy. I don't doubt that Aragorn or Eomer weren't like that as well, but I still think they were as kings a bit above the ordinary ones, while Brytta received the title Leofa, the Beloved, because of the attachment of all Rohirrims to him.
Now that's a king! :D

Elmo 01-06-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 542157)
Golly, this is a hard thread. You can't very well compare between races and ages; each monarch needs to be considered within their own particular context. Seriously, I could just choose Illuvatar and trump all of you. So, perhaps a better idea would be to select, say, the greatest king of the third age, or the greatest king of the dwarves, or something like that.

I could open a can of worms with that one...

Groin Redbeard 01-07-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 542157)

I don't want to make this thread too narrow. After all, in my opinion, narrow minded threads are for narrow minded people.

Let's try and get back on the main subject. Next nomination please...:)

Bęthberry 01-07-2008 02:10 PM

I bet if you started a thread on who were the best queens you'd get a bit more discussion.

:Merisu:

Gwathagor 01-07-2008 09:53 PM

Queens?

As far as kings go (and beyond the obvious choice of Aragorn), I really like Dain Ironfoot.

Eönwë 01-09-2008 02:20 PM

No-one appreciates one of the greatest heroes of all- Círdan

I don't know if this counts, but Círdan (he rules Falas and Lindon throughout his life).

He is the oldest elf on middle earth (not including Valinor), I think maybe 15,000 years old? He was at the first march of the elves, whe n they went West from Cuivienen.

He got messages from the Valar that he was needed in Middle Earth so he stayed.
His people got attacked so much, including by the full force of Angmar, but many of them survived.

He took part in almost every major battle (with elves in it), with the exception of the War of the Ring (but actually there were no elves there except Legolas, at least, in the book).

He taught many people to shipbuild, and without him and his people, there would be no ships.

He gave his most precious and powerful possession, Narya, to Gandalf, and realised that he was more powerful and wiser than Saruman.

And he vowed to stay in middle-earth while Gandalf was there, even when most of his race was leaving, and actually stayed there until the year 62 (I think) of the Fourth Age, when Sam left for Valinor.

He actually did much more that I have not the time to mention them all.

Círdan, the best king of all...

King of durins folk 03-11-2008 01:40 PM

where on earth do all of you get all this knowledge .... its amazing ... I would bet my right arm .. that you guys are like ten times as good as I am ...

Its almoust painful to say this .. but i havent even seen the third movie..
and on the top of it all I tried to read the book but gave up at page ten or something

and all the stuff you know after and before the movies .. is that from simarillion ?

The Sixth Wizard 04-04-2008 06:22 PM

Hyarmendacil - South Conqueror.

Gondor was at the height of its power under King Ciryaher and he fixed its problems for quite a time, especially humbling the Haradrim who were a real threat.