The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quotable Quotes (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Quotes in other languages (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=10571)

Aganzir 11-09-2009 10:16 AM

*bump*

Nerwen? Somebody? :Merisu:

Nerwen 11-11-2009 02:49 AM

Sorry, sorry. I forgot about this thread.

I'll think of something...

Erendis 11-11-2009 05:37 AM

Hell of a surprise!Two new threads!

Nerwen 02-05-2010 05:45 AM

...Aaannnd I forgot about it again.:rolleyes:

Well, then, this thread can go to whoever wants it. Clearly, I'm just not a responsible thread-owner.

Eorl of Rohan 04-15-2010 03:53 AM

An extremely easy one to get the thread back on track!

Gil-Galad neun elpedeleui wangeutsubnida;
Geuieh daehaesuh hapetaneun saramdeleun selpegeh noraebulejiyo.

Erendis 04-19-2010 02:41 PM

Easy it seems,but in which language?

Eorl of Rohan 04-19-2010 09:51 PM

South Korean :D

Though the first word pretty much gave it away... and the semicolon.

Erendis 04-20-2010 10:57 AM

"Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing."

Or at least I guess it is that!:D

Eorl of Rohan 04-23-2010 08:38 AM

Of course. +bows to your wisdom, formal South Korean style+

The floor is yours, Erendis.

Erendis 04-23-2010 11:40 AM

Thank you very much ,Eorl*grubbs in a ribb-breaking hug with the traditional Greek way*.So,let me see....

Here is one in Indonesian:

"Dan mengapa tidak? Tentu Anda tidak kafir nubuat hanya karena Anda membantu mereka terjadi. Anda tidak benar-benar mengira Anda bahwa semua petualangan Anda dan lolos dikelola oleh keberuntungan belaka?"

I am not so sure about the quality of the text so just in case any Indonesian comes around,please forgive me!:Merisu:

Eorl of Rohan 04-27-2010 09:17 AM

Can you give me a hint, Erendis?

All I understood was mengapa - and as it means 'doing' in Indonesian, not much help there.

Erendis 04-27-2010 09:43 AM

Right away!
It is in "The Hobbit" and the last two words mean "sheer luck".

Eorl of Rohan 05-11-2010 02:36 AM

Eeeh... I read The Hobbit again just to find out which passage had the words 'sheer luck', and the only phrase I could come up with was:

"They were just giving up hope, when Dori stumbled across him by sheer luck." - The Hobbit

Is this it?

Guinevere 05-13-2010 10:17 AM

It can't be that, I think, because of the length and the two question-marks.
It rather looks like it could be Gandalf to Bilbo, right at the end of the book:

"and why should not they prove true? Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies because you had a hand in bringing them about yourself? You don't really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere good luck, just for your sole benefit?"

Although "mere good luck" is not right at the end of the sentence...:rolleyes:

Galadriel55 11-18-2010 09:59 PM

why is this translation so difficult?

If it wasn't for sheer luck, I'd have thought that it refers to "One ring to rule them all...", because of the four times the words Anda tidak appear there. But your hint and the question mark ruin the guess.

Galadriel55 06-06-2011 08:22 PM

I randomly felt like reviving this thread, and test my knowledge of Hebrew... Erendis, if you come back, I'm really curious about your quote...

Quote:

"Prida, ____!" hu tsa'ak. "Haim ani lo amarti lehha: im ata ta'avor hadlatot shel Moria, tazhir? Ze ra she'ani dibarti nahhon. Eize tikva yesh lanu bli ot'hha?"

Andsigil 02-16-2014 09:48 AM

Anyone feel like reviving this thread? I think I got this right:

"Ver, medio hermano! Esto es más aguda que la lengua. Inténtelo de nuevo usurpar mi lugar y el amor de mi padre, y tal vez va a librar los Noldor de quien busca ser el amo de esclavos ".

Galadriel55 02-16-2014 12:36 PM

Ver, medio hermano! - sounds like an exclamation directed to a person/group.

Esto es más aguda que la lengua. - this is more/less something than the something.

Inténtelo de nuevo usurpar mi lugar y el amor de mi padre, y tal vez va a librar los Noldor de quien busca ser el amo de esclavos ". - new usurp my something and the love of my father... free the Noldor... slaves?

Ah, found it.

'See, half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls."

Aganzir 02-16-2014 12:36 PM

I feel like reviving this thread! I don't speak Spanish though, although certain words serve as hints.

Andsigil 02-16-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 689271)
Ver, medio hermano! - sounds like an exclamation directed to a person/group.

Esto es más aguda que la lengua. - this is more/less something than the something.

Inténtelo de nuevo usurpar mi lugar y el amor de mi padre, y tal vez va a librar los Noldor de quien busca ser el amo de esclavos ". - new usurp my something and the love of my father... free the Noldor... slaves?

Ah, found it.

'See, half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls."

You got it.

Admittedly, I was going to substitute "duende" for "Noldor" to make it a bit harder. Duende are more akin to sprites or gnomes than to the elves of Middle Earth, however, so it didn't seem quite legal for the game.

Galadriel55 02-16-2014 01:43 PM

Let's test my Hebrew again.

Quote:

Shalosh tib'ot bishvil melachei hashadonim tachat hashamaim, sheva bishvil adonei hagamadim bebatim shel even, teisha bishvil ha'anashim bnei tmuta nidunim lamut, echad bishvil ha'adon hashachor al kis'o hashachor ba'aretz ____, sheshachvim ba tzelim.

Andsigil 02-17-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 689276)
Let's test my Hebrew again.

Well, I'm stumped.

I think Hebrew only has about 7 million speakers worldwide. Not sure how many are Downers. ;)

Mithalwen 02-18-2014 07:41 AM

I am not a Hebrew speaker but I did do sunday school and confirmation class back in the day and was also trained not quite so long ago in various techniques for decoding unknown languages in Linguistics class. So on the basis that adonai means Lord or master, sheva could be a variant of "shiva" the seven day mourning period in Jewish practice, and that several words are repeated I speculatively looked up a few more words such as hashachor meaning black and guess it is the ring verse. Malachi the name means angel or messenger but here I think it is used for Elf. So "Three for the Elven kings under the sky, seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone, nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the dark lord on his dark throne in the land of (Mordor redacted) where the shadows lie."

Galadriel55 02-21-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 689290)
I am not a Hebrew speaker but I did do sunday school and confirmation class back in the day and was also trained not quite so long ago in various techniques for decoding unknown languages in Linguistics class. So on the basis that adonai means Lord or master, sheva could be a variant of "shiva" the seven day mourning period in Jewish practice, and that several words are repeated I speculatively looked up a few more words such as hashachor meaning black and guess it is the ring verse. Malachi the name means angel or messenger but here I think it is used for Elf. So "Three for the Elven kings under the sky, seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone, nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the dark lord on his dark throne in the land of (Mordor redacted) where the shadows lie."

That's the right quote. Shiva comes from the word sheva - seven. Malachei means "Kings of", if my grammar and conjugations are not totally off, but it is similar to the word for "angel". They have different spellings in Hebrew. I thought "bishvil"=for would give it away, but turns out it was other things.

On to you now! :)

Mithalwen 02-24-2014 03:47 PM

Only French this time..
Emballez vous Maître Sac!

Pervinca Took 02-24-2014 03:55 PM

That sounds like "Pack yourself up, Master Bag!"

Mithalwen 02-24-2014 03:59 PM

It is. 8 minutes.. a new low..:(

Pervinca Took 02-24-2014 04:08 PM

Not a low at all ... anything hobbit-orientated is generally well-known to me, and I happen to speak French. And you have taught me the verb "emballer." It's all good. ;)

I also have a copy of a French translation of LOTR, although I didn't consult it.

Pervinca Took 02-24-2014 04:20 PM

This one is likely to be quicker. Please pardon any inaccuracies. Mithalwen's French is better than mine.

Nous avons entendu parler des cornes, qui sonnaient dans les collines
Une épée qui brillait dans le royaume du sud.

Edit: Just realised that the Past Historic would probably be more appropriate. I learned to translate that, many years ago, but never wrote compositions in it as far as I recall.

HerenIstarion 02-25-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 689376)
This one is likely to be quicker. Please pardon any inaccuracies. Mithalwen's French is better than mine.

Nous avons entendu parler des cornes, qui sonnaient dans les collines
Une épée qui brillait dans le royaume du sud.

Edit: Just realised that the Past Historic would probably be more appropriate. I learned to translate that, many years ago, but never wrote compositions in it as far as I recall.

We heard of the horns in the hills ringing,
the swords shining in the South-kingdom.

Mithalwen 02-25-2014 07:39 AM

I had to write my dissertation in the past historic... thank Collins for their "Gem" pocket verb tables. It does avoid some complexity of agreements you get in compound tenses. True class is of course to use the imperfect subjunctive in speech. I am yet to reach such lofty heights...

Galadriel55 02-25-2014 05:20 PM

*head explodes*

I think I'll stick with my choice between passe compose and imparfait. :cool:

Mithalwen 02-26-2014 07:54 AM

Don't worry Galadriel, as I say I only needed really in the final year and my tutor who was not in the first flush of youth even then said that his landlady, for his year abroad had been the only person he had ever heard use the imperfect subjunctive.. so it is possible that noone has spoken it for fifty years... ;) and I am sure his landlady was the sort of person who vouvoyered her husband..

Pervinca Took 02-26-2014 01:59 PM

I thought that was something very naughty until I remembered what it means! :eek:

Mithalwen is right, of course. Is it swords, not sword, then? I'm a hobbit-gal who has only read about Rohan and Gondor. ;)

Mithalwen 02-26-2014 03:08 PM

Oh it is absolutely filthy..but. not as much as tutoyering...:Merisu: