The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Your name in Elvish (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12025)

Neurion 07-08-2005 01:41 PM

Your name in Elvish

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, or if anyone's done something similar recently, but I just thought I'd ask.

Do you know what your christian name translates to in Sindarin or Quenya?

Mine translates as Neurion, in Quenya, apparently.

davem 07-08-2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurion
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, or if anyone's done something similar recently, but I just thought I'd ask.

Do you know what your christian name translates to in Sindarin?

Mine translates as Neurion, but some of probably know that already.

I got a little book at last Oxonmoot which translates a couple of hundred English names into Sindarin. Apparently its not a precise science, & as the author says: 'Say the name aloud: it should sound pleasant to the ear: Tolkien intended Sindarin to sound beautiful when heard'.

Can't find 'Neurion' in it....

Neurion 07-08-2005 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem
I got a little book at last Oxonmoot which translates a couple of hundred English names into Sindarin. Apparently its not a precise science, & as the author says: 'Say the name aloud: it should sound pleasant to the ear: Tolkien intended Sindarin to sound beautiful when heard'.

Can't find 'Neurion' in it....

Interesting.

I've not been able to find a Sindarin translation (for "supplanter", which may or may not exist in that language) of my first name except on two sites, with disclaimers, of course. The Quenya equivelent for it that I've come up with is "Encaitar", apparently.

the guy who be short 07-09-2005 05:35 AM

Neurion looks like Quenya to me. Neuro means follower or succesor. Neurion could mean "of the followers" (what the ending implies) but I'm not sure. I would render that "Neuroron." In any case, I am no expert at Quenya, but the name definitely looks more Quenyan than sindarin to my eyes.

I was named in Gujarati, an Indic tongue where names still correspond to actual words, meanig the translation of my name is even more accurate than an English name would be. My name, literally, means "Victory" (and can be used in sentences in the language).
I translated this into Quenya, and voila! my name is Apaire. Interestingly, my father's name also translates as Victory, so I'm Apaire son of Apaire, or Apaire Apairion.

VanimaEdhel 07-11-2005 12:17 PM

I feel embarrassed to say I had to look up what a "christian name" was...I looked up my first name in the Council of Elrond name database in any event. In Sindarin, the source I looked it up in gives three choices: Taulaes, Tólaes and Laesdaw. In Quenya, it gives the name Mámë. It also has has Rohirric, for which it says Lytelamb.

Neurion 07-11-2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Neurion looks like Quenya to me. Neuro means follower or succesor. Neurion could mean "of the followers" (what the ending implies) but I'm not sure. I would render that "Neuroron." In any case, I am no expert at Quenya, but the name definitely looks more Quenyan than sindarin to my eyes.

Thanks for pointing that out.

(what was that old expression regarding one's face being red?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanimaEdhel
I feel embarrassed to say I had to look up what a "christian name" was...I looked up my first name in the Council of Elrond name database in any event. In Sindarin, the source I looked it up in gives three choices: Taulaes, Tólaes and Laesdaw. In Quenya, it gives the name Mámë. It also has has Rohirric, for which it says Lytelamb.

Not as embarrassed as I feel about confusing Quenya and Sindarin. :rolleyes:

Oh well.

Alcarillo 07-11-2005 04:03 PM

There's a big bunch of Quenya translations of names at http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html. My Quenya name is Alcarillo, my screenname. As for Sindarin names, you'll have to search elsewhere.

VanimaEdhel 07-11-2005 04:34 PM

Alcarillo - your signature reminds me of my high school concert choir. They insist on having us do one performance with the orchestra a year, and quite often it's a Requiem or something. This was the last year they're doing it (notice right before I graduate), since it's always such a disaster with the orchestra. Plus some parents were getting upset, since the majority of our families are not Christian, but we seem to only to Christian songs.

And Neurion: when I say either Sindarin or Quenya to my parents they look at me like I'm speaking - well - another language. They have no clue what I'm talking about. So at least you're a step ahead of them.

Alcarillo 07-11-2005 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanimaEdhel
Alcarillo - your signature reminds me of my high school concert choir. They insist on having us do one performance with the orchestra a year, and quite often it's a Requiem or something. This was the last year they're doing it (notice right before I graduate), since it's always such a disaster with the orchestra. Plus some parents were getting upset, since the majority of our families are not Christian, but we seem to only to Christian songs.

I just found my signature while flipping through (skipping ahead in, actually) one of my Latin books, and I liked how it sounded. But off topic...

Neurion sounds Quenya to me, and somewhat like the word neuron, too. As to its Sindarin equivalent, I'm clueless.

Orominuialwen 07-11-2005 05:16 PM

My name is very uncommon, but it does translate to 'Joy' in English, so in Quenya it would be Alassë. My middle name is a derived from the name Mary, so it would just be María. (Tolkien used this in his Quenya translation of the Hail Mary, rather than translating the meaning of the name.)

Elianna 07-11-2005 05:18 PM

My name is Erugwest or Erugwaedh in Sindarin. That looks weird now that I write it out, but it sounds cool enough. *goes and checks Quenya* Eruvérë or Eruvanda. Those look better, I think I like Eruvérë best of the four it looks the most Elven too with the accents.

Sapphire_Flame 07-11-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neurion
Interesting.

I've not been able to find a Sindarin translation (for "supplanter", which may or may not exist in that language) of my first name except on two sites, with disclaimers, of course. The Quenya equivelent for it that I've come up with is "Encaitar", apparently.

Heh. That means you have my brother's name! :D

My name translates to Aranel. I found this on a Quenya names site, but I don't know if there is a difference between the Quenyan and the Sindarin in this case. Does anyone here know?

~ Saphy ~

wilwarin538 07-13-2005 10:06 AM

According to the CoE site, my Quenya name is Wilwarin, as you all know. My Sindarin name is Gwilwileth. Butterfly doesn't translate directly into Rohirric but 'coloured fly' is Fléohíw and 'coloured wing' is Bléofelper.

Calan 08-04-2005 12:18 PM

Going simply off the links posted above, my real name works out to Erunámo, the Judge

Thinlómien 08-08-2005 05:25 AM

My name translates to English as 'immortal', so could anyone, who's better than me in sindarin and/or quenya, what is 'immortal' in sindarin or quenya?

Elianna 08-09-2005 09:56 AM

(With accordance to Council of Elrond and Hisweloke...) "Immortal" would be alfirin in Sindarin and ilfirin in Quenya. It's also the name of a flower. Lucky you. ;)

Thinlómien 08-16-2005 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elianna
(With accordance to Council of Elrond and Hisweloke...) "Immortal" would be alfirin in Sindarin and ilfirin in Quenya. It's also the name of a flower. Lucky you. ;)

That sounds nice. Thanks, Elianna.

Joy 08-16-2005 02:14 PM

Mine is Aina Alassë in Quenya. I haven't worked out what that is in Sindarin yet, though.

I posted my name in the OE thread also - Engel Liss.

vanwalossien 08-17-2005 04:08 AM

My name means mistress (female master, not the stealer of husbands :p), which translates into Quenya as Heriel and Sindarin as Hiriel. I use Hiriel as my screenname almost everywhere, because I think it sounds better than Heriel, and at times some of my friends even call me Hiriel in real life.. :)

Nilpaurion Felagund 09-07-2005 08:01 AM

Kuchiyose: Edo Tensei.

Louis (derived from Lewis) is from some Old Germanic name, Hludowig, I think, which means 'famous + war'--or is it 'fame + warrior'? Enedwaith, I can choose 'ohtar' to represent this, but since I'm a self-styled son of Finrod, and the second element of his name in Quenya, 'aráto', means champion, I decided to use that one instead.

Allen has no known meaning--it is said to have been derived from some pre-Latin tribe, Alanus--but don't trust my memory. I decided, hey, if you change the vowels a bit you'd come up with elen! So I used that, too.

It results in Elenrod, or Elenaráto. Although that is not exactly my name in Elvish, it sounds good to me.

Dimcollowen 09-07-2005 08:11 AM

I have no idea what my name means....could one of you find out for me? my name is Rose....or Michelle either or is good. THank you!!!

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-17-2005 02:58 AM

Dimcollowen

Hey.
Well i have been searching a bit and it seems your name wpuld be: Losille or Meril
(Meril being a Sindarin translation of Sam's wife)
(Both is a translation of Rose)

I do not know if it is right i just looked it up. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-17-2005 03:00 AM

MICHELLE: Manveri

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-17-2005 03:07 AM

How could i forget.

My own name is Rune (in case you did not gues it allready)

In danish i it means "Hemmelig visdom" witch if being translated to english would be : Secret lore

And aperently if you translat it to elvish, then the direct translation would be: Nolwe but since it is a name it proper translation would be Nolvo.

(I liked Nolwe better)

Glirdan 09-17-2005 08:07 AM

My Sindarin name, which is the only name I have, is Glirdan (as you can tell) which means poet. So I'm also thinking for something along those lines for my personal tittle.