The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What's he do'n...think'n?? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10068)

Elvish Archer 10-23-2003 11:20 PM

What's he do'n...think'n??

Allow me to set the scene for you. Fellowship has just escaped not only the attack in the Tomb of Balin but has just been surrounded by squawking orcs. Suddenly, there is a mad dash for any exit and Gimli is feeling like he's hot stuff... You should get the picture by now. <BR> After Boromir asks Gandalf his question, what is Gandalf doing? If'd it'd been me, I'd've been book'n it out of there as soon as the orcs were clear. But he pauses a moment, explains and then says to run. Is this an embelishment on the part of PJ? Does Mcellen forget his line?

HCIsland 10-24-2003 12:03 PM

It is an embellishment and obviously no, McKellen didn't forget his line. This whole scene doesn't happen in the book. As for why the pause, it's called dramatic effect.<P>H.C.

The Saucepan Man 10-24-2003 08:14 PM

Really, I am beginning to find it quite astounding the lengths that people will go to to find faults in these films. There are a number of well-documented bloopers (Legolas saying that the Orcs are headed north-east to Isengard springs to mind). But a lot of the points that are being brought up in this forum now are of very little consequence. As HC says, this one is just a dramatic pause.

Knight of Gondor 10-24-2003 09:49 PM

Saucepan, man, chill out! Some people just enjoy poking fun at movies. And that's not even what's going on here. If you really want to get mad, go check out the hundreds of mistakes listed for these movies at <A HREF="http://www.movie-mistakes.com." TARGET=_blank>www.movie-mistakes.com.</A> <P>Meantime, I would guess in Gandalf's weariness he is just pausing to take in the utter irony of it all. "Great. We beat up the orcs, escape the Watcher, kill that dumb troll, and I'm dang TIRED. Now this stupid Balrog's gonna come and ruin a great escape. Wouldn't you know I'm the only member of the Istari within shouting distance. I am REALLY not having a good day."

The Saucepan Man 10-24-2003 09:57 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Saucepan, man, chill out! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh I'm chilled, believe me. But I remain astounded.

Lord of Angmar 10-24-2003 10:29 PM

I agree with your initial post, Saucepan. Obviously Sir Ian McKellen would not forget such a crucial line, nor would Peter Jackson print a take of the scene in which he did (PJ did multiple takes of almost every scene, and this was certainly an important one). Obviously Gandalf was extremely alarmed, and had come to a grim realization of the situation, hence the pause. It is one thing to constructively criticize, but this (as well as several other topics) is a stretch whose discussion only detracts from the viewing experience.

Jack 10-25-2003 02:24 PM

I agree with The Saucepan Man! But it is fun to read people raveing over stuff like this... I have done it myself!

Angadraug 10-25-2003 11:13 PM

I always thought that when Gandalf paused he was searching his vast mind for what it could be that had spooked the orcs into running away from them. Once he centered on it then he told them to run.

Liriodendron 10-26-2003 08:33 AM

Yes, he suddenly senses a new evil presence, and is taking a moment to confirm what his memory is suggesting. Ominous, dramatic, cool!

Silmiel of Imladris 10-26-2003 02:36 PM

I agree that PJ wanted to add a dramatic effect but I also think it shows the first reaction to fear in humans and elves. When one sees something that scares them so much they offen can't move. This scene is not the only one is the movie that demostrates this. At the last alliance when Elrond first sees Sauron he can't move either from fear or overall shock. Now I know we want to believe that these legends fear nothing but everyone has fears.

Elvish Archer 10-26-2003 11:47 PM

As Knight of Gondor correctly guessed, I am one of those people who love to find things like this and bring it to the surface. A smackdown or good debate usually follows, someimes both. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Meantime, I would guess in Gandalf's weariness he is just pausing to take in the utter irony of it all. "Great. We beat up the orcs, escape the Watcher, kill that dumb troll, and I'm dang TIRED. Now this stupid Balrog's gonna come and ruin a great escape. Wouldn't you know I'm the only member of the Istari within shouting distance. I am REALLY not having a good day." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I second that.

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 10-27-2003 05:35 AM

I thought it was a shame Legolas didn't identify the Balrog. PJ gave him all this stuff to do which was not in the book, and yet neglects to give him what little parts he has!