The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   In Memoriam - Quote Graveyard (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4595)

Amanaduial the archer 10-02-2004 10:20 AM

Well, I lay to rest:

Quote:

Now Yannie's good yew bow is broken, and his good gaze hounds are slain, and he lies sleeping in the deep greenwood, with all his hunting done, done, with all his hunting done...
I loved that sig. It lasted for a fair while as well, and seemed vaguely fitting: both about death, and with a mention to the deep 'Greenwood'.

RIP siggy.

HerenIstarion 10-02-2004 03:13 PM

Rip

They can tak' oour lives, but they cannae tak' oour troousers!

Fingolfin II 10-02-2004 08:16 PM

Rest in peace

Quote:

Reward on earth is more dangerous for men than punishment.

-~- J.R.R. Tolkien
Wise words, Professor.

Evisse the Blue 10-03-2004 07:45 AM

rest in peace:

Quote:

"I am not now sure that the tendency to treat the whole thing as a kind of vast game is really good - certainly not for me who find that kind of thing only too fatally attractive."
J. R. R. Tolkien

Dear old Professor, he made game players of us all. My hat's off to him and his vast game! :smokin: <-- the only smilie with a hat. :D

vanwalossien 10-05-2004 09:25 AM

Rip

I'm laying this brilliant quote to rest after long and faithful service, and switching to a piece of madness that a friend of mine once said. He feels very important when he is quoted ;)
Quote:

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence

Bêthberry 10-13-2004 06:59 AM

Letting go

I put to rest this little gift:

Quote:

Love, by memorial mould;
Birds, by the snow.
and turn to

Quote:

So take, for joy's sake, this wild gift of mine

Elennar Starfire 10-14-2004 07:28 PM

Quote:

Carbon made Found her at the end of a chain Time to race she said Race the downhill Behind crystalline irises Loons can dive Where the world bleeds white...
Switching my Tori Amos lyrics for a quote from Labyrinth...

Fingolfin II 10-15-2004 03:00 AM

Rest in peace, oh humorous sig-

Quote:

'Coming, sir!' came the answer from far within, followed soon by Sam himself, wiping his mouth. He had been saying farewell to the beer-barrel in the cellar.

Imladris 10-15-2004 03:23 PM

I lay to rest my sig and Avvie:

Avvie:

Draco

And my sig:

Quote:

Longbottom, if brains were gold you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something.
Aww, count on good old Malfoy to come up with an insult...What? Oh yeah..this is a Tolkien forum...*cough*

My new sig is:

Quote:

Had the bo'sun good form without knowing it, which is the best form of all?
I also changed the image that it links to. :d

Bêthberry 10-17-2004 09:14 AM

I interrupt this sig for a brief announcement

I know I just changed my sig, but there's a magnetic poem that is too funny and must be commemorated in some way. I will return to Mandelstam's lilting line:

Quote:

So take, for joy's sake, this wild gift of mine.
but for now I want to giggle over

Quote:

"I am the platypus."
laughing pen indeed. ;)

ohtatyaro 10-18-2004 12:16 AM

Quote:

why waste time reading this silly signature? c'mon, you don't have so much time on your hands, do you?
Rest in peace. I mean, every time someone looks at my post, they inevitably read the sig asking them not to read it :D. Time to change that. I mean, we waste our time online anyway :D

Lush 10-23-2004 11:23 AM

The Smiths'

"All those people, all those lives where are they now? With loves, and hates, and passions just like mine, They were born and then they lived and then they died, Feels so unfair, And I want to cry."

Was very approrpiate there for a while. Until I felt like a change.

the phantom 10-26-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

the phantom has posted. This thread is now important.
I loved this sig dearly and kept it for quite a while, but I think it needs to rest for a bit.

Never fear- it will rise again.

Oddwen 10-26-2004 09:50 PM

I hereby retire:

Quote:

...you may say I'm a drummer, but I'm not the only one...
:P ~Saraphim, John Lennon and A Perfect Circle, sort of.
I'm putting it here because it's something I want to remember. Of course.

Orual 10-29-2004 10:19 PM

"Her name was Eponine--her life was cold and dark, yet she was unafraid."

Farewell, 'Ponine:

Quote:

Every word that he says is a dagger in me!
In my life, there's been no one like him anywhere...
--Eponine
And a big bonjour to Jean Valjean.

The Saucepan Man 10-29-2004 10:49 PM

I lay this to rest.

Quote:

... the most improper job of any man ... is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.
~JRR Tolkien ~
Alas it is too true, more so now than ever.

But it's time for a change,

Imladris 10-30-2004 01:54 PM

*buries avatar to rest*

Evisse the Blue 10-31-2004 12:18 PM

Rip:

Quote:

Little tree, oh little green tree,
Please don't let your leaves rustle over me
A Vodka's on me for whoever knows where this is from. :D

Imladris 11-01-2004 11:57 PM

Which one Evisse? The old sig or the new sig? But...I think the old sig is from the peg legged dude from the comic strip BC?

As Halloween is over, I have a new avatar and a new sig.

Old avatar: Clicky

Old Sig:

And I, Jack, the Pumpkin King
Would give it all up if only he could.

Old Sig image:
Clickety click

Feanor of the Peredhil 11-07-2004 03:40 PM

I have had this signature for quite some time, as it commemorates a great summer time, but as that summer is now only a memory, so too must be the quote.

Farewell to thee:
Quote:

Ni
And welcome to the 'Downs must go to:
Quote:

Out on the roof to inquire of the sky, the existance of ghosts in my life... who's to blame, you or I? No one would answer me, they just stared with the weight of the world I pretend not to feel.
Free and Invisible (yet highly coveted) Feanorian Bonus Points to whoever can tell me the origin of my newest signature. :p

Fea

Amanaduial the archer 11-07-2004 03:48 PM

They're song lyrics, aren't they? Song name...google.com is cheating, must resist the urge... "Ghosts"? Not a clue of the artist. Maybe half a FBP? (Feanorian Bonus Point, copyright 2004)

Farewell to my last siggy - it lasted just over a month, although seems longer for some reason.
Quote:

Today we'll go witch-hunting, and tomorrow, we'll hide, and it'd be the witches' turn to find us...
It made me shiver when I first read it, although maybe that was just in context. It's from Terry Pratchett's 'Good Omens' - class book, very class. And if anyone can guess the origin of my new one, they get a free pint in the Green Dragon (ooh, fierce competition, Fea, fierce competition!;)) Hey, and no Google allowed!

piosenniel 11-07-2004 04:44 PM

Aman

Make it a glass of good, dark stout, if you will, lass . . .

One of my faves from a later part of 'The Song of Solomon' -

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death,
passion fierce as the grave.
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
a raging flame.

Feanor of the Peredhil 11-07-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

They're song lyrics, aren't they? Song name...google.com is cheating, must resist the urge... "Ghosts"? Not a clue of the artist. Maybe half a FBP? (Feanorian Bonus Point, copyright 2004)
Half an FBP goes to Aman! The name of the song is indeed "Ghosts". Anyone who can tell me (without using the bane of my trivia spouting existence, google) who sings it gets the other 2/3. ;)

Slightly more on topic, I really do love your new siggie, Aman. Very pretty.

Fea

Amanaduial the archer 11-08-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piosenniel
Aman

Make it a glass of good, dark stout, if you will, lass . . .

One of my faves from a later part of 'The Song of Solomon' -

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
for love is strong as death,
passion fierce as the grave.
Its flashes are flashes of fire,
a raging flame.

Ah, such a scholar will well be welcome in the 'Dragon, Bethberry, a stout it is ;) Song of Solomon, a favourite of weddings (I do alot of weddings, because I sing in the Church Choir, and it comes up at all of them. Really. All.), but that particular passage, I think, is so good in it's entirety: I couldn't find a way to cut it down and not leave my siggy feeling unfinished. So I looked further. It's one of the lovely songs of the Bible.

HerenIstarion 11-09-2004 01:00 AM

Rip

The ability to edit your posts is a privilege, not a right -- Sharkû
Ask yourself if you are on-topic, off-topic, or on Mars -- BW

Eomer of the Rohirrim 11-09-2004 09:39 AM

I enjoyed those two Heren. I had once considered placing a quote from The Squatter into my signature but I didn't for fear of being labelled a stalker.

Somewhat belatedly, I will place my now old signature into the thread, that being Green Ideas Sleep Furiously. Unfortunately, though I tried, I never could find a green idea that slept furiously. The closest I came was finding a green idea that snoozed in a somewhat surly manner. And it was most uninviting when it woke up to find me gawping at it...

Orual 11-09-2004 09:57 PM

It hasn't been long, but Jean Valjean was making me kind of sad, so I'm switching to another quote that...makes me...kind of sad...it's from a beautiful song in Seussical! the Musical, as it says.

So goodbye to Jean:

Quote:

She was never mine to keep. She is youthful, she is free.
Love is the garden of the young. Let it be...--Jean Valjean
and hello to Mr. Mayor, Mrs. Mayor, and Jojo.

Rimbaud 11-12-2004 04:10 AM

I have now abandoned the Guy Debord quote on quotations, in favour of something punchier.

Farewell: Quotations are useful in periods of ignorance or obscurantist beliefs.

~Rimsky

Elennar Starfire 11-17-2004 08:05 PM

I have loved it well, but 'tis time to say farewell...

Quote:

So much trouble over such a little thing! But not for long.
~Jareth, The Goblin King (Labyrinth)
Sound familiar?
Now for a bit of my own poetry...I'm in a poetic mood...

HerenIstarion 11-18-2004 06:09 AM

I have been reading of Schrödinger's cat
But none of my cats are at all like that.

Grew tired of it pretty soon :)

Eomer of the Rohirrim 11-19-2004 09:58 AM

I performed magic, I'm going to leave you here with the story that justifies you.

I was making myself a cup of tea, as I am wont to do, and everything was going quite unspectacularly up until a certain point. Bear with me, it's a good story. I put some water in the kettle and left it to boil. I then placed a mug on the counter next to the kettle, and put a teabag into said mug. I then (and this is crucial so pay close attention) took a teaspoon from the drawer and put it into the mug. Unremarkable? I think so.

I turned towards the fridge and retrieved the milk. As I turned around, my mind probably filled with moderately pleasant and unworrisome thoughts, I ventured to perceive the mug. And lo and behold! there was not one, but two teaspoons in the mug.

I conjured a teaspoon.

I performed magic.

Elennar Starfire 11-19-2004 07:12 PM

*dies of helpless laughter*

That was the last thing I expected!

Nilpaurion Felagund 11-19-2004 11:50 PM

Wow!

You keep conjuring teaspoons and selling it, you'll make a heap from absolutely nothing!

Is that possible.

I think. I've seen some make their fortunes from far less.

Lhunardawen 11-21-2004 02:41 AM

Finally, one of The Barrowdowns greatest mysteries has been revealed! Now I can sleep...but not until I put this Biology-class-spur-of-the-moment-insanity-of-a-signature to rest:

You are what you eat...but what if you don't have the enzymes to break iy down?

*zzzzzz*

Evisse the Blue 11-21-2004 03:51 PM

Wow, Eomer the teaspoon conjurer! Is it to late to go to Hogwarts now that you discovered your true calling? ;)

On topic now, I say farewell to:
"Rabbi, what can we learn from a telephone?
My shiksa daughter, your faith, your faith
That what we say here is heard there"
That's a nice faith to have, right? :)

Estelyn Telcontar 12-02-2004 01:32 PM

...burying my long-time Arwen quote, since it was too lengthy and I wanted to add a link to my fan fiction.
Quote:

Arwen remained in Rivendell, and when Aragorn was abroad, from afar she watched over him in thought; and in hope she made for him a great and kingly standard, such as only one might display who claimed the lordship of the Númenoreans and the inheritance of Elendil.

Orual 12-02-2004 09:42 PM

I lay to rest a verse from Solla Sollew.

Quote:

They say breezes are warm there...
And people are kind...
Maybe it's something like heaven...
Seussical! the Musical, Solla Sollew

Lhunardawen 12-03-2004 04:52 AM

Esty, I never thought you would change your signature...please don't say you will have an avatar makeover soon.

Rimbaud 12-03-2004 05:12 AM

Rip

Did you see the stylish kids in the riot?

Estelyn Telcontar 12-03-2004 09:36 AM

Oh, I've had several signature changes - after all, I'm the one who started this thread! :D For a very long time, my signatures have all come from the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, though this is the first in awhile that doesn't echo the "hope" theme of my nick. As to an avatar change, I've considered it, but need to solve the technical side of it first...