The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   In Memoriam - Quote Graveyard (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4595)

Kuruharan 12-03-2004 10:31 AM

Tee hee

Next thing you know, Estelyn will have a dwarf avatar.;)

There is precedent for that sort thing. :p

Elennar Starfire 12-06-2004 09:29 PM

This one doesn't fit my usual mood at all anymore, so I lay to rest

Quote:

curséd whisper ever weeping/clouds of dreaming drifting cold
life beyond though ever sleeping/drown my heart in tears of gold
Now for something more cheerful.

Ainaserkewen 12-06-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

No one can hear you now, only me, only the one who will feast on your living, bleeding soul until the red rider relieves the One of his head to feed upon what is inside. I smile on the day of this trollop's understanding, because it will never come.
I think I'll get rid of this one...
It was a paragraph of a story I wrote about someone with a weird kind of bipolar disorder. The evilness inside his head ended up being very dark and poetic.

Nilpaurion Felagund 12-07-2004 10:26 PM

Taps playing.

1. The Ents were seen in Dunland, looking for: a. Saruman and his secret stash of Longbottom Leaf; b. Entwives; c. Taters; d. Legolas and Gimli. They haven't paid the entrance fee.

2. Much Elven-blood can be found in: a. Helm's Deep (?); b. The Prince of Dol Amroth; c. The Lórien Blood Bank; d. Alqualondë (ooh, harsh!).

3. At the end of the Third Age the Dúnedain population of Arnor: a. were all dead; b. were rebuilding...what was the name again? It's been so long; c. wait. Didn't Hal take all of them?; d. can breathe easier, with Aragorn gone and all.

4. The Company abandoned the passage of Caradhras because: a. Frodo lost the Ring in Hollin; b. winter there is bad for Hobbits; c. Gimli stepped on a hole and fell to Moria; d. Leggy forgot his shoes.

5. The curse on Húrin's Children was caused by: a. a loophole in the free will clause; b. Túrin, the angry man with a talking sword; c. Morgoth (yeah right!); d. stupid staring contests.

(NOTE: Questions 3 and 4 are the complete version. I had to chop a word or seven to make them fit in.)

My personal favourite was question 5 (on account of "stupid staring contests"), although it looks like a lot more liked question 2: Vy ze vay, thanks, Ms. Esty, Ms. Helen, Ms. Evisse, Ms. Nuranar, Ms. Ainaserkewen and NK for the appreciation! :)

My current sig (the line above I intend to . . . ) is a quote from Tom Clancy's Op-Center: Mirror Image, although it sounds eerily like something from Tolkien.

Oh, I almost forgot: whoever can give me the correct answer to all questions above gets a true-to-life stuffed Balrog. With wings and not! ;)

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-08-2004 12:44 PM

Well Nilpaurion, it's a little known secret among teachers that the answer to every multiple choice question is b. ;)

And to what scale is this stuffed Balrog? Would it fit in a Christmas stocking?

Nilpaurion Felagund 12-08-2004 10:29 PM

GASP! (Go away, shocking person!)

:eek:

So it is! All b.

Re stuffed Balrog: It really is a Balrog, albeit one stuffed with goose feathers. So sorry, Eomer, it wouldn't fit in any mortal stocking--although Morgoth's would do.

There are two versions of this novelty item: the winged one (the one that fell in Khazad-dûm), and the un-winged one (the one that fell in Cirith Thoronath). Which one shall it be? :smokin:

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-09-2004 12:07 PM

Hmm, so some Balrogs had wings eh? Sounds like a good debate...

I'll have whichever. It's not wings that I love about Balrogs, it's their cute faces. :)

Gil-Galad 12-09-2004 05:30 PM

Don't forget the great gifts they give yo uat christmas, thanks ot them i've completed my flaming dwarf head collection

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-16-2004 06:15 AM

I leave here...

...if you can fix me up girl, you'll go a long way...

A lyric from a song called Obstacle 2 by my favourite band Interpol. It is not too often you come across a popular band this epic. My only apology is that this particular lyric can in no way be linked to Middle-earth! :rolleyes:

HerenIstarion 12-16-2004 08:06 AM

RIP (maybe to be resurrected someplace in time hence)

Quote:

omelets and sonnets are not bad things in themselves
One of the dearest, as it was one of my own. But I change modes of expression pretty frequently, though moods to be expressed be often alike

cheers

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-16-2004 12:49 PM

I grieve over this Heren. It was much loved.

HerenIstarion 12-16-2004 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
grieve over this Heren. It was much loved.

Thank you, sir, I appreciate that :). If a nostalgic mood is ever upon you, you may find it at the following location, for Post #75 of 'Evil Things' thread is the forest where it has originally sprouted ;)

cheers

Elennar Starfire 12-16-2004 08:27 PM

RIP to my Five for Fighting quote:

Quote:

Though endings are never ever happy, it's the happy endings along the way, that in the end, make it OK.
'Tis ironic that Heren should abandon his sonnet siggy so near the time I switch mine to the ending couplet of my very first ever sonnet...

Lhunardawen 12-19-2004 04:22 AM

Farewell...

"One thing I do know. I was blind, but now I'm just myopic!"

This is John 9:25 changed to suit me. The real verse says "I was blind, but now I see." When I read it, I recognized its truth in my life...though I can't see perfectly. So I changed "I see" to "I'm just myopic" because I am myopic!

Evisse the Blue 12-19-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

I hope this match never ends. When the match ends, the memories begin.
RIP, depressing quote. Time for something more cheerful.

Imladris 12-19-2004 05:49 PM

I lay my Spidey sig to rest:

Quote:

I believe there's a hero in all of us...even though sometimes we have to give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.
Lovely sentiment that...

My new sig is a quote from Lawhead's Taliesin.

Elennar Starfire 12-19-2004 08:42 PM

I was going to read that...I read the Song of Albion series...but I haven't had time for Taliesin yet.

THE Ka 12-21-2004 02:36 PM

Bye bye Half Jack...

It was hard for me to let this one go but, i have put my Half Jack by the Dresden Dolls to rest...

two halves are equal
a cross between two evils
it's not an enviable lot
but if you listen
you'll learn to hear the difference
between the halfs and the half nots

Rest in Peace Amanda! :cool:

~Punk Rock Cabaret Ka~

HerenIstarion 12-30-2004 07:06 PM

Rip

...each for the joy of the working,
And each, in his separate star,
Will draw the thing as he sees it.
For the God of things as they are! (RK)

Mithalwen 01-01-2005 02:08 PM

Gone ..perhaps to return..

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how
not to dance.

'you shall above all things be glad and young ' ee cummings

Because, having been ennobled on the Downs' own New Year's Honours list - to my great delight - I had to make a hard choice and "Bewildering Ghost" just missed the cut.... and maybe it would have been more appropriate... :D

Nuranar 01-02-2005 08:54 AM

I lay aside this gem of that peerless mistress of wit and humor, Jane Austen:

Quote:

Her face was so lovely, that when, in the common cant of praise, she was called a beautiful girl, truth was less violently outraged than usually happens. ~ Sense and Sensibility
Now for a change of gears, if not of era...

Elennar Starfire 01-03-2005 09:30 PM

Quote:

Prismatic glow of fiery rainbow spark
brings colour, and contrasting shows the dark.
Now that I've written another sonnet, I'll just use it's ending couplet instead.

Orual 01-03-2005 09:36 PM

I've just replaced Meg...

Quote:

Christine, you must have been dreaming
Stories like that can't come true
Christine, you're talking in riddles...and it's not like you.
Meg, "The Phantom of the Opera"
...with Dream (or Morpheus) from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series, and I finally found an avatar to match!

Evisse the Blue 01-05-2005 09:37 AM

Rip:

"Well I wish it could be Winter every day,
When the snow starts falling and the Russians start to skate"

I really liked this one, and it fit the holiday mood very well. :)
In case you don't already know :D , the original song (by Wizzard) did not go like this, it was "I wish it could be Christmas every day, when the bells start ringing and the band begins to play".

elronds_daughter 01-05-2005 11:21 AM

Alas, I lay to rest my "CIA" sig...
Quote:

Elrond's other daughter. Who works for the CIA. Whups, now I have to kill you.

Lhunardawen 01-09-2005 01:39 AM

Too lonely. Farewell...
Quote:

Be the leaf. Fall gracefully when your time comes to let go...

Estelyn Telcontar 01-09-2005 03:38 PM

I lay to rest the location I used briefly during the "days between the years", an unnoticed change, I guess...
Quote:

suspended in a temporal vacuum

Fordim Hedgethistle 01-09-2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

Dig and be Dug
In Return
It has served me well for many months, but it was time for a change.

The new siggy is offered with apologies to Squatter, from whom I gained my inspiration. In my defense, I translated this particular passage into Old English a number of years ago and have been waiting for an opportunity to use it.

Lindolirian 01-09-2005 04:35 PM

Okay okay, but you can't run off like that without telling us poor, uneducated waifs what it means!

Fordim Hedgethistle 01-09-2005 04:38 PM

Heh heh -- ain't gonna tell: at least not yet. There are a few people around here who can probably figure it out. Squatter could easily translate it!

I will give a hint, however: think killer robots. . .

Gil-Galad 01-10-2005 05:36 PM

I shall rest my Trogdor Quote to rest, but the tought is still here....

elronds_daughter 01-10-2005 08:40 PM

Farewell....

Quote:

It is much easier to
Change your tune
When your song ain't being played

Maeggaladiel 01-14-2005 01:15 PM

Time to lay this weary sig to rest.
Quote:

<-- Men DO make passes at elves who wear glasses!
And of course, the latest death in the family...
Quote:

"Doctor, what do we do?" /"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more sciencey stuff around."
Ah, my faith in the medical profession runs deep like a mighty underground river of lava.

elronds_daughter 01-16-2005 03:53 PM

R.i.p.

Alas, I bid farewell to
Quote:

everybody with your fist raised high
let me hear your battlecry tonight
stand beside or step aside
we're on the front line
But I replace it with something similar.

Elennar Starfire 01-17-2005 08:27 PM

RIP, lovely couplet.

Quote:

These tears you've shed for all that now is gone
will shatter into frost again at dawn.
And I continue with another siggy of my own creation.

Evisse the Blue 01-20-2005 04:08 AM

Rip:

"Who tied my hands to the wheel? The zodiac turns over me
Somewhere there my fate revealed - I hear but how will I see"

It's from a Nightwish song called "The Siren". Wonderful song, great lyrics.

Rilwen Gamgee 01-22-2005 01:54 AM

Alas, my old signature must lay to rest; I would keep it, but there's the 3-line rule to consider... Analogies are wonderful :cool: :

Quote:

"A film is like a muffin. You make it. You put it on the table. One might say, 'Oh, I don't like it.' One might say it's the best muffin ever made. One might say it's an awful muffin." -- Denzel Washington
As to my new one, it's quite a lovely psalm-- and a long one, at that! My signature is but a snippet.

Lindolirian 01-24-2005 03:24 PM

Gone:

Quote:

"A good reputation is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth."
I liked this one because of the attitude toward reputation which is a lot like it is here on the Downs, and also because of the day of death thing which goes right along with the morbid theme. But I got tired of it. :rolleyes: I'm still leaving the other one up because it's not ready to come down yet.:)

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-24-2005 11:23 PM

And so I say farewell.

1. Aragorn: What do you expect? You're a stupid and pointless character.

2. Théoden: So eat, drink and be Pippin! Forget the fact that tomorrow we may be needed to ride our horses at breakneck speeds!

3. Sauron: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.

4. Éomer: Is it just me, or does he keep talking, like we're listening or something?

5. Beacon man #1: How did we get stuck with this job anyway?

6. Merry: Raised to the ground? Isn't that an oxymoron?

7. Aragorn: But it’s near the water. I’m afraid of the water.

8. Boromir: I'm just here for the refreshments.

9. Faramir: In place of a dark lord, you will have a QUEEN! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the...

10. Faramir: Uh . . . Orcs killed him?

These are quotes from the New Movie Script project.

Too much links. The golden letters blind me.

Rimbaud 01-25-2005 04:14 AM

Never saw moons knew the meaning of the sea.

Ah, Nick.