The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   In Memoriam - Quote Graveyard (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4595)

Orual 11-10-2002 08:58 PM

"There goes the last DJ/Who plays what he wants to play/And says what he wants to say/...There goes your freedom of choice/There goes the last human voice/There goes the last DJ..."--Tom Petty

Rest in peace, my bulky sig. Great song, though, too bad it was banned from the radio.

~*~Orual~*~

Cúdae 11-17-2002 04:00 PM

"Not all who wander are lost."--JRR Tolkien

I live by that quote, but it was time for a change.

Nevfeniel 11-29-2002 11:05 AM

Wow, not many people have posted here lately. I am now putting to rest the quote that I mentioned just a few replies ago:
"I'm against all 'it's me's'. It's so self-absorbed and egotistical, like those hip musicians with their complicated shoes."
-George Costanza
I now have another Seinfeld quote down there, from what my brother says is the funniest episode ever. He nicknamed it "Man-Hands".

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]

Lostgaeriel 11-29-2002 02:21 PM

Shortly before signatures longer than 2 lines were not allowed, I had added to more quotes to my sig to extend the meet & greet theme. So for a few days it looked like this:

Elen síla lúmenn’ omentielvo, a star shines on the hour of our meeting.

"My mother told me to give a cheery greeting to everyone I meet. And to take a ring from a good lady if the occasion arose." - Parzival: The Quest of the Grail Knight retold by Katherine Paterson

ZAPHOD: Oh God...Ford. This is Trillian, hi, Trillian, this is my semi-cousin Ford, who shares three of the same mothers as me, hi. Trillian, is this sort of thing going to happen every time we use the Infinite Improbability Drive?
TRILLIAN: Very probably I'm afraid.
ZAPHOD: Zaphod Beeblebrox, this is a very large drink. Hi.

P.S. My avatar is Parzival/Parsifal/Peredur/Perceval in honour of Viggo Mortensen's publishing company.

[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]

Amanaduial the archer 12-01-2002 08:22 AM

Ive changed mine about 3 times, but my favourite is;

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

from Jingo by Terry Pratchett.

Im reading Romeo and Juliet at the moment, thus I have my current sig.

Susan Delgado 12-03-2002 11:58 PM

I am changing from:

"Near and far, far and near. They are within sight of your lady's eyes, but almost out of reach of her memory. They are coming closer, and they are going away."

"A cat can appreciate valiant absurdity."

-- The Last Unicorn

vanwalossien 12-04-2002 08:34 AM

Here's some of mine:
Quote:

"Charming man" said Arthur. "I wish I had a daughter so I could stop her from marrying him." "There's no need", Ford replied. "They have about as much sex appeal as a car crash"
D. Adams' "The Ultimate Hitch-hiker's Guide"
Quote:

Smart is sexy
Actually Jennifer Aniston said that..
Quote:

This is an important announcement. This is flight 121 to Los Angeles. If your travel plans today do not include Los Angeles, now would be a perfect time to disembark.
Ah, Adams again..

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]

Lush 12-13-2002 01:18 PM

Oh yeah, I suppose I can lay to rest my Thomas Mann quote here:

"For you know that we poets cannot walk the way of beauty without Eros as our companion and guide."

It's self-explanatory, if you know me at all, and know who Eros is. This is the quote I use to justify almost all the "youthful indescretions" in the world. Try it on your mother next time you come home after dawn.

HerenIstarion 12-13-2002 01:19 PM

your sigs are always so sad (and ven depressive sometimes), Squatter...

Lush 12-13-2002 04:38 PM

Squatter makes up for it by being a cutie.

HerenIstarion 12-13-2002 04:44 PM

Quote:

Surely you're not going to tell me in all honesty that you of all people need a therapist. I do hope that you mean a drinking companion.
that'shim [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 12-14-2002 07:29 AM

How did you get that? I didn't post it. Clearly I'm being spied upon, and I'm most upset. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

This forum is themed around a graveyard. What else would my signatures be about but death? Actually I mainly choose them for their poetic qualities.

Quote:

Squatter makes up for it by being a cutie.
It's very sweet of you to say so, old thing. You're not so bad to look at yourself.

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: Squatter of Amon Rudh ]

Lush 12-14-2002 11:53 AM

Heren is quoting the quote of the week off my homepage. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, back to business, eh?

Diamond18 12-15-2002 09:36 PM

My first sig was from the Wizard of Oz:

Quote:

She's not just merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.
I was reading a newspaper article which mentioned it, and I thought it fit perfectly for the dead theme on the Downs. But then I watch WoZ again recently and realized just how annoying, cloying and insipid the whole munchkin land is (it's certainly no Shire and those paint-by-number midgets are no Hobbits!)

Second sig, a quote by Faramir:

Quote:

We look towards Númenor that was, and beyond to Elvenhome that is, and to that which is beyond Elvenhome and will ever be.
I may go back to that because I love it immensely, but I changed it for Christmas. I may as well post my current sig since it will be changing after Christmas:

Quote:

Under that bed there runs a flood, the bells of Paradise I heard them ring.
The one half runs water the other runs blood, and I love my Lord Jesus above anything.
That is a verse from "Down in Yon Forest", a Christmas song.

vanwalossien 12-16-2002 08:41 AM

I've now changed my "Smart is sexy!" to a little TTT-movie hysteria.. Jennifer Aniston's motto is returning when I've seen TTT I suppose..

dragoneyes 12-22-2002 05:25 AM

I liked this quote, I didn't have it for long, maybe I'll change it back one day.

Quote:

"I don't want to answer a string of questions while I am eating, I want to think!"
"Good heavens! At Breakfast?"

Aylwen Dreamsong 12-22-2002 12:40 PM

This one used to be mine as well:

Quote:

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck
I think this was one of mine for a week or two [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] :

Quote:

Quitting is easier, I know
I think I will change mine soon.

~Aylwen

[ April 04, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]

Bêthberry 12-22-2002 04:32 PM

Memory trolls for submerged words. Here are the two quotations I have used at the BarrowDowns:

I went looking for the garden of my mother and lo! I found my own.

Never speak to women/Unless you speak of flowers
illustrate your garden/and walk with them past fountains
but never let them carry your secrets/they are lapses

The first I found on a stone plague in a garden centre; the second is from Jane Urquhart, Some Other Garden.

Bethberry

[ December 22, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

vanwalossien 01-05-2003 07:47 AM

I finally disposed of my Harry Potter quote
Quote:

I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me.
Fitting words to live by both for Harry and me...

Susan Delgado 01-15-2003 02:43 AM

I am changing from,
"Where are you?" he cried again, both angry and afraid.
"Here!" said a voice, deep and cold, that seemed to come out of the ground. "I am waiting for you!"

Aylwen Dreamsong 01-15-2003 04:50 PM

Old:

Quote:

I'd rather eat my soup with a fork. Or drive a cab in New York. Because to talk to you is harder work.
New:

Quote:

The higher you build your barriers, the taller I become. The more you refuse to hear my voice, the louder I will sing.
I usually use original or less famous lyrics to songs. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

How long have you been using that one, Susan?

Quote:

I went looking for the garden of my mother and lo! I found my own.
I always loved that one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ! And to think it just came from a garden stone...

Aylwen

[ January 15, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]

dragoneyes 01-16-2003 12:31 PM

The more I looked at this sig, the more stupid it seemed, so I've decided to change it at last.

Quote:

"I was glad to be rid of his company, for he stank" - Aragorn, so don't you go around saying Aragorn was dirty! He knew dirt when he smelt it!

Aylwen Dreamsong 01-20-2003 04:27 PM

I like your new one, Dragoneyes:

Quote:

'Hm, tired? No, I am not tired. I do not easily get tired. And I do not sit down. I am not very, hm, bendable.' - Treebeard
I changed mine, a little. It is still "The higher you build your barriers, the taller I become. The more you refuse to hear my voice, the louder I will sing," except it is in Spanish.

I can't seem to make up my mind when it comes to sigs. I always change mine.

Aylwen

Rimbaud 01-24-2003 03:06 PM

This one lasted a long time. I was pleased that people enjoyed the link.

Darkling I listen; and, for many a time
I have been half in love with easeful Death,
Call'd him soft names in many a musèd rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath;

Orual 02-06-2003 04:22 PM

For a brief moment, this was mine:

Quote:

"I mean, what's my business? My business is basically good."--Zackie Salmon
From Moisés Kaufman's The Laramie Project. A very, very good play. Everybody ought to read it.

HerenIstarion 02-08-2003 03:42 AM

bye for now:

Quote:

...Не шалю, никого не трогаю, починяю примус...

Diamond18 02-21-2003 10:22 PM

This very short-lived sig was doomed to be brief, as I wrote it in a fey mood and was annoyed by it ever since:

Quote:

Delight in the dance of the dying duck and weep,
Or may a thousand electric eels devour you in your sleep.
It's fun and quirky the first time around, but not when one has to read it every time she posts...

Rest In Peace.

Carlas 02-22-2003 05:23 PM

I have not had this quote long, but I love my new one!

Quote:

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-22-2003 10:00 PM

Both of those quotations are absolutely brilliant. I especially like Macchiavelli there. Most apposite for some threads.

HerenIstarion 02-24-2003 12:24 AM

Quote:

...One foot in front of the other, through leaves, over bridges...

this one lasted only for 2 weeks. Maybe it was too poetic for me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm going back to one before, now in English

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Lush 02-24-2003 01:22 AM

Argh! Heren! The English translation of The Master and Margarita is not up to my standards at all. I resolve to translate and pubblish a new version sometime during my post-graduate work.

HerenIstarion 02-24-2003 02:24 AM

Quote:

Argh! Heren!
Ты слышишь, прокуратор? -- тихо повторил первосвященник, -- неужели
ты скажешь мне, что все это, -- тут первосвященник поднял обе руки, и темный
капюшон свалился с головы Каифы, -- вызвал жалкий разбойник HerenIstarion?

a-a-a-a...

Единственно, что может спасти смертельно раненного [в сердце] H-I, --
проговорил HerenIstarion, -- это глоток бензина...

and yes, I'm not that much of a cat, you know....

Sapphire_Flame 02-24-2003 04:30 PM

I here lay to rest my first ever sig on the Downs...
Quote:

Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
And beside it I lay my last sig...
Quote:

Sometimes stories cry out to be told in such loud voices that you write them just to shut them up. ~Stephen King
May they rest in peace. (unless I decide to use them again...)

Salix 02-26-2003 01:40 PM

I have finally chose to lay to rest this quote.
Quote:

"Did you ever want to go swimming out among the stars?... We could fall into the night and be cradled by the stars and still return to the place we began..."
I still love it, but it was time for a change.

Lush 02-26-2003 01:50 PM

Bye bye Pulp:

Quote:

You are the last drink I never should have drunk. You are the body hidden in the trunk. You are the habit I can't seem to kick. You are my secrets on the front page every week.
Helloooo mischief! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

InklingElf 03-05-2003 08:06 PM

Here I lay to rest my most treasured sig quote:

1. "But this story [the gospel] is supreme; and it is true. Art has been verified. God is the Lord, of angels and of men, and of elves. Legend and History have met and fused." --J.R.R. Tolkien [On Fairy Stories]

BTW: I might revive it someday...

Suldaledhel 03-05-2003 10:32 PM

I am bidding a fond farewell to my writing quote in light of a more... optimistic signature.
Quote:

"...words are the only true power. The wisest monarchs know this, the foolish and the cowardly fear it. The gods respect it, but they, too, are not immune to the sting of a bitter truth well told."
And so I lay thee to rest.

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: Suldaledhel ]

Lady_Báin 03-10-2003 08:58 AM

This quote is from The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland I love the Mad Hatter he is my favorite in the whole book. Rest in peace my friend.

Quote:

Twinckle twinkle little bat, how i wonder what you're at, up above the world you fly, like a tea tray in the sky. Twickle twinkle-
[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]

HerenIstarion 03-13-2003 01:29 AM

...me ain't fooling around, ain't touching nobody, just repairing the primus stove...

RIP

Schmendrick 03-13-2003 02:27 AM

Ok, since I just recently changed my sig, I'm gonna put the old one here, too.

" We are not always what we seem and hardly ever what we dream."

It was from the Last Unicorn, one of Schmendrick's lines, of course... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]