The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What obsessive things do YOU do? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5404)

Nevfeniel 07-07-2002 09:17 AM

What obsessive things do YOU do?

I'm sure this has already been done somewhere, but I can't find it. Anyhoo, just what things have YOU done that would be considered obsessive?
Yesterday, while babysiting, I held up the baby's teething ring and said, "This is an evil ring that must be taken to a volcano and destroyed." He just looked at me. I mean, after all, he's only 8 months old. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Lothiriel Silmarien 07-07-2002 11:56 AM

Well, better sooner than later that he knows that!
I bought the One Ring, and once my sister was like, Oh can I just try it on, and I wouldn't let her because I thought she would keep it and not give it back (like what Boromir would do)

Rosa_Baggins 07-07-2002 12:44 PM

Once i scare my friend because i went to town and i brought this ring but my friend wanted it first.So being the freak i am i craddled it and said "No!!I found it, its mine!!My own...My ppreciousssssss!"You know the top on my lungs in that really scarey voice bilbo does.All the people turned and gave me werid looks as i payed for it and left.

Anna Licumo 07-07-2002 03:11 PM

Lesse... I do a lot of (bad) crafts centered around LotR. But I think the biggest thing I did was start a club. Wheeee! Boy, does that make you obsessed when you run something around a subject or what? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] My friends call me The Ringer. Course, they belong to the club, so I don't know where they have the right to claim they're not... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

gollum*elf*pup 07-07-2002 04:05 PM

i bought the one ring too, and my friends litle brother was trying it on, and he was running around the house screaming 'AHHH mom! i'm invisible!'
and when i do my gollum impression at school, well let's just say i scared some people. my teacher actually wrote on my report card once '...and her golum voice is really scary...' (i know. she cant spell gollum.)
i draw countless pictures of my cartoon lotr characters. it's fun. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Luthien_ Tinuviel 07-07-2002 04:17 PM

Hey Gollum, where did you get the swimming monster-thing in your signature? I like it.

gollum*elf*pup 07-07-2002 04:21 PM

i got it from an animation webiste.
click here if you want to take a peek.

Nevfeniel 07-07-2002 04:43 PM

That's cool, Gollum*elf*pup. In fact, I used that website to change my pic! Just to make sure, can everyone else see it?

NazgulNumber10 07-07-2002 04:50 PM

i may change mine to this
http://bestanimations.com/fantasy/fantasy-01.gif
but i will miss my current happy noodle boy image...

Nevfeniel 07-07-2002 04:53 PM

It's very. . . interesting. . .

NazgulNumber10 07-07-2002 04:54 PM

what? the dragon or happy noodle boy?

Nevfeniel 07-07-2002 04:55 PM

The dragon. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

NazgulNumber10 07-07-2002 04:57 PM

yeah, most people think happy noodle boy is weird, not interesting. but then again most people don't know what happy noodle boy is...

Lothiriel Silmarien 07-07-2002 05:00 PM

Oh cool, that dragon is awesome! I may not know who happy noodle boy is but he sounds funny anyway.

NazgulNumber10 07-07-2002 05:12 PM

sa for obssesive things, i only read lotr if i have an lotr bookmark. I have many of each, because i "got" some from school. what, it's not like anyone else would have taken them!

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumber10 ]

Lothiriel Silmarien 07-07-2002 07:08 PM

Oh I do that too! Well, that's cuz I only have LotR bookmarks... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nevfeniel 07-07-2002 07:43 PM

I made a LotR bookmark. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Lothiriel Silmarien 07-07-2002 07:47 PM

Really? That's so cool [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nevfeniel 07-07-2002 07:48 PM

It's pretty easy, just find a picture about the right size and shape, print it out, cut it out, then wrap it with tape (clear, obviously).

edhel_espyn 07-08-2002 04:20 AM

lemme see....i once convinced all my classmates to see lord of the rings:FOTR and PAID FOR ALL OF THEM. needless to say, they loved it. I had my notebooks filled with LOTR doodles and had my artworks stuck to my walls. also, convinced my dad to "forge" me Sting (he's good in metalworks). And also, perhaps my craziest: I screamed "SHARKEY" inside the theater where Christopher Lee played Count Dooku in SW:EP2... he he he. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Neferchoirwen 07-08-2002 06:03 AM

Welcome to the Downs, edhel! ...and it's really cool what your dad did.

I am totally obsessed with anything by Tolkien. Last Friday, I saw The Unfinished Tales---the ONE and ONLY copy---at my favorite bookstore and grabbed it, and then looked over to my left and to my right to see if anyone was looking. And then to confirm if I REALLY had the ONLY copy,I looked throught the whole Fantasy section just to make sure.
After all that, I finally bought it, even if I was supposed to buy a gift for my best friend (I wasn't able to find the book I wanted to get her anyway...)

gollum*elf*pup 07-08-2002 04:25 PM

heh heh heh, well, i love the name sharkey, cause the horse i used to ride was named sharkey!!! i decided to cover my bedroom window with lotr pics after running out of wall space. bad idea, it's very dark now. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] my sister's friend's brother makes lotr pins, and he gives them to me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nevfeniel 07-08-2002 05:20 PM

Quote:

I screamed "SHARKEY" inside the theater where Christopher Lee played Count Dooku in SW:EP2
Do you realize how lucky you are to still be ALIVE?!

NazgulNumber10 07-08-2002 05:22 PM

live for the moment...

Nevfeniel 07-08-2002 07:22 PM

Just out of curiosity, edhel, what was the reaction of the (most likely) annoyed star-wars-obsessed movie-goers? (wow, try typing THAT three times fast. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] )

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]

mark12_30 07-08-2002 08:16 PM

Remember in the movie, at The Prancing Pony, when Frodo is sitting at the table with Sam, and he pulls the ring out, and starts turning it over between the thumb and forefinger of each hand, rolling it over and over, running his fingers over the edge of it, almost slipping it on but not quite?

I do that, with a big bulky band that I usually wear on my right index finger.

Problem is when I misjudge and drop it, it clangs very loudly.

(I have yet to trip, toss the ring in the air, and have it land on my index finger as I fall.)

akhtene 07-08-2002 10:02 PM

I'm not really obsessed (at least I hope so)but...
Well i too have this problem with rings. I usually wear several and I always fumble with them and drop them in most unsutable places.

One morning I ran into a colleague of mine who just said 'good morning'. Nothing unusual, but I was only half-awake and in especially lousy mood. I quoted Gandalf's reply from the beginning of 'The Hobbit' And that colleague took it as a personal insult (as I was told later) WHY ??? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Nevfeniel 07-08-2002 10:10 PM

*sigh* Some people just don't understand good literature. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thinhyandoiel 07-09-2002 02:24 AM

Besides the ring thing, which I think we are all guilty of, something JUST happened to me (like, two minutes ago) that I thought was a bit obsessive. Me and my sister were sitting down here looking at a website in the dark when we heard someone coming down the stairs. My sister whispered "Someone's coming" and I replied with "Something draws near, I can feel it" She just rolled her eyes at me. I don't really blame her really. She's not as fanatic as I am, but still I dragged her 5 of the 9 (Holy number that!)times I saw the movie. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]: *snicker*

The Fifth 07-09-2002 08:11 AM

The only obsessive thing I've done was fill up 3 whole journals with LOTR drawings. There are 62 hobbit doodles, 38 horse doodles, and 5 Gandalf doodles. Oh, and a bunch of wraiths.

The-Elf-Herself 07-09-2002 09:01 AM

Hmmmmmm, something obsessed. Well, I am writing a quasi-scifi LOTR story, concerning disruptions between our dimensional plane and the one in which ME exists(all original characters, NO MS). And I'm helping my brother write the script for his ME parody; he plans to film it before summer's over. Filming a parody, I don't know if that's obsessed or not. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: The-Elf-Herself ]

Maikadilwen 07-09-2002 09:53 AM

Uhmmm..... I've seen the movie 28 times.... Some people find that VERY obsessive.... I wonder why.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Catherine 07-09-2002 07:26 PM

I just like it to much, I am always online looking at TLOTR stuff, its not much but still.

Brinniel 07-09-2002 07:45 PM

My family and friends think I'm totally obessed. Each time I carry on a conversation with someone, I always somehow manage to bring in LOTR into it. It drives everyone nuts!

Nevfeniel 07-09-2002 07:53 PM

I asked my mom (hypothetically [sp?]) if she were to open a restaurant, would she go with my suggestion to name it the Prancing Pony? She said yes, but she didn't realize it was LotR until I told her! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Rosseiliantiel 07-09-2002 09:18 PM

I bought prosthetic elf ears!

Gimli Son Of Gloin 07-09-2002 10:45 PM

Once when I was reading the Bible aloud I said 'King Saruman' instead of 'King Soloman'. It was rather embarrassing.

Nevfeniel 07-10-2002 07:59 AM

I can imagine.
I'm making prosthetic elf ears. . . and so is my friend; we're going to dress up as an elf and a hobbit for TTT premiere (if I can get tickets).

Gimli Son Of Gloin 07-10-2002 08:33 AM

I usually don't go to movies that often, I only saw LotR once. *Ducks flying rocks* But now I saving up so I can see TTT 90 times!

GreatWarg 07-10-2002 02:38 PM

Good for you Gimli!

Would you count intensively studying Elvish (writing, pronunciation, etc.) quoting constantly from the books, always bringing up LotR into conversations, having dreams about M-E, hanging out here in the Barrowdowns most of the time when I'm awake, singing Elvish songs, and always referring to LotR obsessive? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Yea, I thought so... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]