The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   'Tolkien' to appear in new CS Lewis drama (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12251)

davem 09-26-2005 01:10 PM

'Tolkien' to appear in new CS Lewis drama

More info here. Robert Hickson will play Tolkien.

Child of the 7th Age 09-26-2005 08:17 PM

Davem,

Thanks for the heads up.

I noticed the date "24 October 2004" appearing after the article in the link. Was the filming begun then last year? And when is the show now expected to be released?

davem 09-27-2005 01:44 AM

According to the Hallmark site its due out at Christmas. Don't know much else about it. Apparently the BBC over here are negotiating to show it at the same time.

Lalwendė 09-27-2005 02:05 AM

If the BBC don't secure the rights to this, Hallmark is available through Sky. Might be the first time I've ever wanted to watch anything on there, too. ;)

Lalwendė 12-23-2005 11:01 AM

Fresh from the latest edition of Radio Times...

CS Lewis: Beyond Narnia will be shown on Friday 6th January at 9pm, on BBC2. The cast list includes Robert Hickson as Tolkien, with Ben Lambert as 'Younger Tolkien' - neither of these are well-known actors so I suppose they have a good chance to make an impression. The description says that "there is a strong focus on Lewis's struggles to find a religious faith." I wonder if it will show Tolkien's discussion with Lewis on Addison's Walk?

I'm looking forwards to this.... :)

Hilde Bracegirdle 12-23-2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendė
I wonder if it will show Tolkien's discussion with Lewis on Addison's Walk?

It already aired here early this month, I think on the 9th. I remember there was a scene with Tolkien and another man walking with Lewis and talking about the similarity of stories taken from the Bible and other non-Christian tales. Would this be the discussion you mean? It seemed a turning point for Lewis.

It has been a coon's age since I read any biography, so it was interesting to see how his life progressed, especially his ability to solidly support his view point.

And it was a nicely done sort of documentary, too quick though. Another hour or two would have been perfect. ;)

AbercrombieOfRohan 12-23-2005 06:43 PM

Anyone know if we can expect it here in the states?

Hilde Bracegirdle 12-24-2005 06:12 AM

AbercrombieOfRohan, I'm afraid that you have missed it. I've looked to see if they are going show it again, but it doesn't look likely, at least in this month. :(

Lalwendė 12-24-2005 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
It already aired here early this month, I think on the 9th. I remember there was a scene with Tolkien and another man walking with Lewis and talking about the similarity of stories taken from the Bible and other non-Christian tales. Would this be the discussion you mean? It seemed a turning point for Lewis.

That's the one - Tolkien, Lewis and Dyson had the discussion if I'm correct. And it was a turning point for Lewis.

It was made by the satellite Hallmark channel so I suppose it would be worth checking their website for future schedules if you've already missed it in the States - they have a different schedule in the UK, and it's being shown on terrestrial BBC2 anyway here.

Hilde Bracegirdle 12-25-2005 01:15 PM

Yes, I had checked the Hallmark website, but it only showed December's schedule. No telling what programming they might have in store for January. ;) I do hope that they repeat it.