The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The Lord of the Rings Project (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17888)

Inziladun 02-23-2012 09:40 PM

The Lord of the Rings Project

I don't really understand why this person is doing this, but it's a quite impressive, comprehensive family tree of Arda and ME characters.

Legate of Amon Lanc 02-24-2012 05:19 AM

Pretty cool, I'd say. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

By the way, could anybody tell me where are those Beorn's other uncanonical relatives mentioned? Never heard about it.

Galadriel55 02-24-2012 06:59 AM

Wow, that's massive! I've put together some family trees myself, but never anything that big, or tied-together! (meaning more like Elrond's family tree in my notebook involves only those in his direct line, not branching off to so many places)

narfforc 02-24-2012 11:13 AM

I did this once myself in 1979, I had it on a massive roll of paper, probably still up in the loft somewhere. Most of it is already in Tolkien's books or Robert Foster's Guide to Middle-earth.

Pitchwife 02-24-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 667671)
By the way, could anybody tell me where are those Beorn's other uncanonical relatives mentioned? Never heard about it.

I think we have two non-identical Beorns there - one the skin-changer of Carrock, the other Eriol's uncle, mentioned along with his other relatives in BoLT.

Galin 02-24-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 667681)
I think we have two non-identical Beorns there - one the skin-changer of Carrock, the other Eriol's uncle, mentioned along with his other relatives in BoLT.

Yes that's it, and I'm not sure I would add these characters myself. But this tree has changed a bit since last I saw it: for example formerly Orodreth was still Galadriel's brother and the father of Gil-galad.

I've not really looked at the whole thing, but if Ingwe had a son (attested at one point anyway), 'Ingil' is seemingly another lift from The Book of Lost Tales (and published by KW Fonstad as well, if I recall correctly) -- but the latest form is Ingwion as far as I know, attested somewhere in The War of the Jewels.

Anyway, it's a lot of work compared to my few quibbles (so far); but again I think including Hengest and Horsa and so on, is going to confuse things, even given the colour distinctions.

Legate of Amon Lanc 02-24-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 667681)

Ah, I see. All right then - what a pity, it would have been nice to have some more Beornings (and a whole family, on top of that!).

By the way: random note - I wonder what made me bolden the name "Beorn" in the original post :)

Galin 02-24-2012 09:57 PM

Hmm, he was bold in battle :D

The Might 02-25-2012 04:15 PM

Finally the proof: Bombadil and Goldberry are Neo and Trinity.

Bęthberry 02-25-2012 08:04 PM

Very cool link, Inzil. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galin
I think including Hengest and Horsa and so on, is going to confuse things, even given the colour distinctions.

What would be the reference/source for placing them roughly at the same time frame as Arwen and Aragorn?

Lalwendë 03-06-2012 10:35 AM

Somebody apparently once did one of these using the software on the Ancestry website, but for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere. I wish I could because it's such impressive software and would look fabulous. I suspect it's the kind of thing the estate might have a pop at though :(