The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Return of the King photo guide and visual companion available now (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10096)

Knight of Gondor 11-15-2003 05:35 PM

Return of the King photo guide and visual companion available now

I was in Wal-Mart today, and if you were there, you would have seen a distinguished-looking Knight of Gondor carefully combing the children's book section looking for the RotK photo guide and/or visual companion. I finally located it! There's some great pictures there, but not too many that we haven't already seen.<P>There were a few spoilers, but I don't know if I want to post them here or not...most likely I'll just stick them in my Rumors for RotK thread. I didn't want to buy either book, because, let's face it, the only value those things have is pre-movie, and once the movie comes out (O hapy day! O sad day after!) the book sort of doesn't mean much any more.

Meela 11-16-2003 07:28 AM

I got the photo guide the day it came out. I'm getting the visual companion either in the post-Xmas/January sales period, or when the dvd comes out (in my local store, you can get it for £2.99 with the dvd, which is how I got the other two VCs)<P>I'm now also contemplating getting Weapons and Warfare. I was flicking through it yesterday, and I spied a whole page on Denethor. Naturally I squealed the place down, and probably soaked the book in drool. I might add it to my Xmas wish list. The book, not the drool, that is.

Daisy Brambleburr 11-16-2003 09:42 AM

I got Weapons and Warfare yesterday! I haven't read it properly yet (just looked at the pictures and read bits here and there) and, judging on what I've seen, I reccomend it. It has information on each individual character's armor and weapons (with lovely lovely Boromir), stuff on all the battles (Last Alliance, Pellennor fields) and lots of lovely lovely pictures! Quite a lot from RotK (especially Minas Tirith- looking good people!) so if your after spoilers have a leaf through. Whilst I was in the book store I looked at the RotK visual companion. I don't own any of them, but again, there were some spoilers and some v.good pictures. <BR>Okay, I'm quite excited now. Time for some reading, methinks!

Failivrin 11-16-2003 04:07 PM

i read them both yesterday in teh shop (cheapskate, me?) and wanted to throw the photo guide across the room before perhaps burning it and dancing around the flames:<P>SARUMAN WAS CUT OUT SO ARWEN COULD GET GRIEVOUSLY ILL AND WHINE ABOUT HOW SHE WANTS TO SEE ARAGORN ONE LAST TIME? GIVE ME A BREAK.

Silmiel of Imladris 11-16-2003 05:38 PM

Uhhh.... What?!!

ArathorofBarahir 11-16-2003 06:32 PM

I bought the visual companion and the photo guide on friday and they both rock! The pictures are absolutely awesome.

Arwen1858 11-17-2003 11:37 AM

Yesterday, I went to Wal-mart and found 2 RotK books, each full of photos. In one, I don't remember which, but I think it was the photo guide, on the last page, it said something to this effect: <BR>((WARNING: may contain spoilers!! If you haven't read the books, you may not want to read this!!))<P><BR>"Gollum was trying to get the ring, but got to Mt. Doom too late."<BR>I don't remember the exact quote, but it said Gollum got to Mt. Doom too late to get the Ring from Frodo and Sam!! I talked it over with 2 of my friends last night, to make sure I wasn't the only one who found that a bit strange, and they agreed with me. He doesn't get there too late!! He takes the Ring from Frodo! They wouldn't change the ending of the movie that much, would they? Wouldn't it be that whoever wrote the book didn't know what they were talking about?? Right??

Failivrin 11-17-2003 02:34 PM

ooooooh, i'm getting back into my anti- PJ mood. it always happens when i read the photo guide, ALWAYS.<P>i thought the ROTK guide was a bit stupid really. it told you the whole story. I thought the end was weird too.

HCIsland 11-17-2003 09:11 PM

There's lots of mistakes in these types of promotional material, so you have to take it all with a grain of salt. If something sounds wrong (like Gollum not getting to Mount Doom in time to attack Frodo) it very likely is.<P>H.C.

Enorëiel 11-18-2003 08:41 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Gollum was trying to get the ring, but got to Mt. Doom too late."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you freakin serious? Peter Jackson would have gone WAY too far if that is indeed what's going to happen! <P>I went to Media Play on Saturday and I did see ROTK visual companion. I didn't get a chance to actually read it but I did get to flip through it quickly (my friend was getting pretty annoyed that i was spending all my time in the LOTR section). They had some awesome pictures! My money is scarce right now so... I know what's going on my Christmas list. <P>Oh and side note... I believe I've found the answer to all the non-willing-to-read-LOTR people (well maybe...). But while I was at Media Play I saw 'A Dummy's guide to Middle Earth'. Finally! Just what we need!

Knight of Gondor 11-18-2003 09:24 PM

I think the "Gollum got there too late" line was just to provide a SMALL amount of an indication as to how it will end. Don't worry, I'm 99% sure that the climax will work out the way we know it. How am I this sure? Here's a hint: the ToyBiz There and Back Again toy line has a Frodo that is apparently missing a finger. (Or something)