The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Haudh-en-Ndengin (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   "Three Rings for the Elven Kings UNDER THE SKY" (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5937)

Iarhen 03-13-2003 07:58 AM

"Three Rings for the Elven Kings UNDER THE SKY"

What does this mean? "Under the sky"?

Ive always wondered what this means. Does it mean that the rings are for the Elven Kings outside Valinor? Then Valinor is "above" the sky? Because I always thought that when Eru removed Valinor, it remained on the planet, only on a different and hidden location. The boats then could sail towards the lands.

But, again, if the quote reffers to the fact that Valinor is above the sky... Because the other remaining Elven Kings are the ones left in Valinor...

What do you think?

Carlas 03-13-2003 08:10 AM

'Under the sky' is exactly that, under the sky. But it does not mean that Valinor is in the sky, the bearers of those rings end up going to Valinor, which is under the sky. Also, elves are not in one spot, they are situated in many different areas(Rivendell,Lothlorien,etc). I think it shows that elves are found in many places in Middle-Earth and out.

Iarhen 03-13-2003 08:20 AM

The 3 rings for the elven kings under the sky remain being the 3 rings of elven power as long as the One Ring exists. When the elven kings go to Valinor, the rings are not anymore what they used to be. They do not have power anymore, so when the elven kings go to Valinor, the rings are not anymore...

And yes, I presume Valinor is above the sky, to avoid any further plots being schemed against the Valar by Sauron.

Malva Headstrong 03-13-2003 11:15 AM

Quote:

when the elven kings go to Valinor, the rings are not anymore
But when Gil-galad died (went to the Halls of Mandos in Valinor) Vilya kept its power. I donīt think that the "sky" refers to Valinor īcause in some part of "The Council of Elrond" Gandalf says, that the great rings belong the ME, not to Valinor. Maybe "under the sky" shows the differences between elves and man, "doomed to die".

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Malva Headstrong ]

Birdland 03-13-2003 11:25 AM

"Under the sky" is just a poetic concept, coming from beliefs that the universe is made of levels, Heaven, Earth, and the Underworld. Mortals are standing on the Earth, with Heaven above. Therefore we are "under the sky".

Mornie Alantie 03-13-2003 11:37 AM

I agree that the sky has some ME elven concept but I also think that it is just something poetic.

Iarhen 03-13-2003 11:43 AM

Even though Gil Galad died, Vilya kept its power because it was not tied to the life force of its bearer.

And I know it has some poetic sense in it, but it has to do something with the remaining elves on M.E. The other quotes that go after the description of the other groups of rings mean something about the races that hold them.

"for men, who above all desire power"

etc.

Valarungol 03-13-2003 12:11 PM

Quote:

Because I always thought that when Eru removed Valinor, it remained on the planet, only on a different and hidden location. The boats then could sail towards the lands ...
Is Valinor on the planet? I really don't think so. The Planet only exists because the Valar bent the world into a sphere so that humans could never sail into the undying lands. Valar then would seem to be neither upon the surface of the earth, nor simply floating out in space. The business of sailing the straight road clearly implies (at least to me) and Valinor is outside of the reality of ME. That is, it's in an alternate plane of existence.

the guy who be short 03-13-2003 04:07 PM

i always thought under the sky just meant that elves lived under the sky in the open, rather than dwarves in their halls of stone. maybe he's simply comparing them without valinor in mind?

Inderjit Sanghera 03-13-2003 04:59 PM

Quote:

Is Valinor on the planet? I really don't think so.
It is still on Arda.

As for the question, I think it was just a poetic reference, as Tolkien muses over the ring verse many times, in early draftings. (HoME 6)and uses lines like "under moon and star"

Lindril Arvilya 03-13-2003 08:24 PM

It rhymes nicely.

Lush 03-13-2003 08:32 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering what the word "Kings" in the title of this thread refers to, and whether or not that's a subtle hint that Thranduil was meant to have one of the rings, but didn't, or perhaps a reference to Galadriel's appearance, or maybe an allegory that involves Elvis somehow?

Iarwain 03-13-2003 08:47 PM

Hmm. What do I think?

I agree with Lush. Definately talking about Elvis there.

Come on guys! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Look at the line after that:

"Seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone"

He's just making a simple relationship about where they live. Elves live out in the open, under the sky, and dwarves live in caves, in their halls of stone. Men are completely different, so he has to change the theme at line three. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Iarwain

GlingleglingleglingleFairy 03-13-2003 10:56 PM

I think 'under the sky' refers to the fact that Elves love the stars and wide, free-ness so they are under the sky and not bottled up or hidden somewhere.

Lindril Arvilya 03-14-2003 12:52 PM

Heh. Bottled Elves. Get yours here.

lilith 03-14-2003 05:32 PM

Just another word to Valinor. I always pictured it as being in the "sky". I remember that when the Valar reshaped Arda after the Fall of Numenor they removed Valinor. Arda was flat in the First Age, then it is described as a round "planet". Therefore you need to go on the straight way to Valinor, to any "earthly" place you need to follow the circle.

Now to the question asked in the topic:
I always thought that under the sky is a reference to their awaikening under the sky full of stars. It is a sky by night in my mind.
But hey, I'm free to all interpretations.

ciao lilith

Inderjit Sanghera 03-15-2003 09:04 AM

Quote:

Valar reshaped Arda after the Fall of Numenor they removed Valinor.
Eru reshaped Arda not the Valar. As we can see in 'Myths Transformed' (HoME 10) Tolkien was beggining to work in a policy, which didn't incorporate the flat--->round earth theory.